Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

dogboy posted:

I showed you mine, now show me yours!

I am not VW and VW does not build power plants or uses nuclear fuel. So what exactly is your point?

Maybe turn on your monitor? :wink:

They seem to main be getting rid of that CO2 emiting Nuclear for clean renewables and literal garbage fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh by the way, the dollop did a whole thing on the Hanford site. The bit about W appointing a dude who thought the department of energy should be abolished to the department of energy was great. http://thedollop.libsyn.com/72-the-hanford-site

John Oliver's piece seemed pretty shallow compared to what I normally like on this show. I guess he had to use all that time making the same jokes about it being easy to side against nazis that everybody else already made weeks if not a year before now.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The train was cool, but i'm pretty bored by trump and trump associate news broken up with bad jokes for 30 minutes. I'd like them to kinda go back to covering international stuff. Yes, the guy is a trainwreck, no, they're not adding anything to the conversation at this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had no idea just how bad Joe Arpaio was, but I did already assume the worst, and this is still closing the door after the bird has flown the coop. He's one terrible human out of a system that has many, many terrible humans. Seems like they could've used him as a springboard to do a broader story.

As the episode goes, it's just Trump, Trump, Trump, and a shitbag who they're really only doing a story on because of the pissfuck. It's too simple and reactionary, and not particularly entertaining or informative.

The train was fun though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Renewed for 3 more seasons.

quote:

“We are thrilled to have John Oliver as an integral part of the HBO family and to continue to share his comedic brilliance with the world,” HBO Programming president Casey Bloys says in a statement. “His extraordinary genius for rich and intelligent commentary is second to none.”

“First,” adds Oliver in his own statement, “I firmly disagree with everything Casey just said. Second: We’re very grateful to Richard Plepler, Casey and everyone at HBO for letting us continue to do whatever it is we actually do. And finally: We’d also like to thank our staff for all their hard work. We’re incredibly proud of all of you, and rather than tell you that to your face, we’d like to do it in the cold, dispassionate form of a press release."

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

So did they give the train to the news station yet

e: oh, guess they are still figuring out how to transport it

Ignis fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 12, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
WNEP is taking possession of it and will have it up and running around Thanksgiving.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I forgot about the toilet cam.

Of course Trump likes that guy :barf:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

john oliver taking huge advantage of those three more years on contract and biting the hand that feeds him repeatedly

but seriously, AT&T is awful

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

but seriously, AT&T is awful

Now, let's be fair. It's hard to paint a huge company with such a broad brush.

AT&T is only awful in terms of customer service, being transparent on contracts promising "unlimited" high speed data, business practices, and pretty much any company activity you can think of. And in terms of their TV satellite service, they're only awful if you consider advertising tactics that are borderline fraud as being "awful."

So, again, to be fair to the company as a whole, you have to remember... uhm... OK... where was I going with this?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That was a good show.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

LWT is way the heck better when it's not the Gawk At Trump On A Sunday Night half hour special.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

lmao that change to the train

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Good episode. People forget about oligopolies a lot, which is weird, because there's so many of them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Good episode. People forget about oligopolies a lot, which is weird, because there's so many of them.

A lot of it is down to clever branding. Sure, maybe an industry is in the hands of a mere two or three companies, but so long as every arm has a different name nobody notices unless they read that "wholly owned subsidiary" bit in the fine print.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

A lot of it is down to clever branding. Sure, maybe an industry is in the hands of a mere two or three companies, but so long as every arm has a different name nobody notices unless they read that "wholly owned subsidiary" bit in the fine print.

Yeah. It's the reason why people are often surprised when they learn that basically all of TV is owned by two companies. There are so many subsidiaries and branches that it LOOKS like there's hundreds, until you see the big org tree and see how they all have the same parent company. A parent company that does not actually apply any of its branding on the networks themselves, so people might not even be aware that they exist.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

honestly, is it any wonder people think stupid junk like the illuminate are real when companies can do crap like that

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AriadneThread posted:

honestly, is it any wonder people think stupid junk like the illuminate are real when companies can do crap like that

Yeah the strangest thing about conspiracy nuts is how often they're like, 70% right, but then that last 30% goes completely off the rails. Like, there ARE massive, global conspiracies of banks... but it doesn't have anything to do with "the Jews" or trying to take over the world or anything, it's just rich people finding ways to make themselves richer.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 26, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the strangest thing about conspiracy nuts is how often they're like, 70% right, but then that last 30% goes completely off the rails. Like, there ARE massive, global conspiracies of banks... but it doesn't have anything to do with "the Jews" or trying to take over the world or anything, it's just rich people finding ways to make themselves richer.

One of the best comments I've heard is that "if the Bilderberg Group is this Illuminati 'thing' that ~controls everything~ and has this ~Globalist Agenda~ to keep the status quo they're profiting from, explain Brexit and Trump."

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One of the best comments I've heard is that "if the Bilderberg Group is this Illuminati 'thing' that ~controls everything~ and has this ~Globalist Agenda~ to keep the status quo they're profiting from, explain Brexit and Trump."

90% of conspiracy nuts are right-wingers and they think Brexit and Trump are rebellions against the Illuminati Lizard Jews or whatever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you're an economics or business management student you learn this either in day 1 of marketing or micro-economics. Luxottica for example is a very popular case subject of this since they basically get away with having an effective monopoly exclusively because no regulator can be arsed to give a poo poo about sunglasses.

EDIT: If you go to Germany and study strategy for one semester at a top business school you can also learn that collusion to control prices amongst big firms is all fine and dandy as long as you refrain from using the dreaded c-word.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 26, 2017

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

MiddleOne posted:

If you're an economics or business management student you learn this either in day 1 of marketing or micro-economics. Luxottica for example is a very popular case subject of this since they basically get away with having an effective monopoly exclusively because no regulator can be arsed to give a poo poo about sunglasses.

EDIT: If you go to Germany and study strategy for one semester at a top business school you can also learn that collusion to control prices amongst big firms is all fine and dandy as long as you refrain from using the dreaded c-word.

What's wrong with cartels, ese :mexico:

Or I guess if this was D&D it be :capitalism:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 26, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Haven't heard any conspiracy nuts go off on the LIBOR scandal, and that poo poo was a massive banking conspiracy to steal shittons of money. And you know, actually happened.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Or I guess if this was D&D it be :capitalism:

Well in a sense collusion is pure capitalism. :v:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Neo_Crimson posted:

90% of conspiracy nuts are right-wingers and they think Brexit and Trump are rebellions against the Illuminati Lizard Jews or whatever.

I've realized over the past few years that conspiracy theorists are just crypto (or outright) fascists. The only reason that they are anti-establishment is because their ideology isn't in power, and the moment someone like Trump rises they drop the pretense and start kissing the jackboot.

I mean the one nation that actually did try to impose a One World Order back in the day agreed with them completely about who really controlled power in the world...

Alex Jones is case in point with that.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 26, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oh yeah... that Megan Kelly montage. I'm glad she floundered in the ratings.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I'm glad not everybody is just giving her a pass for all the horrible poo poo she's said. She will always be a scumbag Fox News "personality" to me.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Surprised there was no mention of Catalonia, but they probably taped the episode before the news broke out.

I wish Crime Scene Idiot was a real sitcom :smith:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I would absolutely watch the poo poo out of Crime Scene Idiot.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think had the writers seen this story parts of this episode may have been completely different!

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4313103

"Police dog fires handgun found during search for assault suspects east of Calgary"

Crime Scene Idiot was right to distrust that Golden Retriever.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The usual conspiracy response - other than 'trump is on our side, sticking it to the globalists' - is that global destablization leads to opportunities to expand their power base and assert an even tighter stranglehold, so a periodic shakeup helps to crush unprepared opposition that managed to find ways to flourish under the Old Order while leaving the prepared parties well-placed to usurp even more control in the New World Order.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
The confederacy segment was pretty good. I liked that he told the saviel story to establish context and that he mentioned when the statues were actually established. Maybe it'll do some good.

edit:Looks like they changed the "Stupid Newbie" image again. Great.

No.1 Special fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 9, 2017

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Secret way to get goons to quickly throw ten bucks down lest they face being seen as the enemy

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Well you gotta admit that's a pretty inspired way to earn loads of :10bux:

lowtax you card

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm sad John Oliver didn't cover Theresa May's trainwreck even further. It was more than her message literally falling apart.

Also, Ben Affleck owned slaves.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
During the main segment, other than the outright jokes, his audience was awfully quiet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheCenturion posted:

During the main segment, other than the outright jokes, his audience was awfully quiet.
I wouldn't be surprised if it the segment just hit a little closer to home than the audience was expecting. Like I know I've had to explain to my father why these statues are hosed up before.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
[quote="“Raxivace”" post="“477205847”"]
I wouldn’t be surprised if it the segment just hit a little closer to home than the audience was expecting. Like I know I’ve had to explain to my father why these statues are hosed up before.
[/quote]

Well, the audience, I'd expect, would be a bunch of, pardon the expression, New York Liberals. I'd expect more agreement out of them.

That said, I've had debates with Canadian right wingers who have steadfastly maintained that the. Confederacy was about states rights and cultural protection, not slavery, despite the articles of secession, the confed constitution, the speeches, the statements made by confed delegates looking for allies during the formation, and so on. It's mind boggling.

I highly recommend "The Myth of the Lost Cause" as an excellent examination of the Confederacy and the Civil War, and the campaign by sympathizers to recast this history in a positive light.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It takes a surprisingly small amount of time to completely change what the large majority of people feels is right. A small example is colors and genders: currently most people feel pink is a girly color and blue a color for boys, but before the 1940s most people actually felt the opposite was true.
The same with firearm in the US: the NRA actually opposed assault rifles and other guns that are overkill for hunting before a radical libertarian group took over in 1977, which helped create the current (quite insane) gun culture.

Luckily this also works the other way around, like young people think it's completely normal that most restaurants and workplaces are smoke free, only two decades ago everything was filled to the brim with cigarette smoke. A bit longer back and even trains and loving airplanes were places were smoking was near constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Culture is constantly in flux and trying to predict how you will be seen by society, and how correct you were about the nature of mankind, politics, or society is a game that's tantamount to divination and prophecy. Liberals are very obsessed appearing to care about how they will be seen by future generations, and seemingly not actually interested in affecting those young and unborn generations in a positive way. I like John Oliver's show, but it feels like his viewers are frequently the kind of person who doesn't really have a grip on where our culture is going or how to respond to it.

• Locked thread