Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Calling all coolguys who like to analyse films: Watch an anime with a relevant thread still going in ADTRW and apply actual critical analysis to it. The response is 100% hilarious and fun, people will defend shows they like will such baller opinions as 'it doesn't MEAN anything! This show is poo poo, and I eat it up!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

If Mulholland Drive was exactly the same, but instead of a two-hour movie it was six animated episodes of a show, ADTRW would insist the entire thing was an excuse for the lesbian sex scene towards the end and total garbage with no plot or meaning.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

My goodness, someone with a Disney's Marvel's Avengers character in his avatar doesn't like SMG. I wonder why...

I hope a detective out there can help me solve this mystery!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Is it really that bad? It's Pfister, so it at least looks good, right?

Right?!

e:
Depp is either high or totally winging it in this interview. Like holy poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHM7DZo3s5o

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

All my dreams used to end with me spilling something, and then someone notices the mess I made and murders me and I wake up. When I was a little younger I started killing myself to save time and avoid getting yelled at by dream-stepdad. Holy poo poo, I was always hosed up wasn't I

E: I'm gonna have to end a movie like that. Characters save the day, go home and drink some milk, but then one of them spills it. Someone else sees it and kills them. Fade to black.

No credits.

ten stars imdb

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

hey ladies come check out my big other if you know what i mean

I'm using this one. If I get any chicks I'll give you a cut

E: Just applied to do video production for a webhost. I'm totally psyched to finally start looking for work. I bet my cv and cover letter are both trash though.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 24, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

morestuff posted:

Shoot me a PM if you'd like someone to look at them.

Wow, I might just do that. Thanks mate!

First I'm gonna see if they get back to me. Well, first I'm going on a run. It's nice outside and people were talking about running earlier in the thread.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

ynohtna posted:

Adaption and Inception (screenwriting and film making). Detention (80s films).

Oh my god, Detention is spectacular. Everybody see it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I still can't get over how they talked for two fuckin' hours about RWBY.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

The Bob's Burgers one got me to watch the show tonight and I'm glad.

Huh! I just started that show recently too. Not as good as people told me it was, but still good and it's picking up later in the first season. I love the constant sudden dramatic zooms.

Also Gravity Falls is still the best. Kristen Schaal can't not be in good shows.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

If you forget to tally up the cost to your mortal soul, Django Unchained DOES cost more than the entire box set of Star Trek Voyager!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Speaking of samurai films, can you guys recommend me some? I've seen Yojimbo and Sanjuro and probably some others I've forgotten about. Ed: Oh, and Seven Samurai.

I could just sit down and watch all the Zatoichis, but that seems kind of overkill and I have no idea how good those actually are.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 24, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Also I've still not seen any of the OG Zatoichi movies but the Takeshi Kitano one is really good.

Yeah, it is. I feel kinda bad for seeing it first and none of the others.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You, me and Vargo. That's about it, I think.

John Carter owns. I'm trying to think of a moment I wasn't entertained or enjoying the story. FILM CRIT HULK tried to observe that Stanton 'should have' rehashed Finding Nemo with a few plot points, but I never really saw that.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Stanton wasn't up-and-coming. He's pushing fifty and directed all sorts of animated things. I actually think he's kind of a bad guy in a few ways - insisting on shooting JC on film, changing the name but being a whiny baby about it, saying making a movie for under five million dollars is unthinkable to him, etc. - but I like all his films.

It is kind of a shame he's gone back to drink from the font of Finding Nemo, though. I would have liked more John Carters.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

What's wrong with shooting on film again?

Ignoring the expense (and the fact it's his insistence I don't like, not film itself), his attitude to it was largely one of 'being like the big boys' and really just struck me as kind of childish.

Den of Geek Q&A posted:

Why did you shoot John Carter on film?

I shot on film just because I thought it wasn’t going to be around for long, and I wanted to know what it was like[...]As a film fan, I’d have hated to have finally gotten the chance to do something with a physical camera, and have no knowledge of what it was like for my heroes to use film[...]some of my favourite directors of photography are slowly being converted, and I’m sure I’ll be right there with them if I’m ever given another chance, but I just wanted to know what that felt like. It was the nostalgist in me that wanted to do that, and I have no regrets. It was fun.

Something about this reasoning, especially when you're running a big-budget film that's expensive enough as it is, annoys me a little. His 'decisions' to retrofit the film into 3D after the fact and also change the name were made purely by committee because 3D sells and Mars doesn't, so seeing this dual attitude of trying to appeal to people while also making the decision to use film mostly on a whim because he wanted to use it, kinda irks me. Again, I like the film and he's definitely very likable but it's kind of sloppy reasoning. This interview highlights my problems (and they are small problems!) with him best.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Hewlett posted:

What, you mean this?

PRECISELY!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Gareth Edwards got to make films living with his parents and working in a shop while learning 3d, right? Because given my most recent essay results that's starting to look like the most viable loving model for me right now.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I can't understand anyone thinking the 90s Marvel cartoons are any good as an adult. They looked like poo poo, they were written like poo poo, and the voice acting is subpar at best. I'm calling nostalgia on this one.

The Silver Surfer show is still a fantastic show but all the others don't really hold up all that well any more.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I am never posting in the star wars thread again. :toxx:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Reminder that Troma ended up with My Neighbor Totoro at one point.

How did this happen, and why did it stop?!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Day three of University being over: God drat. I'm never going to get a job. I haven't even heard back from any of the unpaid stuff I applied for. Part of me secretly thinks whenever I write a cover letter I spontaneously write peepee doodoo over and over without noticing it or something.

Criminal Minded posted:

I was just hit-and-run head-on by some clearly drunk rear end in a top hat driving down the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD on an eight-lane bridge with a median.

Everybody's okay and they caught the prick. Time to drink.

gently caress. Whereabouts was this?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

fruitpunch posted:

Some friends of mine have done a documentary, it looks really interesting, and will be narrated by Aiden Gillen. I know some of you guys love documentaries so I figured I would share it
http://vimeo.com/86239306

edit: just the trailer, that is

Looks really interesting. It almost doesn't need an external narrator - the people involved show their plight easily enough themselves.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

So...I just got an internship.

How is this possible?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

EXCEPT for Kanye West, which is possibly an excellent oversight or a completely intentional bit of genius.

Oh my god. I'm dying

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

Going through FriedPundit's YTOTD playlists on Youtube really shows off the great stuff we've collected, but sucks seeing how many disappear. Has anyone been keeping track of everything that goes in those so we know what was deleted? Youtube just says "Deleted Video."

edit: CineD blog idea - A review site dedicated to going through all this weird poo poo on Youtube and writing up proper reviews of each one. I'd contribute if anyone else is game.

I'm in.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Hoorah, the forums are back up just in time for me to announce I now have a useless degree I don't need!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I also got my useless degree a few days ago. Sitting through 1000+ people walking up on stage to shake hands and receive a document was pretty boring.

I can't wait for that. The results just came out today. I got a really bad mark in an essay that threatened to make my overall degree drop down a level (the person marking it didn't like M. Night Shyamalan) but apparently I made up for it elsewhere.

I feel kind of gipped. I thought I was supposed to spend months/years plagued with existential doubt and unemployment but I found a kickass internship (unpaid but I don't even care) and a thing for weekends within the first week of getting back home. Now all I need is to build experience / look into starting a company.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

therattle posted:

What's your internship?

Sculpting With Light. It's a really small company that mostly does stuff for Museums and Heritage. It's a good place to train and get that elusive 'experience', and some of the stuff they're working on is genuinely really cool. I'm not sure if I want to try an independent route for filmmaking or try to do things more traditionally yet, so this is a good place to bide my time and figure out what the hell I'm doing, and possibly how to do it too.

A lot of graduates out there are in a really lovely place, with talent but no experience - I think there's a lot of untapped stuff there. It would be cool to try and gather them in one place and form something entirely new but who knows.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

SMG is worse than the Slender Man. Slendy can only hurt me by startling me to death or getting me stabbed because of crazy people. SMG poisons your own mind. With thoughts. They corrupt you with strange new ideas that threaten to change you. And change is bad. That's like dying.

You have to put them on ignore to stop it. But the corruption has already spread too far. The only answer is to close your web browser and hope it's not too late to save yourself.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

We should start crossing over (crossovering?) movies using better formulae entirely.

GODZILLA PACIFIC RIM

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

The sooner we get this accepted in the parlance of cinemas, the sooner Dreamworks can team up with JJ Abrams and create STAR SHREK

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I was going through some old files, and I found a complete book I wrote a few years ago for a joke when I was going through a period of really bad insomnia. It's unsalvageable, although the people who've actually read it seem to have enjoyed it. Should I put it on Amazon?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Hats need to exist so bald men can hide their shame.

Only of you have a cover that implies it's about transforming into a manetee for sex or something.

The cover is minimalistic white-on-black THE KILLONATOR with fake quotes on the back. If I'm going to edit it, the one thing I would change is add two more quotes from someone who actually read it, claiming 'I would probably pay money for it' and 'It doesn't deserve to be saved in editing' (when I asked if I should edit it)

both quotes are from the same person in the same span of time. It's a very strange book that I simultaneously don't want on my record as a thing I wrote (largely because I don't want my mother somehow to read it) and a snapshot of a time and place in my writing that I kind of want out there somewhere, just as an experiment.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

This sounds like a book in the same vein as joshdig. Post it under a pen name if you must (I would suggest goon classic Cod Piecington) because I would love to read it.

Sure. I'm about to go to bed but I'll sort it out tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I've been using Harris Bomberguy as a pseudonym/character for a long time. The character fits the tone of the book too, in fact I wrote it around the time I first started using him. Positioning him as the author would be pretty funny. hm...

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Vermain posted:

Everyone please watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the premier space opera anime about the benefits and drawbacks of various political systems.

I don't have time to watch all ten-thousand episodes, mostly because I'm halfway through like eight shows I should've finished already but am lazy wrt to television.

Vermain have you seen Turn A Gundam

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Wait...CineD people also hang out in skype calls for hours on end talking about anime and other bullshit? I thought that was just me and like five other people.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[My skype is hbomberguy]

I'll watch LoGH soonish, then.

This was on facebook. I hang out in the Marvel Heroes mumble channel though.

The what

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Gotta ascend to that level where your jokes aren't funny anymore, they're so bitingly true that it's just depressing.

So like every third or fourth Onion article.

Comedy is really about overturning convention and questioning society. If you 'just' make people laugh so they can go back to cleaning the toilets on the Hindenburg you've achieved very little.

Conversely, even with a good comedian you need a good audience. Louis CK says a lot of pretty poignant and pointful stuff but a lot of people just hit the retweet button (post it on facebook, make image macros of his face, etc.) and move on with their lives stocking shelves at the Gap or whatever. Even the most depressing comedians are optimistic, even utopian - they believe that, if they can just get their point across to people enough, and the people are willing to respond, the world can be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

DNS posted:

There's never ever been a good comedian with this point of view.

Which comedians don't think they can make a difference at all, again?

• Locked thread