Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
As a past reader of the first version of this game, I am completely on board for this.

Due to life, the earliest I can get an official app in is Wednesday.

This is gonna be awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kumaton posted:

That's encouraging. I'll make a character once I read up on the system.

Yeah everything is done in 'dots' your attributes, skills, powers, and equipment are all ranked in dots (usually 1-5)
When something applies to a roll, you add all your dots together to make a dice pool.

Most dicepools are pretty common sense.

I want to punch a dude is Strength +Brawl +/- any modifiers
I want to shoot a dude is Dexterity + Firearms, etc.

Say you have Attribute at 3 and Skill at 2, that's 5 dice.

As for character sheets, I've always been a fan of dalines.net.

Also, there's a bunch of books for wod, but the only one you absolutely need is World of Darkness (the corebook) with the blue cover. (You can get a pdf super cheap off of Drivethru)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 13, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
That's also why I mention dalines. Therems a fine print "cheat sheet" for chargen at the bottom of each sheet (just like the book).

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm torn between a chinese spy (more industrial espionage than james bond poo poo) trying to steal cryo-sleep tech secrets, and a thrillseeker billionaire playboy douche who bribed his way onto the mission (with resources that likely won't exist once game starts)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fang Tao Li (Thomas Fang)

Past
Li (Western name Thomas) was born in Shanghai, the fourth son of a thirdwave industrialist, Fang Jie Gang. His elder brothers had always been groomed as the successors to their father's business empire, and Li was always left as the "understudy" at best. His only importance to his family being that he was there if anything happened to his brothers. As such he was "free" to pursue his hobbies and passions so long as they weren't too shameful.

Li was an unremarkable student, his only notable school experiences being a love of reading, especially mythology and epics. He devoured the Iliad, The Eddas, American folklore, and Superhero Comics alongside more traditional fare like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. After a short stint in University, he pursued extreme sports for a time, dabbled in acting in Beijing (often lampooned for his work by critics) his only memorable role was as Inspector Jian, Action Cop! a movie so bad that only the most dedicated Asian action film buff would even have heard of him, let alone recognize him.

After his short but disappointing acting career, Li retreated from public life, still pursuing the ultimate thrill, or at least trying to make a name for himself. His parents have died, his brothers have taken over the businesses, and left Li with a more than sizable inheritance and not much else, certainly no respect.

Several years back he read about the pioneering research being done at DynCorp, and saw an opportunity to put his mark on history in a way his parents could have been proud of, Li donated the majority of his inheritance, about $800 million, to help fund the corporation's Cryo-suspension project, on the condition that he would be given the opportunity to be one of the first human testers.

Present
Li has been living in the United States since then, keeping himself fit and trained (wouldn't want to be thought of as just the spoiled rich kid who bought his way into history).
He's aware of his rep, and takes pains to ensure that he's "just another guy" as much as possible, preferring not to talk about anything he's done that anyone might have heard of, he's just dedicated to seeing the test go off successfully.

if it's ok, I'm going to use his acting career as the reason for any "combat" training, doing boot camps for roles and such, he's not a soldier, but he's played one on TV and gotten paid for it, and guns are everywhere in film. :v:

Important Relationships:
Family
Fang Bin Zhao "Daniel Fang"
Chief Minister, Shanghai Industrial Conglomerate

Thomas' oldest brother. Daniel has taken over as disapproving father figure to Thomas since the death of their father, Daniel is the Patriarch of the Fang family, and he acts it, even though he is secretly envious of his youngest brother's freedoms, and is proud of his pioneering attempts with DynCorp. Unfortunately any conversations with Daniel inevitably turn into arguments because their personalities clash so hard. Thomas hasn't spoken to Daniel in about 5 years, but he sent an email just before the shuttle launched.

Fang Liu Gang "Mark Fang"
Chief Financial Officer, Silver Lung Investment firm

One of the top dogs at the closest thing China has to Goldman Sachs, Mark is a dour and serious man, more concerned with profit margins and numbers than most basic human interactions. He views people as either useful tools, or irrelevant distractions, his family is no different. (ST NOTE: Imagine Ebeneezer Scrooge as a middle aged Chinese man, and you won't be far off)

Fang Liao "Charles Fang"
Occupation Unknown, Location Unknown

Charles was always spiritual, always seemed to go against the grain. As a child he would spin incredible stories about the spirits of the family's ancestors wandering the halls of their home. It was all utter bullshit (of course). Charles left the family behind years ago, occasionally father would hire an investigator to find him and make sure he was alive, but any contact was often rebuffed as Charles moved from one seeming cult to another. Right up until his death father forbid any mention of Charles. If the Cryo test is successful, Thomas plans to try and find Charles and try to reconnect with him.

Others
Thomas does not have many friends, he's personable and likeable in social situations, but never seems to make many deep connections. As such, he considers his closest "friends" to be his crewmates and coworkers on the test project
(will happily flesh out who/what over PM or in here, if I get picked for the game!)

CHARACTER SHEET HERE
XP SPENT: 59/60 (1 left)
Resolve from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Stamina from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Composure from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Drive 1 (3xp)
Survival 1 (3xp)
Weaponry 2 (6xp)
Fame 1 (2xp)

STATBLOCK
pre:
Health
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower
[ ][ ][ ][ ]
Init Mod: +7   Defense: 3   Armor: 0
Attack (bare hands) 5 dice 

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 16, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hipster Occultist posted:

I'm more of a scientist but I can do some Doctorin' if need be.

From reading your background, I got the feeling you pretty much were a doctor, a little rusty maybe after years in a lab, but perfectly capable.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, posting to say I'm still down for this. I'm ok with Tom's stats, but am more than happy to swap things around if needed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Woah and I guess Tom is a lot like the old game's wealthy extreme sports star.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mugrim posted:

There's No Place Like Home Final Selection:

Error 404, Hipster Occultist, Sociopastry, Pinechild, Mustache Ride

Feel free to ask any questions here. OP will begin either Friday or Saturday.

Wooo! Awesome, glad to be chosen.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So, should we be establishing basic impressions now?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Impressions/Relationships with the team
Dr. Marcus Kincaid
'Doc' and I have gotten to know each other well since the project started. I often join him on his nature hikes as a way to get outside and maintain fitness, it gives us the chance to debate, argue, and just talk. I've learned a lot about american 'culture' and folklore that I would never have guessed.

Dr. Wren Meadows
She is a brilliant scientist and doctor, but she often reminds me of my elder brothers, which makes getting to know her outside of work difficult and awkward.
I get the feeling she's more ruthless than the front she puts up.

Nicholas Copland
Mr. Copland is very talented, but he and I do not often interact.

Raige Riguez
Raige is an excellent pilot, he's loud and brash, but seems like an ok guy.
He's a good guy to grab a beer with.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mustache Ride posted:

Its kind of hard impossible to do a water landing in Atlanta.

:v:

Welp. I suck.

What about reverse it and try DC then Atlanta?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
True, but there's plenty of IC reason to try DC, and no doubt Mugrim's got tricks for if we stray too close to what the old game did.

But hey, you're the pilot for a reason dude. :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm down with DC, I just wanted everyone to have a chance to speak up on it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mugrim posted:

This is gonna be fun.

Your words inspire excitement and anxiety!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Oh yeah before I forget, here's the gear we have so far, I plan on adding mine to my first post/sheet in the game thread to keep track.

So first up here's the contents of the emergency supplies from the comms room of the ship:
Emergency Supplies: 200 feet of high stress contracting rope, 20'x1' foot of 'perfect seal' tape, 25,000 calorie bar, Water purification tablets for 100 gallons, 5 utility knives, wireless compact screwdriver, welding paste

So splitting that into Individual Kits:
Utility Knife
20 Water purifying tablets
X Ration Bars

And then here's the separate supplies, whoever wants to carry some of these should claim them!

200 foot super rope
Wireless screwdriver
Welding paste
roll of perfect seal tape.
Map of the country with spots marked out
bottle of whiskey

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 3, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, as I understand our only options are:

Drive out that one way, which could leave us open to being blindsided and attacked.

Walk out through a patch of woods? But we would have to abandon the van, and who knows what else is in there?

My vote is Drive out, but be ready for poo poo to go down.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mugrim posted:

Sorry about that, life and all.

It's totally ok, it happens.

Also happy mothers day to everyone!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Also, I'm doing Mother's day stuff. will try to get a post in tonight!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm gonna live forever. :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ohfuckohfuckohshitohfuckohfuck :ohdear:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mugrim posted:

Brian said that. He ended his own life without GM intervention.

I remember. Brian didn't have a :krad: sword.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Did we lose Sociopastry and Pinechild? :saddowns:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pinechild posted:

I kind of thought it would be awkward to wander back into scene after, like, two months of radio silence, sorry. Things got really busy at work and in my personal life, and now that it's quieted down again, there never seemed to be a good opportunity to jump in.

If you guys are okay with saying that Nick's been quietly freaking out in a corner or whatever, I can definitely start posting again. I really liked this game, but it's up to you guys since you're the ones who have been carrying the plot.

hey man, it's all cool!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I just assume that pauses are gonna happen, and I'm not going anywhere, even if we have a month between posts or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Bumpin

• Locked thread