Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

My rationally irritating moment is from Netflix's Wet Hot American Summer series. The movie was great, as were the first 2 episodes. Starting with episode 3, though, I feel like I'm watching a Wayans Bros."Movie" movie.

Are you suggesting The Falcon isn't a serious character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The old Star Trek movies had glittery aliens and I don't know what else because I didn't watch them. The new ones had car chases and explosions.

Pretty sure we know which ones are better.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Esroc posted:

Because movies are still mostly developed at the whims of executives who are too old to realize that 80% of the people watching them already know the story and that the other 20% have internet access if they're curious. So these executives are convinced that if they don't redo the origin story and beat that poo poo into your head everyone will be confused and not like their movie.

All-Star Superman did a known origin story the right way.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Get out of here, I'll hold them off!"

Person stands there for the entire fight, watches other person die, yells "NO!", entire army or giant monster or whatever notices them and chases, barely makes it out alive.

Way to honor that sacrifice, prick.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cornuto posted:

A man is eating food in a diner. Ben Kingsley walks up to him and shows him spooky photos. The first man tells Ben Kingsley that he's hosed up. Ben Kingsley watches as the man leaves the diner. The man gets directly into his car and drives off. The camera focuses on the man driving. Half of the shot is focused on the back seat. "No," I say to myself, "they aren't going to do it. There is no way the director is going to ask us to believe Ben Kingsley snuck into the back seat." But he did, and Ben Kingsley delivers a super badass line of dialogue just so we know what a truely terrifying badass he is.

This was the first scene of "Suspect Zero." It was as far as I could get.

There was a scene in that new Dracula is a Superman movie where a guy tosses Dracula's wife off a tower and then kidnaps his son and heads down the tower stairs. Dracula uses his badass superman powers to fly down there like a bat and catches her and then lands on the ground. He lands just in time to see the guy riding off with his son in the distance.

The guy made it down the stairs and rode away faster than Dracula could fall the same distance down.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vulpes posted:

In fact as a villain, it's notable that he simply seems disappointed, rather than angry. Especially since Nux just lost his gun.

To be fair he seems pretty ok sending his brainwashed army to their deaths and trains them to believe that dying for him is the greatest honor.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
When terrorists call cell phones to make bombs go off do they say goodbye before hanging up?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

Here's a stupid one. I was watching Star Wars with my 4.5 year old. First time I'd seen it in forever.

How does R2D2 get around? Seems like even on tatoonie, which is all sand, there'd be a rocky obstacle at sone point. Wouldn't he be hosed? Even getting traction in sand can be difficult. And are there no stairs in the Star Wars universe? A simple raised platform in a spaceship would have him effectively stuck.

Uhh R2D2 has rocket jets dude. They show em in the prequels.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, there's my answer then. Of the prequels, I only ever saw Phantom Menace, and that was enough. I knew I was skewering a sacred cow and opening a can of worms going after Star Wars when I posted it.

All I know about Star Wars is from watching the movies a couple times and playing some of the video games. Then along come the hyper nerds to make me feel ashamed about even doing that.

I'm laughing too hard at the breasts one though.

quote:

T'ra Saa, a tree with pronounced breasts.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

In like, the trailers? Do they put that into the actual films now?

Good horror movies that show the audience during the movie: Gremlins 2
Bad horror movies that don't: all the rest

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I personally can't sleep at all unless I have my hands jammed between Steve Martin's butt cheeks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

The Steve Martin, or some random dude whose ID reads 'Steve Martin'?

Any Steve Martin will do.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

How did humans understand morse code? It wouldn't be too hard to memorize a new language.

I ain't gonna press 1 for Bleep Bloop this is Naboo we speak English.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Apparently the guy who played Jean-Ralphio in Parks and Rec helped with BB-8's voice so I like to imagine he's just repeating lines from the show. "I hope you brought a change of clothes cause your eyes are about to piss tears."

oldpainless posted:

Also chewbacca and 3PO loving suck

Chewbacca rules, you suck oldpainless :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Firstborn posted:

I didn't even know it was broken. It could've happened in another part of the movie, I guess. It's just strange they didn't give Phasma more to do. That's all.
E: Properly spoiler tagged for the 3 hermits that haven't seen this movie 5 times yet.

Hopefully she's a bigger part of the next one. Why hire a big name actor and only give her a few scenes otherwise?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Armyman25 posted:

I missed this one when I was growing up, so I have no nostalgia for it. The actors do a good job of giving a realistic depiction of kids, it's just that kids are loud, annoying, and not nearly as clever as they think they are.

That said, the movie did spawn an incredible Cyndi Lauper music video, featuring Andre the Giant, Captain Lou Albano, the Iron Sheik, and Roddy Piper looking like Donald Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxLhytQ67fs

Why didn't they get the Million Dollar Man to play the rich guy this video makes no sense. Volkoff milking a cow is perfect, however, and I will not hear a bad word said about him.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

They're gonna fight a monster? and then it'll get big and they'll fight it in a robot?

This also describes my sex life. Pretty formulaic too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

There's an app called runpee that gives you good times to go to the bathroom and tells you if there is anything after the credits. It's pretty good.

I'll probably be on my phone in the theater anyway so this is perfect.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

AFewBricksShy posted:

One of the things that bugs me is the "cliche demon eye reveal". There's really no reason they have to do it every time a demon shows up.

If you could make your eyes go black by blinking wouldn't you do it to really freak people out?

Also Supernatural dedicated an entire season to dick jokes and I appreciate that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

The demon angel stuff is still pretty good but a lot of that is the charisma of the actors more than the story lines. Up til the end of season 5 is pretty good but there's a noticeable drop after that for a few seasons. Individual episode wise it's still good but there's an obvious quality missing to the show. However the show always has pretty hot chicks.

Source: family members love supernatural so ive seen every episode at least twice

You can admit to watching Supernatural I follow you on tumblr.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyone who believes this is the source of my irrational irritation, those are the best ones (although the latest season or two are back to being pretty good). Another is the fact that they still haven't resolved the brother in Lucifer's cage from the end of season 5 , and have only mentioned as a joke in the 200th episode, 5 seasons later. It made you think maybe they'd remember that thing and try and do something about it, but nope, back to not caring. I have heard one possibly reasonable explanation that it's not him, just his body in there...but still, you'd think they'd want to at least check to see if that is true. For a show that is supposedly about doing everything for your family to the point of stupidity and selling their souls right and left it seems out of character for everybody.

Of course they showed the cage that Lucifer and Michael were supposed to be in, and Lucifer was alone. So where the hell is Michael and their bro?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It all makes sense when you realize God is just loving with everyone to sell more books.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Mar 10, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spider-Man is a giant nerd and dumb bad quips is the only way he can survive his constant angst about selling his wife to the devil.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tunicate posted:

Not in Newspaper Spiderman continuity!

Spider-Verse got me back into comic books. I got the online subscription thing to Marvel just so I could see more Gwen and Spider-Ham (who is a spider that got bitten by a radioactive pig, which is why he feels no remorse for loving the taste of pork).

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Mar 14, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

Everyone relates to Spider-Trump.

On topic I don't like when someone's remembering something, and it flashes to their memories, and they're in the third person. I don't remember in sweeping camera shots of myself in a field!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

My IIRM is that Braveheart forever ruined scenes like that for me. The FREEDOM speech was just so powerful to me as a child that every similar rousing speech before a big battle just pales in comparison. 300 did OK by being plain about it and the big rousing speech amounted to "Tonight we will gently caress THEIR poo poo UP!"

Same but Independence Day.

Ain't nothin' gonna match up with TODAY IS OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gorilla Salad posted:

EDIT: Thanos: Not a pedo.

Comic book artists, "kids are just real short adults right?"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
To be fair, loving up relationships in spectacular fashions is one of Matt's superpowers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Matt Murdock made out with Spider-Man's ex girlfriend on a roof top while Spider-Man was watching.

He knew Spidey was there, he has crazy sonar sense, he knew it. Daredevil gets off on this poo poo.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Mar 23, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm kinda thinking that pepper spray is probably the best thing to ever use against Daredevil.

Better than Professor Xavier's weakness.

But Daredevil's powers don't make a lot of sense anyway. One of his things is that he can take a punch, really take a drat beating. Yet his touch is sensitive enough that he doesn't need braille to read, he can feel the raised ink on the page. So really a slap should send him to the hospital in agony.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Season 2 has King Shark so it's automatically my favorite show.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
All police are terrible shots though. In Spider-Man 2 Doctor Octopus was stealing money from a bank and throwing old ladies around and the police shot at him like 80 times and missed every one. He didn't even have crazy spider sense they just couldn't hit this dude.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ryoshi posted:

Then Peter completely fails to get into his own body and dies to Doc Ock's cancer. Ock runs around as Spider-Man for far too long.

For as much as everyone loves him, most of Spider-Man's major comic plot lines are really, really bad.

Doc Ock as Spider-Man was great because he'd still spout off supervillain monologues at other heroes and was super condescending to everyone.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Taeke posted:

I was totally hooked for the first 3/4th of the season. She was cool and mysterious, the Punisher was awesome and I loved his trial, jailtime, escape and subsequent mayhem but it really fell apart in the last 3 or 4 episodes, to the point that I found myself doing other things while watching. I guess all the conspiracy/supernatural ancient assasin stuff felt out of place somehow. The first season set the whole Daredevil thing up as a street-level vigilante fighting comporate corruption and organised crime, you know? Things a blind albeit super skilled hero could deal with. A centuries old organisation of respawning ninjas seems like something the more powerful superheroes should deal with. Hell, they'd pose a challenge to the Avengers if they played their cards right.

Such a shame. I loved Jessica Jones for being and staying low key.

Fun fact: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were based off the darkety dark Daredevil stuff from Frank Miller, going so far as to have the same accident that gave Daredevil his powers also create the turtles. Daredevil's main villain group is The Hand. TMNT, of course, fight The Foot.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Zodiac peeve:

Jake Gyllenhaal's character doesn't age a day in fifteen-ish years, yet Michael Mageau is played by two different people even though he's 19 when he's introduced.

And that's the only thing that bothered me. What a fantastic movie.

What bothered me was Ted Cruz wasn't in that movie at all?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Request: Railings over these giant bottomless pits.
Response: Railings are insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Request: Some sights for our guns so we don't have to shoot from the hip all the time.
Response: Sights are insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Supernatural Season 10. The brothers have both been to hell, heaven, stopped the apocalypse, killed Death, and done all sorts of other ridiculous power creepy things. But Frankensteins? Those can't be real!

The angels thing I can understand. They didn't believe they were real because books and poo poo specifically said they weren't. But, yeah, after that the books go out the window.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, they've seen demons, they've fought demons, and there's a shitton of lore about demons and how to exorcise them and whatnot.

On the flip side, the last time an angel was seen on earth, Sodom was getting blasted to poo poo and Gabriel was telling Mary she was preggers. After that, squat.

It'd be like if you were walking in the woods, and someone came out and told you they'd seen a unicorn. We know they don't exist, no one has seen them, there's no history of them being seen, but dammit this dude SWEARS it was a unicorn. Would you believe him?

Hell, the demons live in Hell and some of em don't believe in the Devil because they'd never seen him.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

That's pretty funny.

Nah, it's Uriel who's the funniest angel in the garrison. Just ask anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

The show is intentionally funny. It's not a comedy, but there's lots of joking.

They do amazing gimmick episodes too.

There's a running joke where a side character has visions of their jobs, and is writing a cheesy Goosebumps-esque series about them. Each episode is a book in the series. They go to a hotel that happens to be hosting a convention to investigate... a ghost I think? I forget exactly. But the con guests constantly poo poo on their crappy Sam and Dean costumes, and the episode is an opportunity for them to address some of their crazy fan stuff.

There was one where they were transported to another dimension. Ours. So they become the actors who play them. This leads to them doing poo poo like spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on occult poo poo and one of the writers and actors getting straight up murdered by a crazy angel who figures out he doesn't have power here so he goes and buys some guns. Basically the show doesn't take itself seriously at all.

Edit: Also one of the actors married a major villain from the show in real life so that came up.