Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So just caught up to the series, ep. 4 looks like the hypernationlism is going to pick up hard with the secret anti-magic organization trying to destroy Japan's greatness. Other then that, is it just me or does this show move extremely slow? 4 episodes in and literally nothing of interest has happened besides Gary Stu showing off (which is pretty fun to watch) between scenes of his sister shamelessly hitting on him and freezing the local area whenever he "flirts" with another girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Same. I feel a little sorry for anyone who's still actually watching.

Eh, I skipped a lot of ep 3/4 because nothing was happening. I'm hoping that later in the series that nationalism picks waaaaay up and makes it fun to watch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is this a 13 or 24 episode series? I'm just giving up entirely until its finished. It's just so goddamn boring and everything mentioned from the LN sounds way more fun to hate watch instead of this boring slow-paced poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
aaaaaaand I'm back in.

Okay, there's nothing like "Be kind, she was easy prey for terrorists to convince her to join them." to just be so laughably insane I have to watch it.

Also, why is melee even a part of the terrorists attack plans? Shouldn't .50 cal snipers just start headshotting every mage they see? Why even have batons if you have no magic power? Just loving shoot the students when they come charging at you.

Oh, of course the misguided terrorist sympathizer is disillusioned by the plans of the actual terrorists. Why else would a pure Japanese like herself help them?

"If there was a world of equality, we'd all be equally snubbed"........ahahahahahaha are you loving kidding? Man, if this show keeps this up it'll become the best awful anime I've seen in a while.

I was ready to give up this show entirely, but if the next episode tops this then I'm in for the long haul.

Wait, why is there a magic ring that can prevent anyone from casting magic? Shouldn't that have serious ramifications for the effectiveness of magical combat? OH WAIT SHE TAKES IT OFF TO DUEL HONORABLY. and.....instantly loses.

And the second guy to use it.....gets loving knocked out with an elbow blow.

Poor little haram member, seduced into joining a terrorist organization by her ~senpai~ because she was rejected by a course 1 student/ BUT WAIT THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED IT WAS THE REVERSE! The course 1 member was trying to praise her!.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS! MY BAD FOR HATING YOU FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR AND HELPING AN ARMED GROUP ATTACK THE SCHOOL WITH ROCKETS, GUNS, KNIVES, AND INSIDER TRAITORS!

So, I'm guessing Tatsuya will murder the poo poo out of a few hundred/thousand Blanche members, be praised as a hero, and the rest of Blanche scowling furiously at images of him for daring to stop their plans to destroy Japan.

Holy gently caress, it keeps getting better. "Her pure traditional sword style must have been corrupted by outsiders. Even though I tried to beat her into the ground during a friendly duel and relentlessly mocked her I truly appreciate her honorable ways. Let me help in this crisis!".

This episode was literally the best payoff possible for the last 5 mediocre shitpiles the preceded it. Everything about it was just so over the top and blatant "our pure Japanese ways are better" that I cannot wait for the followup to laugh at.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

The Kenjutsu leader suddenly being a good guy is weird. His whole character just does a 180. I will point out that Erika is from a famous family but still Course 2, though.

Of all the things that made no sense, that was top 3. All of a sudden it turns out he admired her pure traditional sword style so much he couldn't help himself but to violently attack her in a fit of rage, and the only reason someone with such pure Japanese swordsmanship would do such a thing is because she(he literally says "her sword") was corrupted by outsiders.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

The problem is that she didn't get him a history book which had texts and images of famous massacres of the Chinese.

And my god the author cannot write a will-they-or-won't-they story to save his life. An important part of such stories is to not constantly refer to the sexual tension between the two leads. Castle does this very well (or at least did it, I haven't watched it recently) as it is a police procedural first and romantic comedy second. It helps that both leads are charismatic and their characters are interesting in their own right. Neither of which is true for this story.

EDIT: Okay so waitwaitwait lemme see if I got this sequence of events.

1. The sister comes in wearing a sexy and impractical dress and carrying a bottle of champagne (when the gently caress did teenagers ever drink champagne? From my experience it's beer, cheap vodka or bust)
2. The sister apparently reminds him that it's his birthday
3. The sister awkwardly tries to get him to kiss her
4. He almost does she turns away in the last minute.
5. They have a toast
6. Nothing else happens, end scene.

Really? A girl who murders her brother for talking to other girls does not spit out what she thinks while she's under the influence? So what does she just say "boy gee whilkers that was fun Onii-chan, see ya tomorrow!"? This makes no sense to me :psypop:

And her birthday present is the most goddamn :jerkbag: thing ever. Don't break the bank now, Miyuki. That's writing wall-of-shame material right there.

A knee-jerk response to jealously is one thing, openly expressing emotions is another.

For example, during the Muv Luv anime, the MC and the main love interest are in a fighting robot in a building being swarmed by the enemies, minutes away from certain death, and when he calls her by her first name she spends an entire minute sputtering and saying how its not appropriate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

That would require the nationalism to be perceived as problem to the Japanese viewers.

For some strange reason, the vast majority of Japanese anime fans have absolutely no concerns about nationalism or racism as an issue.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For the longest time, I was trying to think of the most succinct way to describe this series. Then, when watching an episode of American Dad I heard the perfect phrase.

"Clunky and expositional."

This show isn't so much a story as it is a sequence of people constantly offering plot background and details with almost nonsensical action set-pieces that are nothing but vehicles for Tatsuya to be an invincible superhero.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's a good show. Fans aren't necessarily just fans for a few carefully constructed appeal points.

You have the anime equivalent of a gutter palate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It feels like the author might not even have been thinking of otaku pandering when they made Miyuki. Nothing's done with the crush. It could actually be an interesting aspect of the show if it was analyzed in any detail or actually dealt with in some way, but it's just an excuse for Tatsuya to be praised in every single scene without Miyuki having any other depth or reason for existing. Miyuki's sole purpose is as a cheerleader, and her crush won't ever get resolved so she can continue cheerleading till the end of time.

Sister incest in mainstream anime seems to have been started in 2010 by OreImo, and since then has become way more prevalent. SAO had it, and while looking on Wikipedia for examples I discovered this gem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_media_about_little_sisters

And I'm out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eddain posted:

I started watching this show and I don't really find it to be terrible.

Just think of Tatsuya as Wizard Jesus, ignore the rampant incest, and enjoy the main character being the best at everything.

I guess I'm just really enjoying the fact that the main character isn't a spineless wimp caught in a harem with new magical powers that he's afraid/reluctant to use. Just keep loving everybody's poo poo up Tatsuya.

Read from page 1. WickedHate's journey from fan to disgust is like something out of a Disney tale.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show would be instantly redeemed if after all of the incest overtones it cuts to the sister finally trying to make her move and Tatsuya just stares at her amusingly and smiles as he says "That will never happen, I was castrated as a child. I truly love you as family, how could I do anything else"

And then his sister kills herself.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

That would improve the anime's quality by roughly 500% so of course that won't happen. Tatsuya (GLORY OF RADIANCE) has long since licked genetics, so only the worthy may carry his offspring. I bet that the author will write something in like that.

Everything posted about the author makes him look like the anime violence obsessed Ayn Rand.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So this is it, the episode where Tatsuya’s rage over what happened to his sister culminates in his wanton slaughter of the filthy Chinese criminals trying to hurt her/make her lose.

Apparently he recruits his operatives from the newly hired ranks of the govt because they are less likely to have strong moral reservations about doing favors for them, and if they do, well “money talks after all”

Then we cut to some shady backroom deal where “Excellency” wants to forcibly take Tatsuya from the clan because said clan is becoming too powerful and they need to break them so they learn their place. Oh, and no. 1 clan heir could be the equivalent of a tank battalion, but Tatsuya is a literal nuke.

So it cuts back to Tatsuya’s attack. Some random bodyguard is magic vaporized, then suddenly the phone rings. It’s Tatsuya calling them to mock them while he effortlessly wipes them out. The head guy grabs a rifle to shoot him, but as he lines up the shot Tatsuya shoots him down the scope and blinds him in one eye. He then vaporizes 2 more random bodyguards, another tries to call out on his cell phone for help but Tatsuya has taken control of all radio waves someone. The last remaining boss is pleading for his life as more guards die around him before he gives up the name of the super head boss Richard Sun “Sun Gonming” (hmm, those names seems distinctly non-Japanese).

Shockingly, the gang boss pleads because “We didn’t kill anyone at all why would you do this?” and Tatsuya’s response “I don’t care how many you kill or don’t kill, you made me angry by involving my sister so I’ll annihilate everyone involved.”

So, the criminal triads have been selling “magic boosters” which is an unforgivable atrocity since the boosters can only be made from the brain of a wizard. Japan of course decries the barbaric practices(oh, North America is supporting them and eager to help) and says no one should ever make them since it makes mages too powerful (…what?)

Ten Master Clans keep getting mentioned, I assume they’re the ruling class of mages more or less like old nobility and desperate to hold onto their power. By the way the fight that emphasizes their “indescribable” power is the one heir making a 7x4 ft black monolith to protect his front that all the enemy mages only attack from the front and are effortlessly beaten back. Nevermind the fact that any defense technique that protects only 180 degrees would be easily brought down by the most inept of mages capable of flanking someone.

The grand ballroom at the end culminates with Tatsuya dancing with like every girl in the series except his sister, while she looks on at him sadly because she’s dancing with the head of the Ten Master Clans.

Also, previous invincible monolith guy drags Tatsuya out of the dance to say “Hey, you’re insanely powerful, if you marry one of the female heirs the sky is the limit” to which Tatsuya goes “I’m just a simple student, I don’t think about things like that”.

Credits roll, and Tatsuya is outside, approached by his sister as she asks him to dance outside by the fountains as the music rises to a crescendo and the fountains in the background spray up and light up to illuminate the moment.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Episode starts with magic cops rushing to stop illegal aliens from dirtying the shores of Japan with their foreign corruption. Said magic cops then completely destroy the group of heavily armed non magic soldiers. They then proceed to blow the gently caress out of the ship going “Oh well, it’s the captain’s fault the ship is here. Too bad whatever happens to anyone on it”

Now it’s back to the school, boring dialogue leads to some indication that Tatsuya is going to create sustaining nuclear fusion magic devices that operate independently. I feel like every single LN/chapter or whatever the author was so desperate to show how amazing his main character is that he just constantly rewrites the laws of magic/physics at a whim to fit his story narrative.

Cut to another group of people and boring talking, Tatsuya is being recruited for the Thesis Competition (magic science fair?) and he seems surprised, but the characters present go out of their way to explain how perfect he is for it and how only he could succeed at it.

The core group of Tatsuya’s social circle is amazed that he’s been picked, and rave about how much of an honor it is, and that the winner gets published in the prestigious journal Super-Nature. Tatsuya mentions his gravity/fusion unsolvable problem idea and everyone nods and agrees he’ll solve a great magic mystery in days and have it ready for the science fair in a week.

Tatsuya and sis return home, we get creepy poo poo where he tells her to change before dinner and she offers to wear anything he asks her to. Anything.

Some scowling woman appears in their home, tells Tatsuya to drop out and use his talents in the research facilities, he refuses because he is the best option to protect his sister. Casually mentions his flying devices have caused a 20% in the companies’ profits.

OOPTs parts, something called relics, and the once we see is the “magatama”. Funny enough, the specific magatama she gives to Tatsuya is capable of doing the exact thing he is trying to figure out for his fusion engine. He refuses, scowling woman gets angry, takes relic and storms off.

Poorly animated CGI car chase, looks like the evil foreigners are trying to abduct someone. Tatsyua arrives like Batman and handily beats them. AND THEY SPEAK IN ENGLISH! AMERICA IS UP TO NO GOOD! Tatsuya then gets shot in the heart and recovers instantly. In 2 seconds, he mentally retraces the path of the bullet from across the city (1 km) and then shoots the sniper with his dissolving magic.

Tatsuya returns home, and his sister serves him tea while wearing a new “beautiful” cooking outfit, Tatsuya compliments her with saying “You look so good I’d like to keep you behind glass and displayed just for me” Even his sister thinks that is weird.

More talk about how impossible and ludicrous is would be to trying and replicate the relic, Tatsuya agrees, but plans to figure it out anyways.

We cut back to the foreigners; they work for the Great Asian Alliance (dirty Chinese and Koreans I guess) and plan to steal the relic to make the Alliance much more powerful.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This episode is called Yokohama disturbance part 2. The season finale is Yokohama disturbance part 8. I am assuming that the finale 3 hours of the series are Tatsuya getting drawn into a massive China/US versus Glorious Nippon terrorist battle. And effortlessly wiping them out.

Wait, the magic school is literally called “First High School”? What a pretentious name for a place that segregates and brutally mistreats 90% of its students.

So, magic girl president is flirting? With Tatsuya and talking about how making mages economic powerhouses would eliminate their sole use as weapons. While mages expanding their roles is great, there is no reason any nation would ever go “well yeah you can make free energy, but we’d like you to wipe out a few thousand ground troops. Oh well, free energy it is, we’ll just throw bodies at them and hope to win.”

So…is Tatsuya not sexual at all? Or has he suddenly developed a perverse sense of humor, flirting back with magic girl president and telling her if the cameras weren’t there and she was still ‘offering’ herself he’d gently caress her right there on the desk? That seemed really out of character for him to suddenly be so aggressively in responding to her even as a joke. I’m assuming it’ll come back as his sister finding out and doing her psychotic freeze everything thing.

I skipped a shitload of episodes, but isn’t the counselor the same one who concealed information about the potential terrorists attack on the school? Why is she still employed?

So, as far as plot goes the school is being hacked or something, but every other scene is interrupted with comical male/female hijinks. The Thesis competition will be attacked from various angles by spies, thieves, etc. so Tatsuya is now having to manage security for the event, but in the “have flirtatious girls guard each guy” sense.

Zhou Gongjin is another point man for recruiting local naïve Japanese to help. Kind of a distinctly Chinese name. It looks like there’s a student at the school who’s working for the evil Chinese too. It’s a mess of jumping back and forth using vague pronouns to describe people so I’m not really sure what’s going on.

Back to the 2 police guys, the same ones who blew up the refugee ship. They’ve decided to investigate more, and approach a guy name Roter Wald. US/UK I guess. I don’t see this conflict ending in anything other than united international terror cells attacking Japan and Japan effortlessly repelling them. Never mind, it’s a café/front for terrorists. Or something. I can’t tell, this entire episode is a clusterfuck of shady stuff possibly happening while jumping back and forth between characters every 30 seconds or less.

Two of the school ‘enforcers’, redhead baton girl and other guy, attack some random guy who’s been stalking them, knife fight ensures and he loses. The dialogue for the entire thing is painfully bad, even by the standard of this show. Oh, now it makes sense, the US and the West have a bunch of people in the country illegally trying to keep “The East” from stealing Japan’s super powerful magic. That was the guy they caught, and after his big speech he drops a smoke bomb and vanishes.

So, magic cops are in the bar/café, approached by a random woman, she chats them up and leaves whens she gets a call. Hey, what the gently caress is this “Ancient Magic” that keeps getting mentioned? It seems like the most important thing in the world but it’s all vague references and poo poo.

Show ends with Western Spy being brutally killed by huge Chinese terrorist dude who’s been creeping in the background whenever head Chinese terrorist is talking.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I loved this scene because from a perfectly reasonable point of view, it looked like he was just some guy out for a stroll when suddenly two magic-wielding teenage thugs start hassling him and going "Oh, you can't escape us now!" *toys menacingly with baton*

Well, he was clearly foreign with a mustache like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rvm posted:

But most importantly, the rule "show, don't tell" is especially relevant to this kind of stories.

These types of shows are based off of light novels, which are the lowest common denominator of published works (and I think mostly digital, i.e people read them on their phones) so the quality of the anime is going to be commensurately lower as well. The show is geared to people who already love the LN and are likely to buy the BDs as long as its the same.

Onto the episode breakdown

Show starts with shady magenta haired school girl who was earlier seen spying on the noble protagonists furiously typing away at some hand held device while the students are displaying their revolutionary advanced science experiments in front of the entire student body. Kendo girl recognizes her and goes to chase her and shady girl runs off. Cut to OP.

Kendo girl catches up with her, confronts her and says “I was a spy too, you can still turn back” and shday girl gets all smug and then attacks with a single flash bomb, then a dart that almost neutralizes the kendo girl and the other 3 non-Tatsuya/his sis main characters, finally someone tackles her and is then worried it was too much. I guess as long as the perpetrator is pure Japanese having to use physical force to take them down is going to far because clearly words should remind them of their pure Japanese heritage. Later the 4 are being warned off by senior class members that their interaction could’ve been seen as a 4 on 1 assault, despite the fact that shady girl shot darts at their head loaded with tear gas.

Cut to senior members heading to interview shady girl and they find the nurse having to restrain shady girl on the ground in an arm bar. She spills the beans about how all she was trying to do was make someone’s science project fail as revenge for…something bad that happened to her sister(Ms Hirakawa). “That man” has apparently instructed on how to get revenge, and while she’s babbling she does the “pyscho eyes” thing crazy animes get when they are irredeemably crazy.

11 minutes in and surprisingly no Tatsuya. It’s almost like a different show where a school disciplinary squad tries to keep order at a magic school and is worried about how to stop potential spies and saboteurs.

My bad, here’s Mr. perfect human surrounding by his groupies all telling him about it and how he’s in danger, but he says he’s not and blah blah blah. Cut to the evil bad guys, a Mr Lee Chen and a Mr Zhou, two distinctly non-Japanese names. Something about how easy it easy to turn young girls into collaborators, nothing else of substance is said.

Red haired baton girl and kendo guy are supposed to be training together, he walks in on her in the bath (lol) while it keeps cutting back and forth between that and the rest of the main cast talking about whether or not those 2 are “together”. She’s supposed to be training him in some advanced technique or whatever, she says “Let’s asks Tatsuya” and kendo guy gets mad and says “No I must do this on my own” to which she says “Oh that’s so manly.”

I can’t really fault it, because I don’t know if it’s a translation thing or what, but its absolutely garbage dialogue that you’d expect from a lovesick teen writing slash fanfiction.

So, there’s a shady guy sneaking around spying on people, he thinks he’s discovered, does some magic ground destruction to escape, I assume he’ll come back as another collaborator.

Tatsuya and big tit glasses are seated enjoying a meal while other students are around. She goes to pour him tea, touches his hands, after which they both furiously blush, she moves to get up and leave, stumbles, he grabs her to keep her from falling, grabs her tits accidentally, they both freak the gently caress out, she runs into the middle of the room stumbles, exposing her legs from the knees down to the entire room (like it’s supposed to be something scandalous) and then takes off. Other girls yell at Tatsuya to chase after her. Roll credits.

This is the scene where she's "exposed" and desperately tries to pull her skirt back down to cover herself before she runs out of the room crying.

So basically the same level of exposure as wearing a pair of regular shorts, treated as some horrifically embarrassing display.

The writer of this has a serious axe to grind with modern levels of female clothing exposure and the purity of the noble Japanese compared to everyone and everything else in the world.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 27, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Thanks for summing what's been going on because I just realized that one of the blogs that I follow has stopped covering Mahouka since the summer season started. And this was the blog where some of the staff has had somewhat questionable tastes and opinions on anime.

I started watching the show, gave up pretty early on, then came back because I could not believe how bad it was. I'll finish out the series with my lazy rear end summaries, but no way in hell will I bother with the episodes I missed and I doubt they add anything to the story.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Goddamn this series :allears:

The author probably thinks girls showing ankles is ~scandalous~. And yet, to promote his book, he heads right for the most common selling point, fanservice. What a loving hypocrite.

An early episode had a girl with her midriff exposed or wore a skirt/shorts(can't remember) and the main cast (i.e the author) treated it like some shocking public display of obscenity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

It was the redhead girl. Her shirt got ripped because someone grabbed her and Tatsuya (THE ONE WHO CALLS TO THE BEYOND) dragged her behind the school where she covered herself up. Then he had to escort her because he saw her in a "compromising position"

thisfuckingshow

You really have to wonder if this show actually resonates with a section of Japan's anime watching fanbase. One one hand, blatant nationalism and racism along with incestual lust from his sister, on the other, a distinct lack of any fanservice whatsoever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Episode starts with Tatsuya chatting with that ninja trainer about the mystical item he stole/acquired that is the magic fusion device or something. He and his sister leave on his motorbike, are followed by a spy crow, and since Tatsuya doesn’t want to reveal his powers he just speeds up to evade. They arrive back at some corporate looking place, FTL that is being hacked from every angle and a bunch of techno babble about stopping it. The crow was the spy for evil terrorists and something about how important the relic is.

Oh, and the young girl who was doing all the terrorist stuff is getting a free pass as a favor to her sister, I don’t know who she is but that seems to be the end of it.

loving hell, a goddamn female robot maid dressed like she came out of one of those maid cafes. Apparently someone tried to pumping in sleeping gas into the robot club room Tatsuya is in; it was another student who was trying to steal data, so another secret terrorist at the school. This premier magic school does absolutely poo poo jobs at background checks and internal security.

It looks like evil terrorist assassin is heading to kill the girl they caught in the previous episode, we get a magic fight between some guy and the assassin, which is terrible by the way, assassin gets beat, runs off. All in all just a real lovely scene as far as the quality of the animation goes. It even does some weird slow down blurry poo poo at one point that reeks of low budget.

Assassin guy returns, gets told to go kill the male student who was just caught. He must be the only person they have capable of killing anyone.

Back to the school, Tatsuya wants to do something, chairman won’t let him because he causes a shitload of trouble, other girl there agrees to accompany him so he can go,

Back to school girl terrorist, some butler guy shows up and gives her a bunch of flowers, waxes poetically, she blushes, I have no idea what is going on.

So Tatsuya is visiting the male school terrorist with other girl and watches behind the 2 way mirror as girl uses some scent based mind control to make him talk. Terrorist assassin breaks into the detention facility and apparently Tatsuya and the 2 school girls are literally the only people in the building who make any attempt to stop him. Tatsuya stands there, does nothing while girls do some magic light show stuff that is completely ineffective until Tatsuya decides to effortlessly one-shot the assassin.

The key to everything seems to be the Relic Tatsuya is holding on to. Tatsuya gets congratulated by the Gov. woman he is in contact with, sits down on the coach to sleep, Miyuki walks in, sees him asleep, starts to go in to kiss him, he wakes up just in time, she stumbles and he catches her. She panics and runs to her room saying how she almost “ki-….ki-….” can’t even say the word kiss. He goes to tell her everything will be alright, it cuts to nighttime, she’s on her bed in her underwear blushing and rolling around giggling.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, the smooth talking butler who was giving traitor girl flowers is actually working with the terrorists? The episode starts with the terrorist leader and smooth butler talking over tea while planning on how to break free the main terrorist bad guy who got caught. Leader promises to avoid damage to Chinatown if possible, says the targets are the magic school and the thesis competition.

Back to the school, it’s a few minutes of boring chit chat with the core group around Tatsuya while some upbeat elevator music plays in the background. It cuts to traitor girl in the hospital being talked down to by some other schoolgirl who just goes on and on about how great Tatsuya is and how that girl could never get his attention. Apparently mean school girl is there to tell her to come to the magic fair. The idea is to win back traitor girls loyalty to take advantage of her magic talents.

There’s a weird scene where it’s a shot of some other school’s magicians on a moving train coming for the magic competition I guess. There’s no dialogue whatsoever and the shot takes about 7 seconds before cutting to magic cop at dinner with possibly spy woman with huge jugs. She casually mentions that she’s going to the magic thesis fair, and tells him he should come, along with his subordinates and make sure they all have guns and live ammo.

There’s a girl standing in a main hall area, she sees a woman going into a room, uses her smartphone to get her identity, says “I knew it”. Not sure what’s going on. Said woman then meets with Tasyua and his sister and they chat, there are ominous overtones about what will happen at magic competition.

I’m going break here and just say holy poo poo is this episode boring. 12:44 minutes in and its nothing but cutting back and forth between scenes of people talking, and half the time the dialogue is so vague I can’t tell if a person is a terrorist or an ally of Tatsuya.

Spied on woman who met with Tatsuya then sits down with the woman who was spying on her, and there is another drawn out vague conversation where spied woman warns off the snooper. Then spied woman wanders to a computer, access it and exclaims “LuGhonzu escaped!”

You know, that would’ve been pretty interesting to see, the main bad guy being busted loose from an armored police convoy. Too bad the show thinks we want to see people talk in circles and learn about important plot points from characters telling us about it.

Back to 3 of the school guys who do school security, they discuss potential problems, and one of them says “well, there are a lot of foreigners around.” So the main guy decides that everyone will wear bullet proof vests just in case.

Magic shows start, mean girl from earlier is present a gravity/magic fusion reactor, I think, but ends with “we still can’t make a stable magic fusion reactor.” Hmm, what a coincidence, that’s what Tatsuya’s been working on for a few weeks.

Cut to a view scenes of menacing people getting into position. Back to more magic babble, something about coulomb forces, I’m not even trying to parse what is being explained because it’s just a series of “we do this, then add magic, then do this”

Tatsuya is approached by a shady looking guy from another school who gives him a sort of back handed compliment, then the terrorists attack. Cut to ED.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

So has anyone bothered explaining why terrorist girl A was never charged and terrorist girl B got pardoned for the sake of her sister who appeared in exactly one scene, but terrorist boy got thrown in jail and then mind controlled?

Woman are fragile creatures too easily manipulated by others. Men are not.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A sick beat stars the show as some kind of armored bus bust through gates and some guards to blow the gently caress up at the giant tower that is constantly in the background. It was apparently “self-detonating”. The moored ship that the Japanese have been ignoring for some reason launches some landing craft to start the invasion/terror attack.

The Tatsyua power hour seems to start, a handful of brown coated terrorists burst in using rifles the size of bazookas to shoot .90 cal bullets it seems like. They shoot at Tatsuya and he effortlessly catches them. First guy goes down when Tatsuya magics off his arm. Now that noble hero has shown them they can fight, the few hundred or so of Japan’s most powerful magicians realize they can fight back too. The phrase “foreign institutions” is dropped, referring to the US I think. Star pupil from maroon coat school is shocked by what Tatsuya can do, claims it was some super secret tech, demands to know how Tatsuya knows it, is ignored.

There’s a really boring scene with former school pres and new school pres in an auditorium and how she tells people they can either head to a shelter, or flee to the docks. It takes up an insane amount of time for information the audience does not need.

Back to Tatsuya, he has his sister freeze all the bullets in the guns, so he can proceed to mercilessly and brutally murder the poo poo out of the now unarmed and mostly defenseless terrorists. I’m not even kidding the second they guns don’t work he starts ripping off their limbs and tearing them in half.

There’s some special secret room that’s a information hub that is just now mentioned that one of Tatsuya’s followers has access to where they can go and get updated on what is going on in the city. A bunch of red circles pop up on an overhead map showing that the terrorists have some sort of foothold. They briefly chat, head back to the main hall where they run into the schools magic disciplinary committee talking about the tunnels, boring, boring, boring chat back and forth and back and forth and holy poo poo this is such a completely poo poo anime I can’t even believe this skirts the border of “appeals enough to die hard otakus that it’s technically popular”

I’m not exaggerating, the bulk of this episode is just standing around and talking, there’s a brief action scene, it quickly ends and back to more talking.

Another one of the armored buses is heading towards the school. Tatsuya magically becomes aware of it with plenty of time to do his magic vanishing act but leave the driver alive.

Head magic school discipline guy meets some random army guy, they chat, that’s it.

Some JDSF guy shows up to where all the named main characters are and starts infodumping then orders the magic school students to deploy with the army. Tatsuya goes to leave and start murdering the shot out of the no good dirty foreigners when his sister does her creepy, blush/look down, makes physical contact, kisses his forehead and unseals his true power.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dramatic music starts; we get shots of other school’s ace magic guy effortlessly slaughtering the terrorists with their lovely firearms. He steps out from cover, is protected by an impenetrable shield, and the terrorists stand there shooting at his front causing no effect to him and he casually disintegrates them one by one while walking forward.

We go back to the magic school committee using crazy magic martial arts to kick terrorist rear end, again effortlessly, the dozens of heavily armed men are literally powerless to stop mages in any capacity.

Now we’re with the JSDF, head magic school committee guy, and the woman with some connection to Tatsuya, there’s something about the Kanto magic association, and then it cuts back to the magic school kids running to the shelter. Naïve and bubbly orange haired girl sees the entrance and runs to it, ceiling collapses.

Back to the JSDF woman and the magic students, 2 huge mechas approach them and former school prez and Tatsuya’s sisters effortlessly stop them.

I had to actually pause the show, because at this point its been 5 minutes, and the show is spending less then 40 secs per character group before just jumping to the next one and so one. In the time it takes you to read my descriptions you’ve probably spent more time then the show did. This seems like a really lovely format, and I don’t know if the director just doesn’t give a gently caress, but at far as LN to anime adapations going, the actual direction of this episode is one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Even with 24 previous episodes assumed to have been watched its almost impossible to get a hang on what’s going on because it jumps around so quickly. The only message I’m getting is “Mages effortlessly kill non mages and all who oppose them”.

Cut to JDSF/students looking down at the collapsed shelter wondering if they are safe. Once they see they are safe, magic cops from earlier show up and tell JDSF to go fight while the cops protect the people. I guess it’s supposed to be one of those “Do your noble duty” types of things. Oh, and said cop is the red-haired girls brother and brought her some secret sword wrapped up so we don’t know what it is yet.

Tatsuya rolls into some fancy lab, suits up into his magical batman suit that makes him literally invincible oh and he can fly. So now we get poorly animated scenes of Tatsuya flying around effortlessly destroying things. The animation also tends to focus on his crotch. Like, a lot. His magic triggers are located there I guess.

More of other school’s ace effortlessly killing terrorists. Guy plans to head to the Kanto association and join an assumed volunteer army that Assoc. is forming (or so he thinks) gives a impassioned speech about how its his duty as the head of the ten clans to fight for people. Younger guy who was arrogant towards Tatsuya tries to join ace, gets told to protect the students. This is the longest scene by far its literally “noble hero goes to fight, tells no. 2 to stay back to protect comrades” paint by numbers, including a lovely piano music trying to emphasize the emotional impact of the scene.

Back to magic school kids with magic cops. There’s 5 of them total, about 6-8 20 feet tall mechas coming at them, and they defeat them all effortlessly.

Cut to another group of kids, something thing happens. Also the mechas bleed when cut for some weird reason.
Tatsuya meets up with other spec ops soldiers. They’ve found a Sorcery Booster, proof that the Great Asian Alliance is leading the attack. You know what, good. If anything this show makes me go “gently caress Japan” because everything about it is nothing by the most juvenile power fantasies where the world unites against them, they worry about it, then when the fighting starts the Japanese effortlessly slaughter all those who dare to dirty their shores.
A magic bug swarm shows up to attack some helicopters, the kids’ magic can’t do anything, then Tatsyua shows up and one shots the bug swarm. Oh, and while he’s reporting in, he glances and sees a terrorist with an RPG aiming at the helicopters, casually points his gun and disintegrates him.

So we’re at the Kanto association, and for some reason they are incapable of defending themselves as well as the magical school students. All it takes thought is one mage guy (head school guy) to crush some mechas, yell at them to defend noble Nippon from disgusting foreigners, and turns the tide.

Other school’s ace is continuing his wanton slaughter, never once at any risk of danger or harm.

School kids in helicopter pick up the gang of kids killing mechas, Miyuki is with them

Cut back to the other gang of kids effortlessly killing mecha, suddenly they think they’re done, but a bunch of soldiers pop up from the wreckage and shoot at them, the males hurl themselves to protect the women and get brutally shot for it before Miyuki drops from the sky and ices all the terrorists. Then Tatsuya shows up and heals them like he’s loading a previous save state from a game. This means there’s a hilarious scene not shown where the guy who got his leg shot off has a new leg, and can look over to see his old leg on the ground.
Tatsuya hugs his sister, praises her, then DBZ flys off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

In short, Satou is just the loving worst.

He's just a fanatical right winger who lucked his way into writing the right kind of hard core Japanese nationalist sci-fi wish fulfillment LN and got an anime out of it, that enough people watch to justify a second season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

cooldude2.0 posted:

I'm surprised at the general sentiment on this show. The politics are jarring and a little disturbing when they're coming from Tatsuya, who is perfect, but generally I've enjoyed the hell out of it as sort of an action comedy like Toriko or Gurren Lagann where things just keep escalating at a ridiculous rate.

The main difference is this series does that by revealing what the MC can do and the others have the MC grow. But I rewatched the first 24 episodes last weekend and Tatsuya does at least grow a bit emotionally through the series.

I suspect the source material is just so bad that it's tainted a great adaptation for anyone familiar with it.
It was in my top four most anticipated episodes this last season, along with aldnoah, zankyou and dandy.

If you've been reading my posts then you know the vast majority of the show, even in "action" episodes consists of quick cuts back and forth between people talking. Tatsuya is also the exact same person he is since episode one, there is no growth at all.

Plus, the show skips over animating even the simplest things, like how the Chinese mafia broke out terrorist assassin guy from an armored transport; we learn about it via exposition from a person who is told by a phone call. They might've been saving their budget for the last 3 episodes, but even that is just "mages effortlessly kill terrorists until for some reason the terrorists strike back, Tatsuya shows up and vaporizes them en mass, resurrects a guy who had his heart shot out.

Shows like Toriko and TTGL have a sense of drama because even though deep down you know a shounen series won't kill the main characters (TTGL being a major exception, one that a lot of people lost their poo poo over and claim the series ends after episode 10), the fights are still pitched battles where the outcome isn't apparent from the start. There's none of that in Mahouka, the second Tatsuya decides to do something literally no force can stop him, and people only die/get injured when the plot demands it so Tatsuya can rush in to save them.

Oh, and the politics are more then a little disturbing. It's black and white that Japanese is a bastion of pure culture and power while the rest of the world are dirty barbarians eager to steal noble Japanese secretes and corrupt honorable Japanese students to their way of thinking. And if that doesn't work, they can magically hypnotize them so Tatsuya can free them and they become enraged at how their honor was damaged by dirty foreigners.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 28, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Here weeeeeee goooooo!

Show starts with Tatsuya’s magic brigade flying over the terrorists armored convery and effortlessly killing them, until said convey decides to fire back and kills almost all of them. Shocker, Tatsuya survives and then you see him resurrect the other members. It’s basically if they were zombie mages who recovered instantly. Tatsuya then whips out his 2 pistols and one-shots the big mechs in seconds. Overall a lovely and confusing scene, especially because they do that weird slow down motion during the action which I’ve noticed repeatedly during this show, and something that must be a money saving trick because it looks ugly as hell next to any other decent anime action scene done in the last 15 years.

So, no surprise that Tatsuya is effortlessly wiping out terrorist brigade after terrorist brigade, this entire show has been nothing but stuff happens, other people get hurt/fail, Tatsuya shows up and does everything instantly.
It cuts to the terrorist HQ, the general is freaking out because they keep losing people. Back to Yokohama and that one guy from the school who rallied all the previously fleeing mages with a single sentence; they are all now fighting back with magic and crushing the terrorists effortlessly. This brings up a really important point in discussion the absolute poo poo quality of this show, that being apparently unless any of the main cast are present, even a huge number of magic users are hilariously weak against an enemy and until they are rallied by a “noble Japanese” (the school guy does the whole stoic noble warrior thing) they will lose. But once they are rallied it’s a loving slaughter because their magic is so overpowered a few guys can wipe out a tank. By pointing at it.

Hahahahahaha holy gently caress I thought the nationalism on this show was bad before, but it JUST. GETS. WORSE!

Head school guy from other show is standing in front the gates to Chinatown with a bunch of people behind him, demanding that they open the gates or they will be treated like the terrorists besieging the city. Now, we as the audience know that some criminal element in Chinatown helped said terrorist, but this guy has no loving clue and basically orders people who are barricading themselves from the chaos going on in the city to open up or he’ll come in and starting killing them for disobeying. I think the assumption is everyone knows that since the gates are up Chinatown must be in league with terrorists, but no matter what is comes off as hilariously racist and nationalistic in a way I haven’t seen in a long time.

Gates open up, a bunch of terrorists are tied up and the head China mafia guy offers to turn them over as proof that the Chinese are in league with the terrorists, but the subtext is yes they totally are and this is a diversion that successfully fooled the moron who isn’t Tatsuya.

Tatsuya’s healing magic is explained, and its apparently reaching back in time to copy the state of someone 24 hours ago and replacing their current wounded state. Oh and he can do it to anything, human, plant, machine, etc. That’s why he’s so bad at “formal” magic, because he has a literal god like power that can bring the dead back to life occupying that part of his brain. Oh, and why isn’t he using this power to hell save thousands of lives? Apparently this god like magic has a downside, where Tatsuya instantly feels the 150x pain as the wounded he had canceled. Yet he does it without sweating, hesitating or missing a beat, and does it to multiple people at once, so apparently the “downside” only applies to him using his powers to save lives that aren’t people he needs at the moment.

So Plan B starts, terrorists attack the Yokohama center and that one guy, the Lion or whatever attacks but this time he’s wearing armor that makes him invincible and smacks around professional magical soldiers. The same guy taken down in one shot by Tatsuya and held off by 2 of the magical school students is no an unstoppable monster to all the no-names at the center. OH, now he’s unstoppable to the students who’ve held him off before as well. Before he goes down to 1 shot from former school pres.

Oh, and this is another really lovely animated scene. Like really bad.

Head Terror guy has strolled into the center, opens up some random door and faces Miyuki. There’s the typical “talk to the other person for way too long” that goes on in every confrontation in this show. Miyuki does her “effortlessly stop a guy with ice” thing and the scene ends.

More terrible scenes with the blurry slowdown effect and Tatsuya effortlessly wiping out tanks with one shot each. We now learn the enemy ship has hydrazine batteries? What the gently caress are those? Anyways, it doesn’t matter it’s only a random plot to so Tatsuya can’t just blow up the ship normally due to potential marine life environmental harm. Yeah, Japan is apparently deeply concerned with the environmental impact it would have on marine life. Looks like no one in the future is a big fan of whaling.

Some random JSDF officers talk about the raid, makes plans to blow up the ship. They unseal a special rifle, the rifle Tatsuya uses to wipe out islands, and then he wipes out the ship from 80 km away. The scene cuts to the head terror guy smugly insulting the stupid Japanese for their idiotic environmental concerns and how they were cowards too afraid to sink the ship. Ship then blows up.

The Great Asian Alliance is assembling, so Tatsuya and some no name soldiers get on a place to deal with it. Miyuki chats with her Aunt, Aunt wonders where Tatsuya is, banal dialogue between them occurs.

So, the GAA fleet has mobilized and is moving to attack Japan, and for some reason the Japanese fleet hasn’t finished mobilizing, so Tatsuya is being sent to deal with the fleet. He deals with said fleet by nuking the poo poo out of them with his magic rifle. The entire fleet Is effortlessly wiped out.

To be clear, this is a plot conflict brought up in the last 4 minutes of the show then resolved a minute later by another "Tatsuya does something magic" scene. There was literally no need for it to be brought up other then proof that the Terrorists were in league with the GAA and everyone is jealous of Japan.

So the narration over credits is some bullshit about how this proved magic was an effective military tool (loving seriously?) and this began a new dawn of suffering and glory of the race of magicians. Show ends with Tatsuya walking into his house and Miyuki running into his arms for a hug.

Post Credits scene is the Aunt making ominous places for Tatsuya and Miyuki, as Tatsuya turns and glares ominously at the camera.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

nehezir posted:

it'll probably get a second season.

I'm kind of okay with that.

gently caress that, there's not enough liquor in the world for me to write up an entire 26 episode season of this poo poo. Even doing the first 5 burned me out so much I gave up until the "murder dozens of Chinese people from a distance while mocking them on a cell phone" episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I was gonna say "Someone should tell Satou about Japanese internment camps from WWII", but given how they suck Imperial Japan's cock they'd probably agree Japanese-Americans were, or should have been if they weren't, spies. What an rear end in a top hat.

He probably thinks since they were "Japanese-Americans" they had been polluted by the American culture and were too stupid to know how to properly resist.

This is a great show finale to discuss on the back end of the recent news that high ranking Japanese officials have been caught backing right-wing Japanese groups using the Nazi Swastika and trying to pretend like it's not a big deal.

Right wing nationalistic Japanese more or less live in a country that allows them to express their views because they were beaten so horrifically badly in WW2, and said right-wingers immediately sidled up to the US to keep their power and after a decade or two move back to their extremism while the public figure heads where tried and executed and since prior to WW2 dissenters were shot in the street the new government is avoiding killing the agitators and flash forward to 2014 the right wing has grown drastically and still honestly believes Japan could easily arm up and overwhelm any foreign country trying to stop them.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 28, 2014

• Locked thread