Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

coelomate posted:

Ok fair... but modern battle.net has to be better than whatever anti-botting D2 currently has, right?
nope, worse in some ways because they don't really care

If you want no botting there are pservers where it's not allowed and they have gms who actually even join random games.

I'm not sure what will happen with community servers when d2r comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Khorne posted:

nope, worse in some ways because they don't really care

If you want no botting there are pservers where it's not allowed and they have gms who actually even join random games.

I'm not sure what will happen with community servers when d2r comes out.

I think there was a d3 ban wave last summer. Feels like I remember seeing one every few seasons so like once a year. Not sure if they just boot that account off the season leaderboards or lock it. D3 botting is about paragon points and stat inflation though and not farming a zombie bro for his stuff.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
As someone who’s botted D2 since forever ago, D3 botting? Now that’s just sad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Laslow posted:

D3? Now that’s just sad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't like anything. Liking things is a sign of weakness.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Laslow posted:

As someone who’s botted D2 since forever ago, D3 botting? Now that’s just sad.
Hey now, the Auction House was a glorious, happy time for it, 2B's, $500 in an hour, Blizzard didn't care, You get an avatar. You get an avatar. You get an avatar. /oprahmeme That was peak Diablo 3 for me.

This video (by Alpha Investments) always put a big grin on my face, worth watching just for remembering the (good) old days.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I was talking more of the current D3. Free money is always cool and good.

D3 itself is pretty good too, particularly for local multiplayer.

D2 botting is fun because you can hand out statistically impossible to find items to random people and watch them freak out. :3:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

This thread inspired me to write a single player Pindleskin bot. I'm torn between making it as good as possible, and leaving it janky so it doesn't totally ruin the fun of finding items.

gently caress this game is good.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

coelomate posted:

This thread inspired me to write a single player Pindleskin bot. I'm torn between making it as good as possible, and leaving it janky so it doesn't totally ruin the fun of finding items.

gently caress this game is good.

I don't understand. If you're willing to bot in a single player game, why not just use a trainer to give you whatever you want?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It's more about the fun in writing a bot

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So you don't like playing d2 you just like programming

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

So you don't like playing d2 you just like programming

It's more problem solving imo

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I already feel a little bit self-defeating thinking back when I used to play in 2002 or whatever as a loser teen who could just play all day and night and I never got poo poo then. What kinda fuckin gimp am I gonna be now when I can only get a couple hours in here and there?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Running a bot feels a lot like playing an idle game.

Using item editor feels a lot like using Excel.

I've only ever really botted in Asheron's Call (where it was the norm) and it was a lot of fun!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

codo27 posted:

I already feel a little bit self-defeating thinking back when I used to play in 2002 or whatever as a loser teen who could just play all day and night and I never got poo poo then. What kinda fuckin gimp am I gonna be now when I can only get a couple hours in here and there?

In the next twenty years you will find one Gul rune and nothing else of note.

My preliminary D2: Resurrection wish list 🥺:

-Ability to rotate items 45° so as to fit grand charms in the top/bottom row.

-Overhead view for PVP so I don't get killed in the crossfire.

-Triple digit clvl characters.

-Fix Claw Viper stack damage bug.

-Free bot so that I can find a Ber rune.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Cerepol posted:

It's more problem solving imo

Yep, just another set of fun things to optimize. And single player is a harmless playground.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Only unconfirmed things i'm hoping for from d2r is for them to fix the weirdness with pally attacks (eg zeal getting stuck whiffing because the first swing was too far) and the amazon animation bugs. beyond that gimme the same lod i've been playing for half my life

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just a heads up that the Path of Diablo mod is having its server reset today.

One of the main new additions is a rune/gem storage page in the stash:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Name a game that has infinite inventory thats been worse off for it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vakal posted:

Any of these mods worth dropping a :20bux: on digital copy? I did eastern sun back when it was a thing.

My original D2 disks have been lost to time. Or likely still at my college fraternity spreading the joys of diablo 2 a decade and a half later.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mustached Demon posted:

Any of these mods worth dropping a :20bux: on digital copy? I did eastern sun back when it was a thing.

My original D2 disks have been lost to time. Or likely still at my college fraternity spreading the joys of diablo 2 a decade and a half later.

If you ever registered the game on the battle.net webzone, it should still be there on your account to download.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
or even if you just have the key floating around somewhere to register it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vakal posted:

based poe crib

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

I think so, but like the others said check if you have the keys already registered to your Bnet account. Ladder fresh is always fun, it just depends on what you're looking for:

Slashdiablo is solid if you just want d2 gameplay, but with QoL changes and no dupes/bots, bit of a smaller but very nice community. Their ladder resets March 12.

Project Diablo2 is also resetting on March 12 and has some QoL changes, but adds a few new skills, rebalancing items & skills, item corruptions and a few end game maps. Probably the most popular mod right now and season 2 should be fun with the d2r hype. It has kind of replaced Path of Diablo as the go to mod (PoD is pretty similar and just had their ladder reset yesterday)

MedianXL is still around and has a few thousand players on reset if you're looking for a total rework/conversion.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

THE BAR posted:

If you ever registered the game on the battle.net webzone, it should still be there on your account to download.

Thank you! I checked my transaction history and found I already gave them $20 like a decade ago.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
A friend of mine streamed Diablo and Diablo 2 a month or so ago and I was inspired to pick the game up again for the first time since I was a kid, I have to say I'm absolutely loving it and I've been playing every day ever since. I never got further than act 3 normal as a kid but now I've got a zealot in act 1 of Hell (boy is that a slog) and I'm taking bit of a break from him for a bit and I'm currently playing as a strafe Bowazon (Level 27, just hit Act 4 normal).

I don't know if it's because she's turbo powered from all the hand me down gear and whatnot but I'm absolutely loving the playstyle. I used a health potion for the first time today fighting Mephisto. She has such a ridiculous amount of lifeleech (16% at one point but currently 10%) that I find I don't even need to dodge spells and the such; but I'm practicing using slow missile and avoiding spells because I know that will likely change when I hit higher difficulties.

Most of the guides I can find on Bowazons seem really out of date (many written in 1.09) but I think I've more or less cobbled together a plan for build and gear (Note I'm playing single player with PlugY, no desire to ever play multiplayer; so I've enabled the ladder only runewords and items and events and stuff but from what I gather high runes are insanely rare and I'm not likely to ever see one)

So in any event, this is how things stand at the moment at level 27:

Zephyr in a reflex bow
Stealth in light plate
Lore in a Grim Helm
Sigon's wrap belt
Sigon's sabot Boots
10% IAS heavy Bracers
Manald Heal ring
another rare ring and a rare amulet for misc bonuses (some stats, some attack rating, a decent chunk of magic find)

And my plans for the future:

I have an edge runeword in an ashwood bow that I'm going to switch to when I hit level 29, then later on I'll aim to make a Harmony. I have a skin of the Vipermagi to equip as well as soon as I hit 29 as well; and I'll make a Treachery later on.

Not sure what to do about my helm - I guess keep the lore unless I find a great unique. Dream would obviously be amazing but that isn't likely to happen in a single player game.

I have an infernostride to switch to soon as well, and at that point I'll also need a new belt since I'd be breaking the set bonus - my plan is to take a shot at using my imbue.

All in all though I'm not 100% sure what sort of things to focus on with my other bits and pieces of gear. I had Clegclaw's pincers for a while and I really liked the knockback effect, so I kinda want to find a way to reintroduce that. I know increased attack speed and % damage increases are very important.

I'm not sure how hard I need to go on resists - I learned with my Paladin that you really, really, want max resists at all times once you hit nightmare and beyond, but I don't know if it carries the same importance with an amazon since you can stay out of the line of fire much of the time - I think it would be a struggle to hit the cap without a shield? Is this something I need to go super hard on? I'm not doing what I read about some players doing, where they keep Vitality at minimum - I want a comfy margin there.

I'm also not sure about my mercenary - I see that the default pick is an act 2 merc with might aura; which makes sense, but it got me to thinking, since I'm never going to be able to find the runes for the really good endgame merc polearms (insight is readily doable but I think once I have around +4 mana on kill along with some leech I won't need it?); would it make sense to use an Act 5 merc with a lawbringer? I don't know how to assess the raw damage increase of the aura vs the benefit of the decrepify on the lawbringer, and from what I've seen of hell with my paladin stripping immunities from undead at least seems super useful.

Also, is Inner sight something people actually invest points in and use? Guided arrow always hits, and with strafe I don't feel like I'm having attack rating issues like I frequently was with my paladin and If I was I'd put more points in Penetrate. It always seems so awkward to switch to it and back, and the radius of the effect is so low; I invariably either forget to use it or only use it for the lighting effect which is much less relevant now that I'm using strafe and guided arrow.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I don’t know where you’re reading that you should keep Vitality at a minimum. It’s normally your dump stat, with dex and strength at just enough for gear. I don’t know what you should have your energy at, I always used insight on my merc which kinda negates the need for energy. My merc is usually A2 Nightmare DEFENSIVE, in fact, instead of might.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Laslow posted:

I don’t know where you’re reading that you should keep Vitality at a minimum. It’s normally your dump stat, with dex and strength at just enough for gear. I don’t know what you should have your energy at, I always used insight on my merc which kinda negates the need for energy. My merc is usually A2 Nightmare DEFENSIVE, in fact, instead of might.

Diablo 2 wiki page for bowazons, and the various gamefaqs guides. From what I've gathered some bowazons go full glass cannon and keep vitality at base + whatever extra they get from gear; some take it to around 100; some use it as a dump stat (with the implication that using vit as a dump stat is more of a PVP thing).

Your bowazon doesn't have issues with lack of damage or attack rating with the lower dex and defensive merc?

I'll see about insight, it's not a problem to make but I feel like once I have +4-6 mana on kill I'll get back more than I spend on each strafe.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Ah, ok. I’ve really only used lightning/javelins mostly and also the gear I used is absurd. I think the survivability stuff for me is skewed high for uber/organ hunting.

Go ahead and stick with what you’re doing, but if staying alive takes too much effort, try my approach. Especially if you don’t have the mana regen to stop having to chug potions, then look into that insight. It really might not be necessary for bows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Laslow posted:

Ah, ok. I’ve really only used lightning/javelins mostly and also the gear I used is absurd. I think the survivability stuff for me is skewed high for uber/organ hunting.

Go ahead and stick with what you’re doing, but if staying alive takes too much effort, try my approach. Especially if you don’t have the mana regen to stop having to chug potions, then look into that insight. It really might not be necessary for bows.

I'm playing single player, albeit with plugY to enable ladder content and shared stashes; so I'll never have absurd gear. So far I'm at level 27 and I have 50 Vitality and the only time I've had to use a health potion was fighting mephisto; but I think that will change come higher difficulties. I can always respec I guess.

Strafe costs a flat 11 mana; and fires 10 arrows each of which can proc mana leech and mana on kill; so I figure even with a conservative estimate of 3 enemies killed per strafe you'll get back 12 mana for 11 spent if you have +4 mana on kill.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

A "dump stat" normally means the one you eschew to boost something else. You meant to say that Vitality is the one you normally throw every spare point into, right?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah I thought Energy was the dump stat for, like, 90% of all builds across all classes

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sorry, I always thought 'dump stat' was where you dumped all your left over points after you put what you needed elsewhere.

So to be clear with regards to my Bowazon:

Some people leave vitality at minimum and max out dex, some take it to around 100 and put the rest in dex, some put the minimum needed in dex and put the rest in vitality. I'm leaning towards going down the middle route. I don't think my bowazon needs any points in energy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's very common that nobody ever put points in Energy at all

it's also common practice to go
* just enough STR to wear whatever equipment you expect to have
* just enough DEX to wear whatever equipment you expect to have (or just enough DEX for 75% block, for shield-using builds)
* VIT to everything else

following this plan strictly generally expects that you have some idea of what your "endgame" outfit is going to be. I imagine most people who don't pre-plan to that extent end up with a lot more STR / DEX than they otherwise could have, while still putting in lots of points into VIT. It's also a "convenience" thing to be able to wear all of your equipment without needing STR / DEX boosts to put it on in terms of recovering your body after a death.

this isn't necessarily a PvP thing either: having lots of points in VIT helps you survive even when fighting monsters as a single-player

if you're using PlugY, then of course you have the option of reallocating your points at any time, though it's understandable if you don't want to do this from a purist perspective

there are also special builds that go "only enough STR to wear equipment, then everything into DEX", or vice-versa, in order to maximize damage

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's very common that nobody ever put points in Energy at all

it's also common practice to go
* just enough STR to wear whatever equipment you expect to have
* just enough DEX to wear whatever equipment you expect to have (or just enough DEX for 75% block, for shield-using builds)
* VIT to everything else

following this plan strictly generally expects that you have some idea of what your "endgame" outfit is going to be. I imagine most people who don't pre-plan to that extent end up with a lot more STR / DEX than they otherwise could have, while still putting in lots of points into VIT. It's also a "convenience" thing to be able to wear all of your equipment without needing STR / DEX boosts to put it on in terms of recovering your body after a death.

this isn't necessarily a PvP thing either: having lots of points in VIT helps you survive even when fighting monsters as a single-player

if you're using PlugY, then of course you have the option of reallocating your points at any time, though it's understandable if you don't want to do this from a purist perspective

there are also special builds that go "only enough STR to wear equipment, then everything into DEX", or vice-versa, in order to maximize damage

I mean planning my gear is certainly something I've done, at least as far as runewords that don't need high runes go - obviously in single player I can't plan around finding a specific unique. But I found on my Paladin at least that attack rating was a massive, massive problem and I was having to put more and more points into dex to keep it at a reasonable level (what % to hit rating is good enough? am I supposed to be trying to keep it at 95%?) And so I figured since a bowazon uses dex for both damage and attack rating it was safe to go pretty hard on it; but at the same time I think I'd be more vulnerable in single player than I would be in a group. Like you said, it's something I can always change if need be.

My bigger questions run along the lines of things like to I still need to keep resists at max as a bowazon; and will the elemental damage from a Harmony be enough to deal with physical immunes so I don't need to spend points on elemental arrow attacks (which seem wasteful)

and my bigger question of Act 5 merc with lawbringer vs the extra damage from an Act 2 might merc.

When I played through with my Holy Shock/zeal paladin I felt like I was staying ahead of the damage curve, at least until I ran head first into a brick wall when I hit Hell difficulty and I had to switch to Vengeance which was not nearly as fun. I found a civerbs cudgel relatively early and between that and putting points into holy shock each level my damage grew fast. With the bowazon I'm finding there are fewer weapons to move between - I've been using zephyr since level 21 and although it was mowing stuff down at first now in act 4 I'm really noticing how much more of a slog it is to kill stuff, so I'm going to grind to 29 before I fight diablo so I can equip my Edge rune word bow/infernostride/skin of the vipermagi.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In no particular order:

* you should not really be chasing after 95% chance to hit - something like 9000 AR will let you hit Hell Ball 70% of the time as a level 85 character. It's my understanding that characters that want/need to get AR this high aim for specific items just as the Angelic Ring or Metalgrid or "Sharp" charms

* in Nightmare difficulty, Bloody Foothills has an area level of 58, and the whole Worldstone Keep has an area level of 65. Since you can keep gaining full XP from an area as long as you're within 5 levels of it (and even a 6-level difference still gives you 81% of the regular XP you might have earned), you can stay in Nightmare until at least character level 63, and until character level 70 at most. I say this because it can feel like it's possible to finish Nightmare somewhat sooner than that, but then you get to Hell and there's a huge difficulty spike, but besides needing good equipment, a lot of it is also staying in NM and just grinding until 70 to get the most out of your stat and skill points

* more generally Hell is really just this thing that you have to play on players 1 unless you're awash in the kinds of uniques and runewords that you wouldn't necessarily have access to in single-player outside of modding or botting. NM is easy enough to beat just doing whatever and making intelligent skill choices, but just the hump of "what do I do when a monster is immune to my one primary attack?" is not easy to answer. Like you said, a Paladin might have access to Vengeance, but even that isn't a great solution because it either sucks up a ton of mana if you "spec" into it, or it deals very little damage if you only have a single point invested into it... but you can at least make the latter less painful if you're only on players 1

* and that applies to something like "just use Harmony to get around a Physical Immune". Back-of-the-napkin math: A Wraith in Act 2 Arcane Sanctuary is 100% physical immune, 50% fire resistant, 60% lightning resistant, and has about 3,000 HP in Hell difficulty. Your Harmony's mods just by themselves would be hitting for 53 fire, 43 lightning and 107 cold damage on average. Dividing 3,000 HP by 203 damage per shot gives ~14 shots to a kill. That's not too bad, and you'd likely have some additional damage from other sources even if you don't use one of your elemental arrow skills, but adding just one player then makes it take 21 shots to kill, and it gets increasingly more tedious after that

* I think an Act 5 merc should be fine - if you have a Lawbringer, go ahead and let him use it, but mind that it's not going to break as many immunities as you think it might

for the rest of it, you seem to be getting the swing of things where you can tell when stuff is taking too long to kill and are grinding appropriately to enable better gear, so I think you're on the right track

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

In no particular order:

* you should not really be chasing after 95% chance to hit - something like 9000 AR will let you hit Hell Ball 70% of the time as a level 85 character. It's my understanding that characters that want/need to get AR this high aim for specific items just as the Angelic Ring or Metalgrid or "Sharp" charms

* in Nightmare difficulty, Bloody Foothills has an area level of 58, and the whole Worldstone Keep has an area level of 65. Since you can keep gaining full XP from an area as long as you're within 5 levels of it (and even a 6-level difference still gives you 81% of the regular XP you might have earned), you can stay in Nightmare until at least character level 63, and until character level 70 at most. I say this because it can feel like it's possible to finish Nightmare somewhat sooner than that, but then you get to Hell and there's a huge difficulty spike, but besides needing good equipment, a lot of it is also staying in NM and just grinding until 70 to get the most out of your stat and skill points

* more generally Hell is really just this thing that you have to play on players 1 unless you're awash in the kinds of uniques and runewords that you wouldn't necessarily have access to in single-player outside of modding or botting. NM is easy enough to beat just doing whatever and making intelligent skill choices, but just the hump of "what do I do when a monster is immune to my one primary attack?" is not easy to answer. Like you said, a Paladin might have access to Vengeance, but even that isn't a great solution because it either sucks up a ton of mana if you "spec" into it, or it deals very little damage if you only have a single point invested into it... but you can at least make the latter less painful if you're only on players 1

* and that applies to something like "just use Harmony to get around a Physical Immune". Back-of-the-napkin math: A Wraith in Act 2 Arcane Sanctuary is 100% physical immune, 50% fire resistant, 60% lightning resistant, and has about 3,000 HP in Hell difficulty. Your Harmony's mods just by themselves would be hitting for 53 fire, 43 lightning and 107 cold damage on average. Dividing 3,000 HP by 203 damage per shot gives ~14 shots to a kill. That's not too bad, and you'd likely have some additional damage from other sources even if you don't use one of your elemental arrow skills, but adding just one player then makes it take 21 shots to kill, and it gets increasingly more tedious after that

* I think an Act 5 merc should be fine - if you have a Lawbringer, go ahead and let him use it, but mind that it's not going to break as many immunities as you think it might

for the rest of it, you seem to be getting the swing of things where you can tell when stuff is taking too long to kill and are grinding appropriately to enable better gear, so I think you're on the right track

I've only been playing on players 1. My paladin was level 70 I'm pretty sure when I finished nightmare, or at least by the time I finished the nightmare cow level. I tend to be a completionist - I like clearing every area 100% of enemies, I even did all the fake tal rasha tombs. If I can make it from runes that I can grind off the countess then I'm happy to use my paladin to do that and then give it to my amazon.

I took myself to 29 then tackled diablo with the amazon and the new pieces of gear made a huge difference. The enemies that spawn with the seals were a cakewalk (the guy down the bottom was a nightmare to deal with my first time through with the paladin because I didn't know he'd spawn and I activated the seal before I cleared the area; I think he killed me 3-4 times). I lost my hireling in the fight with diablo just before I struck the killing blow but otherwise the fight wasn't a big deal and easier than it was with the paladin.

bishibosh
Mar 15, 2021

for the people playing PD2 right now, what do you think of the martial arts assassin changes? the chargeup skill changes seem a bit much, not sure why I'd use finishing moves now instead of just spamming the chargeup skills

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can't comment on that but I'm surprised how much I'm liking PoD. Made a bow zon and slog0lging my way through hell currently. All solo except somebody had to help me kill duriel on normal because my build flat out couldn't do it. Killed him in hell tonight and was pissed raven frost did nothing against his aura. Been super lucky getting a shako and travs while leveling. Nodrop is awesome and wouldn't play vanilla again without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Can't comment on that but I'm surprised how much I'm liking PoD. Made a bow zon and slog0lging my way through hell currently. All solo except somebody had to help me kill duriel on normal because my build flat out couldn't do it. Killed him in hell tonight and was pissed raven frost did nothing against his aura. Been super lucky getting a shako and travs while leveling. Nodrop is awesome and wouldn't play vanilla again without it.

He's got something equivalent to Holy Freeze, which has always been an exception to the frozen rules. It cannot be resisted.