Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

pookel posted:

Back on topic: I was poking around this historical photos site that was posted above (but now I've forgotten what for) and found this bit of history both heartbreaking and creepy. Note: charred, unrecognizable human remains in a photo at the top. Lots of graphic historical photos in side links. Possibly :nws: or :nms: if you are sensitive to photos of death and violence.

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/remains-astronaut-vladimir-komarov-man-fell-space-1967/

RIP, Vladimir Komarov. :ussr:

I know this is a few pages back, but I just want to say this whole site is great. I especially like the picture of the guy refusing to do a Nazi salute. He's literally doing this: :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

joshtothemaxx posted:

My gf and I are historians. She writes about riots/uprisings with racial elements. I often write about Southern lynchings and honor killings. Our work talk is really truly awful and depressing.

The American past can be awful.

So, instead of regular dates you guys just read eachother's work and then quietly sit on the couch and try not to cry.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

Reading about iron lungs lead me to reading about some of the history of medical treatment for breathing/lung problems which lead me to this uh, charming image

He is praying for air inside the punishment cube

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Has Mythbusters ever tested whether or not a torch could make a human skull pop? That stood out to me and I wasn't sure if a traumatised witness imagined it, or if the right conditions could, what? Boil the brain and increase pressure until the skull burst like Scanners?:psyboom:

"Science" posted:

Some of the group's studies tested common beliefs about how bodies burn. For example, many textbooks state that if a skull is initially intact, the brains will boil and cause the skull to explode into small fragments. Investigators may therefore see the lack of such an explosion as a sign of foul play. Pope's team tested this theory by systematically burning 40 human heads - some injured, others intact. They found that skulls do not explode, burning in broadly the same way regardless of trauma (see image). The team also showed that a skull may look like it has exploded if debris falls on it once the heat has made it brittle (Journal of Forensic Sciences, vol 49, p 431).

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Hi, chums.

Obviously, the comparative evil values of serial killers is good fodder for this thread, but we've had about a page and a half of "I think that..." sort of posts about the death penalty, which are better suited for D&D, not PYF.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Hi, again.

Initially I probated a few of you for continuing a derail, but I've decided to be more lenient and just ask you again to please, in the very least, if you're going to continue to discuss this, at least post some content. D&D is a separate forum for a reason. Thanks.

e: Never mind. I cannot retract sixes.

vvv: JESUS

cash crab has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Nov 24, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

It got a little overlooked in the shitstorm, but that article about Benjamin Kyle/the dude with amnesia was REALLY good. I need to read some more articles like that - anyone got some recommendations? Maybe we should have another thread dedicated to interesting longform articles if there isn't already one...

Okay, there was an article floating around for a while about a murder victim who's identity is still a mystery. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This woman showed up, dead, and it turned out her identity had been utterly fabricated, so she's still listed as a Jane Doe. Before I go scouring for it, I want to make sure it hasn't been posted already.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

LizzieBorden posted:

I think you're thinking of El Dorado Jane Doe.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/81ufar.html

Yes, exactly. Thank you.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

When the offending OP says the derail is over, it's over.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Thanks for always being a stablizing force in this thread, chum.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

chernobyl kinsman posted:

how...have you never heard of dahmer?

I worked with a woman who had never heard of Hitler. That was the weirdest one, I think.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Beanbox posted:

She is swedish, and they also found her legs.

I know we have a good title, but....

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

it had that title for over two years so it's okay to change it I think

<3

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I agree, I would like to know more about the contents of this beehive.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

six no substitute posted:

I’s a well-known urban legend. Supposedly cockroaches get in there and eat through your brain.

Excuse me

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Actually the most badass way to die is taking eleven wolves with you

This is how I would like to go, they will call it "Trial by Eleven Wolves" and I will be both the victim and the victor

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Maybe we could move on from pit-chat.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Not sure if this has been posted recently or not but here is an article about people eating people, but it is educational because it is about history.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Possibly been posted before, but coffin birth is a little weird.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Pick posted:

Hindsight is 20 to life

nice

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Whatever derail you guys were on before, no more, please and thank you.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Stairs posted:

And don't forget that the man in the suit is bare rear end naked in the back because the Funeral Home slit the clothes up the back and dressed him like making a bed.
Imagine a suit that looks like an open hospital gown.

true horror of the apocalypse: saggy old man rear end

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

pookel posted:

As an American I'm not sure if this is a true thing or a racial stereotype I heard - is it also accurate that Aboriginal Australians culturally have a very hard time coping with incarceration? Or is that more of a thing for those who have been raised in a traditional lifestyle?

It's horrifying in either case, but it seems exceptionally cruel if that's accurate.

not sure about australia, but i would argue it's very true in canada; if anything, because of how the police and rcmp treat first nations/aboriginal people.

starlight tours, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Mordekai posted:

I just gotta clear up that Mayhem never used Deads suicide photo as an album cover. Dawn of the Black Hearts is a bootleg record released by a mexican contact of Euronymous, which recieved a picture.

I had to google this to make sure you were right because I’ve been labouring under the delusion otherwise for like fifteen years. Bit of a Berenstain Bears moment for me there