Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh my god, rails won't suck anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gibbo posted:

Portal sucks anyhow

Real edgy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Zephyrine posted:

Do we have nuclear weapons yet as an endgame resource drain?

Only nuclear thing we've got right now is portable fusion generator.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I do keep wondering when we're going to get barges, motoboats, as well as flying and aquatic enemies, so we can finally do some neat island-hoping based scenarios.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ineptitude posted:

That spider is outright terrifying and gives me chills down my spine, the bad kind of chills.

If we "need" to make this, from an optimal gameplay perspective, then thats the end of Factorio for my part :-/

No, it's a less crashy alternative to a car. You won't lose anything from not using it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Krysmphoenix posted:

Oh hey, new Friday Facts. We're getting achievements and

:stare:

And, uh... :flame:

Okay, so that makes flamethrowers once again beat poison bombs for forest clearing.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Solumin posted:

This is a fun game, and my friend and I am enjoying it immensely. If anyone has been lurking this thread and thinking about buying the game, I highly recommend it.

At this point anyone waiting is waiting for the steam release.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I had to sperg and total it

Things you MUST build manually:

1 small pole
-2 wood planks
-2 copper wire

1 offshore pump
-2 electronic circuits
--6 copper wire
-1 pipe
-1 gear

1 boiler
-0 stone furnace(already provided)
-1 pipe

1 steam engine
-5 gears
-5 pipes

1 lab
-10 circuits
--30 copper cable
-10 cogs
-4 transport belts
--4 cogs
-
10 red science
-10 gears
1 assembly machine 1
-3 circuits
--6 copper wire
-5 gears
1 assembly machine 2(no manual construction of components required)

which... totals 124. Maybe the cables count as half because you're making 2 each time???

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Boogalo posted:

You can press C to force shoot the bullet weapons and spacebar shoots shotguns in whatever direction your mouse is pointing. I have accidentally and on purpose shot up my coop partner and my base as well as running them over with a tank while they were afk. There's not much point to killing each other (death deletes inventory and power armors) unless you're making separate bases and playing that way but even then, turrets won't shoot at other players yet I don't think.

If you enable the dev console for the session you can assign other players to other teams, and then your turrets will indeed shoot them.

Not only that they get completely separate research

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Does anyone know enough about the vehicle mechanics internals to say whether a boat mod would be pragmatically possible?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

lohli posted:

Drive over them, bait them into big piles of laser turrets.

Invest in the little drone capsule things, and power armour +
Sure, all good advice

quote:

personal laser defense modules

But not this. Combat shotgun with all the speed and damage upgrades and the best ammo: this is the path to doing good damage to biters. You dump everything into shields and speed when you reach the power armor, because the laser defense can't keep up with the shotgun for dps.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Another noob strategy for medium worms:

Set an empty turret down to draw agro.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Roadie posted:

So do any wise goons run multiplayer servers for this game?

I did for a while, then went through some poo poo that made me give up.

If I brought my server back up, anything you'd like to see, modwise?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The other impossible to delegate task is finding new mines and hooking them up.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Agent355 posted:

Sorry more questions, i keep running into new problems.

Whats a good way to put circuit networks to use? I'm not sure I even entirely understand how they work but I can't think of what they would be used for either.

They're mainly for silly gimmicky things like pretty flashing lights, but a few arbitrary uses:
*turning off heavy oil cracking if lube is low
*uh
*hm.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ciaphas posted:

When you said silly gimmicky things with lights, uh, dang you weren't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=indN4kcshB0

0.13 will have light color be controllable, FYI

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Does anybody know the expected way to play through the New Hope campaign, where you restore the base and get rails working again? I must have started this campaign four or five times and every time I feel like I'm doing it wrong somehow. Always takes way too long to make all the things I have to put in my car, even with rails going and multiple furnace arrays.

Factorio is a slow game. Do build the rails back to the iron and copper mines for extra resources, but that's about it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
100% railroad logistics is fun.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ratzap posted:

I put a mod pack together to play RSO as a train game. One of the things I picked was a new mod I'd not tried yet

K&L Inserters

It's straight up fantastic, you can bin all the other inserter mods - all they do is add clutter. These ones work like this, you drop one on the ground and a little GUI pops up. You select where the arm should be to pick up from anywhere in the 8 grid boxes around it, then pick where it puts down with an optional tick box to insert near side. All the variants and none of the tabs/mess, it's my new favourite mod.

My problem with these mods isn't that they complicate things too much, but they complicate things the wrong way, by making there be even more obvious solutions to logistics puzzles, through more options.

I've been playing a trains-only logistics game, which means that I have to plan everything around that limitation and increases the puzzle-solving. Or at least did for a while.

What I want now is like... cargo boats and planes and runways, so that you can have an island hopping factory.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
And you missed the level 2 assembler, which must be hand crafted(but all its ingredients can be made in a level 1 assembler)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Critical update, I finally launched my first rocket last night.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

little munchkin posted:

you should launch another :twisted:

Peaceful mode all resources maxed because I'm lazy?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

zedprime posted:

Don't start over. Do it in the current factory, but faster.

Nah. I want new achievements.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

little munchkin posted:

nah just keep building more stuff

the cool part of the game is the next 5 rockets are a completely different challenge from the first once (setting up trains, belting resources, massive smelting and circuit setupts)

I've done all that before. I've played the game since like... 0.8? I just got bored for a while and never got to the new endgame after the rocket defense went away.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I still really want canoes, barges, and docks for an island map. More diversity in logistics challenges would be so awesome

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Mess with it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Drone_Fragger posted:

The challange I always liked was "no hand crafting" using the burner assembler that someone made. Really forced you to actually lay out production for things rather than just mashing the iron pipe button 250 times and then going to get a drink.

Got the achievement for that one. Not worth it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Having finally researched and built them: artillery trains are rad as hell, but I'm not sure I have it in me to scale up to building rockets fast enough to research their range boosts

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

TyrsHTML posted:

I mean, you can just not use blueprints if you don't want to.

The problem is that scaling up without copy paste is boring tedium, and never solving any problems is boring

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I haven't had it happen but fixing a nuclear power crash if you cleaned up your old coal stuff could be real fun

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Mayveena posted:

Also never have a single point of failure :)

That's boring though.

(Also I have 2 nuke plants both have trainloads of nuclear fuel, so brownouts when the big one goes down, not blackouts, sadly)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Jabor posted:

Do you believe the Factorio devs are fragile snowflakes that need to be protected from ... ever seeing a bug report about some probably-not-intended behaviour in their product?

No but they need to be protected from wasting their time with the kinds of nitpicking associated with gamers.

So the mods get used to closing tickets similar to yours early and often.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Is there anyway to make a stack/filter inserter wait before it takes a finished material ( like iron plates) out of a furnace? Like say i want the inserter to wait for the stack to reach 40 before it takes it out of the furnace.

Not that exact thing, but only because you can't wire furnaces to circuit networks

But putting together a general timer is possible.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

How do i go about doing that exactly?

Oh boy phone posting that might be hard.

A constant combinator plugged into an adder combinator that loops back into itself as an output creates a counter that increases forever, once each frame.

You plug that into an arithmetic combinator with a modulo operation and that can create a timer that has specific values in a loop. The bigger the modulo, the longer the loop.

You can then use a condition on the inserters to make them active for any subsection of the loop.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Trip report: They did not update the transport belt madness mini campaign for longer blue belts. It's now super easy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ciaphas posted:

How does filtering and logistics work now pre-bots? I notice splitters have some sort of Filter now, can I run a mixed smeltery line or something using this? (Do I WANT to?)

You want every possible base design

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
My vision would be to do away with labs, reskin science potions as toys, and spawn "houses" that you have to deliver toys to to research.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Krataar posted:

Will the map gen be changing in .17 or will I be able to carry over a save without the map looking like rear end?

Latest Friday facts says it's going to be "tweaked"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Is 0.17 actually out? Is the campaign too buggy to play?