Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
In my experience if you set water to 'only starting area' you get a ring of stones, the size of the ring is determined by the starting area size field.
So yeah rush grenades or AP ammo :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Gelp me i've gone crazy about busses

im bussing water for gods sake

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Moddington posted:

The transport belt changes also mean that corners no longer have lower throughput than straight sections. :woop:

CASUALS RUINING EVERYTHING

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

Because in the singleplayer campaign there usually isn't any reason to except for specific things?

I mean, I set up automated mining/smelting, because I need the raw materials, and I set up automatic crafting of ammo and research packs, because I need those in huge quantities. Likewise whatever I need for the mission objective. But most things -- turrets, weapons, transport belts, pipes, power plants, hydro poles, etc -- I need only in small quantities. It's faster to just craft them from inventory than set up a production line, and often it's even faster to craft them from inventory than it is to run back to wherever the production line would be if I had built it to empty a chest or something.

As a result of this, I do set up factories, but I have no practice at making factories that scale. All my designs are ad hoc setups of belts, inserters, and assemblers that work for what they do but can't easily be expanded to multiply production.

The campaign sucks once you pick up the basics, just play sandbox

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

concise posted:

Smart inserters and chests are both configurable and blueprint friendly. Perhaps you can emulate the way those objects handle their settings.

Think about how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to place eg 100 inserters (when making a new smelter pre-blueprints) and then have to configure them all. This way is good!
PS gotlag I like your mods!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

GotLag posted:

I've also made an entirely new mod, the Flare Stack. If you've got a hydrocarbon you can't find any other use for (maybe you need lube more than you need gas, I dunno) or maybe you just feel like making the world a brighter, dirtier place, you can now burn the oil or gas of your choice!

Thought about oil fueled power plants instead of just flare stacks? Water + oil = power + pollution, or something.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

You can just use a steam engine for that. They'll run on any liquid, not just water. You still need to heat it up to get any performance of course.
Well yeah but the advantage of this would be that it takes less space than the whole coal/inserter/boiler/steam engine shenanigans, at the cost of a more expensive resource. So you've got solar/accumulators which are space-expensive, resource-free, pollution free, steam engines which are space-medium, pollution-heavy, resource-medium, and then oil power plants which are space-cheap, pollution-heavy, resource-heavy.
OR SOMEHTING ITS JUST AN IDEA! It's just slightly more useful than flares.

e: yeah or that ^^^

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
People having trouble with burner inserters should check if they're unloading from a fast belt or a yellow belt. If it's a red belt the coal can go past so fast they have time to trigger the movement (consuming their fuel) but not enough time to pick it up. So you just see them waggling round ineffectually until they run out of fuel. This won't happen to the one inserter at the end of the line, but it can explain outages in other places

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

You're playing Factorio right. You're playing "build one rocket per minute" wrong.

well, not if those are his only two assemblers total

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

If you're at fast inserter tech and you only have 2 assemblers in your entire factory then... yeah, playin' it wrong. I just assumed they meant only 2 assemblers were making fast inserters.

One factory no-handcrafting run. every item has to be made in the sole assembler, removed and taken into inventory, then you change the recipe to make the next item and manually re-insert the ingredients. kill me.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

:psyduck: When does a run like that end? Suicide?

At what point to you just replace yourself with an AutoHotkey script and stop playing?

A strange game...the only winning move is not to play.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Looks like I might need to automate a hell of a lot more stuff, then.

This is always the answer

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

When are robots actually better/easier/more effective to use than conveyor systems?
when you're making smallish amounts of things that take a while and don't use that many resources.
eg I have medium power pole construction done via requester crate, instead of conveyors. Same for ammo (since I'm playing peaceful).

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I just console myself 3000 alien artifacts :frogbon:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dr. Stab posted:

You don't really need very many artifacts.

Each artifact makes ten science packs, and you start by researching better productivity modules to put in your purple science machine.
Actually you start by attempt to handcraft power armour 2, immediately regretting your mistake when you realize how long it'll take to handcraft 15 level 3 modules, run out to the middle of a field somewhere and set up a ghetto as gently caress module1->module2->module3 assembler patch, hook it up to a requester chest, gently caress up the requester amounts so that you end up with too many level 1s and not enough level 2s or 3s, and then notice its 2am and you have work in the morning
:smith:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I generally beeline *straight* for power armour 2/personal roboports. They just make the game more enjoyable.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Same, that's why I build those module factories.

e. Like you need shovels of blue circuits for modules, armor, and accessories. You need shovels of all the circuits for modules. So first order of business to become a power armor god is shore up your red and green to make shitloads of blue, and get modules cooking for that sweet sweet armor.
I would be a better person if I organized all of that stuff before going for power armour, but I'm not :(

I'm getting bored of my game the same place I always do, after finishing all the reasonable research but before bothering to build the rocket. Oh well. Guess it's time to play something else for a few months and then come crawling back when I get a craving for conveyor belts.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Aliquid posted:

I'm really not into sprawling factories. My ideal situation is getting just enough to consistently run one blue science building. I got two up and running in a previous game but poo poo got complex. Your second link owns.

if you've got one you may as well have 10

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Chakan posted:

That article is crazy cause I figured anyone with 15+ hours who was interested in it would've fired a rocket. I'm not downplaying the work involved, but I restarted twice then did the whole thing pretty cleanly. Are there really people that have put a whole mess of time and still haven't fired a rocket?

e: I should make clear, I'm talking more about the author, obviously the dude with 10+ launchpads and 500 hours has launched a rocket.

I've got 50 hours on steam factorio and I'd say easily ten times that in earlier versions of the game and I've never fired a rocket or built the old school rocket defense. There's no point to it, gameplay-wise, so why bother? It's obviously possible, it's not like it's a puzzle, so it's just about bothering to do it (or not). I'd rather do the stuff I find fun, ie, getting more of everything faster.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

So I was thinking of putting my industrial electricity experience to use by making a more realistic and complex electrical distribution setup. Where you getting better local area distribution (Underground service distribution) but have to build transformers and breakers in an actual substation to raise or lower the voltage for distance transmission. Or risk putting too much power through certain lines and causing brownouts/blackouts/fires.

To micromanagey? I think there are a type of people who would enjoy that.

One of the things that I enjoy about factorio is that (bugs aside) when things fall over, you don't lose anything except subsequent production. Like, if your coal mine runs out, your power goes, which means everything stops working - but if you funnel some more coal in there, everything starts churning back up. Nothing is lost, and there's no actual time pressure to get the power back - if I'd rather have my whole factory sitting powerless while I actually fix my coal supply Properly This Time, that's fine.
I think that fires and actually losing part of your factory to that sort of thing would go contrary to that and it would frustrate the hell out of me.

Aside from that, making electricity distribution another layer of logistical hurdle after basic electricity production sounds sweet.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ratzap posted:

The updated flamethrower is rather satisfying. Sadly it doesn't remove the trees when the forests burn, it leaves charred trees which you still have to harvest/shoot normally to get rid of.

that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Gibbo posted:

Never suggest big pharma, not even as a joke.
It's nowhere near bad enough for this kind of warning. Hell I'm not even sure it's bad at all! It might even be...not bad!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Loopoo posted:

Also, don't underestimate assembly machines. Get them to make you everything you use on a regular basis: inserts, belts, mining drills, turrets. The only time I don't use an assembler machine to make things is if it's really quick to make it myself and isn't used a lot (like electrical poles). It's such a nice feeling being able to dip into a chest and take items you need when you need it, instead of sitting there waiting a few minutes making the stuff.
additionally to this this: learn to use the size-limiting function of chests. Having 150 mining drills on hand when you need them is really useful. Having 2400 is not so much.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
What goals do you all set yourselves to keep the late-game interesting? I get to the "im just building modules so that I can put modules into things so I can build modules faster" stage and I just lose motivation :(

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I think decorations for your factory, or some way to customise the aesthetic, would be interesting. I'd like it because while it's the sort of thing I always totally ignore, I'd like to see what other people would come up with and how much they'd be willing to sacrifice aesthetically when eg they needed a belt to run through their beautiful garden park

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Am I remembering right that one of the dev updates said they're taking a look at biters, nests, and how it all works long term (especially for research?) or did I imagine that?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

Scrollbars aren't a UI design decision because?....

Just curious as I have seen it mentioned as I read the thread. Got the game a bit ago but have yet to have the time to sit down and actually play it. Like 95% of my Steam collection really.

PLAY IT

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

RoboJoe posted:

I've had my eye on this game for a while and a couple of weeks ago I finally gave in and bought it. It is the most amazing game I have ever played, I haven't been able to stop playing it at all because it's so addictive. I love city builders like Anno and Sim City so this really gets my logistic juice flowing.

I've managed to work out a fair bit myself and reading this topic (even though I still haven't touched the wires and logistic system beyond building huge numbers of robots and roboports), however I have a have a problem I'm not sure how I can deal with.

Near the end of my main resource bus belt, the items (copper plates right now) that I need a lot of to make other things like green circuits, are low in volume but way back near the start of the bus as they come out of the smelter area they are very high in volume, with the copper plates barely moving off the smelters because I have so many.

How can I improve this so more of the copper is getting to where it's needed further along the bus? Should I have multiple belts leading up through my base, or a dedicated line from the smelters to problem areas such as the green circuit production?

Up to you. Those are both decent solutions to your problem. A third solution is dedicated smelters for high-demand consumers, backed by dedicated mines and trains and outposts and dedicated stations and blueprinted defense posts and lasers!
the world is extremely your oyster

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

I really wish there was a mod that made the player unaffected by belts. Getting pushed around by belts is by far the most annoying thing about walking around the base.

its all worth it for the laugh i got when I was modifying a train station and the belt pushed me on to the tracks as the train arrived

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ratzap posted:

If all you get from Factorio is to build an efficient, neat factory with no extraneous parts that's sad as there's so much more to do with the available materials.
its really not. if i wanted to program I'd stay at work. with factorio I want to make giant belts full of circuits all going where I want them to and all doing what I want them to, and it is not sad at all (except in that kind of anorak-wearing trainspotting way)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

Steam thread said late March they need to make a date and stick to it.

why do they need to do this?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

Otherwise you leave your game in an incomplete state and poo poo on everyone who supported you during early access.
It's a bargain actually if you're looking to get poo poo on irl it costs a lot more than $20 so you should count your blessings

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are there any newbie guides for this game that give a general idea of the major progression milestones? I've played for a few hours and so far I have a factory putting out red and green beakers and a bunch of steel, I surrounded it with walls, and now I have a car. I also just got oil processing and presumably should do something with that, but I have no idea where I should be going from here. Blue beakers? Robots? Something else?

I feel like there are a shitton of "newbie guides" out there but they all basically show you how to get to the point I just reached and no further. I don't need a step-by-step guide for how to win, but it'd be nice to have an intermediate goal to work towards that isn't "make the rocket".

* automate red+green science
* automate blue science
* add bots
* automate l1 module production

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

I picked this up on a whim because I had been playing Idle Factory (the flash game) while I was at work, and then saw this pop up in the recently updated thing on Steam and immediately purchased it. I'm loving it so far, and I'm basically trying to teach myself rather than look up proper optimal layouts and stuff.

That said, two questions:
1) Most people streaming seem to be running the 15.5 beta, is it advised I update to that from what appears to be a version 14 build Steam installed?
2) I can't seem to get my regular electrical inserters to take things from a belt or a box and put it into an Assembler (I'm just starting the automation process). Is there a specific point it has to be next to for that? There aren't any directional arrows to clue me in like other equipment. Do they have to be long inserters because the assembler are 2x2? Do I need to use something other than an inserter?

Thanks.

1) yes
2) Not sure exactly what you mean but stuff should look like this
pre:

xx
 xx
 ^
====
x is assembler, ^ is inserter, = is belt (or box). So, no space between assembler and inserter. If that doesn't work, take a screenshot. Make sure you've hit alt so you're showing extra info.

e: other things to look at - have you got a recipe set up in the assembler? Has the inserter grabbed something that doesn't match what the assembler needs (in this case it'll just be stuck with nowhere to put the item it's holding down)?

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 30, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

widespread posted:

Welp, I'm getting back into Factorio. Got some amalgamation of Assembler 2's up for Red/Green packs, plus an excuse to use trains to go to the oil field nearby.

For some reason, I don't feel satisfied with it. I need a lot more Iron Plates for loving everything, but I need packs to research the electric furnace.

I guess, a big part of this is to stockpile at first, THEN throw everything into the automations? Because I feel stockpiling might be fine. If not a bit boring because I'd have to wait.

Don't feel the need to go to electric furnaces early; steel furnaces will see you right through the midgame. I only swap to electric when my initial patches run out (especially when I run out of coal in the starting area) and I'm reorganizing around that, or when i'm making remote smelting outposts and can't be hosed shuffling coal around. But there's no advantage whatsoever to rushing electric smelters.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

widespread posted:

Well alright, I'll go steel furnace until that point. Might just start a new world in .15.9, since new version and new poo poo and all.

I probably should learn to either save up or have as much going as possible in terms of Iron/Copper production. Anything wrong with rushing electric drills and making a lot of them in my iron deposits? Or is that just natural.

You should have so many miners that the belts going to your smelters is backed up, and you should ahve so many smelters that the belt going to your factory is backed up. And electric drills are definitely the way to go as soon as you've got electricity production going.

Just a word of advice - in general, stockpiling isn't the answer. throughput is. You'll probably want some buffer chests, so that you can run past and grab a thousand iron plates when you're building something, but the factory itself works on throughput

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

widespread posted:

I see. Definitely didn't have to look up what throughput meant. In that case, I'll just rush- or at least put more priority to- Steam Electricity, and try to clog all of my resources with miners. Or... is that not good.

Also, I guess I should learn to not really rely on the "four burning miner coal plant" thing as soon as I get electric miners, right?

so, take a step back. The entire gameplay loop of factorio is
1) have goal
2) identify problems with current setup that means goal isnt being met, or is being met poorly
3) fix those problems
Now fixing the problems you find in 3 becomes your new 1.

If your goal is steam electricity (as it usually is, in the very early game), your problems are basically going to be... getting the coal to the boilers in an automated fashion. So yeah, daisy chained coal miners will work, but they'll work very poorly. So the next obvious step would be to make electric miners, and belt the coal to the burners. Now in the process of doing this you'll probably realize that you're running out of iron for belts, and so you'll get sidetracked by making a bunch more iron miners and smelters, and so after you've got basic power going you'll hook your new coal mine up to your smelters, and then you'll realize that your coal production vastly outstrips your iron production so you'll change your iron miners to be electric, too, then you'll realize you've got brownouts because your new miners are outstripping electricity production and you'll need to go beef up your previously minimal steam power setup, and then its 3am and you've got work in a few hours.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Pornographic Memory posted:

dumb newbie question but if i'm researching something that needs multiple types of science, can i run different science packs into different labs, or do the science packs all need to go into the same labs? like if i am researching something that needs green, blue, and military science packs, can i run the military packs into their own labs while the red and green go to different labs?

same labs. they work exactly like assemblers - once it has all the ingredients, it will start producing

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Truga posted:

Put a massive square of concrete down, make a blueprint out of it, stamp that a few times, make a blueprint out of that, then use that to stamp out concrete.

that still uses bots which is really slow if you're talking tens of thousands of concrete bits :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
This is worth considering for unloading

I guess it would work (not very well balanced) for loading, too, if you added splitters etc.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 8, 2017