Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Is cross‐platform play possible at this point?

I routinely play cross platform with mods, it works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Jabor posted:

I'm going to spoil the real solution a little bit - they're mostly designed so you stick a requester chest next to the assembler and have bots haul everything over for you. I'm not a big fan of this part of Bob's mods.

This is the truth for pretty much all of bobs past the blue science pack stage anyways. Who wants to try to navigate all those intermediates on belts?

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Here's how you win at oil.

1) find a large open area to do your layout. you want somewhere where you can expand 2 directions - my refineries are usually left-right and my chemical plants go from bottom to top. Here's a general screenshot.

2) make sure you spread out your heavy, light, and gas vertical lines. This is so you can run interconnects for your cracking (including water).
3) The reason you spread everything out is so you can easily expand your production.

4) Connect your refineries like this.

FART CANNON, HOW DO I STORE poo poo

loving easy when you think about it - pumps.

The pump will keep pressure on whatever direction its facing. Here i have a buffer of heavy oil. all of the oil that is not pumped into this gets cracked to light. The heavy oil buffer feeds a lube oil buffer and other poo poo. once again, whatever is not pumped into storage in this setup goes to cracking. the horizontal line to the right before the bottom most pump is the connection to the cracking line.

FART CANNON, HOW DO I CRACK poo poo

the spread out design lets your easily connect the cracking stuff together. See the screenshot above.

FART CANNON, I DONT GET THE STORAGE poo poo. CAN I USE CIRCUIT WIRE TO CONTROL THIS

yeah but you don't really need to. here's how:

1) connect pump to tank with circuit wire
2) open the pump

3)click the open box under WIRE CONDITION and find the picture of the liquid you want to store. here we are storing light oil.
4) click the 0 and change it to the number you want the pump to turn on at. the tank stores 2500. I recommend something like 2450.
5) Click the decider and make it so the oil picture is less than the number.

you are done. it will now turn the pump on when oil in the tank is below 2450.

The above design will only stop processing crude when the gas storage tanks are full. It will crack everything extra to gas and it is easily expandable for either more crude oil processing throughput or any material creation.

Remember that part of the game is planning. Take time early on to design things and it will save you a lot of headache in the mid to late game.

Fart Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 17, 2016

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

DaveKap posted:

I don't think I've ever felt more validated about how I design my factories than to discover that my personal invented way of setting up refineries is exactly the same as the Fart Cannon method of setting up refineries.

It owns

Oh no I'm not producing enough gas *pops down blueprint of 10 more refineries and doesn't have to hand touch anything*

Also post+username combo

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Exewu posted:

and this is my oil refinery, I much prefer (astethically) keeping all lines horizontal. I can still add as many cracking facilities as I like.

:catstare:

how do you ensure your lube oil has a buffer of heavy oil in case your oil income plummets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

cock hero flux posted:

Does anyone actually use lube often enough to need more than a full storage tank in reserve?

Depends on what mods you use, i'm trying out the factorio basics set and you use heavy oil, light oil, and lube oil in a lot of stuff