Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Too serious. It doesn't feel accurate to me to refer to the guy who made The Color Purple and Empire of the Sun and Schindler's List as a genre director. Not a pure one, anyway.
Do you feel the same way about Ridley Scott?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

People always forget that Joe Dante exists for some reason.

I don't think people forget him so much as he's just not that great. He's got Gremlins and Piranha and the Howling and, like, what even fills the #4 spot? Gremlins 2? Matinee? Innerspace?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Do you feel the same way about Ridley Scott?

Probably, although the bigger problem with Ridley Scott is that he's wildly inconsistent.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
carpenter made some of the best uses of kurt russell in the 80s. the thing, escape from new york and big trouble in little china, all in the span of, like, six years. carpenter/russell is my favorite director/actor duo.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Dante is perfectly solid but his output isn't nearly a strong as Carpenter. I mean just in sheer volume of quality films.

Verhoven and Cronenberg are good choices though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looney Tunes: Back In Action, The Second Civil War, yes, Gremlins 2 you motherfucker, and The Burbs

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
As far as the genre director discussion, what about...

John Landis (Animal House, Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London, Trading Places)

Frank Oz (The Muppets Take Manhattan, Little Shop of Horrors, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, What About Bob?, Bowfinger)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just about to bring up Landis. Animal House, American Werewolf, Blues Brothers and Thriller are enough.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slate Action posted:

John Landis (Animal House, Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London, Trading Places)

I was gonna say, I'd give a spot to Landis before I gave one to Dante.

And I have no idea how the gently caress I forgot about Cronenberg, who's like one of my favorite directors period.

Looney Tunes: Back In Action, The Second Civil War, yes, Gremlins 2 you motherfucker, and The Burbs

Back In Action doesn't count if we're limiting it to 20th century. I know Gremlins 2 is a big hit around here but I like about one gag and find the rest of it actively irritating.

Never heard of The Second Civil War. How is it?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Which would you say is Dante's peak?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like Gremlins 2 more than any Carpenter film but overall Carpenter is still the better director.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

Which would you say is Dante's peak?

God drat it.

Other guys who maybe deserve a mention:

-We've all been ignoring the elephant in the room that is the Coen Brothers. I'm on the fence to whether I consider them "genre guys" or not though. They've certainly done experiments in pure genre (Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, The Hudsucker Proxy) but most of their stuff is in a different idiom. Even their magnum opus Fargo, which is ostensibly a crime thriller, doesn't really play by many rules of the crime thriller.

-Steven Soderbergh. For pretty much the same reason as the Coen brothers, and also much of his great genre stuff would be post-2000.

-I wanna throw a mention for Tarkovsky in there just because his two contributions to sci-fi are two of the best the genre has ever seen, but it doesn't really feel in the spirit of things.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Definitely Cronenberg. With maybe Gilliam as a runner up.

Best Carpenter movie: Big Trouble in Little China

Best Carpenter score: Halloween

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think the big reason I'ma give it to Carpenter over Raimi and Cronenberg is variety. Carpenter moved with such ease from genre to genre - horror, comedy, fantasy, sci-fi, action - and he did them all great. And it's not just a matter of genre, but of tone. His movies occupy every just about every note on the scale from "deadly serious" to "completely wacky" and, again, do them all really well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Would Kubrick count? Most of his movies are genre flicks and all of them came out in the second half of the 20th century. Maybe Tarantino. If you count things he wrote but didn't direct you've got Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, from Dusk til Dawn, True Romance and Jackie Brown. That's a hell of a run.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Would Kubrick count? Most of his movies are genre flicks and all of them came out in the second half of the 20th century.

I guess, if you're into that sort of thing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

-We've all been ignoring the elephant in the room that is the Coen Brothers. I'm on the fence to whether I consider them "genre guys" or not though. They've certainly done experiments in pure genre (Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, The Hudsucker Proxy) but most of their stuff is in a different idiom. Even their magnum opus Fargo, which is ostensibly a crime thriller, doesn't really play by many rules of the crime thriller.
I think the Coens are pretty comparable to Wes Anderson in terms of genre. Many of Anderson's films can be simplified into genres. Bottle Rocket is a heist movie, Rushmore is a teen comedy, and The Life Aquatic is an action movie. Even the Royal Tenenbaums, while not fitting into a clear genre, follows a common story archetype of a family coming home and reconciling over a major life event. But what he and the Coens do feels more like appropriation. Although they go about in different ways. Anderson takes basic structure and puts his own spin on it until it's no longer recognizable as that genre. The Coens actually play off recognizable tropes and cues of genre. Hucksucker Proxy is probably the best example. It is clearly mimicking the screwball comedy genre of the first half of the 20th century, but they take it to such extremes that it becomes a very different thing while still resembling those movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the Coens are pretty comparable to Wes Anderson in terms of genre. Many of Anderson's films can be simplified into genres. Bottle Rocket is a heist movie, Rushmore is a teen comedy, and The Life Aquatic is an action movie. Even the Royal Tenenbaums, while not fitting into a clear genre, follows a common story archetype of a family coming home and reconciling over a major life event. But what he and the Coens do feels more like appropriation. Although they go about in different ways. Anderson takes basic structure and puts his own spin on it until it's no longer recognizable as that genre. The Coens actually play off recognizable tropes and cues of genre. Hucksucker Proxy is probably the best example. It is clearly mimicking the screwball comedy genre of the first half of the 20th century, but they take it to such extremes that it becomes a very different thing while still resembling those movies.

Like Tarantino, Wes Anderson is a guy I would not call a genre filmmaker so much as a filmmaker who created his own genre. You could maybe throw the Coens into that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's now a sign at the driveway about towing. That sign was not there yesterday. Also the rental office received multiple complaints about her being in a reserved spot but never contacted us because they "didn't know who to call" despite our cars's make, models, and plates, along with our licenses, being on file in that office.

I want to have a loving blood orgy in that office. Nobody in there has two brain cells to rub together. I can't get them to communicate about anything from my loving mailbox key (still waiting on a second copy of that, a week and a half after I move in and a botched copy later) to paperwork I need to move in to cars being towed. It's a shitshow. If anyone is ever thinking about moving into an MAA property, particularly the COlonial Village at Greystone in Mint Hill NC, don't. Don't do it. I hope they google their name and see this and see me telling them to open their wrists.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 26, 2014

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Maxwell Lord posted:

Best Carpenter movie: Big Trouble in Little China

this is the correct answer.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The thing about genre filmmaking is that the line has become blurred as time has gone on. Are Solaris and Stalker "genre" films? What about 2001 and A Clockwork Orange? How are these different from Escape from New York, or even Laserblast? When you start putting Tarkovsky and Carpenter in the same sandbox you have to start questioning whether the term means anything at all. What constitutes genre filmmaking? What even is the alternative?

It's the same thing in literature where there's "Genre Fiction" and "Literary Fiction." And the only real difference seems to be quality. Because if Bradbury and Vonnegut and even Mary Shelley are considered literary, then why even have a distinction?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Are Solaris and Stalker "genre" films?

Yes.

quote:

What about 2001 and A Clockwork Orange?

Yes.

Genre/literary binary is not ideal but it is something that exists so rather than deny its validity I like to meet it head on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Would Miyazaki count as a genre filmmaker (dealing almost 100% in fantasy)? If so he gets my vote.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Would Miyazaki count as a genre filmmaker (dealing almost 100% in fantasy)? If so he gets my vote.

He's a filmmaker... in the genre of anime!! :unsmigghh:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I'd probably file him under the same thing I said about Wes Anderson and Tarantino.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes.

Yes.

Genre/literary binary is not ideal but it is something that exists so rather than deny its validity I like to meet it head on.

I agree that they are, but I think it's a ridiculous binary. Is Frankenstein genre fiction? Totally. But it's also considered "literary." It's always up to the genre piece to crossover into the literary realm. Supermarket romance novels are considered to be their own type of genre fiction, but so many of the greatest literary works are romances. Hammett and Chandler are now canonized as Literary, but James Patterson is genre fiction. In film terms it's like the distinction between Annie Hall and Along Came Polly. What is even the point of a distinction?

Maybe I'm just too used to hearing "Genre" used as a dismissive term.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Maybe I'm just too used to hearing "Genre" used as a dismissive term.

So is everybody who writes genre fiction.

But as far as why there's a distinction, it's simple: some people specifically like genre fiction. I know I do.

I don't think anyone in here was using the term dismissively.

In other news, I just started 50 Shades of Grey. People talk funny in this book.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 26, 2014

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think people forget him so much as he's just not that great. He's got Gremlins and Piranha and the Howling and, like, what even fills the #4 spot? Gremlins 2? Matinee? Innerspace?

Innerspace owns, ya nudge. Gremlins 2 too. And his twilight zone segment.

Anybody reppin' Besson? Cause I'll do it.

Edit: nah, actually gently caress that. Maybe Jeunet, though.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 26, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The line between high art and low art is a classist demarcation and should be ignored.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I swear to god I want to dance in a rain of blood and viscera while singing the praises of the Dark Lord of the Pit (Hail Satan) right about now. That's how muhc this rental company is pissing me off.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

My favorite Carpenter score is Christine. The flick tends to get forgotten when people talk about Carpenter but I think it's one of his best. Keith Gordon is really loving good as Arnie and sells the transformation so well, and Carpenter's score is this utterly unnerving romantic lullaby. I love it. I hope Death Waltz or someone else reissues it. The CD I have is mixed really poorly so that the high notes sound like poo poo unless you turn the volume way down.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Innerspace owns, ya nudge. Gremlins 2 too. And his twilight zone segment.

Innerspace has really cool special effects but I'd rather chop my dick off than suffer through Martin Short doing his thing.

I do like his Twilight Zone segment though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Am I the only motherfucker who still thinks Halloween is Carpenter's best movie?

Escape from New York is the best theme, or maybe Big Trouble. Ghosts of Mars is weirdly high up there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkQ80xVsSoE

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Am I the only motherfucker who still thinks Halloween is Carpenter's best movie?

It's a very close second. But Halloween is only objectively perfect, whereas Escape From New York is loving awesome.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's a very close second. But Halloween is only objectively perfect, whereas Escape From New York is loving awesome.

I was about to say Escape from New York is his best premise, but actually now that I think about it I think it's Prince of Darkness - trapped in a church performing science experiments on the devil is radtown USA.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

penismightier posted:

gently caress no, that movie is perfect.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Innerspace has really cool special effects but I'd rather chop my dick off than suffer through Martin Short doing his thing.

I do like his Twilight Zone segment though.

See, I was one of those demented children who grew up watching Martin Short movies and loving them. A few ECT sessions fixed that up though.

But seriously, even disregarding the special effects, the perfectly 80s production design and the direction in general is awesome. Some pretty great visual gags in there, independent of special effects and, best of all, independent of Martin Short. I wish I could find some clips.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In other news regarding thinks that haven't driven me to homicidal rage, this interview ith Morrison about Multiversity rules: http://comicsalliance.com/grant-morrison-multiversity-interview-dc-comics-comic-con-san-diego/

This book is going to be insane and written by a crazy person and it's going to be awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

I swear to god I want to dance in a rain of blood and viscera while singing the praises of the Dark Lord of the Pit (Hail Satan) right about now. That's how muhc this rental company is pissing me off.

Oh, our little Dickeye is growing up.

See if there's a NOLA bookstore anywhere near you and grab everything they have on landlord/tenant relations. I'm not an expert and live on a completely different coast in a state with very different legal priorities, but this car bullshit sounds at the very least like something you can take the cost of out your next months rent. You weren't properly made aware of the parking restrictions for your building, nor was there any signage, and they made no effort to contact you.

One place I lived in, there was a massive wasps nest in the space between our ceiling and the roof, and they ate enough of the ceiling that a stray basketball broke through and flooded my roommates room with wasps. Said roommate was allergic to wasps, so he fled the apartment immediately while I had to spend a couple hours on the phone finding an exterminator, which isn't easy at 10 pm on a Saturday. Then I had to call the vet emergency, because my cat was trapped in there for an hour, thankfully he came out of it okay. I had to spend the night on the couch since there was a vent connecting my room and my room mates.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Beyond sane knolls posted:

See, I was one of those demented children who grew up watching Martin Short movies and loving them. A few ECT sessions fixed that up though.

But seriously, even disregarding the special effects, the perfectly 80s production design and the direction in general is awesome. Some pretty great visual gags in there, independent of special effects and, best of all, independent of Martin Short. I wish I could find some clips.

Whenever I come close to disliking Martin Short (or hell Chevy Chase or Steve Martin for that matter) I just remember how much I love Three Amigos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Slice o life: House shopping is fun. Building might be funner. If so need to get myself a magnificent theater.

Big Trouble in Little China will make me vote for Carpenter.

• Locked thread