Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"Yay there's a Faking It thread!"

"Oh, it's less than a page long"

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Did they really just do the 'lesbian sleeps with a man' thing? Ugh.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

Mmm, yeah, that's an issue. I'm looking at it through character: she was drunk, heartbroken, and -- I'm arguing from a place of natural ignorance, so I realize I could be WAY off base here -- she just doesn't know enough about herself to say "Nope, this won't work at all." Yeah, she kissed that guy a few episodes back and decided that guys really weren't her thing. However, she hasn't been with any girls either: she tried going on a date with one and realized that she's too hung up on Karma to really SEE anyone else. Meanwhile, at this point there are only ten functioning brain cells between Liam and Amy, and they all want to focus on something other than "Karma's a bitch."

If Amy started the show knowing that she was gay, I'd be more inclined to call bullshit. But she's inexperienced and vulnerable enough that I wouldn't automatically see this as a betrayal of principle and character.

Again though, I do see the problem now that it's pointed out, and it'd be nice to see this addressed next year.

I agree that when compared to every other 'lesbian screws a guy' storyline out there this one comes out looking pretty logical and it's something I can relate to real life. But it's just... did they really have to go there? It would be really nice if just once if television could show a lesbian who didn't. It's this kind of thing that makes people latch onto Cosima/Delphine from Orphan Black as a positive girl/girl relationship.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just got to Lauren's intersex reveal. That was stunningly well done. This show deserves more attention.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

Did I get that right?

Don't quote me on this but I believe intersex means having XXY chromosomes, which is the cause of the other factors. And we have no way of knowing that Lauren was initially treated as female by her doctors/family. She may have initially been brought up as a boy and transitioned to a girl later.

It's really great that they took a villainous stereotype and instantly turned her into a 3-dimensional character deserving of empathy and compassion without taking away the bad aspects of her character. Also the song that kicked in ruled.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rapeface posted:

BTW is there a word or phrase for what happens when there's a secret that threatens to come out social setting resulting in awkwardness in a group? Something like 'farce' or 'comedy of errors' or something like that.

From now on we'll call it a grouphang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo Xander Harris! :neckbeard:

• Locked thread