Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

You need someone who, if you show their picture to someone who never watched wrestling, he would at least be interested in more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Evergreen

https://twitter.com/jonny_is_good/status/573500353888546816

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

I remember a few months ago there was an ad that you could come to such and such an indie show and meet Izzy and buy Izzy merch and pay $30 to hug Izzy. I thought at the time "this seems bad". And now, it seems I was right as it let people like this become emboldened.

My point here is this is all Bayley's fault.

Paying $30 to a hug a child is uh...whew, that's a thing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

"Step this way for the Izzy photo studio, please."

"But Izzy is over there, and this room is marked WARNING: Contains Three Lions!"

"And yet."

E: and yet perhaps it is izzy's dad whom should greet the lions, for deciding that he must monetize his child's fandom regardless of how it affects her.

The cruelest fate: locked in a room with the England team

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I will never in a million years understand the people whose entire personal Twitter accounts are dedicated to a single wrestler/athlete/celebrity/etc.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1080523335291887616

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Clearly that means he cut the tags out to make himself untraceable

Chilling parallels to the Somerton Man

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You know I wasn't sincerely saying he's mentally ill right? I should probably just have said "you have some bad opinions" tbf but come the gently caress on. If Jeff was honestly offended I apologize to him.

Please shut up and just kick Jeff's rear end, I have money on this

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The problematic part is not the origin of the term "stan," it's describing yourself as a passionate supporter of a small child.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hating Dave Meltzer remains one of the most inexplicable things in the fandom

I unironically enjoy the weekly game of dirtsheet telephone that gets played every time a new Observer is released. It's a lot of fun seeing how their headlines can completely skew the meaning of what he actually reported.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

You know, I can't help but look at AEW and think this is EXACTLY like the Haitian Revolution of 1791 - 1804. Like, it's basically 1:1

Something something something Too Sweet Overture

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Stop interacting with anyone who ever seriously uses the phrase "virtue signaling"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Right thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Imagine expecting a Japanese person to move to the US at like 35 and learn the language well enough in three years to believably act in front of a million people. I spent four years learning French as a child who was capable of learning things and all I got out of it was an improved ability to sing Psycho Killer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance owns and John Ford spent the whole of production mocking John Wayne so it's the best of all worlds

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This whole sub is a nightmare

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

davidbix posted:

Also they were literally just part of one of the greatest segments in the history of televised wrestling 5 weeks ago.

My brain might be broken because I can't remember what you're referring to

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I was looking at this sub for the actual rating numbers and their recurring weekly ratings thread has a disclaimer stating that AEW and NXT are listed alphabetically "to avoid any bias." Jesus Christ.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have always hated the fact that AEW puts things on TV that are worth watching.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm pretty sure it's more likely that Edge, Bryan, etc. haven't been miraculously healed and instead WWE just doesn't really give a poo poo about the health and safety of their not employees.

The way Dave discussed it recently made it sound kind of the opposite, like WWE's doctors are incompetently telling guys they can't wrestle ever again and other doctors are telling them otherwise.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

OctoberCountry posted:

I love watching them try to name Performance Center success stories and just listing the worst wrestlers in the company

That or they name people who had very successful careers before joining WWE, like Performance Center success story Finn Balor

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is me not wanting to be at little league practice circa 1996

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Like what would Dave or Bryan even get out of this conspiracy arrangement? They report good ratings for AEW when they beat NXT, they generally like the show, and in return they DON'T get to report exclusive scoops? Unless someone thinks they are literally getting secret briefcases of money every month for... nothing, really, what would it be in it for anyone?

People are Reddit are permanently brain poisoned by Gamergate and absolutely believe that all journalists are being bribed all the time

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Seams posted:

what da gently caress is a smokeshow

Wardlow

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When was the bug shift in the IWC or has it always been like this? I'm the early 2000s I was very much on the wrestling boards and chatrooms and just saying you liked the WWE in any capacity would get you labeled a mark but it's like completely reversed now.

www dot reddit dot com

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

Doesn't SRS do star ratings?

Yeah but he does them on a 1-10 scale.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

Wow gently caress that guy

Agreed. 1-5? Fine. 1-7, even, I'd be OK with. But all the way up to 10?? Leave some numbers for the rest of us, Sean.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Imagine using an Omega gif to make this point

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Austin, Foley, and the like never got out of wrestling. Wrestling fans love them but even at its peak, the most you got from a non-wrestling fan was "Oh, that is the guy who gives people middle fingers and is on that MTV show? And beat his wife?" for Austin and "he seems nice. Was he on a nickelodeon thing?" for Foley. Like, I suspect the Bellas are more popular among the general public than Austin ever was.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Incredible

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I am blown away that someone seriously said this as if it's an insult

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

That’s fine I just think gamers shouldn’t be allowed on TV

Well I guess AEW is now exclusive to YouTube

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's a comedian, actor, and Forbes contributor.

"Forbes contributor" is barely more prestigious these days than Something Awful Forums contributor

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Now now, be nice. He has half the brain you do!

That guy has one quarter of a normal human brain??

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How are these people so loving bad at watching TV? They literally said it out loud on Dynamite: Danielson is going through the Dark Order to piss off Page and to hurt his friends to provoke him. And to show off, because he feels like he's on a whole other level compared to Page and the Dark Order, so he can just take them apart at his leisure and then finish the coup de grâce by taking Hangman's belt.

B-b-b-b-but his title challenge, y he need 2 ern it bad AEW booking?!!!!?!!!

But what about Paige

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cult of Pies posted:

The r/SquaredCircle mods have decided to stop Zero Fucks Friday. Naturally, the WWE fans some users are not taking it well.

Someone please shut off my internet, I am addicted to reading these replies and it is slowly driving me insane.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

I've never really understood the scalpers argument, because if scalpers are buying tickets en masse doesn't that just mean they expect that there will be a very high demand for them?

I mean, what do these people even think that scalpers do? Just buy a huge amount of tickets and hoard them for no reason?

You have already put more thought into this argument than all of the fed stans combined

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's actually The Edge. You're thinking of Bono

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pylons posted:

The pairing got off to a rough start with the endless "Sting speaks" segments but ever since the Street Fight its been basically perfect. Sting doesn't feel like he detracts or draws attention away from Darby, and Darby is still a strong singles competitor.

Sting and Darby have a real "cool mom who woke up at 2am to drive you home from the bar" vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Drakkel posted:

Don't forget having the people involved wrestle each other every week for like 5 straight months.

People literally think AEW doesn't have storylines because they don't do these things and it's bonkers.

Learning that people think AEW's storytelling is bad because you have to watch the shows to follow it was genuinely a mind blowing moment.