Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

So. Smash Run. Why the hell is it only for 3DS? Is there some kind of amazing mode that's only going to be on the Wii U version instead? If there is, why didn't they say anything about it?

Because every player needs their own screen for their individual Metroidvania adventures.

Whatever special Wii U mode exists, it's clearly not ready yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

When playing with friends, all those options are yours!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

"Hey you can customize character movesets...only in offline so it doesn't loving matter"

gently caress am I even going to buy this game? Jesus christ.

You can use the custom movesets in friend matches online, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm very concerned that the Ice Climbers will be cut due to the 3DS's limitations. Handling as many as eight equally-complex 60fps fighters at once could not be possible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Popo and Nana are synchronous (or very exactly asynchronous), that's the point. They'd be unplayable at different framerates.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lemming posted:

I feel like there's basically no way they're gonna cut any characters that have been in every game. That would be a pretty weird decision and would make people mad for no reason.

Well the original 12 are safe, I'm sure. But Melee folks are fair game.

bef posted:

Is Rosalina's Luma at 30 fps?

Rosalina's Luma isn't literally Rosalina recolored. It's probably less than 1/10th as complex, visually or computationally.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

As I said above:

DoctorWhat posted:

Rosalina's Luma (or the Phantom) isn't literally Rosalina recolored. It's probably less than 1/10th as complex, visually or computationally.

I'm thinking Rosalina's gonna "fill" the two-character twin control "gimmick" of the Climbers. I'd be happy to be wrong but I'm not counting on them making it in.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

The pikmin are probably each 1/4 as complex so if you have 4 Olimars each with their max 3 pikmin out and then they all simultaneously do their up B does that count as 8 characters?

The Pikmin are like 1/20th the polycount if we're being generous, and very basic textures.

Seshoho Cian posted:

So the problem here, is that too many Ice Climbers will make the game freeze?

get out

(yes)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reiley posted:

Samus has weirdly-shaped breasts and I don't know how that passed Nintendo's QA.

It's this poo poo. I can deal with the jet-heels (though not the pointless heels from Other M) but the loving boob-socks are just egregious pandering. It's awful.

At least she's not five-foot-six like in Other M, though, that was loving Mai Waifu bullshit.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 10, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

What? That's basically the average female height.

Maybe, but she was long-since established as being over 6 feet tall, unarmored, partly due to the Chozo DNA in her.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The second half of Kid Icarus: Uprising was pretty well-concealed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Why do the MonHun people have so much power? It's huge in Japan, I know, but that seems excessive. It's not a Game Freak 2nd-party situation, is it? I thought CapCom made the MonHuns in-house.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Science Team has vapor for brains.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Excels posted:

Marth Organism Designed Only For Killing?

Marth Organism Designed Only for Kawaii.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

Zamus and Marth aren't the only ones with broken bodies!

Maybe it'll look better in motion but yeah, all the animations have looked kinda crummy for this one. The lines of action are all wrong.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Can someone refresh my memory on the new "Ledge Priority" mechanics?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Did they have any of the demos going on at the Nintendo World Store itself in NYC last year at the same time? They might have something going on there again if so.

They did, yeah.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I'm curious if they're going to encourage the players to A) pick the new characters B) don't just go for the boring flat stages and C) play with items on?

I mean it's a tournament so I imagine the competitors want to play with competitive rules, but on the other hand this is 100% a promotional tool and they'd want to have them show off all the game has to offer. Or perhaps they'll have for glory and for fun matches at this invitational thing to show off both.

I don't play competitively, but I think it's really cool how they included Final Destination versions of most of the stages.

:psyduck: That would be genius

I would legit be okay with Simon from the Yogscast being a special DLC for Smash Bros real talk

An SA Goon in Smash would be incredible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

Wario will probably return, don't worry.

Wario hangs out on Tumblr now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DrPaper posted:

He's in a gay relationship with his brother too.

Wario and Waluigi aren't siblings.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

Charles Martinet (the guy who does Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi's voices) maintains that they're just some dudes who found common interest in being evil and weird and now they just sort of hang out and do that.

I believe his wording was "weird, evil dudes who found each other".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Miku is a dumb anime waifu moeblob who exists only to pander to lonely greasy nerds and their fat wallets, sorry but it's true.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

As a Noted New Yorker, all chain and frozen pizzas are inedible trash garbage, as are all pizzas not found in the Greater Tri-State Area.

La Bruchetta in Park Slope, Brooklyn, is the best slice on earth.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mordja posted:

I'm looking forward to getting this for 3DS, but my one reservation is that the characters will get too small with zoom, especially on the larger stages. Does anyone who's played that new Kirby game know how the VS levels compare in size?

Well, for one each player gets their own screen. But in addition, those thick black outlines on the 3DS version are designed to make characters "readable" at a distance.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Color Printer posted:

At least it looks like they're making new models for a lot of the trophies instead of half-assing it like Brawl. (That is a new model, right?)

Then again, a lot of the more obscure/not mainstream ones got new models anyway so who knows.

Kurtofan posted:

I think the switch to HD is going to force them to redo models for the trophies. 3DS might be a different story.

If I remember right, most of the good looking trophy models from Brawl were based on things from GBA/DS games.

They kept re-using (with new textures) models from goddamn Pokemon Stadium right up until they released that Pokedex 3D app on 3DS.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I doubt it. In the Greninja trailer you could see Lucario's eyes glowing yellow which is what happens when you have a final smash

...? Why would that indicate that Lucario's Final Smash would be a Mega Transformation?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's only fair, seeing as he got to objectify Samus in Other M, that he get object-ified in return.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It'll probably just be a way to get trophies and such.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Haha, sucker, broken imageleech!

IKE CONFIRMED

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Countblanc posted:

That is incredibly surprising, but fortunately I like surprises.

You like Ike? Good. We like Ike.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Why are people so confident Snake is getting cut?

Because he's a third-party character and MGS/Konami aren't on the best terms with Nintendo at the moment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Calaveron posted:

The shoulda gone for broke and have LWB Link.
Speaking of, haven't played that game. Should I get it? I hear good things about it.

get it Get it GET IT it's great. Best Zelda in years.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Insert picture/gif of Senator Vreenak.

And someone quotes it and says "Senator Vreenak confirmed."

Followed by "Senator Vreenak is too big."

it's a fake

that's the joke you were dancing around, right?

Good. I love Deep Space Nine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

bef posted:

The gamecube controller is the perfect controller

It's missing a left bumper and the D-Pad is garbage and the sticks aren't buttons but THOSE TRIGGERS FEEL PERFECT and that makes up for everything

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Squallege posted:

Did they even do anything for the year of Luigi?

NSLU, Luigi Bros, Dr. Luigi, 8-bit Luigis hidden all over 3D World, Super Luigi Bros (sorta), tons of stuff!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

A reddit thing happened on my way to the Smash Bros forum

I understood that reference! I, too, enjoy Zero Mostel!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

It's perfectly fine and in fact beneficial in a pre-release, reality show styled E3 event with a wacky ruleset (seriously read the rules, in the event of an absolute tie the winner is chosen based on which name the crowd cheers louder) that focuses on fun and is entirely paid for by Nintendo. But in a serious 'For Glory' setting the top 16 needs to be the actual best 16 players available, and demographics can't be a factor or else the integrity is gone and there's no glory in that.

There's integrity - albiet of a different persuasion - in promoting equality, especially if promoting equality has such trivial repercussions as the outcome of a video game tournament.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rooreelooo posted:

I bet that after the final battle of the tournament, a NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING banner flashes. M2K walks on stage and barfs all over the GamePad

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Considering the amount of times players were screaming out for gamecube controllers I figure they'll make a neat profit off all this. Assuming that most people will want the game + 1-4 controllers + the adapter.

I reckon they'll bundle the adapter with one Smash-Branded GCN controller for around $30-$40 total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

I'm hoping the adapter is packaged with the game by default, because it would suck to bring your own controller to a friend's house and not be able to use it.

...you could just bring the adapter with you, too? It's not big.

• Locked thread