Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FishBulb posted:

I've never been to a QA where anyone in the audience asked a question of value.

Q&As are where poo poo floats to the top because the people who get up to speak are the ones who can't self-censor their bad ideas. The worst one I saw was when someone tried to get Margaret Atwood to sign a petition supporting Maoism. Actually, no the worst one was when someone asked Alfred Hitchcock's daughter a rambling two minute question about whether Big Fish was supposed to be about her father, confusing absolutely everyone in the auditorium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Vargo posted:

GRAD SCHOOL DECISION UPDATE: They just sent me an e-mail announcing that Zizek will be lecturing there in the fall, and the director claims to have publishing ties at the New York Times and New Yorker.

Guys, there's a chance this school might actually be legit.

This would actually make the school seem less legit to me, actually. I mean, the school is probably legit as in they will take your money and you will get a degree at the end.

Žižek is notorious for hating teaching in any form besides talking for three hours straight, and actively tried to trick students in order to avoid interacting with them, and at that point you might as well watch him on YouTube

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I dunno why everyone is so down on Zizek's sociability. I've met him twice and if anything he's overly friendly, spouting off on long monologues about any topic you name. Both times his agent had to drag him away so he wouldn't be too late for his next appointment.

To be fair you don't really have a conversation with him, it's more that he excitedly yammers away at you.

I mean, he is an entertaining fellow, especially if you're well-versed in the academic jargon and theoretical frameworks he uses; he's an academic's academic. It's just that if you believe education should do anything like, say, incubate social change or improve people's lives, he's the apotheosis of the insular academic hermetically sealed off from the world whose work accomplishes none of that, only managing to shock-jock his way into some semblance of popular visibility because he theorizes on and uses pop culture examples.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, it hasn't even hit theaters here in the States yet and they've already got the home release artwork/packaging done? Or is that just a fan mockup?

Either way, yeah, that's pretty great. Jamie Foxx's Electro looks hilarious, and if that was on my shelf at home, I'd laugh at it every time I saw it.

I dunno if this is becoming more common, but I remember when I went to see The Dark Knight Rises there was a bundle option to buy a ticket and pre-order the DVD. It seemed incredibly stupid to me but I guess people are actually doing that?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I'm 2/2 in seeing movies where a particularly tall motherfucker is sitting right in front of me so that I have to shift a seat. It's kinda my fault, in that the theater I've done to has a bit shallower of row-to-row slope than most theaters, but it's still goddamned annoying.

I have to deal with this all the time and in those cases I learned to accept that there is 9-17% of the film that my brain will have to fill in through context clues because asking a stranger to switch seats would require me to go way outside my comfort zone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I am very sad about soccer

Was there a conversation about soccer movies here? Because the World Cup got me in the mood to watch some, but they all seem to be a) about hooligans, b) coming-of-age girls' stories (which are actually the best of the lot), or c) literal FIFA propaganda. I don't know if there are some other high quality films that I'm missing?

(And yes, I know about The Two Escobars)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Victory. Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, Max von Sydow and a bunch of football players.
Thanks for the suggestions, in hindsight looking to Latin America definitely makes sense. But I think the winner has to be Stallone and Pelé vs. the Nazis. Funny enough, that makes the third time this week I've read about Nazis and soccer, it's hard to picture them playing it but they must have

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

I didn't see the original request and I think that the original request is stupid and limiting.

I made it like that because I have seen Green Street and I was looking for films that gave insight into the sport itself and the people involved in it -- you know, like Hoop Dreams, He Got Game, Friday Night Lights, except about soccer. I know hooliganism is part of the "culture" but it's not the same

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I once fixed up an essay about knights and chivalry by my niece in which she claimed knights were invented because the vikings were a bunch of savage hooligans and people needed someone to uphold justice. She also used a youtube clip from Kenneth Branagh's Henry V as a source about a the battle of Agincourt. Let's just say I made a lot of changes on her behalf.

I'm reading this and hoping that your niece was in college at the time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How do you feel about The Unloved (2009)?

Edit: I have not seen Short Term 12 but I don't think I can take a film seriously if it has that rear end in a top hat from the Newsroom in it

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 7, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't that Weeds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Anybody here have a MUBI account? How's the streaming quality? Can I stream through my PS3?

I use it and the video quality is generally pretty good. For newer and higher-profile stuff they sometimes have 720p video, but it's usually DVD-quality at the very least. There is a dedicated PS3 app for it, actually, but I haven't used it myself. And actually just checking on it, that app isn't available in the US anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Noxville posted:

Theoretical question: let's say you'd started dating someone who had recently had an autobiography published. Do you get a copy and read it?

It would depend on whether they wrote it or it's an "As Told To" autobiography

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Incidentally, I really need to see both Jeanne Dielman and Born In Flames.

Jeanne Dielman is amazing and yeah, it's definitely one of those films that work so much better in the theater because of its length and attention to detail.

RandallODim posted:

This is why the Harvard Film Archive's screening of Dr. Mabuse The Gambler is a godsend, because I can't imagine myself watching a four and a half hour movie on my own without taking too many breaks to make it worth it. The fact that it has live music is pretty sweet too, though.

I honestly can't sit through most silent films on DVD because of the lovely public domain MIDI accompaniments you get, and in order to survive I usually replace the music with instrumental hip-hop mixtapes. Watching a silent film in the theater, though, with real live musicians who are working off what's happening on the screen, can be a transcendent experience.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hewlett posted:

Quick: what's a good palate cleanser for Antichrist? (full disclosure: still loved Antichrist but holy poo poo.)

My Wife is an Actress (2001). It's a husband-and-wife story with Charlotte Gainsbourg that, uh... doesn't end in the same way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

TwistedLadder posted:

I think I'd attend a Reagan's Policies Death Party (not a good band name) after we go back to some state of banking regulation, etc.

Yeah, a Reagan Death Party would mean celebrating the demise of an elderly man who couldn't even recognize his loved ones after a long battle with a degenerative disease, while multitudes of ideologues who perpetuate the policies he spearheaded now have even freer rein to craft a fictional mythos in support of those policies. Sounds like fun times.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Has there ever been a movie set in an animation studio?

Does anime count

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pet Rock Band posted:

I think Step Up: Revolution is a really good movie.

I love the Jon Chu Step Up films, so Revolution was kind of a letdown. It wasn't a competition film and it was like a parody of an 80s film that didn't know it was parody. Plus Peter Gallagher was wasted in the film and the obsession with "FLASH MOBS?!" was laughably dated even at release.

The best dance sequence is still from Step Up 2 The Streets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwKOSH1B7Oc

I will probably still see Step Up All In because I'm a sucker (also it looks like a Fast Five-esque supergroup film which is amazing, now they just need to bring Channing Tatum back)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 1, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

Or any loving house rule. If you play it straight then it should be over in 45 minutes.

No one I've ever played Monopoly with has known that you're supposed to auction unowned properties off if the player who landed on it doesn't want it. Like, it's literally one of the first things in the rulebook but no one ever plays that way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you are consciously trying to make something "deep", then you are most likely heading in the wrong direction. Also, people go to see abstract art films (even those far more "abstract" and "art" than the ones you mentioned) to feel too; they just produce different kinds of feelings. In general, I guess, read Three Uses of the Knife?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Listening to all the John Carpenter soundtracks, does it weird anyone else out that Adam Curtis uses them extensively?

Well, most of Adam Curtis's films are about the failures of technocratic rationalism and the illusionary ideological systems that keep ordinary people from realizing those failures, and The Trap is basically "The Thing is how everyone lives these days", so...

Anyway I dig most of Curtis's music choices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv_S8GdylEA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

What are some good movies about waiting for something?

Related slice of life: I'm getting coffee with said ex on Monday night to discuss what we're going to do, because according to her, she needs time to figure things out. This could mean either something very good, or the total implosion of my social life.

So that's fun.

Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I could have sworn the Catholic Church has an official list of recommended films, but I can't find it right now.

Yep, the Vatican has some decent taste. Or they just cribbed from They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?
http://web.archive.org/web/20131029191543/http://old.usccb.org/movies/vaticanfilms.shtml

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Vargo posted:

But now I'm on Season Three, and the show is pretty quickly becoming "Wealthy White Family Gets Everything They Want Every Week By Solving All Their Problems Through A Passionate Speech" and I am ready to give up on it. Is it like Friday Night Lights and I just have to slog through one season, or should I just quit while I'm ahead?

Yeah, the show is definitely no Friday Night Lights. As the series goes on there tends to be a reliance on three things: Sarah's goofy revolving door of relationships, Mae Whitman crying a lot, and everything papered over by the family banding together. The Kristina plots grow increasingly awkward with cancer in Season 4 and her running for mayor in Season 5. Also, special musical guests abound.

Considering his follow-up to this was About a Boy, I'm not sure Katims was the masterful storyteller we thought he was

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 9, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CPL593H posted:

The apple watch would be really cool if cellphones didn't exist.

Since cell phones became commonplace the only purposes a wristwatch can serve are to prevent you from dying while diving (nope) or as a gaudy status symbol to show off disposable wealth (bingo).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Checked out The Spy Who Loved Me as a symbolic pouring-of-one-out for Richard Kiel. Its progressiveness surprised me. You basically have a movie where opposite sides of the Cold War put aside their differences to fight privatization… which the film portrays as a vampiric entity that seeks out frontiers for exploitation and requires castration should it spin out of control.

I kind of hate that Bond girls never last for more than one movie. I like Anya Amasova's character and the idea of Bond having a Soviet equal and opposite. (I don't think Barbara Bach did a particularly above-average job, mind you, but I liked the character.) She has a level of agency that stands out in the series (it helps that she exposes Bond as a relic in the ways he underestimates her). The film unfortunately still makes a point of showing her as weaker than her English counterpart (and by extension, Russia as weaker than the west), but I still think "less sexism" constitutes a victory, however minor, in Bond-movie terms.

Between the portentous depiction of unregulated free trade, Russia's greater willingness (in the film) to provide women with opportunities for career advancement, and MI-6 converting ancient Egyptian locales for use as mobile headquarters, I feel like the film admits—to a small degree—to western imperialism and patriarchy. I find it surprisingly autocritical for a Bond film.

Yeah, I always found this film superior to the "The kids love Star Wars, let's remake the movie we just did -- in SPACE"of Moonraker. Though both films have the best opening stunts of the entire series

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Just watched the first episode of Gotham. So far, Donal Logue is making the show. Also, Ben McKenzie and Erin Richards look eerily like Russell Crowe and Nicole Kidman, and it's kind of a mindfuck seeing Michael Kostroff and John Doman play almost the opposite of their characters from The Wire.

I'm pretty skeptical of Gotham, though. It seems like the sheer pop cultural osmosis surrounding Batman will necessarily make it predictable. It also feels really hokey in the way it tries to act as both a gritty cop drama and a superhero movie. We know exactly what will become of Oswald Cobblepot, Edward Nygma, Ivy, Selina Kyle, and even the inept comedian we see for one scene. I was telling Vargo and BBS that this would probably work better as an original series, where the viewer wouldn't have that predictability.

Bruno Heller has played with stories of historical inevitability before, so hopefully if Rome is any indication he and his staff will lean on the interesting smaller scale (Gordon and Bullock in Gotham Central storylines) and all the wink-wink nudge-nudge stuff was to avoid getting their pilot guillotined by attention-deficit executives.

The flip-side of predictability is dramatic irony, after all. Although I have no idea how anyone could describe the second season of Hannibal as predictable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

It's not a doc, but I still think 24 Hour Party People is one of the best documents of a specific music scene. And just a drat good movie.

24HPP and Control (2007) make a great double feature.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Using "boring" as the main insult against Citizen Kane probably indicates a person who's never actually seen it or wasn't paying attention while doing so. Like, for a classical Hollywood film it basically moves at a Michael Bay pace

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

The failure of Citizen Kane is obvious

Just one of many factual errors on The Simpsons, like the alternate ending to Casablanca

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

The man can't even bring himself to eat a banana!

That scene was actually pretty brilliant, what with him immediately feeling unclean when "banana stuff" rubbed off on him when he touched it, the back and forth of trying to force it in his mouth, and finally he's only able to complete the task by stuffing the banana inside a burger.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Their coverage of Occupy, and especially the grotesque abuses of the NYPD was equally terrible and they sat on a major Bush scandal until after the 2004 election was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsiBl2CaDFg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I always thought Monopoly's shittiness was supposed to be an object lesson on the folly of rentier capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's a commentary on the dangers of not reading the loving rules

Even if you don't massively devalue the currency through Free Parking and auction the properties when you land on them like you're supposed to, the game still takes hours to get to two people trying to gently caress each other through random chance and manipulating the jail square while all the other players who got eliminated either sit around doing nothing or go somewhere else because who wants to watch two idiots roll dice for another hour

• Locked thread