Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Please refer to Mr. Babinsack as Professional Wrestling Intellectual, Joseph L. Babinsack, Jr. TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I was talking about scummy reviewers with some friends and remembered the legendary Babinsack email to Smart Mark Video.

quote:

Greetings!

Joe Babinsack here. I write reviews for Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer/Figure Four web site.

I would be very, very much interested in reviewing the Ultra Mantis Black "Strangeways" DVD and hyping it. I also write for other publications, and would spread the word anywhere I can.

(I already asked CHIKARA, but they said they can't give me this one.)

If there are any other opportunities to review, I'd love to see any other DVD's. I try to cover the indy wrestling scene (just like you guys!) and I get regular copies from ROH, Dragon Gate/Evolve and other promotions, as well as books from ECW Press and others.

In the end, I may just buy this DVD, but I've found that the dynamics of a review copy isn't the same as paying for one. If I buy it, it will be hype for the ROH/CHIKARA angle, not so much for the DVD.

Thanks much,
Joe Babinsack

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe Punk doesn't want a bodyguard because they probably aren't cheap to have around.
Mason Ryan is looking for work.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

First, TNA found growth when they were on Fox Sports Net (FSN) back in 2004 while airing at different times and days depending on which FSN channel it was airing on.
This is deceptive as hell. Nobody ever succeeded on FSN. Any TNA growth was due to spotty national TV being better than PPV and improved creative which won't materialize simply by leaving Spike.

quote:

a chance to make a profit from ticket sales for Impact
:laffo:

quote:

there’s a good chance they’ll get one somewhere (Please be FS1) before the fall
Slightly less dumb than hoping AMC tries to merge with TNA.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

More people would know about it. Netflix has a larger audience and would gain them greater exposure and more casual interests.
Spike is in close to 100 million homes in the US. Netflix has 50 million subscribers worldwide.

quote:

If it's about Vince Russo, that's a petty issue because TNA doesn't have to answer to them about that.
TNA ANSWERS TO NO ONE!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Spike forced Dixie to pay those guys!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

There is a staggering amount of rage from people who have never read a newsletter.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Is there any evidence a lovely initial prelim run really hurts you with fans? Good talent seems to overcome it. Cena, Ziggler, and Bray are fine. NXT season 1 had way more viewers and didn't hold back Bryan or Barrett. Axel and Dallas didn't flop because fans remembered their past.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

One of these things is not like the others
Fine. Bray's problems have nothing to do with Husky Harris.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

There were people who called into Meltzer after the Fusient deal fell through who insisted that WCW Nitro being cancelled was a work.
So it's going to be off the air for more than a month?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCNx8QO0MnY

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Negro Casas would blow this guy's mind.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Good for the Newz sites if they have enough money to pay sources.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dixie left the shoe on the stairs.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

Oh and NomdePlume is busy saying everything will be okay because Dallas got good ratings on a Friday 34 years ago.
So he finally outed himself as a Shave Seltzer astroturfer.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That is one hell of a career trajectory.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Some person does not like The Death of WCW.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sjl2q6

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Could be 500k when you add the replay as a de facto west coast airing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rude!

SpikeTV truthers are always fun

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Is dumb fantasy booking ok?

quote:

WWE created a controversy with having Roman Reigns win the Rumble match. How do they write themselves out of Goldberg vs Lesnar II?

Embrace the controversy. Make it bigger.

Have it be leaked that WWE officials feel that Roman Reigns may have cheated to win the Rumble match by failing a drug test. Create your own scripted version of the NFL's deflategate. Suspend Reigns. Let him lie and deny even as evidence keeps piling up on him. Then he returns post supsension as a major heel. Also, hold a tournament at Fast Lane to crown the #1 Contender at Mania against Brock.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

I was told they could've put Doink vs. Brock Lesnar and the fans would be watching. At this point, WWE considers the WrestleMania name bigger than any of the superstars on the show.
This is CM Punk's bad argument and flies in the face Vince getting The Rock and Batista for the last 4 years.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Good poo poo from Ask the Mask on Grantland

quote:

What, exactly, makes smart marks any different from Vince or Hunter in their obsession with certain types of performers?...

I loved this email, even if I don’t agree with every word of it. The idea that some smart fans fetishize certain types of wrestlers — just like Vince McMahon drools over other types — is spot-on.

e:

A stunning assessment of WWE's business.

quote:

Do you think WrestleMania will ever be aired on NBC?

Now this is the kind of out-of-the-box idea that WWE might be able to pull off, thanks to the WWE Network. It’s an absolutely insane idea that could actually work. By next year, network membership should be pretty stable — the core audience members will largely be permanent subscribers. To reach a broader audience — the kind of people who haven’t watched since Hulkamania’s heyday or the Monday Night Wars — WWE should consider taking over network TV for a night and airing the biggest show of the year for free. It would function as a commercial for the network. Say that anybody who subscribes that night gets six months for $20 — the sort of fans who would sign up are the type who have been Hulu Plus members for the past two years even though they’ve never watched a Criterion movie. They’ll never unsubscribe! That’s who WWE really needs. And think of the social media! Just don’t schedule it on the same night as the Oscars or the NCAA championship and this could be gold.

e2: God dammit this entire piece is such unbelievable garbage.

quote:

How would I book [Sami Zayn's WWE debut]? I’d have him pull a 1-2-3 Kid–style win over Rusev (or, more likely: Bad News Barrett) and have them do a best-out-of-five series that culminates at a PPV. Zayn loses but looks strong.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 21, 2015

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Somebody must have said something to Dave but I don't think there's much public evidence Dolphins was an insider and his misses point to an outsider repeating the odds. He posted the favorites and got burned by the swings like Brock vs. Taker. Insiders put a ton of money on Brock but didn't make him the favorite.

Blast Fantasto posted:

made up talent meetings, etc.
There was likely made up content (HHH/NXT good Vince bad) but Meltzer confirmed at least one of the meetings even though Cody denied it on twitter.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

How the gently caress do you place Bray Wyatt, who is entirely about talking and charisma, at #2 then put Neville and Kalisto ahead of Sami Zayn?

lol Stardust at 15.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SPIKE never did anything

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Other than "I don't like WWE but I like NXT" what is the point of considering it to be separate?
They don't have national TV and aren't in the conversation as the #2 promotion.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I wanted to know when the WONHOF ballots were due and found this.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

is this the same guy who had an enormous list of criticisms of dave covering the death of WCW with some reasons like "Dave said Nash was bad - but he didn't say goldberg was bad!!!"

I'm only making this connection because I'm pretty sure that guy was very pro WOLFPACK
Yep!

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sjl2q6

I posted it in the thread earlier. I am accidentally stalking a guy.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

I can't believe Dave Meltzer turned his back on the wolfpack
Dusty, Konnan, and Savage are in the HOF.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kevin Nash is on Bruce Mitchell's mystery list and probably hosed Dixie.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

He won King of the Ring and that is nominally an accomplishment.

The list is always completely insane and has no consistency between character and performer.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bryan had 58 matches in 2015

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

:allears:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Could Dave be Nom De Plume???

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

My understanding is that the Undertaker offer was true but Tommy Dreamer(?) or whoever in talent relations was in no position to guarantee that kind of thing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Same but "you disrespected my friends who are my family. If you gently caress with my family you're hosed."

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

How is he right? Rock and Austin are the two biggest stars of the last 20 years. Undertaker is someone who remained a huge star for 25 years as a gimmick wrestler which is really tough to do, and has had some legendary matches and feuds while being a decent draw.

Kane has never drawn, is average in the ring, average on the mic and has been gainfully employed for twenty years, usually in a featured role. That's not given the shaft. Kane has been the most Kane he could possibly be, he and WWE have done as much with him as possible.
If you use the deceptive list counting total main events at high attended shows Kane does pretty well!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Germansimp posted:

He once trended on Twitter when Matt Hardy debuted on Impact.

Also, he has whined countless times that Cena badmouthed him to management because the Burning Hammer he used was too similar to Cena's AA. Because obviously it wasn't like Tyler Reks sucked at doing the Burning Hammer and probably would have seriously injured someone when he'd gently caress it up.
It was not a proper Burning Hammer and Cena would not stand for disrespecting Kobashi.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

If you do not like the product being presented then tune out, watch the Lifetime movie of the week or whatever
Extremely good take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

beggar posted:

of all the wrong that is in this article, fuckin love me some Coral.
Greatest tag team partner of The Miz and it's not even close.