Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Marcus notices the thing assimilates into his arm, seemingly taking on the form of metal patterns covering it top to bottom. It keeps his arm stiff, making him have greater difficulty moving it.

He also notices that he is extremely tired. He can make it to DC without rest but he's not going to be at his best (-1). If there is someplace around DC he might be able to rest then he will be fine once there, but that is a risk as you can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"Jesus dude, that's...uh." Tom stares wide-eyed at the bizarre weapon. like it might explode any second. "Uh yeah dude, you might wanna try and catch some sleep while me an' Raige keep us heading up to the big house."

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Marcus

"That's a drat fine idea." Marcus replies, barely stifling a powerful yawn. "Wake me up when we get there."

Goona take a nap while we drive.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

Throwing the supplies found in the garage into the back of the van, Raige hops in again and starts back on the road to DC. "Man, what the hell is going on in the world. Its like the end times.

Gloria al Padre, al Hijo y al Espiritu Santo. Como era en el principio, ahora y siempre, por los siglos de los siglos."

Raige starts crossing himself, something he hasn't done since he was a child.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The drive is long and arduous. Marcus is able to sleep (1 success, Stamina) though you end up back tracking over and over. Only one road seems intact to go straight to DC. The bridge across the bay has a very clear encampment on it with an improvised gate on a pully system. Someone is in charge of that bridge. In the distance you see some untouched boats on the coast. You could always backtrack even further and see if there is a way around the various destroyed roads that seem to lead to DC.

What will you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

Tom leans forward, peering through the dirty and cracked windshield.
"Huh, they look pretty organized. I mean, weird monster zombie giant flying things don't seem like they'd take the trouble to set up camps and gates, y'know?"

Tom glances back to check on marcus.
"Seems we can get some help, some food, or some info if we can convince them we're not enemies. Probably best to cover up your hand though. Marcus, we don't want to spook them."

STATBLOCK
pre:
Health
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower
[X][X][ ][ ]
Init Mod: +7   Defense: 3   Armor: 0
Attack (Bare Hands)      5 dice 
       (Utility Knife)   5 dice
       (Large Sword)     7 dice
       (Shotgun)         9 dice (9-again)

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"Sounds good to me, it'll be nice to see a normal human face again. If they're hostile we should be able to backtrack and go around, or find a boat.

Although I'm not fond of boats."

Can we get a Map Update please?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Still a bit groggy, Marcus nods at Thomas and pulls his weapon-clad arm fully inside his coat. "Lets not let'em know that we're new to this whole, end of the world thing yeah? The last thing we need is a bunch of survivalists thinking we're an easy mark."

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"Yeah, but let's maybe try to get some information too? I mean, if they're organized they'd at least be trying to keep track of monster sightings or whatever, right? I really don't want to accidentally drive into a nest of whatever flattened the mall." Hopefully there isn't some kind of standardized terminology for the bug dragon things that they don't know about it. In any case, Nick is visibly glad that there's still Real Live Human Beings (or something that can fake it pretty well) around--he was starting to get worried.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Map update this weekend.

You pull up to a well made gate operated with pulleys. Two machine guard towers overlook you and a couple of holey cars. A dozen or so men in improvised clothing and armor stare you down. One walks up with a machete out.

"Hello, what brings you gents here?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

Tom waits for about a half second before piping up. "Uh...hi, I'm Tom, my friends and I have had it pretty rough out here the last couple days, and you folks look to have some safety here. So we were wondering if you might let us in to catch some rest?"

I figure it'd be Manipulation+Persuasion to convince these folks we're not looking for trouble. So, 3 Dice

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus also speaks up as the man approaches the Humvee. "I'm a doctor, I could help patch up any sick or wounded folks you might have in exchange."

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 24, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"Nope, fit as a 'iddle here"

He scratches his bald head

"So here is the thing, we need a vehicle and it looks like you are in desperate need of a neck."

He walks back and forth.

"But then again, we don't really need a vehicle all that much, do we Darrel?"

He looks back and a man with a large rifle shrugs.

"What we really need is a little something down there in the bay, a bit out of our reach. You bring it back, and you can traverse this bridge to your hearts content. It's a large metal jar about the size of a hat box and next to it is a green egg, you'll know it when you see it.

How does that sound?"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"So... Do you need the jar or the egg? I'm confused.

Also, pretend we've been in a cave for the last, oh, let's say 6 months. What the gently caress is going on?"

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus raises an eyebrow quizzically. "Oh? You look plenty capable to me." He quips as he gestures at their obvious weaponry.

"Look, I'm not an idiot. I know our options are somewhat limited here. I'm just sayin' that if you're straight with us, well it stands to reason that we'll have a better chance at fetching your little artifact yeah?"

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

Now that he's pretty sure they aren't going to get shot right off, Nick steps forward from where he'd been at the back of the group, and says, "Yeah, the more information you can give us, the better your chances of getting us back in one piece with your gadget. We nearly got killed, like, four times just getting here. If us and our truck run into something that you knew about but we didn't, and you never heard from us again, that doesn't benefit anybody, now does it?"

He adds, "Also, I personally could care less what the hell the gadget is, but is there anything we shouldn't do to it? Like, is it going to explode if we drop it? Again, the more you tell us, the better your chances of getting it are. Everybody wins!"

Mostly Nick's trawling for information here, since he has no problems doing the fetching for these... gentlemen. He definitely wants to know enough not to run into a nest of vampires or accidentally taunt the happy fun ball, though, so if they aren't forthcoming he's going to start pressing a little harder.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"We want both, just try not to drop them"

He points over to a small hole in the ground at the under the base of the bridge on the side you entered.

"You get those two, we might even have more for ya, who knows? You might even get a little something in return."

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Clearly these men weren't planning on sharing why they were so reluctant to fetch the items themselves.

"Fine, we'll get your drat egg and jar. Lets get this over with guys." He says to the others in the humvee.

I vote to move things along, I don't think these guys are going to tell us they're sending us on a suicide mission.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

Tom glares at the men, but follows Marcus' lead.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"Alright, thanks for the information. We'll try to get you your stuff." Yeah, he's a little irked at the stonewall these guys are putting up, but that's no reason not to be polite.

He's going to take one last shot at getting more info out of them before the group leaves though. He asks, "Are you sure you don't have anything else to tell us about what might be on the way to the bay? Just so we know where to avoid and what to shoot, you know? Might help convince my friends here that you're being straight with us."

If this would be a Manip + Persuasion roll, I've got 5 dice.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Bump?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"There ain't nothing there that you can't shoot."

There's a long pause.

"You bring us them back, and we'll set you up right and proper, even a 'lil protection."

The drive to the bay is short, it was within viewing distance before. A constant stream of thick unnatural fog seems to pour out of it. The mouth is large enough to fit a house through. Your voice echoes far within the cave.

A head covered with a mohawk lies near the entrance. Something very sharp cut it perfectly. There's not a drop of blood.

Near the entrance is a tarp with a large hole. There seems to be movement ahead.

Anyone with Science 2 dots or more only:
This hole was made recently. Something drove straight into a limestone cliff and hollowed it out.

Sorry about that, got a promotion! Things took a while.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Congrats on the promotion!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus gazes into the hole and whistles softly. "That hole is recent and if not man-made, it's definitely not natural. Something made that hole, something big and capable of tunneling through solid limestone at a decent clip."

"Take us in Raige, but be ready to whip around quickly if we need too. Without any ammo for that .50 cal I don't like our odds."

congrats mugrim

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"I'm sick and tired of this new world we live in. If this ese isn't friendly, I'll run him over and deal with that later."

Rolling down the window, Raige yells to the guy, "Yo, hombre! We're looking for an egg thing, you seen anything?"

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 6, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"W-wait a sec, in light of recent evidence." He gestures dramatically at the hole in the fuckin rock, "would it not be prudent to flip this thing around and drive down in reverse so as to get the gently caress out asap should poo poo go down? It's not like we got guns on the front, and as was pointed out, the gun up top has nothing to shoot. What do you guys think?"

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

Nick nods, slowly. "I wouldn't have ever thought of that. Downside is that we'd be a lot less maneuverable going in, though. It's really up to Raige, since he's the one driving."

Either way the truck enters the hole, Nick is going to be keeping a weather eye out for attacks. Even with the fog and the echoing, he might be able to get a little warning before they get jumped.

Nick has the Danger Sense merit, giving him a +2 to detecting ambushes, if it's going to be relevant. And congrats on your promotion!

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You get to the mouth of the entrance and Nicholas begins to sense an uneasiness. The fog rolling out of this cave is concerning, and you get the impression something wants it there. A large man moves toward you, hanging upside down from the ceiling of the cave. Raige spots him first and immediately points him out. He seems to be watching you, though you can't make out the rest of his body.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

Tom gulps nervously and tightens his grip on his sword.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus's gaze locates the strange man soon after Raige shouts his warning. He grasps the strange device on his arm, ready to unleash its fury should the creature threaten their safety.

I'll ready an action to blast the man if he attacks, but I'll try not to be threatening if he stays back. Potency 3, so 13 dice.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"This feels off, and I really doubt that guy is going to be friendly. We need to get the poo poo and get out." Nick's twitchy, repeatedly clenching his fists and then relaxing, trying to keep an eye in all directions at once.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"A-agreed. But what if pissing that thing off makes things worse?"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"I'm sick and tired of this new world we live in. If this ese isn't friendly, I'll run him over and deal with that later."

Rolling down the window, Raige yells to the guy, "Yo, hombre! We're looking for an egg thing, you seen anything?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

A deep grumbling comes from the cave, the shadowed man hanging upside down vanishes.

"Ah, an Egg. I will grant your 'Egg' for a simple request. Come inside, sit and speak with me. You have something I need, and I you. Do not be alarmed. Bring the book, it wants to be here"

Unnaturally thick cob webs sail out from deep within the cave.

This feels really sketch.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

bumpity

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"Ah, yeah, I don't really think so, ese. How about you show us this egg and then we'll consider coming inside."

Raige lowers the rear drivers side window, exposing Thomas and his gun.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

I sit braced in the back, trying to look in a million directions at once.
My sword is within easy reach between my legs, and I have my shotgun down to its last few shells in my hands and ready to do...something. My hands shake but I'm holding steady for now.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus tenses up as the thing beckons them further inside, and he feels his free hand involuntarily grasp the strange alien weapon fused to him. If that thing makes a move, he'll be ready.

Same thing as my last point, hold my action to blast him if he moves to attack us.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

Speaking very quietly, hoping that he'll only be heard by the people actually in the truck, Nick says, "Even if he was going to give us the egg, I'm pretty sure that giving him the book is a terrible loving idea. Dude's already walking on the loving ceiling, I don't think he needs to be bulletproof too." He really, really wishes that there had been somewhere they could have stashed it now that he's remembered that it actually exists.

Nick keeps scanning the surroundings in case of ambush, also hoping to get a better look at the cave through the fog. Maybe there'd be something useful lying around, or some kind of clue about what the hell is up with the cave.

"Decision time, people. Do we go in or do we turn around and find a different bridge?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

"It might be a little late for that," Marcus whispers softly. "We're on its turf with something it wants, who knows what turning back might do to its disposition."

"We need supplies if we're going to travel any further. Ss much as I hate to admit it, those hicks on the bridge are our best shot at getting some much needed food and water. Even if that means we have to deal with a monster to get what they want, I see very few acceptable alternatives."

• Locked thread