Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Really curious to see the changes to All-Star mode, considering ATs factor into them heavily now.

For those complaining about the heels on ZSS, they existed in Other M and were terrible, but at least they're now somewhat functional by being jets.

The Palutena fake-out got me good, and when the newcomer trailer showed the cloudy sky I expected it to be her because of it.

Love wire-frame Mac. Great costume, not just for unique look but for it's callback to the original arcade entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, so are Greninja and Charizard their own distinct characters, or are they part of Pokemon Trainer?

No more form change characters, so each character can have a full and powerful moveset. Also probably caused issues with the 3DS version, I remember from a Kotaku article suggesting the Koopa Kids that multi-characters were giving them issues.

I also wouldn't put Elecman as being the only assist trophy for Megaman. Sakurai has said in a few interviews Capcoms been very easy to work with and open to stuff - where as normally 3rd party coordination can be difficult because meeting what they want while also trying to do your own thing. The fact we saw the Metools and other Megaman forms shows Capcom is pretty onboard with anything, yet not a Badnik in sight!

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

Glory mode being FD-only is kinda lame since the tournament scene hasn't played exclusively on FD in...well, ever. Battlefield is more common, even in Melee.

Also the fact that you can be banned in For Fun mode because you overly targeted certain players is the most :psyduck: thing.

At least there's some variety with the FD now.

With everyone talking about which Poke they would have preferred, I would have loved Sylveon, but Greninja is alright.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

What stage is this?

Also sharks for the AC Island

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think he's wondering where the photos are from. They're from smashbros.com.

Where? I can find all the new reveals photos, but nothing with the items. In fact, for me Smashbros.com doesn't even have the spot for the pic of the day anymore, it's now overtaken by a bunch of custom CHALLENGER APPROACHING blocks.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Also, probably more conveneint retrofitting, but each of the veterans revealed in the Direct match up in art-style to the 3 crates from the Pic of the Day. And then we have Pikachu, a Pokemon, chilling on top of one for the movie after the Direct which he was in standing next to Charizard in.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

The largest Smash Bros stage yet?

Hopefully it plays more like Hyrule Temple and less like New Pork City.

Considering a majority of the stage is actually platforms and not just a big rear end background with a medium sized platform, I'm leaing towards the former.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

By far the highlight of that whole show was the return of Kremlings.

King K. Rool may not be such a long shot.

e:

I believe that's a scrolling stage.

You can see Sonic down by the bottom green area and Villager up at the top left.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So do we know if this new one is going to have dumb poo poo like tripping? or will this be an actual game like meelee?

No tripping. Combat looks faster than Brawl, but I noticed nobody really fell as fast as Melee, but at least faster than Brawl.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Space T Rex posted:

Can you customize Zero Suit Samus's Rack? Seems to be a priority at smash HQ anyways.

They have to collaborate with Nintendo to get approval on how characters are presented. Namco-Bandai and Sora Ltd. (is independently owned, not a subsidiary) are not Nintendo.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

i'm not sure how to take this post.

These characters and franchises are owned by someone who is not the developer. For a character to appear in the game they have to collaborate with Nintendo to reach an agreement on how each character is implemented, with some development teams even having a say in how they're included. Sakurai has mentioned publicly Pokemon characters take a bit more discussion than most, probably because of the nature of the IP and the Pokemon Company.

It's not "Smash HQ" that decided to further sexualize Samus in her design, it was the design they were okayed to use.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Wind God Sety posted:

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone link this gallery of new screenshots. Some stills from the Nintendo Direct, but I think a fair amount of new info there. Someone tell me if I'm crazy, but is this item the S Flag from the Tales games? Or is it from something else and I'm not recognizing it?

Lot of new item pics in here. Very nice. Not sure about the flag.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

The ship stealer from Galaga is there too
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48280274@N02/13729381833/in/set-72157643678092364

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Space T Rex posted:

Oh this reminds me, like someone else already said, why the gently caress doesnt skull kid crash a moon into the stage?!?!

It is weird, especially since Palkia does the same thing.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

On rewatching, I noticed Samus run off the edge on he right an come back on the left - like in Balloon Fighter.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Are we sure those aren't Assist Trophies?

They're in the items folder of the press kit, not the assist trophy one. Could be a mistake though.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Greninja threw a wrench into any 'leaks', really. He's striking and iconic enough that he would've come up in real leaks, yet so specifically unexpected that nobody actually would have said it.

'A Pokemon from X and Y' was a guess a child could have made, but specifically deciding on Greninja? Not so easy.

It's culled a lot of "leaks" floating out there at least. There was practically none with Geninja, and pretty much all of them still have Zelda/Shiek, Pokemon Trainer or introduce a new character who changes. Right now the Gamasutra leak is the only one that hasn't been killed - even if 'A Pokemon from X and Y' is safe baby bullshit. Doesn't mean it's more real, but it's the only left to be debunked.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

nerdbot posted:

I really want to believe the Gamasutra leak just because everything it calls sounds awesome. Do you even know how much I'd love Rhythm Heaven Chorus Men as a fuckin character.

If you want my bet I think the initial Wii Fit Trainer leak was legit and Pac-Man and Mii will be a thing but some other guy claiming to be the same guy who leaked WFT made the newer call with Shulk, XY Pokemon, Chorus Men et al. But I still wanna believe it anywho.

I will say though, failing to specify the Pokemon does start to make it a little shaky. Unless he knew Greninja was coming that day specifically and didn't want to ruin it for the Direct - which is possible, but also just convenient.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

GenericMartini posted:

Hmm if Charizard X is Charizard's mega evolution they could use Mewtwo to represent Y's mega evolution.

Or he could use neither because he's not in. :twisted:

But seriously, I think they just chose X because it looked more different from his main design and is cooler. Maybe he'll get Mega Y on the 3DS?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I haven't followed Smash news lately is there any chance of a Castlevania character getting in, or Space Pirate?

That's what I really want. :shrug:

idk dude, maybe? I guess Space Pirate being 1st party means it's more likely. If either happen.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Silver Sound posted:

Time for somewhat baseless speculation.

During the Assist Trophy segment of the Direct, people were commenting how Waluigi and Ashley had the Wario "W", and other misc. trophies without fighter reps. would just have the generic Smash symbol. So odviusly that makes Wario in the game.

Then there's also this

The only trophy shown without a fighting rep. that had a unique symbol. Possible hint at a Nintendogs or Nintencats fighter? Because that would be hilarious.

Stages always get a series icon - even with no fighter. Dr. Wright just has a generic Smash logo, but I bet if there was a Sim City stage it'd have some icon.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Pic of the day on Miiverse, not on the main site though.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Electromax posted:

If a second Metroid rep got in, just make it Space Pirate. Plenty of ideas between Super, Zero Mission and Prime for those. Ridley is lame and now Charizard is blowing up his spot anyway.

We're actually gonna get Adam in his blue space armor and laser rifle unironically with no funny jokes about authorization and it's going to loving own.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Spekhogger posted:

The only bad thing is now people are going to be pleading their favorite Pokemon be put into the game.

Hey man, Sylveon wasn't show as a pokeball pokemon, there's totally still hope

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can you imagine the internet shitstorm if Adam was a playable character and Ridley wasn't? Ridley's at the top of my list for most wanted newcomers but I almost want to see that happen instead just to see the internet react.

I want it to happen just because of that. Like really badly.

LividLiquid posted:

Fusion, Other M, and which is the third now?

Adam in Fusion was cool. He was just her ship AI based on his mind and you were told about him through Samus starlogs.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Also, everyone I know IRL went from "I'll buy the Wii U version" to "Ugh poo poo now I'm going to buy both", including myself.

Weird, everyone I know IRL collectively breathed in a sigh of relief and said "Thank god, I don't have to buy the Wii U for another year."

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Crawfish posted:

Way to put words in my mouth dude.

If i'm frustrated at all, it's because this just sounds like bitching for the sake of bitching. It'd be like being furious with Microsoft for having to buy Halo because you wanted a good FPS game while not really giving a poo poo about anything related to the Halo universe and being surrounded by other FPS games.

Also you can't really blame me for suggesting buying another game in the genre as a solution when you said it was just a good game before going all obsession over it.

Probably because they want to play the game for it's gameplay. And they don't like the gameplay of Mario or Pikmin. Because it plays nothing like those.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Thwack! posted:

While I wholeheartedly agree on how awful Playstation All Stars is, hearing about Megabyte Punch being bad is new to me. Especially considering that I was mildly interested in it pre release. Any reason why it's terrible?

Playstation All Stars isn't even that awful. It's more disappointing than anything. As far as Smash clones go it's held my attention alot longer than others, and it's recent patch has given me something to do while waiting to to get Smash 3DS.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Also pic of the day with Smash Run info.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

GameXplain video pointed out a piece of the Dragoon spawned during Mario and Sonic fighting on Halberd, leaving only the Fan, Cracker Launcher and Party Ball as the only items from Brawl we've yet to see return. Parasol, Barrel Canon, Cloaking Device an Flipper (already confirmed to not return by Sakurai) are the only items from Melee to not return (and didn't return in Brawl either) yet.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Crawfish posted:

I thought the Parasol was in Brawl, and I didn't know the Super Hot Curry was confirmed for Smash 4 yet.

And nope, Parasol didn't return.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Parasol

Also forgot Red Shell didn't return either.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Sonic was supposed to be a secret, but the game's delay led to a dearth in Dojo content and Sakurai was forced to spill it early.

Sonic was the reason for the delay. His and Green Hill Zones files are the last added, almost a year before the last modified file (a file for Wolf).

Also, yeah, outside of Snake and Sonic the rest of the secret characters were hidden until release, and later posted on the Dojo after it's release. Lucario and Jigglypuff leaked in the sticker video, where one of the stickers showed there icons.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Theyre also making Robo-Fortune and Fukua was an April Fools joke born from an old Filia typo.

The Fukua april fool was also a jab at Decapre (Cammy with a mask) for USF4 and Phase-4 (Kasumi with hood) for DO5A.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 14, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I wonder, with the wording of "very, very new" and the lack of a reveal for X/Y means Greninja was only relatively recently added. Neat notes on one of his attacks too.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Honestly? I don't think kids know Pac Man, despite Namco's insistent efforts to make crappy Pac Man cartoons and video games aimed at them. They didn't grow up with it like adults did. I don't think Namco's kept Pac-Man relevant the same way Warner Bros has been able to keep the Scooby Doo perpetual motion device operating. The current Pac-Man thing, which is Pac-Man in high school, airs on a second-rate Disney spinoff channel. And that was the first Pac-Man game aimed at kids since.. Pac-Man World 3 in 2007. So a 6-7 year gap.

Kids love Pac-man dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZt4ZgEZj9c

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Squallege posted:

I had a feeling it would be this kid. I wonder how the frick he's been.

I hope his parents unground him so he can release a special video when Pac-man gets announced for Smash and he records his reaction.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Why do the MonHun people have so much power? It's huge in Japan, I know, but that seems excessive. It's not a Game Freak 2nd-party situation, is it? I thought CapCom made the MonHuns in-house.

Because there are developers, teams and IP holders who manage and create the games, and have a say in how they're represented outside of them. It was the same with Sony in PSABR, even with first party characters, for example not being able to use Ico or Wander. It's also the same with Nintendo. Intelligent Systems and Nintendo EAD Software Development Group No. 2 are both in-house Nintendo, they still have a say in collaboration with Sakurai in how Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are represented.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

GenericMartini posted:

I think Isaac looks cool, but goddamn am I sick of everyone wanting him. I get it he looks cool and he does magic, but Golden Sun has had another game since then and Isaac isn't even the hero anymore can we please move on to that guy instead.

No let's just put Pac-man in instead.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

What ever happened to recurring pre-Brawl poll toppper Geno from Super Mario RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm guessing the fans finally realized that if Sakurai struck a deal with Square for a 3rd party character, Geno wouldn't even be in the top 5 list of the characters that they wanted.

Man, it'd own if Sakurai added him in this time, only to find out nobody wants him anymore.

• Locked thread