Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Naffer posted:

Has anyone with a Lumia 521 or 925 with wifi calling on T-Mobile updated yet? I'm a little apprehensive about updating if it might break Wifi calling/texting.

Wifi calling works fine, texting is another issue, but I've always had issues with MMS and WiFi calling even before the update.

loquacius posted:

e2: Uhhhhhhhh it lost all my pictures. They're still visible on OneDrive, so they're not gone forever, but they sure don't seem to be present on my phone right now and I don't see an option to mass-download them.

Do they show up in the Photos App?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Do I still need a third party app to show me battery percentage on a tile, or am I missing how to show that on the battery sense one.

If you bring up notifications via swipe, it will show you the battery percentage in the top corner under the battery icon.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Nope. Again, it's more of an inconvenience than anything since they're all still in OneDrive, but it's inexplicable.

That is odd since they weren't deleted off my phone (though I went through a different update process.) Your music is still there right?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Yeah, music's all still there, and so are apps (after the expected round of reinstalls). Just the pictures. I just took one, and it is showing up as the only thing in my camera roll. No idea what's up with that.

Does anyone else have this problem?

FYI on the Podcast app, since a few people have been asking to play podcasts at a faster speed, there's a toggle next to the podcast 'picture.'

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Anyone manage to find the setting for the new lock screen layouts? It doesn't appear to be...anywhere

Should be under settings->lock screen. What feature are you looking for?

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone know where the ability to control background tasks went?

Try Settings->Battery Saver.

FYI I'm not on the phone team, I'm just an employee who has had WP8.1 for a few weeks.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 16, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Also if you say "take a note" it will put it directly into OneNote, including both transcription and your audio clip :eng101:

Thank the team for the hard work, xylo. Say hi if you are ever in the 80s.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Also, whilst the stock Podcast app is alright it doesn't have all the podcasts that I like so I'll stick with i-Podcasts.

If the podcast isn't showing up in search, I think you can just enter the feed URL into the 'add podcast' text box.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rent posted:

Tempted to go back to Windows Phone 8. Podcast app is horrible, doesn't keep place, doesn't DL episodes anymore automatically. Xbox Music works.... 30% of the time? 100% of my music is cloud based. I get "No network detected" or "you don't own rights to this song" most the time. I'm in the car 12 hours a week for work, so I need my music and podcasts :(

Also I wish they'd fix the 1520 screen FREAKING out when you unlock it and typing 100 characters with 1 button press, or not being able to slide the loving unlock screen up until you hit the lock button again. If these bugs were once in a blue moon, fine, but when it's 10 times a day? Really frustrating

:ssj:

Does your Podcast app have the ability to run in the background? That setting should be listed in "Battery Saver" app.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Update to 8.1 developer preview is out: https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/466626148193947648

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is he sending pictures or something? If you are on T-Mobile, try disabling "Wifi calling."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

G-III posted:

Trip report:

1. After letting the music app re-sync files, I restarted the phone and started up the music app. Nothing but a blank screen shows up, had to close the app and re-open to make it begin to RELOAD the music yet again.

2. 4 second delay from when you click on a menu item and when your music actually shows up. Each menu you swipe to must reload each time it's selected.

3. Radio menu is completely blank and does nothing

4. Searches for songs and artists in that work in Win 8.1 metro app for some reason don't show as "not found" on the Windows Phone app even though it's supposed to be connecting to the same bloody service.

5. If you swipe through the menus too quickly the menus will actually get stuck in mid animation and hang there for a bout 1 second.

6. Still no gapless playback which basically indicates that the development team working on this clearly refuses to learn anything about what a music player should actually do.

Summary: the app is still total trash. At this point I might just fire up my old HTC Tytn with Windows Mobile 6.0 because at least it had a functioning music player.

I'm sitting here right now with my 521 and...
1. I haven't had a problem with it starting up ever.
2. I get delays, sometimes 4 seconds, sometimes one or two. Right now switching tracks on an album is taking about 1, 1.5 seconds.
3. Radio isn't blank for me, it gives me a message about subscribers only (so maybe Xbox Music related?) There's a separate "FM Radio" app.
4. I tried some elementary searching and it worked.
5. Haven't had this problem myself.

:shrug:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Mine is friggin huge and I'm running out of space on my 920. It's absolutely a scaling issue, but it's one that didn't exist in previous iterations of the software.

What's huge to you? I have ~1400 songs on mine (all on the SD card of course.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Anyone else have an issue where they're connected to WiFi but the phone is using mobile data?

I know I am.

Is it a specific application or all of them?

If you launch the "cellular+SIM" settings, what's the setting for limited wifi connectivity?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

wormil posted:

I haven't messed with it much yet. My wife and I have been using Google Calendars for years, not only do we share calendars but I subscribe to a couple other calendars and not having them would be a considerable inconvenience. Actually looks like there is an 'all in one' google app and hopefully it will put the calendar in a tile.

For what it's worth, I just tried adding something to my Google calendar, hit sync on my 521 (which is connected to my Google account), and the appointment showed up. It's a universal calendar app, I see things from work and my Google/Outlook.com calendars.

If you want the built-in calendar app to display just things from your Google calendar, it looks like you can just go into Settings and enable only Google stuff.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Venusy posted:

The recovery tool couldn't detect my Lumia 820. Thankfully, I've now figured out that taking the Micro SD card out at least allows it to boot back to 8.1 with no problems. If I reinsert the micro SD and try to update again, the same thing happens. If I try to update without the Micro SD inserted, the gears only display briefly, and the update then fails with error 80188308 (which seems like it's happening to a lot of people).

Belfiore tweeted that they're looking into this. It's probably worth following him to know when the problem has been fixed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Anonononomous posted:

Do the built in Nokia maps do public transit? Or do I need to get a specialty app for that?

Nokia makes an app called HERE Transit. It works pretty well.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

I would love for some tech journalist to get intimate access with Satya and be allowed to ask, "Okay, seriously, what the HELL is wrong with you people and your stupid decisions? :psyduck:" It seems like everyone outside of Redmond sees things with a bewildered sense of clarity while MS just perpetually bumbles and disappoints.

I've heard this called the Redmond Reality Distortion Field.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That Vanity Fair article is very good, thanks for the link LentThem.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TopherCStone posted:

Looks like I'm heading back to iPhone for a while. Despite setting the APN correctly (and triple checking it) the 8x I bought will not send or receive MMS, and from what I'm seeing using other unlocked Windows phones on T-Mobile results in the same. Come Windows 10 full release I'll look back into it, because I found it an interesting platform, but it's certainly not compelling enough for me to forgo basic features.

This is usually due to the "Wifi Calling" feature which all but disables MMS. As far as I know, T-Mobile still hasn't fixed it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
My 521 running the latest DP bits is unstable as poo poo now. Frequently apps crash when I try to start them (it's happened with all of them, including basic apps like Calendar.) I'm not sure if it's the hardware, the DP, the lack of Cyan, having updated the phone OS a bunch of times since I've been on DP since it started, etc.

I want to try resetting the phone to stock 8.0 and installing the latest DP, and see if that corrects the situation. As far as I know, all the stuff I care about (message history, apps installed/setup, etc.) is stored in the cloud, but I think I need to have 8.1 on the phone before that will be restored. I certainly don't want to lose stuff if possible, and would rather not reinstall music which is currently sitting on the SD card. The only other thing on the SD card are offline maps, which I can redownload easily.

How do I do this?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 3, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Alternative pants posted:

I hate you for taking away my last excuse to not put my collection online. Now if only OneDrive would let me upload all 90GB in one go.

Why is it preventing you from doing this? I know people on the OneDrive client team and can pass feedback along.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Question: is the constant "Loading..." and "Resuming..." (and all the resulting flakiness) only because I have a low-end phone (521) or do the higher-end phones do the same thing?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LentThem posted:

It still happens, but less often. Still often enough that in some cases it's faster to force-quit the app and reopen it.

And since there's no ui/window border while resuming, sometimes I don't even know what app I'm backing into from the home screen

Yeah, I get a lot of "Loading/Resuming" which kicks me back to the main screen, sometimes another app. I'm one of those pre-paid people and buy my own phone, WP doesn't seem to have a lower-cost model that has 1GB (I guess the 735 but that isn't available in the US right?)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Furthermore I think the push towards cheaper prices is a misinterpretation of why the 520 was so successful. It wasn't just price, it was quality for the price. The 530 leveraged that model, not by attempting to improve quality but by slashing this in an effort to be even cheaper. I think the calculus there was wrong and hopefully the 535 is Microsoft recognizing this.

We'll see on the 535; Paul Therrott gave a pretty scathing review.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FRINGE posted:

What the hell?

I believe they've decided to shut down third party clients. Snapchat's whole gimmick is that viewed photos autodelete after X amount of time. If they don't control the client, then they can't make that guarantee. It makes some sense for a service like that to block third party clients.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FRINGE posted:

That all makes sense (if you believe them to begin with), I just couldnt believe that anyone thought snapchat was important enough to be 'a breaking point'.

I do believe them; 3rd party apps would destroy Snapchat's main "value proposition."

I'm kind of wary in general of saying "but why do you need X app, you can do this instead" because that has not served Windows Phone well in the past few years.

All that said, text messaging in general is the most reliable way of communicating with people due to way it is propagated, when we had our last earthquake you saw phone calls not getting through but SMS went through fine.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 14, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

Most of the Microsoft apps can hook in deeply enough to be full fledged replacements for any of the Google Services, but I do use Nine for activesync for work (which is a paid app). Hopefully Microsoft purchasing accompli helps in this regard.

I've been using Acompli at work (connecting to Office 365) and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing is that it keeps its own calendar, e.g. it doesn't integrate right now with the stock Android Calendar, at least on my Moto X.

Disclaimer: I work for MS, nothing to do with phones or Acompli, and nothing I say is the official or unofficial opinion of MS, Satya, or anyone else.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mr Funkface posted:

The plan is to get a replacement back off ebay with unsullied liquid strips and go in for a replacement which would hopefully get under the initial check radar. Would this work? Have I just incriminated myself?

I don't quite understand this - you'd buy a replacement off ebay, bring in the working replacement to the MS store to get a replacement for a working phone, and still have the broken one? Or you'd open the phone to switch out the liquid strips and sell the replacement phone which you'd almost certainly have to say you opened?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Windows Phone - Buy an iPhone

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Is the Moto G LTE still the best budget Android phone? My wife is tiring of not having the same apps as her friends on her Windows Phone so I'm looking to switch her over.

Is there a better budget phone that will have Lollipop?

This is probably a better question for the Android thread.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BonoMan posted:

True, but really I posted here because I was seeking like minded opinions without trying to get too deep into.

Oh. Well in that case I bought a 2013 Moto X on recommendations of the Android thread and am pretty happy, it has a bunch of the creature comforts she will be used to from WP but not too much bloat. The 2gb of RAM also helps (I think the G only has 1GB.) You won't have an SD card slot, but if the use case for lots of storage is music, Google Play takes care of that. You can also spring for the developer edition of the phone which has 32GB of onboard space. Biggest downside is a meh camera.

Note that this is purely a personal opinion, not one of my employer or the company execs or anyone else.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 8, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uthor posted:

New Moto G does not have LTE. Last year's does. No one knows why they took it out.

It probably cost some amount of circuitry to add to the phone, and if their telemetry said "almost nobody is using LTE for reasons" then why not take it out. They still offer the 2013 model last I checked.

Windows Phone - Which Android phone should I buy

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

You're right, I've actually already made the mental connection "Lumia=MS", forgetting that my 635 is actually a Nokia device.

On another note, my 635 with Dev Preview 8.1 Update 1 has stopped updating Live Tiles...this is still a thing in WP? Argh.

This happened a lot on my 521. It was really annoying when the weather tile said "50 degrees and sunny :buddy:" and then I went outside and it was 20 degrees. I'm not sure if it had to do with low memory or not.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Apparently MS and Samsung have settled their royalties dispute. Satya is already better at not stirring up poo poo than Steve was.

Satya is already better at not doing the "everyone not MS is our enemy" thing that Steve (and to a lesser extent Bill) did.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Thoughts on the Lumia Icon for Verizon? I broke my phone and am thinking of switching to a Windows Phone now that I'm using a Surface as my every day computer. I can get a refurbed one for $250. Is it worth it?

The people I know with Icons love theirs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

No, see, selling cheap phones with no margin is how you make money, not selling flagship phones that are marked up a ton.

Selling 20 different models of cheap phones with no margin you mean.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Isn't a mobile device that plays music called the "Talkman" going to run into trademark issues?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So what is a "business phone"? The two people I know who are comp'ed by their job have an iPhone and a Galaxy S4 (and planning their refresh.) They're both popular consumer devices as well.

At my workplace, I don't know anyone who is comp'ed, so we just buy whatever consumer-level phone that people buy anyway, though more Windows phones because [ob disclaimer I work for MS but not in phones.]

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Because large corporations would like to control your phone and keep the data on it secure remotely? Especially if they are paying for it. I don't see how that ISN'T relevant? :confused:

That isn't really a distinct phone tier, is it? Even my retired 521 supported it, as far as I know inexpensive Android phones support it too.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not so much here. Even the homescreen starts triggering resume screens not long after a reboot. Spotify's background task's getting killed more often than I'd like, if I do anything in Edge. Annoying as gently caress.

Is "Resuming..." still an issue? That's literally a trigger word for me after owning a 521.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

I'm curious to see what the inside of Nadella's Microsoft looks like. It seems to be shorter on Kool-Aid than Ballmer's, with more realistic expectations of itself. That's probably good in the long term, I guess :shrug:

I can walk down the hallway with an Android phone without someone following me yelling "SHAME!" which is definitely an improvement. I have a bunch of MS-made apps on my phone, and they're used because they are good, not just because I feel compelled to. Both are important changes.