Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I just binged on this thread start to finish over the last couple of days.

I, uh, I don't recommend such a condensed pace.

For content: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34857015

Basically all of our antibiotics will become ineffective and medicine will regress to pre-penicillin levels.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I'm starting to NOT LIKE these Nazi guys everyone is posting about!

It really weirds me out that there was this dude who was loving sewing people together, and still there are people who are like "yknow the nazis had some good ideas"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Vulpes posted:

TBF American doctors have done some pretty despicable poo poo in the name of science as well. But yeah, the Nazis weren't great role models.

Yeah, but we at least pretend to disapprove that sort of behavior.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jedit posted:

I'm told there was a lot of data taken out of the concentration camp laboratories that was invaluable to medical science, but nobody could get it any other way because it required being a monster.

That issue has always been interesting to me, because while I can see the argument that using the data in some way legitimizes what was done, on the other hand none of what happened can be undone and if any of that information can be used to save lives, isn't it worth it to try and turn what was wickedly done to some good end?

Anyway, don't trust Big Pharma is what I'm trying to say.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TampaTango posted:

They make the trains run on time. People justify past cooperation with regimes by only remembering how well things worked, not how many people disappeared. What chills me the most were the killing of defectives by the Nazis. Anyone could be called genetically defective.

This is usually pretty exaggerated by propaganda though. Mussolini, who that phrase is associated with, definitely didn't keep the trains running on time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That's sad, but also really noble at the same time. I'm sure I'd totally lose it in that situation so I'm always really impressed by stories where someone has the presence of mind to use the last moments they have to as much utility as they can.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Jesus Christ, how are both sides of this argument so goddamn annoying? Does anyone have any more crazy disappearances or kidnappings? Hell, even a sleep paralysis story would be a nice change at this point.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

bean_shadow posted:

Chimeras/Human Chimeras

Prions. PROtein InfectION. Causes Mad Cow Disease, scabbies in sheep, Kuru the Laughing Disease, and Fatal Familial Insomnia. They can be dormant in people for decades before rapidly killing you by creating holes in your brain (spongiform encephalopathy).

There's the good poo poo.

FFI is terrifying to think about even if it's ultra-rare. And of course it's the first thing I think about whenever I have insomnia because I'm paranoid like that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rondette posted:

This also happens in modern day although mainly through neglect :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)

In this case though, it sounds like the children would be together, just isolated from adults, so hopefully that wouldn't just turn out a pack of feral children.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

If someone can tell me why this doesn't spell extinction for our species I would really REALLY appreciate it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Control Volume posted:

Because it's e. coli

Right, but isn't it only a relatively short amount of time before it hops into something worse? And then aren't we hosed?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Control Volume posted:

Sorry it's going to digivolve into the ebola and murder everyone.

So what you're telling me is that the risk of entering into a so-called "post-antibiotic era" where we are powerless to fight of bacterial infections is being overblown by the media, and that while it is a bit alarming that this strain is resistant to everything, I should have every reason to believe that the international medical community is pretty much agreed on what we need to do and will be on top of this?

Am I getting the right idea here?

EDIT:

Ah, thanks for that!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jedit posted:

What do you think would happen in the US if you walked through a Jewish area wearing a t-shirt that read "Kikes did 9/11, bring back the gas chambers"?

I guess you *might* be able to make a case that the shirt in your hypothetical is calling for violent action against Jewish people, which would not be protected speech.

But that sounds like a pretty hard sell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Phanatic posted:

Even calling for violent action is protected speech unless it's intended to and likely to incite *imminent* lawless action. Really tough to come up with a context where a T-shirt fits that bill.

So the shirt would have to say like, "kill all Jews! Tomorrow @ 7:15 pm. On 5th and Main. Bring explosives"?

Yeah, I can't see that actually happening.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jedit posted:

Which is why Britain is sane in this instance and America isn't. This guy wasn't arrested over freedom of speech. He was arrested because he was deliberately attempting to get other people to break the law by attacking him.

So the hypothetical people who would have attacked him have no agency in the matter? What prevented them from choosing to respond with something other than violence?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

Was the flight crew seriously like "please don't make a scene about your dead husband" and forced her to stay next to a corpse the whole time? That seems like something you'd get sued a million times over for even in the 50s

Assuming all the seats are full, what else can they do with the body?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ZeroDays posted:

Pretty much.

loving about with The True Size Of is a real eye opener.

I feel kinda dumb for not realizing that projection wasn't to scale. Especially since I've seen other maps that are closer to reality but I've just never though to double check it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I actually didn't know that ship cats were a thing before today. I find that adorable for some reason.

Not the point of the thread, but pretty cool all the same.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

pookel posted:

Yeah, this. Justice is for everyone, even the bad guys.

Agreed. If a killer gets off because of a miscarriage of justice, then that's squarely on the prosecution for failing to do their job as far as I'm concerned.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

FireWorksWell posted:

Wow, I don't know how I missed the part about the note; I'm all for a a fair trial, but I thought the whole 'racial bias' thing was because there was an all-white jury with white victims. They had testimony from the guy who got a pen stomped through his ear canal, claiming multiple charges of murder and rape so I thought the NAACP was just being irrational.

Don't know if this guy has been brought up before, but there was a serial killer/rapist named David Parker Ray, also known as the Toy-Box Killer. He would drug and kidnap women off the streets of New Mexico, and he'd place them in a torture chamber crafted out of an old mobile home. The first thing these women would hear upon waking up were tape recordings, of Ray describing what he's going to do to the women.

The transcripts are in the link below; no audio recording but still :nms:

:nms: Not for the faint of of heart.:nms:

I'm sorry, I know it's terrible but I couldn't help but laugh at "if you're a smoker, now's a good time to quit."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but he would also play his own theme music and stuff during his phone calls so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a recording just to make things more confusing or creepy.

Even serial killers know the importance of branding.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

flosofl posted:

It may hinge on whether he's considered a public figure or not. If he is, he has a much higher bar to clear.

Regardless, I think CBS was played pretty fast and loose on this one. They do kind of have a history, if anyone remembers "Fake but Accurate" story about the Killian Memos. There was a purge of their news staff and it's rumored that Dan Rather's subsequent retirement was really a "retire or we fire you"

Don't you generally have to be heavily involved in public affairs and/or deliberately thrusting yourself into the public view to be considered one?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's something a little weird about someone that can do that. I'd be demoralized and emotionally tapped out for years after watching one kid die. Dude has more empathy than I will ever have in my entire life.

Like seriously, the system should be subsidizing the cost of any therapy this guys needs.

Lol who am I kidding?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
To follow up on the issue of Japanese morticians, there was a pretty good movie made on the subject

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departures_(2008_film)

And it covers all of that, from the unclean nature of the job to the fact that their services are highly sought after. I recommend.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Alereon posted:

Esquire has a story about a father who spent 20 years in prison for molesting his kids before he was exonerated, eventually winning $9 million in a civil case from the investigator and her supervisor. One highlight is that his then-girlfriend who initially reported the allegations turned out to be romantically involved with the investigator's supervisor, later moving in with him after the trial.

The article talks about similar convictions that get overturned and I can't help but wonder how many are like this? Accusations that end up being false because someone with an axe to grind was manipulating a child into giving a certain testimony.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I guess it just struck me that you could probably get a child to testify to anything even if they don't understand it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sarcopenia posted:

Have we come to an agreement on how to post? I have a decent amount of content (it's mostly crime stuff though) and had intended to try to post something on the regular to kind of keep it alive and active. But it's kind of a buzzkill if people are just going to complain about the way it's posted. :(

It's basically a sharp divide between those that browse on mobile (where the new pages can be a pain in the rear end and are more likely to skip content as a result) and desktop browsers (who have tired scrolling fingers and don't have the same issues going offsite)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

This was the crown jewel of the exchange imo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Whether your medicine is real or fake I think it's still a problem if you are trying act in that capacity of "medicine" without proper certification.

If nothing else, you could be dissuading people who need medical treatment that would otherwise seek it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I can literally ask you if you saw the stop sign at the intersection two blocks back and there's a good chance that you'll remember it even if it doesn't exist. You don't need a hypno ray to gently caress with memories.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RCarr posted:

I'm sitting at a computer desk, why would I think I had recently been driving, never mind that I saw a stop sign? You sound stupid.

And why do you think you remember not driving?

Exactly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

I know viewing it that way is a combination of arrogance and apathy but with how fast technology is moving I'd be pretty pissed at 22nd century earth if we couldn't do something like that

We'll just quantum exchange our earth with another reality where humans lived in harmony with nature and let them choke to death on the ruined Death World.

Plus their sustainable ways also mean that there are vast reserves of untapped oil and mineral resource readily available :thumbsup:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The Dickens posted:

Longform buzzfeed article, three women and one woman's parents have spoken to Buzzfeed, telling them R. Kelly is keeping women in guarded apartments and won't allow them to contact their families.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimderogat...008K#.naV1qOOV1

Edit: A couple women's parents, not just one.

There's a joke about Trapped in the Closet here.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Stoca Zola posted:

I've seen quite a few articles saying it appears to have been deliberately scuttled. Seems like an attempt to destroy evidence anyway.

Okay. That seems really dark.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The internet was a mistake

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Bamabalacha posted:

Hey, a dismembered torso showed up in the dumpster behind a butcher shop a few blocks away from my house last year and I live in Toronto :colbert:

I think I've been there; their pork is really good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

it was actually a wacky series of accidents

The Naked Gun 4 1/4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Only in that he never said it out loud with his mouth, we know his professor was involved with MKULTRA and dosed students with lsd and hosed with their heads

If there was any underlying mental condition waiting for some trigger to rear into action I don't doubt for a second that MKULTRA would have been the perfect one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Keith Atherton posted:

I remember this as being a super big deal when it happened:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Chowchilla_kidnapping

A school bus full of kids gets stopped by armed kidnappers. They put everyone into a moving van buried underground planning to demand ransom.

There is something darkly funny about how the phones were so tied up that they couldn't even get through to make their demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
At the least the outrage at the family seems pretty widespread. I mean it absolutely should be, but with a law like that you worry that a lot of people are going to take the position that she was in the wrong and that doesn't seem to be happening

So maybe this gets changed and doesn't have to happen again. I hope.