Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

KillHour posted:

Then you're gonna want to write your own network stack. Why? Latency. You don't need no TCP; UDP for everything! If you're waiting for ACKs, you're wasting precious microseconds. Flow control? gently caress no. You don't want none of that poo poo. Do you really need auto negotiation? When would you not use full duplex? I mean, poo poo. Wait, you have crossover cables, right? Cause I disabled auto MDI-X. No? Well, we can just flip the pins around on the FPGA. No biggie. Backwards compatibility is for suckas. Hell, rip out all that encryption bullshit while you're in there. I mean, why not? That poo poo takes like 5 microseconds on an FPGA to encode and decode! Time is money and the NSA probably already broke SSL anyways. Actually, you should probably just rewrite your buggy financial program game in assembly and have it talk directly at layer 3. I mean, do you really need to deal with that session bullshit? Only one thing's running on that box - and it's running on bare metal. Wait, make it layer 2 - MAC resolution takes too long and there ain't gonna be no routes where we're headed, pal.

Then, you gotta disable spanning tree on your switches. That poo poo takes up packets, rear end in a top hat. Did I say switches? I meant switch. One big fuckoff switch for everything. Good. Now, hardcode the MAC table on the switch. Don't want any broadcasts on this network. gently caress, it's still too slow. You have like 250 feet of cable between your box and the server. Can you get closer? How much closer? Dude, I dunno. Like, can you get on the exchange floor? No? How about like a foot away? 10 million bucks? It's worth it - you're gonna make mad bank, I'm tellin' you. poo poo, it's still too far. What if we untwisted the cable pairs? That would save us like 3% on the cable length. Yeah, it will increase interference, but you're so close it's not like you're gonna get that many flipped bits. And the server will drop anything outside of normal parameters. What do you mean "what if it doesn't catch it?" Of course it will catch it! It's the loving NASDAQ. It's gonna catch it, alright? You'll probably be fine. Just sign here for delivery.

It's like the second coming of that Gentoo ricer website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread