Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kenlon posted:

The other thing I want is more things to do with petroleum - oil fired boilers, for one thing, plus the ability to barrel up other liquids than raw crude. What other distillates would make sense to have, though? And what to use them for?

Oil-filled trenches you can ignite for a wall of fire. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I'm hesitant to buy this before it gets on Steam because Steam has spoiled me with everything magically auto-updating. How much of a pain is updating this?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Not at all. You go into options and select "Allow updates" and "Allow experimental updates" and it gives you a prompt when you start the game, asking whether or not you want the update to take place.

About as easy as it gets.

Oh good, I was dreading it'd involve hunting down links on their website and manually patching every time. Gonna buy it then!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Something I've noticed is that biters really loving hate radars. I had a relatively well-fortified base with some gaps in the walls and biters would zip right past my turret pillboxes and dirty polluting boilers/furnaces in order to eat my radars before doing anything else.

Could be worth abusing.

e: I'm guessing because they're classified as military buildings

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

The missions specifically point out that Biters Hate Radars

I was skimming the text and missed it explicitly stating it. :negative:

At least we got a funny gif out of my incompetence.

e: In other news, I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough and already thinking about what I'd do differently. This game I bussed pretty much every material; next time I think I'll only bus iron/copper/steel plates plus maybe gears and copper wires. Then have a wider bus with each of the primary materials (iron/copper/steel) on both sides of a belt or even two belts and have some gaps between sections to make it easier to split things off.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 9, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Question (which I can't test for myself right now): If a splitter has two inputs and two outputs, will it act as an equalizer that tries to divide the inputs across both output belts?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I started a new game and holy poo poo I started on an almost island. There's just a thin,as be eight wall wide, strip of land connecting me to the mainland. The space I have to expand in is enormous too. I share the island with a biter nest, though, so I'm not totally safe. But I'm drat close!

If it's still in the early stages (only nests and small biters, no worms) then I'd rush it early with a couple gun turrets and grenades so you can have the island to yourself.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Make some poison capsules. Not only do they kill worms, they also destroy trees in a fairly large area. :ssh:

e: And again, grenades are surprisingly useful against lower-tier biter spawners - they instakill all small biters in a fairly large radius. Two of them will kill 90% of the small biters in the initial rush you get from approaching a nest.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 9, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Haha oh wow my red science production was choking for the stupidest reason. I'd just upgraded my iron line to be express belts, and it turns out they move poo poo so fast that basic inserters can't grab them fast enough. That meant I wasn't making any gears.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

If you really can't write at all, take a handful of screenshots and caption them ('green science done', 'new pillbox'), and I'll write it up for you. I'm super easy and love writing.

What's your opinion on streaming my turn? Hypothetically.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

On the final stages of my first game assembling the Rocket Defense now. Aaagh, bottlenecks on circuit boards :byodood:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

khy posted:

By 'restarting' I mean 'getting frustrated and just starting all over from scratch'. Like I'll get frustrated because I have too many iron plates and not enough gears, so I build a gear factory and suddenly it swings around 180 degrees and becomes not enough plates and too many gears. And I try to balance it out and my base becomes a colossal mess and I get frustrated because I have conveyors going in bizarre directions to try to get around the horrible layout I have, and I can't figure out what's going where.

I need to get better at using splitters and things to even out my production.

Also, don't try to balance your production. If you don't have enough of something, just keep adding more sources of it. If that eats up the inputs for it, then go and add more of those. And so on and so forth.

This isn't Anno 1404/2070.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Popy posted:

Ok dumb question. Why the gently caress wont a Inserter put Coal in a Boiler?

If the boiler has ~5 coal in it already the inserter won't put more in, and if the water is at 100 degrees already the boiler won't turn on and actually burn the coal.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

snooman posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but it's annoying to have to build 100 units of Science pack 3 in order to gain the technology which allows automated production of Science pack 3.

You only need Assembler 2 (the blue one) to make Science 3, not Assembler 3 (the yellow one).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

snooman posted:

Nope, just ignorant and apparently blind. After building and using a score of them, all this time I thought assembling machine 2 could only take three ingredients.

That'd do it. :downs:

I'm not even sure what Assembler 3s are used for. Can they hold more upgrades or something? The only things I can think of that need more than 4 ingredients are some of the power armor components (which you're only going to build like 3 of anyway) or the rocket defense (which is built in half a second).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

You should always be using productivity on oil refineries. It's debatable on any other thing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

thehustler posted:

I kept thinking I was close to winning my first game of Factorio and then I find out there's more to build. I researched Rocket Defence, and then realised I had to actually build all the parts to make it. I have my rockets. I have my circuits. And now I'm building the modules...

...and it is taking forever. I have speed 3 modules in all of the Assembler 2's making the level 2 and 3 modules, and productivity 3 modules in all of the red/blue circuit factories, but god drat it still takes ages. I may replace the Assembler 1 making level 1 speed/prod modules to an Assembler 2 so I can put modules in it but I'm sure it won't help that much.

I've actually taken to having modules being made by my character while I'm running around, just so I can give the process a helping hand.

It will, actually; in addition to letting you put modules in them the higher-end assemblers flat-out craft faster than the earlier ones.

I think it works out that assembler 3s are 1.5x faster than assembler 1s, even before you put any modules in them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Colonel J posted:

Not pictured: 10-15 pumpjacks scattered around the factory. All the oil goes into the top two tanks, which are perpetually empty. Under the refineries are storage for petroleum, light and heavy, from left to right. All the plants under the tank storages crack heavy into light and light into petroleum. I can barely feed a plastic assembler with this setup! Only one refinery is ever running. Am I doing it wrong?

Have the pumpjacks hit 0.1 oil/sec yet? Are you using speed modules on all the pumpjacks and productivity on the oil refineries? Do the really far away pumpjacks have electric pumps on the pipes going out of them so the pressure stays high enough for decent throughput?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

10.0 (at least, maybe others) also has a bug where if you're holding LMB to autplace power poles and your mouse happens to be on top of a tree when it's trying to place one your game crashes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

seravid posted:

I've completed the campaign and started a sandbox game to mess around. I'm 20 hours in and getting the hang of it, but I do have a few questions:

- Tier 4 research (purple) requires a hell of a lot of alien artifacts, is there any way to automate nest extermination (and artifact vacuuming) ? Gathering the hundreds of orbs necessary manually will take ages.

No. Get the highest tier combat bots (destroyer capsules?), they make short work of even tier 3 biter nests.

quote:

- Can't construction bots build stuff themselves if the required materials are present? I guess I can put a provider chest at the end of every single line so nothing is ever missing, but it seems more reasonable for the construction bots to just pick up the thousands of iron plates and gears in storage and construct whatever the blueprint requires.

Nope, that would defeat the point of the game.

quote:

- Oil production and consumption is pretty weird. I ran out of it near my base, so I figured I'd build a major, self-sufficient outpost in a strategic position, set up a barrel factory, transport every drop of oil in the area, pack it and send it to the main base's refinery complex. Brilliant, except the 10 drills I have right now can only support one, single, solitary barrel assembler; my train runs therefore mostly empty, but the worst part is that even this pathetic output is way more oil than I need. One minute everything's awesome, the next all my storage tanks are full, even with 5 refineries burning 24/7.

This isn't a question.

But realtalk: Put speed modules in the drills if you want more output and put productivity or speed in the refineries. Ten drills is still a lot even if you're not using more than one assembler.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

The worst part is that an oil pipeline is higher-bandwidth, faster, simpler, and cheaper than a rail line, which renders the whole barrel setup obsolete except as an exercise.

Rails require a buttload of steel, engines, fueling for trains, logistical setup, loading and unloading, filling and emptying on both sides...

Pipes just require iron for pipes, and extremely long pipes benefit from a single electric pump, that's it.

Doing it by rail makes sense if it's both a long distance and you can run something else on the same train.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Doing it by Rail also means i am 99% less likely to accidentally drive over pipes :v:

On the other hand, it means you're 99% more likely to be hit by a train at some point. :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

snooman posted:

Minor nitpicky fix: This only works if no other poles are nearby, which makes running parallel lines within connecting range of each other a completely manual process.

... why would you need to run two power lines in parallel? :confused:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

This is a big problem for me. Every single train station, mine and oil field needs to be surrounded by laser towers and a drone hive and a chest with replacement walls and replacement laser turrets.

The trick to dealing with this is radars. Biters hate radars and will attempt to kill them first before anything else, so have spaced-out outposts with one radar in them to attract biters and heavily reinforce those. That will safe you from having to wall off an entire railroad track or whatever, you'll just need a couple pillboxes along its length.

You will still want to put walls around power poles to stop the odd little biter who runs off by himself, but if you're doing this you shouldn't need much more than that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Is the level of the campaign where you're first exposed to oil bugged? I'm supposed to be making plastic for a plane, but there's no indicator of how much I need.

I'm pretty sure you just need enough to actually make the plane.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Apocadall posted:

Is there any way to change size of mineral deposits after start? I have about 50 hours into a factory now and just starting to get good amounts of alien artifacts, but all my mineral deposits are set to normal/regular from when I first started. What's my best option (please don't say restart :( ).

I won't say anything, then. :v:

sorry :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Idles posted:

Patch is looking good so far. Interesting what they've done to balance the upper-tier combat items. Shields in power armor are definitely a bit more powerful; seem to recharge a lot more quickly.

There's a new tier of biters and spitters. 5000hp on the behemoth biters!

I think re: the spoiled thing, they did that because the size of biter waves was getting too large and slowing down computers. The highest tier is purely a "there would be 50 big biters here, so instead we're going to spawn 4 superbiters and 10 regular ones" type thing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

So is there any pressure on R.R Martin to write faster now that the show has caught up with the books? The momentum of the show is enormous but it's going to lose a lot of it if there's a 3 year gap between seasons.

I dunno, is he using a bus setup for his factory?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

re: biters and getting artifacts: The trick is to not immediately turtle up. Basic biter nests can be dealt with using only an SMG loaded with basic clips, a regular-rear end shotgun, and grenades. The issue is that they evolve much faster if they're in pollution so if you ignore them from the start of the game then by the time you actually get to needing purple science they'll have evolved to tier 3/4 and have poo poo you need the high-end poo poo to deal with, which puts you into a catch-22 situation of needing to kill them to get purple science to research the things that allow you to kill them - or turret creeping, which is boring.

Use grenades to kill the initial rush and any worms; use the SMG to kill the individual spawns once you've deal with the initial rush, and use the shotgun to kill the nests.

What you should be doing is getting military techs as the first thing you get each time you get a new science pack. Once you have the above things (and armor) then open up your map, press alt to turn on the pollution overlay, and kill every biter nest in or near your pollution cloud. As you expand and tech keep checking your map every now and then for new nests spawning/the cloud expanding into new nests and kill them. If you do this then you'll easily have enough artifacts to get cool poo poo like power armor, armor-piercing autoshotguns, and the high end combat drones, and having those things lets you steamroll even the biggest biter nests.

If you do all this, then the biggest threat by the mid-late game will actually be biter nests across oceans; pollution is partially mitigated by forests and land tiles and so on so it tends to get constrained by terrain but water has absolutely no impact on it; your pollution cloud will probably get 2-3 times further away over ocean than it will over land. Your first waves of big/huge biters will probably come along the coast from such nests.

One last tip: Sometimes you'll run into an unevolved nest that has a big worm guarding it, which is nearly impossible to kill early on. You can kill big worms with ~3 poison capsules.

The only ratio I bother remembering is the one for power plants - 1 pump, 14 boilers, 10 steam power plants.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

So I'm doing a no-aliens craftable artifacts game to later set up a crazy rapid rocket launch factory, and uh...

I'm not sure if this is a warning to never play with very low terrain segmentation, or a warning that your pollution always reaches out farther than you realize.

EDIT: Or why you don't use 120 steam engines and forget Solar Power exists.

It's because you're in the middle of a desert. Pollution gets progressively reduced on tiles that are grassland, and further reduced for each tree present on a given tile. Deserts have no intrinsic impact on pollution and tend to have very few trees, so pollution spreads pretty far over it. Only thing worse is ocean.

e: in regards to oil: First thing you should do with blue science is get advanced oil production, and first thing you should do with that is set up 2 (or more) chemical plants cracking light oil into petroleum. Heavy is at least useful for lubricant.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 3, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Boogalo posted:

New blog post is up!

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-128

Experimental belt (un)loader

http://i.imgur.com/c8bKi2a.webm

:swoon: It looks neat but could make some logistics waaaay too easy. Easy enough to just not use them though.

It could also make some interesting setups with belts, chests, and stack size improved inserters.

This doesn't look that ridiculous to me; the only place where I can really think "yes this would be a 100% improvement over the current situation" is loading/unloading trains.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

* a less lovely ui and controls. if i put poo poo on my toolbelt i want it to stay there even if i run out of resources. i want to be able to load in my burner miners without opening an annoying popup.

have thing you want to load into machine in hand, ctrl-click on machine. inserts it without needing to open its inventory.

quote:

* not having to find a power pole to click on to see my energy network. hidden features like that should be large buttons in the ui. openttd's ui had the right idea

it's entirely possible to have multiple disconnected energy networks which is probably why this is how it is. why you'd actually do that is another thing entirely.

Redchaostry posted:

My current game is getting pretty hosed.

Not sure if salvageable or not. I will continue until I have no hope of recovery. Which with the copper shortage will be pretty soon.

put radars in your pillboxes, biters hate them and are attracted to them. that can concentrate their attacks to specific points and make it much easier to build defenses before you're in the "wall off a section of the world and line the walls with laser turrets" section of the game.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 6, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

widespread posted:

I might bum one of your guys' ideas because my current setup of "column of accumulators/powerlines/panels" isn't giving the accumulators any juice.

That's from when the panels hit max power.

GotLag posted:

They're not going to store power if there's no excess to store.

In case you're wondering about power, this is what those bars in the upper left are telling you. If consumption is maxed out and production isn't, that's good - it means you're using as much power as you can and you still have room to grow (you're generating excess power). If production is maxed and consumption isn't, that's bad, because it means your generators are running as hard as they can but things aren't getting enough power.

In your case, you're in the latter state, so build more generators.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

Poison capsules, grenades, construction robots.

also autoshotguns

President Ark
May 16, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

If you've got blue science online just research Military 3 and Tanks and then build a tank.

You don't even need to put ammo in it: just ram the fuckers.

poison capsules are probably easier to put together ad-hoc (coal and iron vs. actually needing a dedicated assembler for the engine blocks)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Loopoo posted:

The tank is a lifesaver. I've unlocked modular armour and all I have for a power source are the solar panels, which are next to useless. I have tonnes of batteries to keep fully charged, but I can't use my personal roboport cause it drains more power than I can make.

My metal production is stalling because I can't get a heavy enough flow of iron ore to feed the smelters, so I think what I need to do is redesign my iron smelting area and change the setup to two conveyors: one purely for iron (double loaded so it's maximally fed) and one for coal. Bit frustrating, because that means I have to dismantle the steel production facility to the left of the smelters to make room for the extra conveyors, argh.

Once I have higher metal plate production, my belts should always be full of the stuff which'll allow me to constantly be churning out blue science, instead of the current situation where there's a trickle of metal after it reaches the blue science section.

You have modular armor and you haven't switched to electric furnaces yet? :catstare:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jesus, I switch pretty much the instant I get the tech and have the plastic production necessary to make red circuits. They're more annoying to make but you save massively in terms of annoyance from not having to run coal lines to your furnaces and being able to put modules in them, both of which make it much easier to upgrade your production.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I dunno, I've never seen the appeal of electric furnaces. I've got plenty of coal, and I've got an automated train line to deliver coal to my furnaces. I've got the big chunky black ones which work well enough for me. I'd be annoyed at having to 1) spend all that time on automating loads of red circuits (that'll hamper my blue science productions) and 2) beefing up my electricity production to supply the furnaces with power.

Coal is much simpler. Maybe when I start branching out with far reaching outposts, I'll stick some electric furnaces there to help supply them with metal to produce their own ammo.

You're going to need to hugely beef up red circuits anyway, you need shitloads of them for power armor (and components), the higher-end modules, and the rocket. Replacing all the furnaces in your base is a one-time investment anyway and I'd gladly spend ~100 reds once to make my factory much easier to manage and upgrade forever.

e: for reference you need about 600 reds to make the highest-grade power armor, and that's just what you're spending to make the blue circuits - it's completely ignoring everything that goes into the 10 tier 3 modules it needs

e2: each tier 3 module takes 345 reds, so you're looking at about 4000 red circuits to make the best power armor. upgrading your furnaces doesn't seem that expensive now, does it?

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

also electricity generation with electric furnaces is a much smaller problem than you think because 1) if you're overproducing metal and the line is completely backed up they stop using power, 2) you can put green modules in them to reduce power consumption (and pollution!), and 3) you can reroute the coal it was using into another steam power block.

i think taking (3) into account it just outright is more efficient; you get more work out of 1 coal in a boiler powering steam plants than you would from 1 coal in a furnace.

e: apparently i'm wrong on that last part

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

it's pretty much useless unless it works while you're moving, because who stands still on active train tracks