Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I really like the movie Outbreak, but something that has bothered me for a loooong time is that even though the virus comes from Africa, it does so on a capuccin monkey, which is an American species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Bippie Mishap posted:

Also no one who works in a lab would never slow down the centrifuge like that. Bothered me too.

Yeah, that's even worse. He didn't slow it down, he just opened it, while still moving, and shoved his hand inside.

Still, I love the movie. I've been watching a bunch of infection-related movies, any suggestions? (already on queue The Crazies)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Considering that Bond kills shitload of people, I don't see why choking a woman would be any worse.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I watched the French horror movie Inside recently. It started off really creepy, and then just became a lovely slasher.
It bothered me that after having a woman try to break a window to enter her house, she goes into a dark room to develop her pictures, instead of just getting the gently caress out of the house.
The whole idea that she didn't know that someone survived the crash was also loving stupid.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I watched Edge of Darkness.
At the very beginning Mel Gibson goes to the pathologist to identify the body of his daughter. I'm pretty sure that this is not part of the procedure when the body was been identified by other methods, as well as a shitload of people.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

In the original RoboCop he also shoots a hostage taker through the victim's skirt.

Edit. I should have refreshed this tab. 😢

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

Yes, but Rome was in decline before the sack. As levels of training and discipline fell in the legions they stopped wearing the cuirass as part of their standard armour; this happened some time around 390AD. This made them more vulnerable to assault by archers, which caused the loss of the Gothic campaign and led directly into the sack of Rome by the Goths in 410AD. So it actually took less time for the Roman Empire to abandon its best equipment.

Do you have a book on this? The story sounds fascinating.

.. The Romans, not star wars

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

In Gone Girl, when Amy is using a computer to Google the situation, she's using Windows 95 and Internet Explorer.
Somehow all the sites load just fine.

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Oct 14, 2014

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Because my girlfriend and I are clearly gluttons for punishment, we've been watching the latest American Horror story season.

Besides the fact that so far the story is terrible and most characters are annoying, I'm incredibly annoyed by Jessica Lange's accent. She's supposed to be a German immigrant and yet she sounds nothing like a German speaking English (I work in an English speaking German company, where most of the staff is German, and nobody sounds like this).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Just watched Arlington Road. I really enjoyed the movie but

1. Terrorists group don't commit acts of terror and let them be. They claim responsibility because otherwise it's pointless. Here the terrorist group just gets others to blow poo poo up, but never shares a reason or a manifesto.
2. I feel like they ran out of time and just wrote the ending in a hurry. The mentions of "godless" societies is pretty ridiculous... I don't know, at least throw in abortion or something.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

There was some discussion about The Walking Dead before, so let's bring that back.
In the mid season finale, Beth dies a completely pointless death. It honestly feels like they just had a cast that was too big and decided to kill SOMEONE. It was such a stupid thing to do, what did she think was going to happen if she stabbed the cop lady? Even in the best case scenario, shots would be fired and maybe some of her friends would be killed.
Also the fact that she got shot so perfectly is stupid.

Finally, the lesbian girl is a completely pointless character.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

The midseason finale is entirely rationally irritating. It was stupid as hell. I like how Maggie is so devastated but a casual fan could have no idea they were even sisters if they started watching after season 2.

I honestly like the show, but this ending really bothered me. It made no sense that Beth acted that way.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My girlfriend insisted that Sherlock was great (she's, thankfully, not into the fandom or any of the actors) so I gave it a shot.
While I liked the first episode, from that point on it seemed like it got campier and dumber. I'm really bothered by the fact that it seems to be that TV and films can't make a 'genius' unless they make him socially retarded.
I mean, Sherlock clearly suffers from. autism in this show. I think I read here that in the Imitation Game Cumberbatch also took that "retarded genius" approach, although I wouldn't know.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Sherlock says he's a functioning. Sociopath, but it's clear he's autistic.

Another problem with Sherlock, and many shows and movies...

"we're not so different, you and I".

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I'm probably the only person whose favourite version of the theme song was the one Steve Earle did for the fifth season.

I didn't like any of the versions, but I truly hated the one from the second season. That singing sounds like he's passing a kidney stone.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Kramdar posted:

Don't watch the last episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show!

I was going to post about the same thing.

Also, don't watch that show at all. That last season was loving horrible.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

But how could she be a latina? She wasn't wearing a sombrero or eating tacos?!

I tend to confuse people like this, having been born in Latin America and being Caucasian.
I try to wear sombreros and silk shirts as much as possible, but sometimes I just forget. I hope I don't irritate too many people for not being a walking stereotype. 😢

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I watched Hitchcock's [b] Rear Window [\b] today, and while I enjoyed the movie the ending bothered me.
the fact that the killer was delayed by being blinded with the flash strobes was just too loving stupid.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

I've used those bulbs, they're much brighter than any consumer-grade electronic flash these days -- at 8-10 feet, they're 4 times as bright as the brightest sunlit day.

If anything, he's not blinded enough.

I can believe being blinded by it, but they did it like 4 times. At no point after the first one, or,second one, or third one, did he think closing his eyes, covering his eyes or, you know, running towards the guy instead of walking very slowly and ominously.

I really liked the movie, I just felt that part was silky.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I went ahead and finally watched Looper.

I get that in the future they have a hard time DISPOSING of bodies, but why wouldn't they just kill them in the future and just send a corpse to be buried in the past? The whole scene when Bruce Willis escapes in the future involves him getting shot at, so I guess they can kill if they need.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CJacobs posted:

They also just straight up shoot his wife in the gut and kill her almost immediately after stunning Bruce Willis with their stun thingy because they've just gotten off of explaining how nobody can get away with killing anybody in the future.

Looper is not a very smart movie.

Haha, right, I has forgotten that part. I also thought it was odd when I watched it.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I will honestly sincerely accept this as the truth just because it makes the movie a little better (it desperately needs it).

I know it would have been cheap to just put it in a throwaway line, but at least mentioning this happening would make it more plausible. I guess I just don't have that much faith in the movie after some of the stuff it pulls later.

Looper is basically the equivalent of Dark Souls in the "PYF Thing Dragging This Game Down" thread: As soon as someone brings it up a single time, people will flock to post about it even if they've already done so in the past. It's just how fluid discussions on an internet forum work :shrug:

I'm sorry, but I really just watched it. :sadwave:

I even kind of liked the film.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It's also explained that the Rainmarker's so powerful, he doesn't give a poo poo anymore. You can't arrest a telekinetic god. That's why he's shutting down the Loopers.

The problem is that by that standard sending the loopers back makes even less sense, since he could just kill them there and then.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't send the message to them though.

It'd be a better message "don't be paranoid, we won't kill you in the future."
Then they wouldn't see it coming

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

Sometimes they do the "these guys are both so goddamn good that if one of them moves enough to fire, the other will be able to react and fire back, resulting in mutual destruction" thing. Which is still garbage.

I would certainly love to see a climactic action sequence where after mowing through all the mooks and the evil lair exploding all around him, the hero sees the villain in retreat, has a shot, and takes the shot. No standoff, no monologuing, just capitalizing on an opportunity. There are a myriad of other ways to create dramatic tension in the climax; the hero could still have to escape the disintegrating lair, or figure out how to cancel the nuclear missile launch, or an object of rescue could be in peril with no clear way to get to them.

Even though Shoot Em Up is not supposed to be taken seriously, it was the failure to just shoot the bad guy, over and over again, that bothered me.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Since there has been a lot of discussion about good and bad action scenes, u recommend everyone watches The Raid: Redemption. It's a very solid movie with great action sequences. True, their machine-guns never seem to run out of bullets, but it's otherwise pretty drat awesome.

As for batman, I feel that even though they were good, only Heath Ledger's performance will outlive the trilogy. Everything else was pretty forgettable.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

It is such a pet peeve of mine when people get the racist asian accent wrong. You replace the Ls with Rs, not the other way around!

Also, this is a little bit racist

I think you got it backwards. Chinese people have a problem with the R sound, not with the L, which is cooling in Chinese.

I'm watching The Raid 2, and while I enjoy it, the two deaf ultimate badass invincible killing machines were just lovely. I didn't need that.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

ChogsEnhour posted:

Likewise. I got into a bit of a spat with a pal of mine over this too. Within the movie universe I can accept and understand a dude being super badass and kicking all kinds of rear end. Then you have these two who have almost super-powered abilities beyond anything you've seen before. A guy who can kill people with a pin-point precision baseball.

His argument was, "Did you SEE the car chase/Mad Dog2/Prison/Whatever scene? That's just as unbelievable!"

And yes, it is. The whole film is unbelievable. All action films are on some level. But having these mini-bosses with gimmick super-poweres would seem more at home in something like Hobo With A Shotgun.

Still love the film and I'm over it now. Just when I first saw it I was confused as to the more comic book direction it went in.

Calling it mini bosses is really spot on. It also didn't help that they had no back story or any other info about them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Arrath posted:

Some writer got high and thought that the Twins from Breaking Bad were cool but not badass enough. Tada. The gently caress is backstory?

They really did seem like an afterthought, and that almost no time was devoted to them on the script.
Like another poster said, it's obvious that a movie like this requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, so it's not so much about them being "not realistic". It's about them just coming out of nowhere, having no connection to the main plot, and adding nothing to further the story.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

On a different note, I just watched Citizen Four and, Jesus, Laura Poitras should have hired an editor.
The movie got a well deserved Oscar because of what Snowden did, but the documentary was so terrible. Several parts could have been cut down, and many topics should have been presented in a manner that allowed people to understand exactly what Snowden revealed.
Basically, she needs to watch more Errol Morris' documentaries.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Would you all shut the gently caress up about Harry Potter? Just when you dropped the loving discussion about comic heroes you move to goddamn child wizards.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

Why, certainly we shall stop talking about moments that irritated us in these child wizard movies. That's not at all what the PYF Irritating Movie Moments thread is for.

You're debating the merits of the fictional sport of quidditch (book and movies) for three pages. It's not an irrational irritation, at this point it's a sign of a mental disorder.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Woah what a wakeup call, I had no idea that's what was going on until you made this post. Thanks for explaining it.

Nothing against Potter, it's just that we had just finished with the nerds sperging about Galactus. ..

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

This thread might just not be right for you.

But I like to sperg about things :( just in slightly lower doses.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

In John Carpenter's The Thing, why does MacReady wear that huge loving hat all the time?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Pneub posted:

Actual real-world answer: Kurt Russel said it looked stupid, so John Carpenter made him keep wearing it to gently caress with him.

Please tell me you have a source for this, because I love this story.

---

In the latest episode of The Walking Dead I was reminded of a very annoying trope in movies and TV shows: The rear end in a top hat.

You know, when the writers didn't really feel like making a character that wasn't basically a one-sided caricature, and just made someone who was completely obnoxious from the get-go, so as to make his imminent death not only tolerable, but actually welcomed. This was pretty common in coming-of-age movies in the 80s and 90s (don't know about the new ones, since I'm past my coming-of-age period anyway) where "the girl" is dating an rear end in a top hat who seems to have no redeeming qualities. I'm actually pretty sure that the idea of "the nice guy" comes straight from this movie trope, and not so much from real-world experience.

I mean, I don't expect gigantic complexity in characters of a TV show where pretty much everyone except the main character is disposable but, come on, at least make them a little bit two-dimensional.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

About the Matrix, it always bothered me that the blue and red pills made no sense.

If neo is IN the matrix, the taking the pill is nothing but him imagining he's taking something that was created by The Matrix. By that logic, the fact that the red pill allowed his body to be tracked made absolutely no sense (not to mention how lucky they were that the body was at a driving distance).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Imagined posted:

Just like the idiots who idolize Tony Montana from Scarface.

FratBoyDormPoster.jpg

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Or the girls who want to be swooned by the Phantom of the Opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Or the guys who think Full Metal Jacket is about how badass the army is.