Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What'd be a good video to show someone you think would be interested in this? They already like openttd etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I feel like this is a bad time to ask since there's a new version coming soon, but what mods do people run nowadays? Both gameplay addition wise and quality of life/must have mods.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Would a water version of the landfill break the game too much?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

let us just build directly on top of fladbeds even while they're moving, 10 lane wide death train.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I doubt that'd interact nicely with the placement grid, but I wonder if a factorissimo train would be feasible...

Only let the player place or remove things when train is halted in vertical or horizontal tracks, then save a snapshot of that to factorissimo when moving and load that when the train halts again. Maybe place the sprites on the train, and then link them to the animation code of the thing in the snapshot while moving? Would probably be hard to get turrets to work though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Inglonias posted:

I am slightly concerned about my current save game. It's unmodded, but what happens to the map I already have? Does it get torn apart by cliffs? Will I get the Minecraft effect? Should I just start over yet again? I'm only 10 - 13 hours in right now.

Seeing as how it's dealt with when mods add new stuff, it would only affect new chunks.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Max out cliffs, add a lot of water, now it's a challenge.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Is there a way to bypass the "Mod has no released version" thing with the ingame mod browser?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

You'd need a system that consumes 1 of these per second though.

Five laser turrets, or at least that's what it feels like.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Is there a way to filter mods by version at all?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Someone should make a mod that allows you to use biter parts to make biofuel :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Dervyn posted:

There is great program called modmyfactory, which one can use to create modpacks and thereafter shortcuts that will launch Factorio with said mods. It does filter mods by version. I don't think it is as essential as the xcom2 alternative mod launcher, but it's great for switching between vanilla and AngelsBob.

Doesn't have filters when downloading so the problem still exists.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Would anyone be up for a coop base? I feel like I'll learn faster with someone else :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

crabrock posted:

here's an island for .16 if you want it. No idea if it has enough to complete the game, but looks like it?

>>>eNptUT8sA1EYf5/rUSXSoYuExtC1IhgkpPdMBuko2Jzeq1xSd3LX
DhgYSAzEYmFhRWIziEUiERKShslGLAaCSFhIfV/7Xq9pfMn3u9/3/d7
7/rxjLMoaGWO63hrKuGYupOmRjDs3J7yk6wmMmjNewRJJ1yap0RK+8P
KapoUsu/yNCEfMzienTV9gpM94pu8jCdue68gKId90LBL9vOtQQs97Q
tCploJnOnZhlg5iyODXOvhaXokz8tIS6ymVyJEVcURyNGCACWV6Jmdn
s4x1DZMDwGLsaORxYcuAit7NJXmXmYlTmXlYlWTiUJK1c0n4riJLimx
y6CvbpxGQSq88VpZNwjwgFXGFRICN1+O974tiCn72P27T01MG2J1j6W
jhLYViE23VUIWdbbITtQFTNR8MKd0bcHNN9mKATjdiBHwA4WwUXzHah
mxvHaGrg6nRUqpMjEO2bF9qkydF7oz6PRIchqh4nOCSoNywOhlIOskr
Qnug4tVeVtveCpa7Uh3Pa1rXzZBQM/Tzf1aoyyRqHj5CfawqPGvVIfA
Fi00qwn+rscDejfHBcO4PoDmS2g==<<<

hnnng I'm so tempted to restart with this map.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 19, 2017

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Learning that science packs can be pulled out of labs, allowing you to create daisy chained labs using inserters has to be the best thing I've found out so far.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

This is how I set up mine

Also, can someone explain what FARL does for me? I know it has something to do with laying tracks, but I feel like it has to be more than that with how popular it is.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You should be able to load steam(and nuclear steam) in flamethrower turrets.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I love the different train types idea, but maybe to keep things from going insane with eleventy different trains to construct you just have a modular locomotive chassis and you can put different engine units into it.

So you have the stock burner steam engine, but like the modular power armor you can add an electric motor unit into it, or a nuke unit, or a steam unit too.

I was just thinking it would suck to have fifteen different locomotives and colliers when I want to switch out what powers them.

10 nuke units :getin:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I'm just waiting for a mod that adds flying biters(taking cues from starcraft 2's winged zerglings) and a way to craft cliffs :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

let us put chests on belts

you can wire belts into the circuit network for stop/start can't you?

you'd just need a way of reading the contents of a chest on the move

maybe little "gates" that scan the contents of anything passing through

Please, just let us put chests in artillery installations to launch stuff across the map :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Alkydere posted:

So to get a compressed belt while side loading it seems you now need to:
-load from the same color belt (red to red, blue to blue)
-load from the same color splitter if loading from a slower belt (yellow to red splitter to red)
-load from a yellow onto a single tile of blue belt to get a compressed red belt.

Survivable, but it's still weird and is the one little edge case that I hope is fixed.

Or just use this handy mod until it gets fixed: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/belt_buffer

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

https://factorioprints.com/view/-Ku5n4tLfmkZN8twwx-k I've been using this mall by mikec and it's amazing, the combinators tell you what are supposed to be on the belts.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Because I'm a horrible person that likes the idea of the angelbob ore system, anyone got a good modlist for angelbobs on .16 running?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 25, 2017

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The thing I hate about fluids is that there's only one tier of pipes, and 100 really isn't a lot.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Olesh posted:

I'm curious, because I think I know how it works but I haven't been able to confirm - the game generates chunks a certain minimum depth into the fog of war, so even if you've eliminated all visible biter bases with artillery, there's biter bases still hanging around in the unexplored perimeter already generated and sending expansion parties. When artillery shells land in or near the fog of war, those chunks are considered "explored" for the purposes of pushing the generated map boundaries, correct?

In other words, am I correct in believing that every time you fire into the fog of war you reveal tiles, you expand the generated map area and thus spawn new biter bases further away in the fog of war?

There's a mod to make shells stop exploring stuff.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Wouldn't it be better to ferry the materials and make the shells on site?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

The whole point of the game is to consume resources duder.

:perfect:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

While we're talking about mod recommendations, what would be some good mods to make enemies more interesting?(Both in terms of changing/adding to the current enemies, adding more walls and turrets, etc)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Anyone got a fun islandly seed? with Rampant I feel like I should be allowed a few natural bottlenecks :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I know I added rampant to make enemies a bit more challenging, but this is ridiculous

And I can't even find a setting to not spawn them so close to the spawn area.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I just use Loaders. :shrug:

Which really should be stock.

Rather, use Miniloaders, not Loader Redux, the former is way more UPS friendly.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Nalesh posted:

I know I added rampant to make enemies a bit more challenging, but this is ridiculous

And I can't even find a setting to not spawn them so close to the spawn area.

Found out it's RSO's spawning doing this, as far as I know I have the default options on it, why the poo poo is it spawning enemies within sight of the spawn.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Galvanik posted:

There's no mods that are really essential to make the default game playable if that's what you're asking.

Squeak Through and Factorio Reach.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

MrYenko posted:

This is exactly how I feel about angelbobs. It’s a LOT of fun, but some additional guidance in the research tree would make it even better. The multiple research requirements make it kinda tough to grasp tier jumps.

This is the only major gripe I've had with it so far(other than floatation pools being loving HUGE), going to upgrade your factory and mid way through going "Oh, this one needs something I don't have yet"

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

It doesn't have procedural generation so I couldn't care less about it yet.

It does have haunted asschecks though

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Prism tower upgrade for laser turrets when though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJj5lz0BYk

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I honestly recommend barreling and unbarreling products from oil, especially once you get drones.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I genuinely forgot that nanobots aren't stock, gotten so used to them.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

100% speedruns on long games just seem painful as gently caress, like I remember watching a highlight reel of a 100% breath of the wild speedrun a few weeks ago, unedited it was like 68 hours, only allowing two 9 hour breaks total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Are there any mods yet that make enemies actually be interesting outside of a minor nuisance?