Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Somewhere in Alexandria, early May 1941

You've all been assembled in a decent sized conference room with a map of Tunisia at one end. The windows are heavily shaded, but even so the Egyptian summer heat can be felt. A British man, head to toe in light khaki uniform, walks in and sits down near the map. "Gentlemen, I am Colonel Hedley, and I have been instructed to offer you a mutually profitable undertaking." He pours himself a glass of iced water, and offers it to you before continuing. "You've all been selected in part because of a history with Jerry's armies that implies you'll be disposed to supporting our cause. Now, Rommel's men are being tied up by our brave boys in Tobruk, and we want to take advantage of that. Your mission will be simple; secure the village of Musaid."

He gestures toward a point immediately south-west of Sollum. "We're not expecting too much of a fight, and it should be a good chance for you to show off what you can do for us. All things going well, we'll have struck back at Jerry and you'll be very handsomely rewarded." Hedley gets up and pulls some papers out of a drawer. "If this sounds amenable then please sign here. If not, well, I'm sure there are plenty of other soldiers of fortune we can use."

Recruit thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629285

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Tadeusz Maszynistski

"A...history," Tadeusz Maszynistski repeats to the British colonel, his accent and slightly offended expression making it very clear just what sort of history he means. "That's a rather minimal way of putting it, sir!"

With a dismissive shake of the head, he walks over to the map, picks up a reddish grease pencil, and makes a few quick marks.

"That distance in this heat...well, any chance to get back at them!" he mutters as he marks up the map. "Right, then. Let's see the contracts. Who has a pen...?"

Davin Valkri posted:

Matilda II (30*.8 home country discount! = 23 GBP)

+ 3 Crack crew members, Janusz Wolek, Roman Syrenki, and Lech Kowal(18 GBP)
, , and

+ 5 GBP for ammo

Commander statline:
Gunnery: +1
Driving: +0
Charisma: +2
Maintenance: +0
First Aid: +1
Bottle: +3
Trait: Shot like St. Sebastian

Crew statlines (Janusz the gunner):
Gunnery: +3
Charisma: +0
First Aid: +0
Bottle: +1
Trait: Case White Veteran

Crew statlines (Lech the loader):
Gunnery: +0
Maintenance: +2
First Aid: +2
Bottle: +0
Trait: Rodzina means Family

Crew statlines (Roman the driver):
Driving: +3
Maintenance: +1
Trait: Go Faster, Dammit!

Tank statline:
Name: Matilda 2
Front Armor: 8
Side Armor: 8
Speed: 3
Gun: QF 2 pdr (Range 11, Calibration 6)
Ammo: 93?/93
Visibility: +1
Notes: Stabiliser (+1)

Remaining budget: 50 - 23 - 18 - 5 = 4 GBP

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 21, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Janus Chekov

"Let the German scourge die in the fields of Crimea, the deserts of Libya, and the seas of China!"

Janus signs on behalf of his crew, a mere formality to him.

-----
The Soviet Union sent a T-34 M1941 to Africa for field testing. They sent Janus Chekov, an ace tanker and devout son of the Soviet Union, to serve as its commander. Unfortunately the rest of the crews roster was filled out with a random assortment of soldiers he barely knows.

TANK
Name: T-34 M1941
Front Armor: 7
Side Armor: 6
Speed: 7
Gun: 76.2mm F-34
Ammo 77
Crew 4
Cost 20
Visibility -1
Notes Two Man Turret
Year 1941

GUN
Name: 76.2mm F-34
Range: 10
Penetration: 9
Caliber: 3
Regular Ammunition cost: $5
Special Ammo: 2 x $1
Rate Of Fire: Medium

CREW
Janus Chekov
Commander/Gunner
Crack: £6 each
+2 to Gunner
+3 to Charisma
+3 to Bottle
Sharp eyesight

Vladimer Petrov
Radio
Recruit $2
+1 to Maintenance
Speaks some German

Joseph Kalashnikov
Driver
Competent $4
+2 to Driving
Knows how to keep from getting the tank stuck

Boris Zhivago
Loader
Recruit $2
+1 to First Aid
Wanted to be a doctor

BUDGET
50 Start
-20 Tank
-07 Gun
-14 Crew
=09 Remaining

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Devon Pryke

"Hopefully we'll 'ave a better time of it 'ere than we did in France." Devon signs, then hands the sheet over to his crew.

pre:
Devon Pryke, Commander and Loader.
Old Sweat
Gunnery +0
Driving +0
Charisma +3
Maintenance +0 
First Aid +0
Bottle +4

Reg Osbourne, Gunner
Crack gunner, £6
Gunnery +4
Driving +0
Charisma +0
Maintenance +0 
First Aid +0
Bottle +0

Richard Smee, Driver
Crack Driver, £6
Gunnery +0
Driving +4
Charisma +0
Maintenance +0 
First Aid +0
Bottle +0

Simon Morby, Radio Operator
Crack Maintainer, £6
Gunnery +0
Driving +4
Charisma +0
Maintenance +3 
First Aid +1
Bottle +0

Stuart I

Front Armor: 6
Side Armor: 3
Speed: 6
Gun: 37mm M3
Ammo: 103
Crew: 4
Cost: $15
Notes: Two Man Turret

37mm M3:
Range 12, Pen. 6, Caliber 1, RoF Fast, Ammo $5
12 rounds M51 (APCBC-T, +3 Pen), 44 M74 (AP), 47 M63 (HE).

Budget: 
Crew: £18
Tank: $15
Ammo: $5 + $12

Beardless fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 28, 2014

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jay John Jackson

"Hah! We'll kick some Kraut Keister and be back in time for supper! They won't know what hit them!"

Using his own pen, (an antique) Jay signs his name in letters so big they can probably be read from Italy:

J. J. Jackson

Then he signs, in a similarly bold but clearly lesser fashion, the names of his crew members:

D.D. Donaldson
M.M. Madison

Clearly satisfied with his work, he puts the pen back in his breast pocket and re-adjusts his immaculate beret. "Anyone else?"

pre:
Jay John Jackson
Daredevil Tank Commander
Trait: Run n' Gun

Charisma: +4
Maintenance: +1
First Aid: +1
Bottle: +1

David Daryl Donaldson
Crack Driver (£6)

Driving: +4

Michael Mitchell Madison
Crack Gunner (£6)

Gunnery: +4

The Tremendous Terrifying Tetrarch
Tank Model: Tetrarch (£10 * .8 = £8)
Front Armor: 2
Side Armor: 1
Speed: 8
Crew: 6
Special: Two Man Turret, Stabilizer (+1)

Gun: QF 2 pdr
Ammo: 25 Standard (£5), 25 Specialty (£25)
Range: 11
Penetration: 6
Caliber: No HE

Total Costs:
Crack Crew x2 = 12
Tank = 8
Stock Ammo = 5
Special Ammo x25 = 25

Takanago fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 19, 2014

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Girisha Ganesh Singh

This was somewhat ironic: Girisha and his crew had left Britain only to be hired by the same nation. No matter. All that mattered was a worthy opponent, and the destruction of said opponents. "The contract is suitable." He said, bright eyes gazing at the paper. With a simple, slightly beaten up pen, Girisha signs his name on the contract. With a simple gesture, he hands it over to Jaya, and she signs her name to the paper. She in turn hands the paper and pen to Madhukar and Nirav, and they sign their names. The contract was sealed, and life once again began to take hold.

AlanWhats posted:

Girisha Ganesh Singh

Commander Stats:
Gunnery +3
Charisma +2
Bottle +2

Host Country: Britain (India)

Trait: GET CLOSER I WANT TO HIT IT WITH MY SWORD! (Alt Title: Sikh Tricks*)
*Basically everyone is treated as having Sikh Tricks.

Crew (Crack Crew x3)
Jaya Kaur
Driving +4

Madhukar Singh
Maintenance +2
Gunnery +1
First Aid +1

Nirav Shyam Singh
First Aid +3
Maintenance +1

Tank
Name: Panzer 38(t) Ausf. E
Nationality: "German" (Czech) (Ours now)
Front Armor: 5
Side Armor: 3
Speed: 4
Gun: 3.7cm KwK 38(t) L/47.8
Ammo: 72 + 3 extra loads
Crew: 4
Cost: RM15
Notes: Two Man Turret
Year: 1939
Ammo:
Type: 3.7cm KwK 38(t) L/47.8
Range: 10
Penetration: 5
Caliber: 1
Cost: RM5
RoF: Fast

Total Costs: 50 - 15 + 18 + 15 = 2

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hedley claps his hands together as he sees the signed contracts pile up. "Excellent!" He jumps up and gathers the contracts into a briefcase. "Now that you're on board, we'll make plans to strike in two days, at first light. To avoid giving Jerry any ideas, you'll blend into the general mobilisation. Once you hear the phrase 'Lionheart' over the radio, you are to break formation, and tackle the objective how you see fit. Once you report back with news of your success, you'll be paid. Any questions?" He walks over to a minibar, and begins pouring gin into a tumbler. "Oh, but where are my manners. Would any of you care for a drink?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Tadeusz Maszynistski

Having returned his slightly floral signature to the British Colonel, Tadeusz salutes, nods, and proceeds to help himself to a shot of vodka. "Hmm, no flavored ones? Oh well...Ah, I hope you won't mind if I take a bit more for my crew," he asks. "I'm sure a bit of drink before the mission begins will bring good luck." Especially for Lech and Roman, he thinks to himself. "'Lionheart', yes? One of your kings, if I recall correctly. A conqueror. Good choice of signal." He pours himself another one.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jay John Jackson

"Oh, yes! Please! Nothing like a bit of spirits to really invigorate the spirit of battle, eh?" Jackson grins. "Once you give the signal, you'll see we'll be behind Jerry lines faster than you can blink! And scoring kills faster than you can count!"

"Say," he turns to the other mercenaries. "How would you all feel about a good gentlemen's bet? Let's see who can end this battle with more kills to their name than anyone else!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tadeusz Maszynistski

"That would be a very bad bet for you, sir!" Tadeusz chuckles as he finishes the second shot. "You forget that the Poles have a nine month head start on how to face German armor!"

He leaves aside both that he's always lost to armor and that Poland didn't survive the engagement.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Devon Pryke

"I'll take that bet, lad". Devon throws back a gin and tonic, and snorts at Tadeusz' comment. "9 months head start? What good did that do you? Its not as if the damned Russians are going to invade from behind us."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tadeusz Maszynistski

"Hmph!" Tadeusz makes a little show of turning up his nose and tossing his head at the Russian in their midst. "Well, I'm sure I can win anyway. I trust my crew and my steed--sorry, my tank to the end!" He downs a third shot. "Na zdrowie! And to killing Nazis!"

By the way, Takanago, did Jay deliberately sign his name as "Johnson" on his contract...?

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Girisha Ganesh Singh

"We have an invested interest in the Oppressor's destruction. We do not need to be so prideful to prove ourselves with a wager." Girisha calmly states.

"You may not," Jaya states, "but I want to see how these men measure up!" The other two men snicker at the comment, while Girisha places his palm to his face. "I believe," he says, "we will partake of those drinks now."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Janus

Janus said nothing. He was totally still in the game balls to the wall eager to fight the Germans on a second front, he merely lost track of the thread was lost in his thoughts.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tadeusz Maszynistski

By the time Tadeusz leaves the briefing building, the sun is setting and he's utterly drunk. But that's okay because the operation isn't for 48 hours so he can just sleep it off! He stumbles back to the motor pool, where his crew are putting the final touches on their freshly delivered Matilda.

"Hey, that's not bad at all!" Janusz notes to Roman and Lech as the latter two finish painting the St. Sebastian emblem. "If there weren't a war on, I'd commission you two for a work...oh, commander! Sir!" He stands up and salutes. "We were just finished inspecting the tank, sir--is that vodka?"

"Daaaaaah!" Tadeusz slurs as he holds up the bottle. "The British gent had pleeeenty! Help yourself!"

He hands the bottle over to Janusz as he clambers up to the commander's station on the Matilda--no mean feat when you're drunk. "Hey don't hog it all, won't ya, buddy? Give some to the two kids here; drivin' a motorcab in Gdansk and haulin' stuff around in a work garage is a lot differen' from workin' a tank! We depart in 48 hours, so drink up now! Na zdrow--!"

He promptly falls over in the seat and starts snoozing.

"Uhm...is the commander okay?" asks Roman, as Lech climbs up to make sure he hasn't hit his head.

"Ah, he'll be alright." Janusz shrugs. "Now then, either one of ya teetotalers?"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

You spend the 48 hours running up to the operation eating, drinking and being merry before the appointed time arrives and you and your vehicles are transported to Buq Buq to make the final preparations for Arquebus. As dawn breaks, you're already trundling along in a column of nearly 100 tanks and other vehicles towards the Halfaya Pass, and as you finish driving up the treacherous winding mountain road you hear the radio chirp and "Lionheart, Lionheart, Lionheart!" ring out. You break southwest, with some of the commanders who see you waving you luck, as you drive towards the small hamlet.

As you approach the village, you can see Jerry's keeping an eye out; there's a recon patrol of some armoured cars sweeping the road from the west.

You can choose where you start as long as it's along the eastern edge of the map. Each hex is 100m. The south has a bluff you can take advantage of, but otherwise the terrain is the flat rocky desert typical of Tunisia.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 27, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

You can choose where you start as long as it's along the western edge of the map. The south has a bluff you can take advantage of, but otherwise the terrain is the flat rocky desert typical of Tunisia.

Wait, are we starting on top of the recon cars, then? :confused:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, are we starting on top of the recon cars, then? :confused:

Whoops. :v: Fixed.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tadeusz Maszynistski

"Enemy sighted!" Tadeusz calls from the open commander hatch, binoculars over his eyes and radio headset wrapped through his hair. "Looks like some light armor from here!"

"We can't see whatever it is you can, sir," Lech calls up from inside, jostling with Janusz to look down the gunner sight. "There are some buildings in the way!"

"Right then..." he adjusts his microphone to his mouth. "Roman! Take us off the road so we can see them better! And watch the buildings!"

"Uh, yes sir..." is Roman's crackling reply as he steers the tank north. The engines grind noisily as the treads leave the trail. "Come on, I've ridden bicycles faster than this..."

The Matilda will start one hex north of the road on the east edge.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Devon Pryke
Standing in the open hatch of his Stuart, Devon peers at the buildings, and at the Hun recce cars beyond. He quickly gets on the radio to the others. "Singh, flank around the hamlet to the north. Janus, go with him. Jay, you go to the south, make sure they don't get away. I'm going right up the middle. Tad, keep up as best you can. I'll try to leave some for you. Tallyho!" Suiting action to words, He yells over the intercom. "Top speed, Dick!" He loaded an HE shell into the gun, they would hardly need AP for an armored car. As the tanks rumbles towards the buildings, he puts his binoculars to hi eyes, trying to get a better look at their foes.

Can we tell exactly what we're going against? A Sdkfz 222 is one thing, but an 8-Rad might actually pose a threat.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 29, 2014

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jay John Jackson

"Go 'round south?" Jay John Jackson radios, "Sounds fine to me! I'll take the scenic route so you guys don't fall too far behind!"

He looks to his crew. "Donaldson! Madison! You ready?" They both nod. "Go!"

The tank's engine roars bombastically as the vehicle starts to speed westwards. "Last one past the village is a rotten egg!"

Starting two hexes south of the road.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do the hexes have numbers and coordinates?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Do the hexes have numbers and coordinates?

No, but if you need them I can add them.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to start in the upper-left most hex.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

poo poo, I didn't realize I had forgotten about you in my quick tactical thing. :ohdear: Sorry.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

You can always go back and edit it. Oh, and RandomPauI, do you mean upper-right most hex? Because the left is where the bad guys are, you know.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ooops, I got the sides mixed up. Yes, upper-right

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Girisha Ganesh Singh

The time had come to destroy. Jaya was eager to advance and confront the enemy, while Madhukar and Nirav where perhaps slightly more anxious. Girisha was as calm as the eye of the storm, and as the radio crackled orders from within the ranks, simply nodded his head. "Very well. We shall advance along the north. Forward, Jaya, we have a job to do." Jaya grinned and cranked up the motor. It was go time.

I will take the uppermost available hex that isn't occupied.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tadeusz Maszynistski

"Confirm, Pryke!" Tadeusz responds at a shout over the engines. "Watch that village carefully! Wouldn't want you catching an anti-tank rifle round to the face!"

"'Try to keep up,' he says," Roman mumbles as he pushes a lever forwards. "What does he think he is in, an auto racer? Might as well be compared to this..."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

As you maneuver and put the plan into action, the armoured cars don't seem to catch you yet, possibly since the sun is still at your back. As you get closer you can make out the 8 wheels and autocannon turrets distinctive of German heavy armoured cars; at this range however they'd have a bear of a time actually hurting you with their pop guns. That said it's not them you should be afraid of, it's what they'll radio for.

They're 8-Rads, and their autocannons are anemic enough that only the Tetrarch should be fussed. If you don't knock them out in 3 turns, they'll get away and radio for help.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tadeusz Maszynistski

How do line of sight rules work on this map? Is it just tracing clear hexes in the same general direction or what? Also, visibility:
[22:48:12] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+1
[22:48:13] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9+1 = 10
Maybe you should just roll out that turn order...unless you're changing that rule?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Janus's roll
1:09:39 AM RandomPauI .roll 2d6-1
1:09:40 AM skybot RandomPauI: 8 (2d6-1=4, 5)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Devon Pryke

I'm driving down the road until I can get a clear shot on the middle 8-Rad.
Visibility: 2d6+1 6

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Girisha Ganesh Singh

Singh's Visibility Roll LET'S DO THIS!
Visibility: 2d6+1 10

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jay John Jackson

Visibility:
<Takanago> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 7+1 = 8

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tadeusz Maszynistski

Inverting initiative order? Works for me!

"Hey, anybody here know anything about Fritzy armored cars?" Lech calls up as Tadeusz continues the binoculars act. "The 1st Armored guys didn't give us any HE shells for this gun, so..."

"Well, if we don't know, let's move closer!" Tadeusz calls back. "Roman, forwards!"

"WE'VE BEEN MOVING FORWARDS THE WHOLE TIME THIS TANK IS JUST A **** WITH A ***** ENGINE" comes the response, so loud he doesn't even need the radio to hear it over the engine chugging.

"...didn't think he'd have that kind of a mouth!"

Let's move SW NW SW and get closer to the bad guys. Hopefully they aren't set up in the village.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a quick question. How does view range work? Have they seen us?

3:49:46 AM RandomPauI .roll 2d6-1
3:49:47 AM skybot RandomPauI: 7 (2d6-1=6, 2)

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Girisha Ganesh Singh

"I do see the reason behind what they did, it's just that...I cannot stand for it." Madhukar stated as the tank rolled on forwards. "They are two separate instances."

"But they are!" Said Nirav. "One is connected to the other."

"Nirav, I am telling you they are separate. I understand what happened, and why they did what they did, but that does not mean I personally condone it."

"Madhukar, if you understand, would you not condone it by understanding?"

"I understand you are a fool. I do not condone it."

Meanwhile, Girisha and Jaya are just staring straight ahead, mentally cursing the fact that those two are at it again.

Goin' SW, NW, SW, NW, cause I was told to go flank the north so let's flank us the north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jay John Jackson

"Wooohooo!" the three tankmen of the Tremendous Terrifying Tetrarch shout in unison, as their tank takes off like a bat out of hell. Leaving an absolutely massive dustcloud in its trail, it races around the south of the village, and then turns directly towards the enemy scouts.

"Madison!" Jackson shouts, staring out the front of the vehicle. "Are you ready to kill some Jerries?!"

"Hell yeah," the gunner answers as he loads a round into the tank's cannon. "Let's do this!" They both know the tank is going way too fast to get a good shot, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Moving SW five times then NW 3 times. Then firing 4 times at the southernmost enemy. I don't know what the policy on picking targets of multiple shots is. if I have to pick a single target, just the closest guy to me. If I have to pick them all at once, first two shots on the southern guy and then third on middle and fourth on top guy. If I can choose freely whenever then I choose to shoot at the southern guy until he's destroyed and then the next-closest guy, etc.

Shots: 2d6+4+1-8
<Takanago> .roll 2d6-3
<skybot> Takanago: 8 (2d6-3=5, 6)
<skybot> Takanago: 1 (2d6-3=2, 2)
<skybot> Takanago: 6 (2d6-3=6, 3)
<skybot> Takanago: 9 (2d6-3=6, 6)

• Locked thread