Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Also funny to say all Bryan did was chant yes and bitch and moan about his shot when Bryan has said in interviews time and time again that he considers his passiveness to be one of his biggest downfalls.

Also, funny complaining about that when the only reason anyone can find why EY got a shot is because Bryan got his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If you've ever hated yourself and searched for wrestling poo poo online, chances are you've come across WrestlingForum.com, the most plain jane URL for a wrestling forum out there. This forum is full of real dumb opinions such as

quote:

I know Daniel Bryan having his Wrestlemania moment was great, it was perfect timing, he deserved it blah blah blah... But I really want Kane to destroy DB at Extreme Rules, keep him that unstoppable force that everyone wants to see.

quote:

I wonder if Kane will possibly win the title from Bryan and then maybe drop it at Payback? I suppose anything is possible.

quote:

I really wish Russo would book WWE. Very underrated when he was in WCW. AOL is the reason WCW went out of business, not Russo.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Gonzo McFee posted:

So how are they justifying that "WWE is ripping off TNA" remark? Are they saying Vince has a Time Machine?

They're saying that the Eric Young push has been on the books for months and so it's coincidental.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
They were just saying it was the worst show they had been to. That doesn't mean it was the worst ever.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

JK! posted:

I wasn't there Monday, but I've been to almost every RAW or PPV in StL since 2006 and it's never been dead for long periods of the show. I can't imagine it was like that the other night. But hell I could be wrong.

It was. They cared about Cena, Bryan and I guess the Shield a little bit. Not much else.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
More dumb stuff:

quote:

Why the hell do so many people like Daniel Bryan I dont get it he is a joke there marketing him as unstopable and people are buying in it really pisses me off what a joke wrestling has become and those Yes chants are so stupid the freaking arena sounds like a freaking orgasm Im sick of it There going to make him the next Cena hopefuly people will get tired of him like Cena

Daniel Bryan is going to be booked as the next Cena. BORING!!!!!!!!!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Sanguinia posted:

Whenever I see a post like that I wonder who the person would prefer were being "treated like Cena." Like if they actually have an alternate preference for Most Popular Guy out of the current roster or if they just wish Hogan/Stone Cold was still World Champion and wrestling is trash because it's not exactly the same as when they were 10-14.

Or that anyone booked as an underdog and then wins is "Cena." As if it's not one of the oldest wrestling angles of all time.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
From Reddit:

quote:

Should Daniel Bryan turn heel?

There were a few things I was afraid might happen if he won the title and IMO it all seems to be happening.

He would get the "CM Punk treatment". His match with Kane is an afterthought compared to Shield vs Evolution and Wyatt vs Cena. I don't think many people care that much about this match nor does anyone expect Kane to win. This whole match/feud screams of creative not having any better ideas and Kane is the old reliable (along with heel Big Show, but he just recently went through a heel/face turn with the authority, another one wouldn't make sense, even by Big Show standards).

He's losing steam. Watching him on Monday night he was clearly over, but not as over as he was before winning the title. It seems like the yes chants are more out of a sense of obligation now than being "organic" like Bryan said the yes movement was.

They don't know any other way to book him as a babyface. How do you book a guy who's appeal has been getting beat down every week on RAW for like 8 months in pursuit of the belt? I guess the answer is to keep beating him down while he tries to defend it. There's a few problems with this. First of all this is getting old and boring. I think some people are tired of the same old poo poo and are losing interest. The other problem is this makes Bryan look weak. The Champ shouldn't be getting destroyed by Kane. Compare Bryan to the Shield. The Shield squashed Kane and the outlaws. They beat up 11 guys on Smackdown. They took a Daniel Bryan like beat down on RAW and still came back to win the brawl. If we've established that Bryan is strong enough in kayfabe to beat Triple H and go on to basically win a handicap match against Evolution in the same night, then they shouldn't be afraid to book him that strong on a weekly basis.

They're protecting him from over exposure. Since WM, he's wrestled Triple H as a vehicle for a Shield face turn, marked out with Hogan for some Hogan rub, been beat up again, and returned with his usual "You're full of crap...listen to these people" promo. I think they might be afraid the crowd will turn on him. The top heels(Triple H, Bray, Lesnar/Heyman, Cesaro, Barrett) are so over could possibly steel his thunder.

Tl;dr he's not the star of the show right now, he's losing steam, they don't know where to go with him now, they don't know who to put him up against, and his character/promos/booking is getting stale.

This is a lot of assuming when the dude has basically not been on the show since Mania with unforeseen circumstances being largely the reason. Still probably the most over "as a face" guy they have, and based on these few unfortunate weeks HE SHOULD TURN HEEL!!!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Capitalizing on someone who was a star in your company and is now a bigger star in another company is just good business and I have no idea how anybody can't grasp that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

WeaponX posted:

those people will always be positive/delusional about the creative and talent portion of the product but the business side of things is becoming impossible to defend.

And it is undeniable that they do have some talent, but they'll never amount to anything with the horrible booking/business practices the company employs. I don't know why these people even bother defending it when that is a fact.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

OctoberCountry posted:

With Daniel Bryan's amazing victory at WM30 and a plethora of talent in NXT such as Neville, Zayn and KENTA you just might be wondering about the best way to inorporate these guys into the main event scene of WWE, especially since they don't fit into the prototypical Big Guy mold.

Well Joe Babinsack has the the answer we've all been looking for: a new mid-card belt!

His article assumes WWE would be able to book both the heavyweight division and the lightweight division equally. Spoiler: They wouldn't. The heavyweight division would be where the "real stars" are, while the lightweights have a good little spot near the bottom of the card. Even if they wanted to book it right, I don't think they'd be able to. It doesn't fit their MO.

Hell, one of the best parts about WWE right now is its lack of division. Makes match-ups that much more exciting, and doesn't pigeon-hole guys as much.

Good god, Babinsack sucks.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The Talk TNA podcast or whatever is unhappy with Meltzer's star ratings and there's more to the conversation than this but talk about not understanding anything:

To me it comes off as "TNA doesn't get good star ratings and that's unfair" but I could be off base. Then again, if they think TNA's "out of the ring" stuff is any good, holy poo poo.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does anybody have a link to this interview? It sounds very entertaining.

Have a listen to someone not understanding why someone could not like TNA: http://traffic.libsyn.com/talktna/TALKTNA_-_Bryan_Alvarez_interview.mp3

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Not about wrestling, but former wrestler Lance Storm wrote a ridiculous blog about why he would not do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, nor donate $100 to the charity. I wonder why??

He comes off as a sarcastic dickheaded POS. I bolded the worst parts.

quote:

ALSA Ice Bucket Challenge

August 31, 2014

I've finally been challenged to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge (IBC). Well actually I've been "Nominated" twice in fact, by people who apparently don't understand the difference between a Challenge vs. a Nomination. That may be a silly point but considering "Challenge" is right there in the name it drives me nuts that most people seem to get this concept wrong.

Enough picking of nits, there is some serious business afoot that needs to be addressed. Until I was challenged personally I've been content to sit on the side lines biting my tongue happy to stay out of this whole deal. I'm not a fan of beating my head against the wall, and I fear what I am about to say will amount to little more. Like many of you I have clicked on and watched many of the IBC videos. We have done so no doubt because they are very entertaining, and in there lays the rub.

These videos are, for the most part just entertainment. They entertain those who watch, offer a placebo effect of doing good to the person who does them, and generates a whole bunch of money for people who don't suffer from ALS. I know this won't be a popular view, which is why I've stayed out of it as long as I could, but now that I've been called out, I'm going to speak my mind. Anyone who knows me knows I'd rather be right than popular any day, which may explain my rather small circle of friends, so here I go.

There are three basic flaws in this IBC (Or the upcoming Pink-Tober & Mo-Vember campaigns) and it is not until you get to that final third fatal flaw that this whole thing falls apart. This is probably by design because as long as no one looks too deeply everyone can live in denial and just feel good about themselves. Yes I realize that most people involved in this mean well and have good intentions, but a lot of false hope was built on good intentions and when people are suffering from diseases and people are giving away their hard earned money, false hope and good intentions don't really amount to much.

The first flaw is that a lot of people taking up this challenge are just doing creative videos of themselves dumping water on their heads as a vanity project to get attention and pat themselves on the back for all the good they are doing, despite not donating a single penny. The excuse or denial here is "Well at least we are creating awareness, look at the national donations, they are way up". Way to pass the buck. I'm sure you're individual video was the one that made the difference. For those who did in fact donate or are pacified with the "I've created awareness" we then have the second flaw.

What is the ALSA doing with all of this money? The truth is the vast majority of the money you are donating is not going towards research and finding a cure for ALS. The numbers are disputed somewhat. I've heard people claim as low as 7% is going towards research and the ALSA claims that number is closer to 27%. Lets for the sake of convenience and benefit of the doubt, use 25%. Three quarters of the money you donate to help find a cure isn't going where you want it to. Most of it is going towards "Awareness and Education", which could be translated to be read "Advertising and Promotions" to ensure more money gets donated so they can again put only one quarter of it towards what they are claiming it's for in their promotion and advertising. It is a deceitful cycle that keeps a lot of people employed earning great livings while delivering very little of the money donated to the cause they are promoting. To this we offer ourselves the excuse, "Well 25% is better than nothing, that is still a lot of money, and someone has to run these charities" To this I offer you the popular concept of cutting out the middle man. Why are we donating to these Charity groups that only deliver a small percentage of our donations to the research groups? Why not donate directly to the people that are actually doing the work, the people trying to discover treatments and cures?

This is the third and final flaw. The reason we don't donate directly is because then we would discover that the portion of our donation that isn't going towards salaries and advertising, that 25% that we think is actually doing good, is going into the pockets of Big Pharma. Yes the pharmaceutical companies are getting your money. You are giving your money to some of the biggest, richest, most profitable companies in the world. You are helping cover the cost of their research and development programs to allow them to make higher profits. You are not financing new research, this is research they are already doing. This is how they make their money after all. They create new drugs to treat diseases, and when they find a new treatment they patent it and sell it back to you at a huge profit.

Think about that for a minute. Millions upon millions of dollars are being GIVEN to a company to help find a cure or treatment of a disease and if they find a cure/treatment, the people you GAVE that money to will then patent that cure and sell it back to you at a huge profit. Wait...What...profit? I thought we donated to Charity, a non-profit organization. Oh right that's another reason why we don't donate directly to the people doing the research if we did they wouldn't be able to claim it as a non-profit or a charity, and they are creating these drugs with the sole intention of making profits, hundreds or millions of dollars in profits. Yes your good intentioned donations, or at least the part that isn't going towards salaries and advertising, that huge 25% of it, is going towards increasing the profit margins of some of the richest most profitable companies in the world. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think I will end my rant here because I don't want to get started on all of the harm Big Pharma is doing to our medical system. If you've been to the doctor in the last decade you've no doubt already discovered that doctors no longer treat patients, they prescribe drugs to them. If you go to a doctor because you are experiencing severe back pain, the first course of action is to prescribe painkillers. A good Dr. if you are lucky enough to find one of the good ones, will also advice you that weight loss and exercise to reduce the strain on your back and strengthen your core would probably solve your problems completely, but unfortunately most people are too lazy for that and would rather just fill their prescriptions.

And with that we've come full circle and found the root of the problem, laziness; one of the original seven deadly sins: Sloth. It's far easier to just dump a bucket of ice water on your head, wear a pink ribbon in October, or grow a silly moustache in November, than it is to look a little closer and find out that there is a huge problem with the system. While I have not looked as closely as I probably should have, thanks to my friend Paul Lazenby, my eyes are at least open. I will not be accepting the Ice Bucket Challenge, because I do not wish to give my money to Big Pharma and since I have no need to stroke my ego by doing a fun video to illustrate what a great guy I am, I don't see the point.

That said I will be looking into finding an ALS related charity that actually helps those suffering from the disease and donate my $100 to them. If that proves too hard a task I will just go out and find someone who is suffering from the disease and give them my $100.

In closing I would just like to clarify that my intent was not to drat those who have taken part in the IBC or other charity fund raisers. Most of you, as I stated earlier, mean well, I'm just suggesting that if you really want to make a difference, good intentions alone don't really accomplish much.

I look forward to your letters and email,
Lance

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

TNAMecca posted:

TNA 2015 and Beyond

My apologies if anyone gets offended over the course of this column. Once in a while, you just have to get things off your chest otherwise it will eat you up. After investing a good deal of time, money, energy and hope into TNA for nearly a decade I feel that I have the right to speak freely about this company and its future. IMPACT Wrestling is going to be on television in the U.S. and around the world in January 2015 and for years to come. Do I know all of the facts and details in this regard? No, I don't. Do I know what channel that IMPACT will be on in the U.S. in the future? No, I don't. However, after weighing all of the evidence and all the factors involved here, I am very confident about TNA's future in 2015 and beyond. That pot of gold is out there at the end of a very long rainbow. However, if you think you've had patience and been forced into a "Defend TNA" mode so far this year, you ain't seen nothing yet. Hurricane Doomsday is just approaching us now. Do you have the courage to face it? I believe you do.

Now, the point of this piece is not to send you on a mission to "fight the haters" or become social media heroes. It's simply my thoughts and feelings which you can either take or leave. We thought about not addressing the issue of IMPACT not being broadcast on Thanksgiving Eve later this month but it needs to be talked about. As far as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong), IMPACT has only been preempted on SPIKE TV one other time since their debut on the channel in October of 2005. It happened in September 2010, but besides that one incident they have had 9 plus years of new, consecutive weekly episodes. So was it possible for TNA to tape more episodes of IMPACT for the end of the year? Anything is possible but I imagine it was probably very difficult given the current status of their temporary extension of their Spike contract.

Could they have lowered their self-established standards and returned to the Impact Zone for a 2 or 3 day stint to tape the remaining 2014 episodes in Orlando? We'll never know for sure unless perhaps someone in TNA Management does a shoot interview years down the road on the subject. What we do know is that they did not go back to the crutch of Universal Studios-Orlando at any point after they started taping in Bethlehem back in June, which to me is a positive. They kept to their guns of not relinquishing and slinking back to their comfort zone of the past. I respect TNA so much for taking that stance. That venue is a total last resort at this point. So if I have to sacrifice seeing the frickin' turkey suit this year for a traditionally low viewership episode of IMPACT in lieu of staying away from the old IZ, I am happy with that 10 out of 10 times. You mean no Thanksgiving-themed show?!? Oh no!!! Get over it. There are bigger issues at play here. Take this Thanksgiving and spend it with your family and/or friends instead of worrying about IMPACT. There will be other years to see someone get humiliated by wearing the turkey suit. Is it that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things? If the answer is yes, maybe you should reevaluate your priorities. It has not been confirmed whether or not there will be "highlight/recap" shows in place of IMPACT episodes after the Bethlehem tapings run out. It's a smart assumption given that Jeremy Borash has been taping something in their studios but until TNA confirms their plans all reports are simply conjecture.

Guess what? The cataclysmic paranoia train might just explode again in the IWC when TNA announces they will also take off Christmas Eve this year. I don't know it for a fact that they won't have a TNA program on Christmas Eve but it seems as though the writing is on the wall and again that is a major holiday that would garner a low viewership anyway. Heavens to Betsy, whatever shall we loving do?!? Cut your losses and focus on 2015 that's what. This is a different year and a different circumstance. By late December we will know what channel TNA will be broadcasting from and a lot more details. So, really, it will be a small blip on the radar that won't amount to much if indeed they decide to take another major holiday off. To me, it only adds to the grandeur of the re-debut episode of IMPACT in January, 2015. It's just another reason to savor every minute of that first show in the new year when the camera pans out to the crowd chanting, "TNA! TNA! TNA!" Will that show hail from NYC or Chicago or Philly or...? That is a detail that I am waiting to see with much anticipation.

So why is it that such a drastic majority of the IWC have given up on TNA or hold very little hope that they will indeed be on TV in January? It's very simple: Tabloid Pro-Wrestling Journalism. I shall, from this point on, refer to them as the TPWJ. You know when you go the grocery store and they have The National Enquirer, Globe, and (in the U.K.) The Sun displayed in little slots near the cashiers? Do you blindly believe those headlines that speak of "truth"? Things such as "Bigfoot kept lumberjack as love slave" and "Severed leg hops to hospital" and "Half-man half-dog baffles doctors". It's sensationalism at its finest. Recently, the intensity of the dirtsheets' exploitation of TNA's situation has reached levels rarely (if ever) seen before. They are vultures just waiting for any little scrap of meat to swoop down on and devour. Intestinal parasites have higher moral standards than some of these guys that copy and paste their way to advertising dollar clicks. But yet, some of you choose to believe them and panic when their lies are published over and over again. Please be more intelligent than that. They want you to buy in to their tabloid garbage. Unless TNA confirms a report you can't treat it as a fact. It's really as elementary as that.

Bob Ryder's recent tweets have been an indicator of how far off some of these wrestling sites have been. These people use baseless rumors as facts and misconstrue things to the point where it simply becomes too difficult for the readers to decipher the bullshit from the horseshit. Most pro-wrestling sites are a joke when it comes to TNA coverage. Even popular radio shows such as Busted Open Radio have begun to reflect this unfair bias towards TNA as they were exposed a couple of weeks ago by Taz for not promptly reporting/discussing Bobby Roode's World Title change. It's just another example of the by-product of a generally negative narrative about TNA and their future from most media outlets.

Does a dying company hold an open competition like British Boot Camp that will culminate at the Maximum IMPACT Tour in the U.K. next year? Does a dying company debut an international talent like Mahabali Shera on IMPACT without assurance of his approaching future? Does a dying company foster young talent like EC3, Bram, The Wolves, Havok, Kenny King, Sanada, Samuel Shaw, Magnus, The BroMans, Manik and more without a solid business plan for their future? No, no and no. I recognize that most of us are worried about TNA's future given the uncertainty that surrounds their public accountability in this regard. The more I think about it though, the more that it begins to make sense. TNA isn't going out of business. As it has been said before, if they could tell us something right now they would. If by some minuscule chance that TNA does go out of business come January of 2015, I'd personally be done with pro-wrestling completely. The WWE product does not interest me at all. I've tried watching ROH in recent months and it's not my cup of tea either. If TNA goes, I will also go. At that point, I will have lost my respect for the business and will be more than happy to replace my time with other things. That scenario is very, very unlikely however and I don't expect to fade of into obscurity anytime soon.

Here's my challenge for you all: Stand up and be different. You represent some of the only fans in the entire world that are choosing to believe in TNA right now. So many people have jumped off their bandwagon in the last year. Take solace that your faith has been steady and unwavering. Your loyalty is going to be rewarded. We at TNAMecca are here to facilitate a troll-free environment where we can converse without being harassed and/or made fun of for being fans of TNA, especially in these trying times. I understand the anxieties of what's happening and I sincerely empathize with those of you that are concerned. We all deal with these types of things in our own way. If you were constantly being told that your favorite sports team was going out of business or your favorite TV show was being cancelled you would naturally experience a range of emotions from disappointment to despair. Your tolerance is being tested right now. Do you trust Dixie Carter? I certainly do. Soon we will be past this difficult phase in TNA history and be able to just be fans again. We're almost there.

Choice comment.

A sensible response:

And in response to that:

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 12, 2014

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
No, they stuck to their guns and stood up to those lovely Universal people. I'm so glad they went back to Bethlehem in front of 200 people.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

WeaponX posted:

i need to hear this.

the dixie love is extra mind-boggling when you consider that any of tna's "best" moments among diehard fans feature zero contribution from her in any role and any of her actual contributions have been blatantly hurtful to whole promotion :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCNx8QO0MnY

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Another idiot TNA fan

And a sensible reply gets downplayed

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

This guy is something else

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The latest in "In Dixie We Trust"

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Didn't take long

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
because if they didn't get a deal they'd be out of business. these people like the tna product.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
And the second Spike dumps them, they were the worst somehow.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
NomDePlume+ is seriously something else

It has to be a troll, right?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
More TNAMecca gems from today

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
oh my god:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
We'll know at least the ballpark when we see how much and which talent is being used, plus what production is like for the show. Maybe the LED curtain will return.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Don't leave Dixieland or you are dead to these people

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Ah yes, but what happens when only 300 people show up?

And WillE1225 actually says something sensible:

And you just can't have that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
So this apparently is where the line is drawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU