Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lessail posted:

Have they said that they're removing all tether recoveries before? They changed all of them for characters that are in the direct which is probably for the best.

It seems like Up+B tether recoveries are gone but I wonder if that goes for Z-air tethers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm surprised they didn't do a section on controls, being that Brawl was really good about customizing controls I don't see it being an issue but it'd be nice to know that I'll be able to switch the buttons to whatever the hell on the 3DS.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Pissweak posted:

I saw this in the trailer and it blew my mind. I'm curious if Namco-Bandai put it in on purpose since they publish the Dark Souls games.

So Wii Fit Trainer is my main.

Or, you know, it's an actual Yoga Pose.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

I thought it was five minutes, then some other five minute thing where you dodge bullets, then another with some other condition, then battle.

Dodge bullets? What? No, it's 5 minutes of Metroid and then a battle with the boosted stats.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's still an exclusive game mode for a version of the game that is releasing months early. I mean they might as well just say they're liquifying the WiiU and no longer supporting it.

Oh boy, and so it starts.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

So. Smash Run. Why the hell is it only for 3DS? Is there some kind of amazing mode that's only going to be on the Wii U version instead? If there is, why didn't they say anything about it?

Presumably because everyone needs their own screen, why you can't just do this online? v:shobon:v

VVV: lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

:rolleyes:
Why even put in the feature if they couldn't balance around it at all? It's just kind of ridiculous.

Why does it matter if you can't play pubbies with your broken version of Mario?

F. Lobot posted:

I don't have any friends with a WiiU. I don't think anyone does. I think I'm justified in worrying that it'll be hard to find acquainted players with the same preferences.

What do you mean? What playing preferences are you going to want to play with? Why would your friends not having a Wii U mess with this at all?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Level Slide posted:

Smash 4 tournaments should be prefaced with a session of yoga.

They probably already smell bad enough, why would you want to amplify that. :gonk:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

F. Lobot posted:

It seems like all the custom rules and options and cool poo poo are confined to matches with friends, but seeing as how the WiiU install base is basically dead on arrival, random matchmaking will be the only option.

Not having friends with WiiU = missing out on online fun/glory.

You can play "For Fun" or "For Glory" with random people, it's only with friends where you'll get full access to all of the toggles to mess with, the former modes should be sufficient for everyone though and with friends you'll be able to tweak it just a bit further.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

F. Lobot posted:

I'm sad because I don't have friends (and I assume no one else does cause it's the WiiU) but I want full access to the online multiplayer. Is that so wrong?

You're right on the first part, I don't know anyone with a Wii U in person, but I'll just be playing with goons so problem solved?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calihan posted:

I cannot imagine this new plan is making them much in the way of actual money so far.

Well, they have been posting losses for some time now so there's that...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Icy Penguigo posted:

My first thought when coming up with a comp for him was also Falco. Throw him off the edge and he falls like a lead balloon, but still dangerous. I agree that spacing looks to be huge playing against Mac, might require a lot of reads and some solid DIing to not get combo'd to death against a really good player, too.

He seems like a glass cannon that'll require some skill to keep alive but will ruin people quickly in the right hands.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Manoueverable posted:

Also count me as another person who thinks Mac might be OP on For Glory mode. Unless characters have armor breaking moves, Mac could end up tanking a whole lot of stuff, and that KO punch looks pretty easy to combo into.

You can't tank grabs, I assume that playing 1 on 1 against Mac will require players to change things up and grab more and get his rear end in the air were he's utter poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I know I was just joking. It is a concern, especially because the whole "no characters who change" thing was also likely due to technical limits (even though I personally like that change). Hell, Olimar's Pikmin limit might be the same issue.

This is probably limitations with the 3DS memory, I assume Olimar was limited too because 4 Olimars with 6 Pikmin each would probably be hell on the 3DS to render. Then factor in the 3D and it'd be a slideshow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoctorWhat posted:

At least she's not five-foot-six like in Other M, though, that was loving Mai Waifu bullshit.

What? That's basically the average female height.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Yeah, yeah, high heels are totally impractical.

Counter-point: You know who else went into battle wearing high heels?

Those actually functioned as thumbs though and were able to grasp. :eng101:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoctorWhat posted:

Maybe, but she was long-since established as being over 6 feet tall, unarmored, partly due to the Chozo DNA in her.

JordanKai posted:

Samus is usually presented as being between 6'1" and 6'4" feet tall.

Does this really matter? I mean, especially since there's nothing to really gauge this against in any of the games who really gives a poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bpc908 posted:

These Character portraits are pretty badass

http://imgur.com/a/o0t9b

Using the Olimar one for my Windows 8 lock screen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bicyclops posted:

Chell is a woman that the player inhabits while Zero Suit Samus is disgusting male gaze bullshit, they're like the exact opposite of each other. The new design is crummy fanservice.

New? It's the same design from 10 years ago:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Reiley posted:

If you're not trolling you're missing a lot of really obvious points regarding the current model.

What, some lovely heels and slightly bigger tits?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Breasts that jut out so far you can see them while her back is turned.

She's not fully turned away from the camera, that's her side.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

The final smash could have her turn into Metroid Prime.

Dark Samus was created from the remaining Phazon after defeating Prime, so that wouldn't make much sense. Though, she could turn into the Aurora Unit (Mother Brain) from Prime 3.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Suspicious Cook posted:

They've brought in a couple MvC moves for him too, so I hope he has the same taunt:

Isn't that X though?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bicyclops posted:

They should just include a code, that's all. A free, easy code. It would allow people like me to unlock stuff and everybody else to relax and start with all the things.

I think the best way to handle is is make all of the characters super fast unlocks, like being able to unlock the whole cast in 20 minutes. Really simple tasks like "Play a 4 player match" and "Play a match as Mario vs Bowser" because it's the New Challenger Approaching screen that gets people excited and getting another character, no one really gives a poo poo how you do it and in Smash it's always been annoying and tedious to get characters anyway.

Another thing I realized is that how's it going to work via the 3DS? If you have to play X amount of matches to get Y character what happens if four people are playing, one person has played more than the others and the next match is going to lead to him unlocking the character. What happens to the other players? Do they wait for him to fight the new characters he's going to unlock? Do they just watch the match in progress? And will it unlock for just the one person or everyone that's currently connected and playing?

Reiley posted:

I would like "use your 3DS as a Wii U controller" please. Bring back the old GBA/GC cable technology except wireless.

Though I'd hate to give up my GC controller for it, I wouldn't mind doing this. I always have my 3DS on me and if I go to someone's house and they want to play Smash it'll be nice that I can connect and play with my 3DS and not use a Wiimote or other controller set-up since they probably won't have GC controllers and adapters.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Excels posted:

Just say "gently caress it" towards first-party relevance, you can start throwing in memes and urban gaming myths, Sakurai! How about a Polybius assist trophy that makes you black out and lose your memory

I believe that was called Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cliff Racer posted:

I noticed this with Yoshi's legs during the direct as well (and of course Zelda's hair falling through her boobs constantly.) The game is still under development and most of those quirks will be fixed before release.

They probably won't.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LanceKing2200 posted:

God I hope not.

because if there is I'll have to buy it :allears:

Same here, but I really like my ALBW 3DSXL so I'd be torn between switching (again). It'd have to have one hell of a sweet design.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

codenameFANGIO posted:

B probably works the best in a game, though I find D to be the most aesthetically pleasing.

I thought the same, D looks really loving cool.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waffleman_ posted:

To defend Kojima, he really wants to stop doing Metal Gear, but Konami won't let him.

What? How? They don't have a gun to the dude's head and he's probably well off enough to start his own studio to do new IPs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

horriblePencilist posted:

Link's tether looks HUGE.

I wonder if they've been playing Project M. Shame that the Brawl airdash was kept, now to see if you can still L cancel...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Excels posted:

Why would they remove air dodge? I still don't know what "wavedashing" even is, are they related?

It's not removed, it's just the Brawl Air dodge where you can't dash in the direction you want, you do a mid-air spot dodge as you fall instead. Wavedashing was a spacing technique where you air dodged into the ground immediately after hitting the jump button.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This thread is worse than Brawl.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supercar Gautier posted:

The duality of man. In one hand, Sakurai holds a light controller. The other, dark.

The light side reveals fan favourites and arranges delightfully funny poses. The dark side mockingly deconfirms every character on your wish list.

If this is how he's playtesting it I have no hope.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't know why they didn't make her and the other Pikmin characters different skins for Olimar? Kinda dumb.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Because it would involve more than just skins, they'd need different voice work. At very least for the announcer. Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac are the only two we've seen with different skins, and both of those alts can still just be called by the base name.

If there ends up being DLC, though, I'm almost certain new skins for a lot of characters will happen.

If a bunch of nerds could do this thing for Project M, Nintendo could do it for Smash The Fourth.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Excels posted:

I respect Sakurai for trying to add a storyline to Smash Bros. It didn't really pan out but it was kind of cool.

It was the worst, I preferred the "stories" of the first two titles. 64 the characters were just toys a child brings to life with his imagination and plays with until he's done and leaves his room, Melee everything was a trophy and you were a collector living out your favorite fantasy battles as a Nintendo fan, because ultimately these games allow us to pit our favorite Nintendo characters against each other to solve the age-old school yard question of who could beat who in a battle. They captured what our childhood imaginations were doing for years before the series came to be. Simple but drat effective and that's all they needed to be.

gently caress SSE.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's a fair enough point on both counts, but I can't imagine actually being upset about SSE's existence. It is what it is.

The amount of time they spent on that mode could have been spent on making some fun single player modes. Or a game that didn't suck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

We haven't heard much on the single player have we?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

He did say some characters rather than all of them. There are instances where this won't really work smoothly. Any character that uses a one-handed sword, especially Link with a shield in his off hand, would look rather odd if they switched how his hands were positioned. and obviously Samus resting her right hand on her left arm would just be silly.

Didn't Samus face straight rather than 2/3rds like everyone else to emulate Super Metroid and whatnot? It shouldn't be much of an issue to keep her facing regularly. Never realized the Kirby thing though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

nerdbot posted:

It'd be really neat if Ganondorf had his dual blades from Wind Waker, but could just toss them away and start punching people, but transforming characters are out the window. At the very least, I hope he keeps his dive move.

I think transforming characters are only out due to limitations of the 3DS, if everyone chose a transforming character the game would have to load 8 character models and sounds into RAM which I don't think would be easy. Having a character change up playstyles shouldn't be an issue though, you'd only have a little more per character to load. I don't see them doing it but I hope they change Ganondorf radically but keep some of his beefy-rear end moves.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Plasbad posted:

So, anyone know what's up with this? http://www.onefinalsmash.com/

No idea but that background is god drat mesmerizing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Crusher posted:

I vaguely recall reading some guy's recollection of when he holed M2K up during a convention or something. Jerking off under blankets (in another person's house no less), being really antisocial to the point of creep, and riding in the trunk of cars between locations. Something like that. He just seems like a gross person.

I think the story was he had nowhere to go for the evening because his flight/bus out of town was the next day and someone reluctantly offered him a couch to sleep on. He didn't say much until they got back to the dude and his girlfriend's place then demanded the wifi password to connect his phone. He sat under a blanket and beat off. Didn't even wait for them to leave the room I think. Dude's pure class.

Echo Chamber posted:

I've crossed paths with M2K, back when I was in college our suite had him stay over for a night or two to play Smash with my roommates. I didn't interact with him that much, but he didn't leave a great impression on roommates. (I have a longer version of the story, but the last time I wrote it down, nobody cared and it's far from the worst or most interesting M2K story.)

It's been 7 years since that story. Apparently, he cleaned up his act a little bit; he's still an acquaintance of an acquaintance. He apparently has a girlfriend, but is still unsure what to do with his life. I'm actually a bit concerned that being rejected by Nintendo could break him.

Do share.

This is kinda rear end and I hope you can turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Golden Goat posted:

Sooooo the adapter thing is pretty cool. Does that mean we're getting a rerelease of Gamecube controllers too?

Imagine they didn't, "So here's a peripheral you can only use with 15 year old controllers that we hope you still have!" It doesn't seem to make much sense but then again, gotta remember it's Nintendo. I'd kill for some sweet color schemes.

• Locked thread