Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think you tap m for the map, and then hold either ctrl or alt to show pollution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Filthy Monkey posted:

Do idle factories still consume electricity and pollute, or do they go offline?

Offline as far as I can tell. I had a mining complex that filled up all its chests and the pollution dropped to zero.

When I emptied out the chests, pollution exploded.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rent posted:

No, everything has power. Surely I'm loving something up.

Have you tried rotating the arm 360 and picking up the box and put it back down?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is it normal for biter nest clusters to be enormous with like 50-100 spawners?

How do you kill that? Flamethrowers and power armor?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Stevefin posted:

My first fully (nearly) automated set up. not very pretty to look at compared to others. But this is the first working one where I did not gently caress up something and only find out after it was too late to fix it

There's a few things you can do that'll really simplify things for you.
First, stick a furnace right on the output of your iron or copper mines. You don't need an inserter, it'll pop straight in.
Second, have two conveyor belts going by the furnace. The close one will be for the plates coming out of the furnace. The far one comes from the coal mine and you use a long handled furnace to pump it in.

This isn't the end, there's even better ways to do it, but this should be really useful to you right now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just found out that if you have an improved version of something, like a fast inserter or a lvl 2 assembler, you can plop it right on top of the old one and it'll swap them. It'll keep the old settings.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GotDonuts posted:

Here is my first attempt at a factory, if you have any pointers on how I can make it more effiecent I would appreciate it. I started with peaceful mode as I have no loving clue as to what I am doing 90% of the time, I am just excited to have finally got green lab potions being made.

Eliminate the loop at your labs, it'll just screw things up.
The inserters always place on the far side of the tracks but when there's a curve it gets screwy, reroute the tracks like shown.
You should end up with two halves of the belt, one red one green. When one side fills up, the factories stop building and that's ok.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GotDonuts posted:

That did make a hell of a difference, the bottles now dont get all mixed up wierdly, odd that the bend before the lab portion keeps the bottle on the same side. I tried to remove it and it started mixing bottles again.

The inserter tries to put things on the far end of the belt, but on a curve, that ends up being the wrong side.
You could also rearrange the power pole and move the inserter up by one square and that'll let you remove the bend, but I'd keep it because if you want to add another bottle factory it'll be simple to just extend the belts.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Any ideas on what combinations of modules work best?

Also, does heating up fluids other than water have any point, other than to make number go up?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rapner posted:

Is there a prettier way to put items on the close side of the belt?

If you plan on continuing that belt and putting more green factories that will need the near side of the belt, no.
I recommend just putting them on them on the nearside and then dumping it all at the end like this:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Evilreaver posted:

You should see my Wire bill, it can spike up to 6000/minute. (Hit P)
parts for the parts god

That is handy!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

VenusInFurries posted:

I would not recommend setting it to 100, given that 100% in the files is 1, it might just break the game.

At 100 the biters start crawling out of your monitor.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

boo_radley posted:

Deconstruction planners will command your bots to chop down trees! This changes everything!

They're very fast too, instant chopping!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I have successfully automated logistics bots buildings each other. Now if only I could get them to fly when taken out of a box by a grabber.

Can they be loaded into a roboport via inserter?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think, like everything else I'm the game, it should be easy and reliable once it's set up, but getting set up is the challenge.

You could have a reactor that produces waste that has to be piped away or stored in barrels but can be recycled back into fuel by another building. Recycling can be slow so you either need to have storage for the waste fuel or a huge complex devoted to recycling.

Once you're set up, you've got a cheap and powerful energy source that produces a small amount of pollution.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Neruz posted:

I believe he is using splitters instead of having corners at all because a splitter is faster than a corner.

You're looking at the part where he's shifting a belt a few squares to the left using splitters, but if you look up at the wire conveyors you can see how he uses splitters to push more around corners.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Xel posted:

Oil refinery takes 5 ingredients so you can't automate them with assemblers. :argh:

I guess we need level 4 assemblers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Finally, true protection against sandworms.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FISHMANPET posted:

They "fixed" this so it no longer item bombs, you just aren't able to mine the chest.

This should be a setting that the host chooses.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Michaellaneous posted:

2. You got logistics in the middle of nowhere?

I usually use logistics bots for that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes but logistics bots need an active robotport or did I miss something?

Use logistics robots to place roboports. Everything is logistics bots

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mearn posted:

If a Steam release gets us a workshop mod that changes the train texture to Thomas, I'm nothing but supportive.

Just as long as it isn't Grumpy old Gordon. Ugh.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Foehammer posted:

You guys might be interested in Big Pharma: http://bigpharmagame.com/

Scratches a lot of the same itches.

Nooooooooo

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you've started and stopped a few times, I'd recommend cheesing it with a megabus.

It's an inefficient way to go, but it'll get the job done.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lorini posted:

So how do you cheese it with a megabus?

I'm posting mobile so I can't draw a diagram but I'm sure there are a few pictures in the thread.

I'll try to put something up later today if it's still not clear.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm planning this in my head, but to start, I would make a long stretch of belt, East to West for coal. Put a chest at the end if you want, but you don't have to.

Now make a belt right under it for copper plates. Then do one for iron plates.

Just keep stacking these belts so you have one for every resource.

The trick is when you want to tap a belt for an intermediate product.

Using a combination of tunnels and splitters, have half of the production for the required lines go north, extend the belts a little more than you think is necessary to leave room for expansion. Set up the factories and then have the outputs tunnel south until they get to the last belt, and now you have another bus line.

Just keep doing this and you'll have a giant bus with one belt for every single type of resource in the game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Breetai posted:

some people want there to be a completed end goal and that's fine. Buy it, or don't.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Invisible ghost trains.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if there are specific video game grants, but there are countless tax breaks for video game companies at every level from the city up to the Federal level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/technology/rich-tax-breaks-bolster-video-game-makers.html

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lorini posted:

Thanks!! :)

This game is really really challenging to me, I don't have a particularly logical mind but I keep coming back to it. Finally got automated green science working.

Don't worry, you'll get better with practice! Some of the screenshots you see might be intimidating, but realize that they aren't necessarily 'typical' play, they're often exceptional examples.

Have you tried making a mega-bus to simplify your supply chain? Once you learn the basics of the bus, you can get some huge production chains going and still have a lot of room to perfect the subsections.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I like the idea of filling a train with tracks, walls, lasers and power lines and just sending it off to make a wall for as far as it can go.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Need a big Bertha Cannon that shoots pavement splotches.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Factorio IRL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

T-man posted:

The worst thing is that they added sound effects. Those machines don't really make Portal sounds. :doom:

Do you know that for a fact? Like do you work there or something?
Because they did put aperture decals on some of the robots. They may actually have added sound effects.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Someone had a beautiful chemical plant somewhere in the thread. Anyone remember who made it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Evilreaver posted:

Mighta been me... Lemme dig it up

edit: Might mean this (I have a better design since, but I don't see my pics of it argh)

Yep!
Thank you!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's a really neat trailer.

I think they do a good job of not scaring people too much.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Did they ever explain why they're charging $20.00 for the game instead of $19.99?

It actually sorta makes them stand out on the store page. Maybe it's a good thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just picturing a giant pile of robots at exactly 1KM away from the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a matter of personal taste, I like to expand horizontally.

I would try to design that science factory in a way that's modular, so that if you want to increase your production, you can just expand.
I'd have the science go onto a belt, and then from the belt, the inserters put science into the research dome, that way you can add more research domes and have them all fed from the same belt.

Otherwise, you're doing well.