Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Time again to Cook or Die!

Curry is generally understood to be a dish primarily influenced by complex combinations of herbs and spices. Curry can be wet or dry, involve meat or not, be mild or anus-searing, be eaten with noodles or rice or bread. Curry originates in southeast Asia, and the specific combination of spices used is a matter of regional tradition, but may include cumin, coriander, mustard seed, curry leaves, fenugreek, turmeric, lemongrass, tamarind, cardamom, garlic, ginger, onions, mace, bay leaves, fish sauce, or coconut milk, along with about a hundred other flavors, and lots and lots of chiles. You can curry almost any vegetable, including tomato, cabbage, lentils or beans, chickpeas, eggplant, and pumpkin.

There are a billion types of Indian curry, and I'm going to leave that taxonomy up to dino., who I'm sure will appear in this thread shortly.

Vietnamese curry is often very soupy, and frequently eaten with baguette.

Cà ri gà, by Mich

Burmese curry is very heavy on turmeric and onions, and tends to be less spicy.

Khao Soi

Thai curries use many fresh herbs and frequently peanuts, and come in three main types: red, yellow, and green.

Rogan Josh is a famous Kashmiri lamb curry that takes its bright red color from de-seeded chiles.

I'm no curry expert, but I had a huge craving the other night and made a pot of Khao Soi-type curry. I didn't feel like loving around with noodles so I ate it with rice.

Ingredients:

2-3 TB vegetable oil
1/2 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, diced
3 TB Thai red curry paste
2 TB turmeric
~1/2 tsp crushed ghost chile
~5 whole, dried bird chiles
1/3 cup cashews
2 chicken thighs, diced
1 small can bamboo shoots
1 can coconut milk
1/3 cup white wine
~4 TB fish sauce
~1 TB sugar
squeeze of lemon or lime

Method:

Heat oil in a small pot and fry onion, shallot, and garlic at medium heat. When softened, add turmeric, curry paste, both chiles, and cashews, and fry until fragrant. Add chicken, bamboo, coconut milk, wine, fish sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked completely. Taste at the end and add more fish sauce or sugar if necessary. I like mine very savory and spicy, so beware.

Serve over rice with a squeeze of lemon or lime, chopped scallions, pickled red onions, and some angry lady.

So everybody go make a curry! Remember that posting in this thread obligates you to make a curry, any kind of curry, by the deadline of APRIL 21st or face dire consequences including internet mockery and a pox upon your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I made eggplant curry last night. It was kind of mediocre :smith:

Your avatar is sad for you.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Squinty posted:

So any dish with "curry" in the name qualifies? I should have a fun one to share tonight.

It cannot have been made in a slow cooker.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What? Shramps are super easy. Pinch off the tail, get your finger on the underside between the legs, unwrap, done.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Great curries everyone! 3 more hours until your walk of shame, everyone else!

• Locked thread