Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesspater
Feb 13, 2013
I am wondering what the community feels about knitting in professional meetings? Do you ask people if it will be a distraction and if they prefer not to? Do you quietly do it until someone says they would like you to stop? I find that knitting helps channel my anxious energy/ADD and actually allows me to focus better on the task at hand, but I could see how some people who don't participate in these types of activities wouldn't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Just an opinion but this would come off as incredibly rude to me. There was one woman that used to doodle throughout our long meetings. They were long meetings because we were trying to get poo poo done, so let's just get the poo poo done and then you can doodle or knit or stand on your head after that

*Edit*

I am one of the people that doesn't get it that you mentioned in your post

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I'm one of those people who can't sit still in meetings. I typically take a pen, small screwdriver, my knife, etc in there with me and keep turning it over in my hands or dis/reassembling it to that my hands stay busy. Knitting seems completely over the top and I would probably be annoyed if someone was doing it in my meeting. In the end however, you are going to be the best judge of your work enviroment and you should probably find out what your co-workers think since it would be their/your time being wasted. Never do this is customers are involved.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I knit and crochet and sew and all that poo poo. It doesn't matter. You are projecting an image of being disinterested at best, and more likely will be seen as a nutbag. Some people like to pick their noses while they zone out at the end of the day, but you don't do that in a professional meeting either.

If you work for a huge yarn conglomerate maybe ymmv but I doubt it. Work time is not hobby time.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
I admit I take my crochet to fuss with before long, mandatory meetings, however it's while I'm still off the clock and waiting for poo poo to get started. Our meetings take place an hour or better after regular work hours so I don't see the problem with it then. When it's almost time to get the meeting going then it's time to put it away. Sure it might be preferable than listening to a long, pointless drone of crap you've heard every couple months for the last 10 years but I imagine the bosses wouldn't be pleased to have you doing it.

• Locked thread