Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

schweens posted:

Saw this WWE conspiracy video on twitter basically saying that WWE killed Warrior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG4rl_zTsFM

Now the video is crazy enough on its own but the comments are pretty funny too

Vince McMahon is a literal murderer, I wish CM Punk would go back and work for his company again because then he could get on the microphone and tell me how bad Vince is! :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Daniel Bryan posted:

More dumb stuff:

Whenever I see a post like that I wonder who the person would prefer were being "treated like Cena." Like if they actually have an alternate preference for Most Popular Guy out of the current roster or if they just wish Hogan/Stone Cold was still World Champion and wrestling is trash because it's not exactly the same as when they were 10-14.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

sticklefifer posted:

It's pretty creepy to track down a guy's address and then teach your kid it's okay to stalk someone and shove things into his mail slot. Mail it to him if you really just can't resist, but don't come to his front door.

Or maybe the kid wanted his favorite wrestler CM Punk to have a happy easter and the parent made a dubious call to make a silly fantasy come true because CM Punk's home location is not hard information to come by on the internet.

I know presuming motive and mindset of people based on two or fewer sentences of information is par for the course around here, but I don't think we should assume a Lotion On It's Skin scenario based on literary nothing. These fans most likely have boundary issues and poor social skills but I doubt most of them are complete sociopaths. John Lenon had a lot of "crazy," fans that probably qualified as stalkers but only one ended up being "that one."

That being said, it does only take one. Which is why Punk is being a stubborn idiot about a bodyguard. He doesn't need one forever, just for a few years until he's out of the public eye.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

epitasis posted:

found a good post for this thread

If "Not every person who acts inappropriately towards a celebrity is a serial killer and CM Punk should get a bodyguard just to be safe" is a Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinion, sign me up for being a Stupid Wrestling Fan.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Well I wouldn't want to be stupid so I guess I'll just start assuming every person I see on the street is a murderer and yet also argue that I don't need any protection from them. Also make all my other posts the exact opposite I guess.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

sticklefifer posted:

Nobody said anything about murderers, Captain Hyberbole. But it is creepy. It would be just as creepy if someone tracked down AJ Lee's address to hand-deliver flowers to her because they saw her on TV and had a crush on her. The way it's written, it sounds like he came home to find them at his door. After thousands of fans hound you all day, every day, no matter where you go, and one of them tracks you down and is standing between you and your front door while putting unknown things into it, you're supposed to smile and say thank you and have a pleasant chat? Or do you tell them to leave you alone? Now imagine if 500 people did the same thing. If he lets one person do it without complaint, that gives free license for everyone else to do it. You have as poor a grasp of personal boundaries as these people do.

My grasp of personal boundaries is fine. I for example don't put candy in celebrity mailboxes in my spare time.

To me describing fan behavior to celebrities specifically as "creepy" had a strong connotation of malevolent intent, so I think people should be careful about using it. Forgive me for thinking its maybe a little wrong for the first assumption being that a crazy stalker parentis teaching their child to be a crazy stalker instead of entertaining the possibility of a more innocuous motive for what, to be clear, I still think is clearly not an OK thing to do.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DarkstarIV posted:

So Vince Russo reviewed RAW. It was a pretty bog standard review, until...

God bless Vince Russo and his insanity. :allears:

There are other choice quotes but I'll let you read them yourself.

http://www.pyroandballyhoo.com/bro-freakin-easter-bunny-raw/

Help, I'm in full agreement with Vince Russo! I think he's 100% correct to say Swagger attacking the bunny so Adam could save it would have been a smart booking move and added much needed juice to the feud AND both characters. I feel dirty.

I mean, Alberto Del Rio ran over Santa, is putting a rabbit in the Patriot Lock any worse?

...But just when I thought he had a good point about booking a wrestling show, I looked at the comments:

The French Angel posted:

Good stuff. In an ode to Vince Russo, Adam Rose is in a match for the Intercontinental title versus Bad News Barrett, as Rose is on the verge of pinning Barrett, the rabbit comes into the ring and hits rose over the head with a foreign object.

The referee, having no clue what just happened, sees Rose laying there motionless. Barrett goes for the pin and retains his title.

Vince Russo posted:

I LOVE THAT!!! Now, that's some booking!!!

Maximum :russo: in effect.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I think it has a lot to do with the fear that if something you like is failing business wise it will go away. There are a lot of 90s kids on the internet who remember Firefly or other lost 90s pop culture like Texans remember the Alamo, and think if they can crusade hard enough maybe they can will their favorite product into being profitable so it will never be taken from them.

In TNA's particular case there's also the gently caress WWF thing on the table. They want TNA to live less because they like it and more because they hate Vince.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Dimebags Brain posted:

Then where does the hate boner for ROH come from?

I'm guessing its based mainly on the idea that TNA is "above," the Indy scene. They can't properly stick it to the McMahons unless they're better than those other products that could never hope to be his competition. So they have to poo poo on RoH and NJPW and every other group with any visibility. They're basically all Eric Bischoff without Ted's money to blunt their Napoleon complexes

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Even by TNA fan standards it takes a special kind of neurosis to dismiss the inevitable response to the literal deathknell of the company as "typical anti-TNA haters"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Fauxhawk Express posted:

From the DVDVR boards, a place I loved a decade ago but is pretty much poo poo now:

I don't think pro wrestling is for you, son.

I like how he used obviously three times in the same sentence.

Also it's kind of incredible he could say "They made the match stipulation meaningless" with a strait face. I don't think I've ever seen a Lumberjack Match work the gimmick so creatively and extensively.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

That post reminds me of a couple months back when some guy called into my local sports radio station to explain that only "liberals," love soccer, and they love it because it's "european."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I really hate people who poo poo on charities for the crime of having administrative costs instead of sending every cent to whatever they research. It reminds me of when my sister says she wishes she didn't have to pay taxes because she doesn't want her money going to some DIRTY BUREAUCRAT'S PAYCHECK when it could be going to do REAL GOOD, like buying wheelchairs for dogs.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I mean, I'm not even totally unsympathetic to people with contemp for Big Pharma business models and the fact that people die from polio and TB in the third world when we have cures for them and go bankrupt in the first world trying to pay for their cancer drugs. But people who encourage others to block support for medical research on those grounds are so tinfoil hat crazy its depressing. And the fact that in this case we have a celebrity respected in many countries implying you can stave off a degenerative nerve disease with good diet and exercise reminds me of when Tom Cruise started spouting his anti psychiatry rhetoric to his international fan base. That kind of reckless disregard for the power of your voice is as contemptible as anything big mean corporate medicine ever did.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

OctoberCountry posted:

Are we still talking about Lance Storm?

Touché

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

TheJoker138 posted:

This is pretty much the entire problem with the invasion. They didn't want to pay big money for the big guys, from Bishoff to Goldberg, so none of it worked.

The most amazing thing to me about the invasion is that they did have one really major guy: Dallas Page. I mean, he wasn't Nash, Hogan, Goldberg or Sting but he was probably the biggest guy OTHER than those four. Moreover those four had been somewhat marginalized in the most recent WCW stuff while DDP was still doing main events alongside Russo's chosen golden boy Jarret, and had been part of the title scene at every step of the way from the NWO forward.

Despite this he was barely even IN the Invasion, after Undertaker squashed him during the dumb stalker angle he wasn't even a footnote, and that wasn't even really part of the actual invasion. Booker T was great, but compared to Page he wasn't much at that point, at least in the minds of WCW fans.

I mean, if you don't want to pay for Bischoff and Goldberg and Hogan to make the angle work that's fine, but to so badly misuse the best piece you DO have is baffling.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

achillesforever6 posted:

Ugh I hate these kind of people, always assuming that the victim is in the wrong

No, see, everyone in American, especially MILLENNIALS, are just a bunch of dirty welfare-queen leeches. Unless you're a millionaire, in which case you worked for everything FROM YOUR BOOT STRAPS and have never gotten a break or an advantage from anyone and everyone is trying to oppress you and take advantage of your success. Your employees are the enemy, the government is the enemy, and neither one has ever done anything except take food out of your mouth.

They should be crawling in their hands and knees BEGGING you to work when they're hurt so they can properly pay the doctors you play golf with on Saturday instead of trying to LITERALLY STEAL from you by claiming Worker's Comp, and the Government enforcing that LITERAL THEFT is nothing short of tyranny and dictatorship. Thanks Obama.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

This post wasn't even a little bit as funny as you thought it was.

I'm so glad you got back to me on that, I was really losing sleep over it. 36 hours is really too long to wait for the critique on my posts.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I'm sure discovery paid through the nose for the rights to show TNA Champion Bobby Roode to his Sri Lankan fans.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

achillesforever6 posted:

A review of the Bull Dempsey Baron Corbin feud

I feel like this is one of those things I might have posted in the Discussion thread because I enjoy reading too much into wrestling stories and then faced a litany of posts telling me to shut up because I'm a dumb nerd.

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

quote:

and it made no sense to burn through wads of cash on hand for what were final episodes and increasingly lame duck ones.

Didn't this same guy say that the last episodes of TNA were the best in years and a critically acclaimed hot streak that Spike was squandering by not resigning immediately?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The_Rob posted:

I like the analogy of dropping a bowl of Brussel sprouts because it implies that the person is either 10 or a fat slob who refuses to eat vegetables.

You can enjoy the health benefits of vegetables without forcing yourself to eat disgusting vegetables.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

TNA is ahead of the curve with the documentary aspects of Impact. This is how close TNA is to Discovery!

Also is Discovery is going back to documentaries they're the perfect platform for Dixie's reality show about being a strong independent single mom who JUST HAPPENS TO OWN A WRESTLING COMPANY! And that just wouldn't make sense without Impact for context. QED.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

Clearly this means the ratings are inaccurate rather than the channel is impossible to get or TNA fans love rewatching Impact.

The followup to that is what gets me

quote:

That's funny. Nielsen's ratings jumped the shark in the late 80's/early 90's when everyone was starting to get cable yet it's still around today for some reason when we know it's faulty and doesn't quite represent this country's viewing habits.

Said by Chris Regal, the same guy who (as discussed in the TNA thread) spent the day in a twitter war with PW Torch about them not accurately reporting ratings and demanding they reveal their source so that he could personally inspect the printouts himself so he could see the REAL ratings Impact pulled instead of the filthy lies the dirtsheets are using to bury TNA.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

oatgan posted:

Ken Shamrock is the funniest one

I dunno, the idea that Brodus is better off in TNA is pretty laughable. At absolute best he's in the exact same spot on the card for much less pay with much less exposure.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

achillesforever6 posted:

"Yet another crowd crying because they didn't get what they wanted. What a shock."

When someone called him out on this he responded

"No, I'm saying that that crowd is just like the rear end in a top hat that booed Rey Mysterio last year. Getting what you want RIGHT NOW is not the loving point, and you, and the rest of those assholes know it. It's about the loving journey, and to throw Daniel Bryan right back into the title match, after most of a year off is not a journey, it's blatant pandering to the crowd, and it shouldn't be done. I'm glad it didn't.

Would I have liked to see DB last longer? Yes. I'd have loved to see him eliminate Bray Wyatt too, but that's not the story we've been given, so you know what? Y'all, and the rest of the crowd can just deal with it."

Did this guy, like, forget that Reigns also just came back from a long off period?

I mean, I guess you can also cite to something like Triple H in 02 winning the rumble off his big return. And since he seems to also hate the fans that boo'd Misterio for being babies about not getting what they want, I assume he also approved of it when Batista won off his big return?

But even leaving that aside, unless you really want to count winning a slammy and giving injury updates, Roman's "journey," to the Rumble was exactly two weeks and one day longer than Bryan's. And Bryan also returned and updated and whatnot several times during his injury, so Roman doesn't even have an advantage there. What is that guy smoking?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

You know, for a horrific split second I thought that sounded interesting, probably because of my natural reflex to think that anything that might give Roman ANY personality must be a good thing.

Then I realized that it's literally the loving "Vikki exposes the John Cena/AJ fraternization scandal" angle and I actually felt my gag reflex kick in.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Skunkrocker posted:

i'm editing this out for your own good

:iiam:

Anyway, this amused me:

I'm not sure if the idea that Lockdown could do 700k buys or the idea that that will then lead to over a million regular viewers is more space cadet.

Also in this conversation was another discussion of how Prograps Unlimited is intentionally misreporting ratings yet again because people don't know how to read. Also, the only reaction to Bubba I managed to find was someone scoffing over a tweet that he's experience a surge of popularity since being in the Rumble and how he's kidding himself if he thinks he'll be more popular outside TNA, and also to ENJOY THE MIDCARD LOL.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Do they really still believe that "Discovery is paying 3x as much as Spike was," bullshit? Surely not.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Delusion is a hell of a drug.

Maybe it would make more sense to me if they weren't constantly putting on their tinfoil hats and demanding bibliographies, birth certificates and annotated charts whenever someone reports a ratings figure they don't like, but seem to take this "backstage buzz," as gospel without a second thought.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, that part's vital, too. And we've actually seen it with these mooks, because they claim everything out of Meltz's mouth is pure fabrication.

Didn't meltzer put over TNA in some big way recently, like saying Impact has been consistently better than Raw or something? I know it happened in the same window as them being voted worst promotion and him making a comment that Del Rio didn't go there because there's a perception that careers go there to die, but I'm pretty sure it did happen.

Wonder how that synchs with their worldview.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Rey Misterio owns and having him as a favorite wrestler is a cool thing to do.

I admit I find myself wondering what arbitrary cosmic equation put Yoshi at exactly 60 when deciding he was just that much better than Bryan, Punk and Styles.

Also Bikertaker was neato even if he should never be on any top 10 list ever.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Wait... Jimmy and Jey have been gaining weight recently, and now this?

Did I just hear myself say... THREE MINUTES?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

Shut up about whatever the hell that yammering was about.

TNA Mecca sure had a lot to say about HHH not having anything to say about Sting in TNA!

TNA and other companies mention WWE all the time! :lol:

I almost prefer it when they're mindlessly raging and smugfacing about how much better TNA is than the haters trying to bury them. I can file that under the normal facebook tier delusions that normal human being's have. This kind of density is usually reserved for male anime protagonists.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

A stunning assessment of WWE's business.

I don't know things about TV business, but this is stupid and insane because NBC would never put pro-wrestling, not even Wrestlemania, on Prime Time network TV as if it were some sort of superbowl, right? I want to make sure it's not the opposite problem of it making way more money being sold on PPV for some weird reason that I'm missing.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

WWE's fanbase is not desirable. It's large enough to probably be worth a bit more than it is but it's relatively poor and uneducated.

Even if we believe the statistical data on this, it seems like such a stupid reason to not want to advertise with them. What are the two biggest cash cows of professional football? Cars and beer. The poor uneducated blue collar types in Chicago, the south and the New England/New York/Pennsylvania tri-state area buy that poo poo as much IF NOT MORE than the so-called 'desirable' demographics that WWE supposedly doesn't have. Raw has a consistent history of holding it's own against other professional sports including Monday Night Football even if it reaches a smaller audience, and the exorbitant prices of their merch and tickets shows they're willing to spend. What is the hangup? Since when does loving Ford of Anheizer Busch turn it's nose up at the opportunity to sell things to rednecks and factory workers?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Under the vegetable posted:

And yet people still put ads on Two and a Half Men, all other network sitcoms, both Fox news and primetime, the History channel, and basically all tv that isn't premium cable. Weird.

Also let's reiterate a point I made in some other post that I can't go to any store without seeing something branded with Duck Dynasty, a show literally about rednecks dicking around while avoiding running their loving DUCK CALL BUSINESS. And also Honey Boo Boo's riveting toenail based programming. But we can't put advertisements on a pro wrestling show because that would make us look low-brow.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Testekill posted:

Some guy on another forum complaining about the dead crowd.

Yeah, how dare the crowd die early when they had something as hot as that plucky up-and-comer Kane picking up a clean pinfall over Dolph Ziggler?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm pretty straight, and I say Cena Sucks.

Love him or hate him, you have to want to gently caress John Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I Before E posted:

Cena Sucks, but does he swallow?

If I remember my One Night Stand lore properly, it's actually ORTON who swallows. Especially when he Go Fucks Cena *clap clap clapclapclap*

in b4 someone makes a joke about "the clap"