Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Tomorrow I should be able to post a sheet and background for a composer who's being bankrolled by the New York Philharmonic in order to write a new symphony about space travel; just wanted to show interest while I work everything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas Copland

Character Sheet

So, how does a redneck kid from the middle-of-nowhere Wyoming get to outer space?

Practice, practice, practice.

Nick spent the majority of his childhood helping his parents out with the cattle ranch, raiding the Internet for every interesting piece of music he could get his little hands on, and routinely getting seven shades of crap kicked out of him by his schoolmates for playing the viola. While his parents were supportive, they eventually decided that teaching the kid how to fight back might make a better deterrent than ignoring the bullies, and subsequently got a family friend to teach him the basics of hitting back. Nick discovered that he actually really liked boxing--the motion-without-thinking aspect was pretty great for letting him work things out in his head uninterrupted--and eventually got good enough to get a college scholarship to the University of Michigan to pursue his one true love: music.

After graduation, he moved to New York seeking fame, fortune, and paying composition gigs; after many, many years of waiting tables, he finally got it. In the world of modern orchestral music, he's reasonably well known as a good composer who loves embracing new ideas and technologies. (In the world of massive scifi geeks, he's rather less well known for doing the scores for Robocop 4 and Life in an Age of Starlight. The scores, sadly, were a lot better than the movies.) He has a working relationship with several of the top American orchestras, including the New York Philharmonic, which received an anonymous donation earmarked towards sending him on the Mars Noden 2 in order to get inspiration for a symphony celebrating the new age of space travel it represents. He was incredibly excited to receive the opportunity to do this (and he's already got some great ideas!), but a year is a long time to be away from his family, and he's anxious to get home.

Important relationships:
Alex Morales: His wife, his partner, and the love of his life. They actually met at the boxing gym--she's a public defender with a lot of rage against the system to work out. They live together in a small apartment in a middle-class neighborhood in New Jersey, close to the City.
Richard and Maria Copland: His parents. They're still on good terms, although he doesn't see them as often as he probably should. They still live out in Nowhere, Wyoming, although his younger sister Becky and her husband have largely taken over the running of the ranch. Maria was diagnosed with lung cancer two years ago, and was in very poor health at the time the Noden 2 left (Nick almost backed out, but she "wasn't too sick to whoop his rear end" if he didn't get on the shuttle). He's pretty much braced himself for news of her death at any time.
Miss Maggie May: His tabby cat, and subject of 90% of his twitter postings.

(I have never done experienced character generation before, so please let me know if anything looks odd or I should change something to make it work better.)

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
I'm still in for this; tweaked my social skills a little as suggested but no difference in the amount of XP spent. Looking forward to starting!

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
I kind of thought it would be awkward to wander back into scene after, like, two months of radio silence, sorry. Things got really busy at work and in my personal life, and now that it's quieted down again, there never seemed to be a good opportunity to jump in.

If you guys are okay with saying that Nick's been quietly freaking out in a corner or whatever, I can definitely start posting again. I really liked this game, but it's up to you guys since you're the ones who have been carrying the plot.

• Locked thread