Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
What a ripoff. All that work to build the rocket defence and all I get is a place-holder model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Thyrork posted:

You're still a winner! :neckbeard:

E: Wheres your avatar from Zephyrine?

It's a cropped down version of this image

Made by an (I believe) Russian artist who also made some WoW related art.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

If I'm reading their Friday Updates right, the first edition of multiplayer is coming on Halloween.
E: It will be a buggy, desyncing mess for anyone not on a LAN or T1 line, according to them.
E2: Gonna get my laggy factorio on :fap:

I never found myself wanting multiplayer added.

I want the combat balanced and enhanced.

I mean we have four different weapons (not counting pistols) But regardless of progression the combat shotgun outclasses the others.

And the turrets have ridiculous balance.

The Gun Turret has to be reloaded manually, twice the size of the laser turret but despite all the drawbacks it still just has a fraction of the damage of the laser turret.

The Laser Turret meanwhile doesn't use ammo. Can be placed with impunity and they don't even use power in practise. They only use quick bursts of electricity that are compensated for with accumulators.

In reality the laser turret doesn't burden your over all power grid what so ever.

Ironically the gun turret does burden your power grid if you plan to mass produce the ammunition needed to run a whole bases defence with them.

I would also like to see some way to use resources to engage the aliens mid-level. If you have Power Armour MK2 then you can clear the nests with ease but before that, clearing nests is a cumbersome mess of moving turrets around. I'd like to be able to build something that requires large amounts of fuel and metals at the expense of clearing nests. Like some sort of massive ballistic missile with a large range. Something just so I can spend my effort on clearing nests at an expense but without having to move 50 laser turrets closer and closer and then having to clean them up. Not to mention all the cable.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

The combat pass is next.

I agree that turrets need a big pass, though I'd prefer it being "Mk3 Turret is gun-type" since Mk1 turrets, fully upgraded, can already burn ammo faster than a blue-inserter can feed it.

Laser turrets can breed complacency; I lost most of a base once when I lost power while away and thus ended up with zero static defenses.

Maybe a Mk1 turret that does mediocre bullet damage and then the MK3 needs actual bullets loaded into it.

As for laser turrets. I did lose power once but that was just during an experiment to see if I could run on 45 steam engines with 200 solar panels and 182 accumulators. Didn't work all the way to morning

I would like to see many more ways to generate power. Especially ways that don't require a constant supply of water. Like mining for uranium that would be rare but could be used in nuclear power plants.

The water pipes is probably my biggest problem with power generation. That and the steam engines take up too much space for the power they generate.

By the way. Does anyone know the optimal amount of steam engines/boiler per offshore pump?

I just took a design that I knew worked and then copied it over and over. 9 engines and 12 boilers per pump.

I would also have liked to see some form of exploratory mining. More rare materials with interesting uses. Rare gems, ores, metals and compounds

Currently you attain infinity copper/iron/coal and you're set to do whatever. The first field of Iron I started near lasted for an 84 hour game for me.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 20, 2014

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Wow logistics bots really dumbs things down. I was really proud of my mousetrap-esque network of arms and conveyor belts.

Now it's just. Place a chest where it is and then a chest where it should be and if you have enough if those drone-hives then it gets there and ten times faster too.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Truga posted:

I just ignore bots, because I don't find them fun. Routing conveyors and trains is more fun, and it looks better IMO.

What about repair bots? I already have a hundred laser turrets at every little remote oil rig with double thick walls and losses are still incurred every now and then from attacks.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Neruz posted:

I know isn't it wonderful :allears:

I just wish the converybelts weren't capped at such a low speed.

They also have issues with making turns. The cargo on the belt gets stuck and scrapes against structures and it slows the whole thing down.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Neruz posted:

I haven't seen the cargo getting stuck and scraping on things but the slowdown during turns is just physics in action and is why a lot of people use faster belts on corners (a blue corner on a red straight for example), once you've gotten to the point at which you have all blue belts you're supposed to be transitioning to logistics bots which are the next upgrade from blue belts.

I think some mods introduce even faster belts than blue belts but that seems excessive to me.

I had it happen with a blue belt that turned around a electric furnace. The iron plates passing near the furnace scraped against it and slowed down. I moved the whole section of the belt one step away from the furnace and the problem stopped.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 2, 2014

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

When creating a new map. What does the "Enemies never attack first" option do? because the moment the aliens smelled pollution they attacked instantly.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Filthy Monkey posted:

As you said, if pollution reaches enemy bases, they will periodically group up and leave to attack the source of the pollution. If your turn that option on, enemies will just sit in their base until you get close enough.

I would generally not suggest using it. The game is easy enough as it is. It is easy enough to wipe out bases before your pollution reaches them.

I like to play around and build stuff before the game turns into tower defence mode.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

The only problem is that the enemies will keep leveling up, even if they're not hostile. You could reach a point where you're weapons aren't powerful enough to take on the biter nests, but you can't get any alien whatevers to research new tech because you can't down down the biters.

On my first playthrough I went about 80 hours before I started hunting for alien material thingys. I pushed towards the nests with rows of laser turrets which was frustrating but it worked.

Evilreaver posted:

Lategame has something of a problem now... Big Spitters can nearly always survive long enough to get a shot off on a turret. Even if it's only one spit per wave, that turret will eventually die if unrepaired.

At your home base, sure, you have 900 bees that will happily keep up with repairs, but it means that every single remote base needs a bees nest and repair packs, which bumps their build/maintenance cost up dramatically (most notably in playertime spent-- the most valuable resource of all)

This is a big problem for me. Every single train station, mine and oil field needs to be surrounded by laser towers and a drone hive and a chest with replacement walls and replacement laser turrets.

Often the train tracks will require little outposts as well because the aliens play pacman through my tracks if they see any.

In my opinion they should ignore train tracks. They cause no pollution and do are not any form of defensive structure that gets in the way.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

President Ark posted:

The trick to dealing with this is radars. Biters hate radars and will attempt to kill them first before anything else, so have spaced-out outposts with one radar in them to attract biters and heavily reinforce those. That will safe you from having to wall off an entire railroad track or whatever, you'll just need a couple pillboxes along its length.

You will still want to put walls around power poles to stop the odd little biter who runs off by himself, but if you're doing this you shouldn't need much more than that.

Good tip. Though I still feel that I shouldn't have to do it that way.

Trains are nifty though I have a feeling that in practise I could probably be better served by just placing conveyor belts all the way. The time saved on building and moving them around probabaly save me more time and effort in the end

That said. Trains are still really nifty. Once you finally get the system working

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 5, 2014

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Torpor posted:

This game is what I envisioned when I played Minecraft feed the beast.

Me too! Minus having to tab out to a wiki page to re-read one of the hundreds of recipes.

And the machines still run even if you walk 100 paces away from them.

Spaseman posted:

Is there a list anywhere that shows all of the products that each component is used to build?

I'm rebuilding my base with a bus system and I know that some components are used so often that they really need their own lane but others are only used to create one or two things (like copper cable) and don't need their own lanes.

Hah! Later on you'll be using more copper cable than copper plates and iron put together.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I'm doing a second playthrough now but hunting aliens is so booooring.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

Did you know the tank can straight-up run over spawners and Big Worms? :killdozer:

I can't even build that. Is that in some experimental build of the game?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

The Halloween update (indeed experimental) added tanks and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Main menu -> Options -> Other -> Enable Experimental Updates

Alright lets fire this thing up then because pushing against alien nests with laser turrets is killing my fun.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

"Small electric pole can be used as fuel."

Hah best feature ever. I have so many of those laying around.

How do the rest of you get rid of junk in this game?

I wish I had some sort of machine to recycle things in to return parts of the raw materials.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Forer posted:

sadly the only way right now to get rid of your burner inserters and burner miners is put it in a lovely chest, mouse over it and hit C to just shoot it until it explodes.

I'm perfectly ok with this for now

I used to drop them on the ground while out laying tracks but then I'd run into them a week later and wonder what's laying on the ground.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Do research towards bullet damage effect the tanks weapons?

Edit: Seems it does.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 8, 2014

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I think the aliens figured out how the tank works and are building accordingly. I need a battleship or a helicopter.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Look at the map. It's Omaha beach... I surrender.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I didn't even use trains on my second playthrough. Once I automated the construction of logistics drones and then drone hives, everything just came down to placing out the hives all over the place.

I want to get into trains but moving train stations and extending the track is such a bother.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I like the tank but I still feel that there's need of more expensive but convenient ways to wipe out nests than playing Benny Hill with a hundred large biters.

Here's an idea.

Long range ballistic missile.
20 Engines
10 Alien material thingys that drop from nests
100 Steel
200 solid fuel blocks
lots of cogs, computer chips and what not.

Fired from a silo with an unlimited range

You aim a laser designator or some such at a target and a few seconds later the missile hits it. Doing massive damage to everything for.... 50x50 blocks or some such.

The key being that it should be so expensive that it would only be viable in the end game when you're knocking out the last of your research projects and you're tired of grinding nests.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

If you have power armour 2 and enough shields then you can get hit but a train going at full speed. You lose about 80% of your health but you stop the train dead. It then has to build up speed and get going again.

Does anyone else think that the gates activate too late for the tank? You pretty much have to make a leap of faith whenever you drive towards the gate. That either it will open in the last second or you will crash into it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Neruz posted:

You realize that the tank has brakes and can slow down as it approaches the gate right?

Yes but I think the gate reacts to some part at the back of the tank so you practically have to nudge the front to it before it opens.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

How do you unscrew your drones after they picked something up?

I made the mistake of placing down a long term storage chest and every single logistics drone in the entire game picked up a random item and went for. Now they just linger on drone hives with their cargo.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Place more storage chests?

But then they take everything from every single provider chest on the entire map and put it in the storage chests.

The machines then keep working until both the provider chests and the storage chests are full again.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

If you don’t want drones to move things to storage chests, you should be using passive rather than active provider chests.

What's the difference?

Edit: I see it now.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Alright I have now replaced every single active provider chest in the entire world with passive ones.

I double checked that it worked by placing down storage chests then seeing where the bots flew off to collect for them. Then I blew up the storage chests because I wasn't going to carry any of that stuff back. 25 full storage chests later by system is now fixed.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Dred_furst posted:

secondly, use smart inserters to insert items into the drone network and limit them to a fixed amount of items in the network.

That sounds like a lot of work. Right now my drone network is a big blob of some 3000 drones that do everything. I barely even have conveyor belts any more.

Every single mining drill drills straight into a provider chest. Drones then pick up the ore and bring it to a requestor chest. Inserters then put the ore on a conveyor down to 20 Furnaces and the refined metals go on a conveyor into 30 provider chests. The drones then take the metals from there to production.

The whole thing runs exclusively on solar power.

I want to add some trains but while trains are neat they are by no means efficient when compared to the drone horde. Plus setting up trains and expanding an existing route is a big bother.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I haven't played this game in a while. Do we have nuclear weapons yet or do I still have to grind aliens Benny Hill style with the shotgun?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Filthy Monkey posted:

They added tanks a while back, which are an improvement. They are pretty good at snipering down spawners, and leading the enemies back to your wall of turret death. Endgame is still a juiced up power-armor running at a million miles per hour while vomiting capsules though.

I like the tank for travel as it has a lot of cargo and doesn't explode instantly when it rubs against a shrub. Though for deep fighting it's pretty weak in my opinion.

I would really like some alternative to use up some of these spare resources on warfare while at the same time save myself the grinding of alien nests.

Nuclear weapons seem like a good compromise. Spend a ton of resources to build a missiles and then drop a beacon on the nest to launch it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

Too big, too singular. I'd use combat androids with a drone-control APC as an alternative to the tank. Mass-produce androids and throw them at nests.

Artillery that can be aimed with a laser pointer (with mass-produced shells, plus you have to build a half-dozen howitzers) would be cool too.

Now that's brilliant.

Just something to spend vast amount of resources to counter the nest grinding tedium.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Kenlon posted:

That's actually a pretty terrible layout - you're going to run out of room drat quickly, and you have an extremely limited way to expand. I prefer the Infinitely Tessellated Tankfarm:

It can expand up (or down) and to the right forever, adding capacity for both refining and storage. Branching off chem plants from this is dead easy, too. Extend pipes out up (or down) from the leftmost set of tanks, and then use underground pipes to pull off to the side:

You can see the water tanks that feed up into the refinery farm here as well. This is a bit messy, since it's from one of my earlier fortresses, but you can get the idea from it.

That looks very un-factorio.

This is how a factorio oil refinery looks:

A right proper mess that expands where it can when it can expands like it needs.

Edit: I just downloaded a huge patch. Do we have nuclear weapons or artillery yet? Surely there must have been a lot of toys in that one.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Is the rocket launcher and flame thrower useful yet or is the combat shotgun still the only useful weapon?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Slickdrac posted:

Technically, gun turrets are now well superior to laser turrets with the sizes being equal, but both bullets and gun turrets getting upgrade bonuses.

Of course, you need to have enough resources to be able to pump enough munitions for a small country, so probably only best if used sparingly.

Are large bitters still immune to everything except piercing shotgun and lasers?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Phssthpok posted:

What if you mod turrets to accept other turrets trains as ammo?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what mine looks like.

At the top are conveyors with raw materials. Below are conveyors with processed materials and further down are four pipelines. Sulfuric acid, Petroleum, Heavy oil and water. These systems then feed into the production line as needed while the whole system can expand eastward to infinity.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

Logistic robots is a trade-off of bandwidth and parts vs belts. They take an incredible amount of different components to make whereas belts are, at it's core, just iron, gears and lubricant for the top tier. Additionally if you don't care how long a volume of things take to build then the robits are the way to go.

When I have over 5000 logistics robots I'm pretty sure they outdo belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Overwined posted:

His point is that the resources and time put in to manufacturing those 5000 robots is astronomically higher than if you used belts.

it doesn't feel like much effort. The drones pick up the ore from the sites and move them back to the factory regardless of distance as long as you have drone hives on the way to recharge them. The factory processes all the ores to build more robots. All I do is place out miners at new ore sites.

To clarify. On my latest playthrough I skipped logistics drones all together because they make the game a lot less fun but I believe they are more efficient.