Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

M_Gargantua posted:

Both those links are dead?

It's working for me, but here are the images:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Both those links are dead?

Here's the original
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wIexilsTFKRbMIWc1MOY5XaAOPwNEU0AGMbSTAwqa3Q/edit#slide=id.g186b5128a7_0_41

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh, thank you. Sounds a bit...convoluted.

If we don't have a discord I am gonna make one, so more goons can play togethet more often and hopefully make me less crazy for the new patch.

It's super convoluted, which makes it kind of a fun puzzle, at least for now.

The basic plan, and I'm spoiling this in case you want to figure it out yourself, I'm doing this from memory, so the names are gonna be off.

Water is split into Oxygen, Hydrogen and slag. Gasses are burned off in towers, slag moves along conveyor to be crushed into crushed rock.

Other water gets sent to water plant to be split into saline water and pure water.

Pure water gets mixed with crushed rock to make mineralized water.

Coal gets turned into CO2.

CO2 +mineralized water -> green algae.
Green algae -> cellulose -> wood pellets -> wood blocks

Wood blocks are burned to make coal.

Coal gets sent to CO2 machine to feed loop.

I probably missed a step, but that's the main loop.

So, within that loop, some of the machines produce multiple outputs, and that's a common trend. Some of the ores can be crushed into 2 iron, 1, copper, 1 crushed rock. So you need sorting, and dumps/voids so the factory doesn't shut down when something gets full.

I think it's a fun mod, but it's very oriented around passive play. Set up a loop, make sure it's self sustaining, alt tab out and do something else for 15 minutes.

It was kind of fun to let it run overnight. I didn't gently caress up so I woke up to a bunch of iron plates, a few hundred wood blocks, and a ton of crushed rock for making landfill.

I definitely understand that this isn't for everyone, and as the complexity increases, I'll probably give up when it just gets tedious.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Truga posted:

They're the same link and both work. :P

I'm getting image no longer exists from imgur.

Thank you for reposting it!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Ah, that's the one I was looking for. There's one thing I don't get about the last slide though, it says 22 low density structures to 21 rocket fuel to 20 control units, which I assume is the ideal ratio of machines for feeding a rocket. But those all produce at the same speed, so why the discrepancy? Does that account for the needs of the satellite?

I'm actually trying to figure out how much production of those items is needed to feed a rocket without any pause in silo production. Right now I've got 20 of each, and even with 4 production modules in the silo, and I have pretty long pauses once it works through the belt storage, so I assume the requirement must be pretty high... I'm pretty bad at mathing these things out though, and it's especially annoying how they gave the silo a 1 production speed instead of the 1.25 of the machines feeding it

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Once you have reasonably fast robots, there's nothing stopping you from boxing up your entire factory in storage bins and then redeploying it in a more orderly layout. Well, nothing except your dignity, I guess.
That's essentially what I did at the end. Just built a bunch of micro-factories that took from a requester chest and fed into a passive provider chest and hundreds of logistics bots moving poo poo around because :effort:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Once you have reasonably fast robots, there's nothing stopping you from boxing up your entire factory in storage bins and then redeploying it in a more orderly layout. Well, nothing except your dignity, I guess.

I usually just leave the old factory around to make research/odds and ends which is generally what I made it for anyways and start a new factory to really crank poo poo out.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Toast Museum posted:

It's working for me, but here are the images:

Oh man, these are badass.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder if I should start a new game tonight, before .15 launches. It's been several months since I've played.

(edit) Didn't we have a good list of QoL-only mods in here at some point? I could have sworn, but I don't see it. I still haven't beaten the game, either modded or vanilla or mostly-vanilla or whatever.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Let's plug this again while i am at it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816431

Having more goons to play with would be delightful, i always love seeing other people build.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Nice. Bonus points for an equivalent cheat sheet for Bob's?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if I should start a new game tonight, before .15 launches. It's been several months since I've played.

(edit) Didn't we have a good list of QoL-only mods in here at some point? I could have sworn, but I don't see it. I still haven't beaten the game, either modded or vanilla or mostly-vanilla or whatever.

Problem with making a goon mod list is that my QoL improvements may not be yours. For example: I won't play without Long Reach yet do not use or recommend Side inserters, which some consider essential.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Eschatos posted:

That would take years to compile.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

seravid posted:

Problem with making a goon mod list is that my QoL improvements may not be yours. For example: I won't play without Long Reach yet do not use or recommend Side inserters, which some consider essential.

It would be a list of suggested mods, not essential mods: ones some of us have found to be cool or interesting. The only mod that I absolutely won't play without is black box/gravestones, and that's just for multiplayer. Oh, and Honk, of course. Everything else is personal taste.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Solumin posted:

It would be a list of suggested mods, not essential mods: ones some of us have found to be cool or interesting. The only mod that I absolutely won't play without is black box/gravestones, and that's just for multiplayer. Oh, and Honk, of course. Everything else is personal taste.

Alright, but if every suggestion is accepted, you risk having such a long list as to be unusable.

Honk could be good but isn't, BTW. When a train is stuck behind a slower train, it will honk non-stop. Game-breaking stuff.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

concise posted:

That would take years to compile.

Slight exaggeration but anyway, there's always this

http://demosthenes.org/tmp/BobAngelMainBelt.pdf

as a starter for which things are used by what recipe.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Ratzap posted:

Slight exaggeration but anyway, there's always this

http://demosthenes.org/tmp/BobAngelMainBelt.pdf

as a starter for which things are used by what recipe.

Fair, but documenting optimum ratios for the entire Bob's​ or Bob's/Angels production​ line would be an exercise in futility, unless doing it dynamically with some software.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

seravid posted:

Alright, but if every suggestion is accepted, you risk having such a long list as to be unusable.

Honk could be good but isn't, BTW. When a train is stuck behind a slower train, it will honk non-stop. Game-breaking stuff.

Good point. But since every time the question comes up, the same few mods are suggested, it might be a good place to start.

(The Honk recommendation was tongue-in-cheek, anyway.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

seravid posted:

Sounds like realism there.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

concise posted:

Fair, but documenting optimum ratios for the entire Bob's​ or Bob's/Angels production​ line would be an exercise in futility, unless doing it dynamically with some software.

At the moment it would be pretty stupid anyway since the author keeps changing things. He has a fair bit on hold for 0.15 and that's just Bobs. Angels author has broken 2 of my saves in a row now and from what he's written lately there are more big shake ups planned later this year.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Solumin posted:

Good point. But since every time the question comes up, the same few mods are suggested, it might be a good place to start.

(The Honk recommendation was tongue-in-cheek, anyway.)

Agreed.

I was kidding about Honk, I still find it essential even with that infernal "realism" feature.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

seravid posted:

WONTFIX

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I wish there was a way to search a tech tree for the first occurrence of a specific item. I'm playing that water skyblock map and I'm trying to find the tech that gives sodium hydroxide for algae wood. I did find chlor methane but I'd like to find the other too.

e. can't find methane gas either. heh

e2. Just found out that Factorio has music... heard this instrumental thing in the background, couldn't figure out where it was coming from so I muted factorio and it stopped. Checked sound settings and oh hey there it is. Turned it up to max since it's pretty nice, even if infrequent.

e3. Nvm that, turned it back down. Mixed in with the music is gale force winds.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 12, 2017

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Unless a sandbox has procedurally -generated music, it's gonna get old and repetitive quick, in my book. I had a hard time leaving it on in Skyrim and SpaceChem which both have pretty boss music but still just a finite number of tracks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just open up Pandora and play a music station when I'm on Factorio.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Another prima donna modder. I'm shocked.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

Another prima donna modder. I'm shocked.

It's actually a feature as far as I'm concerned. If I'm moving around and hear lots of honking it lets me know there's a rail screwup nearby (like someone forgot to lay in fueling for a train or a signal snafu).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ratzap posted:

It's actually a feature as far as I'm concerned. If I'm moving around and hear lots of honking it lets me know there's a rail screwup nearby (like someone forgot to lay in fueling for a train or a signal snafu).

I keep it in for ~my immersion~.

I wonder what the factorio equivalent is to a Clean Faces mod.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Clearly the long honking should continue, but the mod should detect honks longer than ten seconds and begin sprinkling them with obscenities. ("MOVE, rear end in a top hat!")

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If trains are catching up to slower trains it's not the trains that are to blame. It's them yelling at you to unfuck yourself and stop using mixed size trains on single lanes.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

What about when you dynocaps a single loco for personal transportation, smart guy? I ain't building a million miles-long service lane.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

seravid posted:

What about when you dynocaps a single loco for personal transportation, smart guy? I ain't building a million miles-long service lane.

It's you. You're the rear end in a top hat driving 15 miles an hour too slow during rush hour and holding everyone up, aren't you?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

It's you. You're the rear end in a top hat driving 15 miles an hour too slow during rush hour and holding everyone up, aren't you?

Yes.

...that's not the problem here, though, since I'm the one driving the bullet-train and inevitably catching up to any other trai HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Obviously player-controlled trains shouldn't honk automatically, but instead should have a button you can press to do it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Isn't that option already in Honk?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can honk already. Maybe Z? Or H? You can check mod keybindings in the options menu, there's a tab specifically for them.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tenebrais posted:

The one risk you run into is that, since oil requires electricity to harvest and process, if your solid fuel supply dries up for any reason you'll block yourself off from recovering (without breaking your "total transition" rule, at least). You should keep a little bit of coal draw as an emergency measure. It's the only thing burner drills/inserters are good for once you've got the electric equivalents going.

I usually have a circuit device near my boiler complex than turns on the coal supply when solid demand start out-stripping supply, then turns it off when the chests at the start of the boiler chain have sufficient solid again.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Eschatos posted:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Bobs was bad enough. I spent a couple hours trying to get into angels earlier today and eventually wrote it off as a waste of time. Sure, it may be ~realistically complicated~, but gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Evilreaver posted:

just lol if you haven't mulched 99% of a whale for one flap of skin and one hunk of meat

nah, that's easy mode. I prefer to slice my space whale

http://i.imgur.com/VHZBUt9.gifv

----

Doing tricksy things

http://i.imgur.com/cZVVJAi.gifv

or elegant things

http://i.imgur.com/j6cOk50.gifv

is fine, but you can make your own fun in the standard infinifactory maps

http://i.imgur.com/pEPBpac.gifv