Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

origami posted:

Nah it was some drunken bet against a college wrestler and he was wearing dress shoes. I can't remember the details.

I believe Coleman told him he'd give him $10k if he could take him down. The college kid couldn't. Coleman was in dress shoes and didn't have the money to pay if he had lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Those knees were close as poo poo, but didn't the UFC recently change the rules about them where the refs now have more leeway when a dude is balancing one hand on the mat to bait illegal knees?

The UFC doesn't set the rules. They follow the unified rules that are set by the various athletic commissions. I know a number of refs, though, like Big John don't give a drat if you have a finger down if you're just gaming the system. It would have been wonderful if JBJ had got hit by that kick from Vitor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Whenever he loses he's going to unleash the carnivale of excuses isn't he

I hope so bad glover puts him out tonight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eh, that only gets 3/5 stars. Not bad, but not your best work. Please seem me after class.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BJ sees each and every one of these fighters as his lesser and for 90% he's probably right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mazz is the loving worst. That was loving looney.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't think any of his elbows that Mazz was bitching about were illegal outside of the ones that might have hit the back of the head. He wasn't warning for that, though. He was saying some bullshit about the angle, which looked fine to me. The elbows to the ear were the exact same ones Travis Browne used to knock out Barnett.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I honestly think the judges weren't completely terrible. They gave 1 to Zapata and 2 to Stephens. Round 3 would have been Zapata as well if Mazzagatti hadn't stopped the fight.

In the end the one that was bad was whoever scored 3 for Stephens and then said Zapata won.

outy posted:

Well it's all about intent and negligence. If you are throwing lazy jabs with an open hand, you are risking an eye-poke but not necessarily trying to poke out an eye intentionally. So you get warned that your behaviour needs adjusting. Continuing to throw those lazy jabs now constitute an intentional foul, so points can be taken. You are committing the same action, but due to the warning the consequences change.

It's not comparable situations. Zapata's elbows outside of some possible back to the head in round 1 were 100% legal. This is just Mazz being a lovely ref.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I thought the judging in the fight wasn't the terrible part. Mazzagatti was the horrible one. I mean, round 1 Zapata did all the damage even if he got wrestled a little. No problem giving him the round. Round two, Ian won via lead blanket. Because of the draw, the third round is sudden victory. The first half of the round, Zapata is teeing off on the gassed wrestler. Midway we get the "illegal" elbow, and then another two and a half minutes of lead blanket without actually doing anything. I could see a judge giving the edge in the round to either fighter. Zapata got the nod on two scorecards causing a draw. Can't have a draw, so they just have to pick the winner. I think the judges picked correctly, and I can't fault their scoring.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nibbles141 posted:

It depends on how you view the rules I guess as by giving him the victory they essentially ignored the foul. Although since they did it I guess they're perfectly entitled to do so?

They didn't ignore the foul. It's what caused the draw forcing them to choose. From the way I understand it, the last round is all that counts at the sudden victory. When that was tied, they weren't asked who they thought won that round. They were asked to pick who they thought won the fight as a whole independent of scorecards.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They had to have been asked who they thought won the fight as a whole and not just the last round. All three judges gave the fight to Zapata, but one of the judges did not give the 3rd round to him. There are two possible explanations in my mind: they were told to pick the winner of the entire fight OR the third judge didn't give the last round to Zapata on the scorecards because of the foul despite feeling that he won. There's no real good way to explain the inconsistency of that decision otherwise. Why else would one person change their mind about a round in a matter of 30 seconds? Occam's razor would lead to the former.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

At least one of them was consistent throughout. I still place the blame firmly on Mazzagatti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've got however many episodes since the Mazzagatti fuckup on my DVR unwatched because I just can't find it in me to care about this season.

• Locked thread