Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

blue squares posted:

What does it say about me that during the whole fat girl monologue, all I could think was, "well, drat, if it makes your life so depressing and unfun, stop being fat, it takes like 6 months jesus christ"

Yeah not only did it go on way too long but christ she acted like she had cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

nuzak posted:

I would have no idea what to say in that situation, and that;s good, cos it meant i just listened

I would say either accept it and own it or change it if you hate it so much. Some girls are big and like it that way. They have all the self confidence in the world and love themselves for who they are. The girl on Louie acted like she was one stranger's look away from jumping off a bridge. And then she unloads on Louie like it's his fault. He shouldn't be shamed because he doesn't find her physically attractive. She brow beat him until he felt bad. That's not a happy ending, that's pathetic on her part for spreading her misery around and pathetic on Louie's part for caving in.

It says a lot that she got all pissed when he tried to spare her feelings by saying she wasn't fat but she was happy when he held her hand which he was brow beaten into doing.

nuzak posted:

if he was brow beaten he would have let her talk.

Yeah if only he would have let her get a word in...

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 13, 2014

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

nuzak posted:

He literally did take her hand to stop her saying painful stuff tho. he didn't resignedly take her hand, he just grabbed it when it was too much for him.

So like I said he was brow beaten into taking it. Let's not pretend that after 5 minutes of her whining he suddenly had a change of heart and found her attractive.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

It's way off the mark. It doesn't matter what Louie looks like, does for a living, or anything else. He doesn't find her attractive and that's all there is to it. Even your average basement dwelling goon can look at an all around great girl who is fat and say not interested. You can't say "well you're fat too, you can't say that!". Of course you can. The idea that it's a "double standard" is retarded. Louie could absolutely say "lose some weight" because she's the one bitching about it like it's her plight in life. It makes no sense to say he can't.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 14, 2014

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Jake Armitage posted:

And here I think everyone is putting there own perspective on it. Who said he was CLEARLY attracted to her? I didn't get that at all. He thought she was super cool. He also thought she was unattractive. Have you honestly never known someone who fit that description in your life? Because I don't even think I can count the number of really cool, really unattractive women I've met over the years. It happens, its the way it goes. I just don't see the need to agonize over it like its some cosmic injustice. Especially when, as has been noted, she has a fix to the whole situation available to her should she choose to take it. That's a luxury Louie doesn't have with Pamela. No matter what he does, there's no way he can ever make her change her mind about him.

Exactly. He obviously thought she was funny but in no way did I get that he was physically attracted to her and was "afraid" to ask her out because of what other people would think. He just didn't find her physically attractive.

LividLiquid posted:

If there was a treatment to become white, should black people utilize it because being white is way easier and you're treated like poo poo less often?

It's better to fight against prejudice and poor treatment than to try and make everybody conform to whatever we think is "normal" this second.

Can we avoid relating the centuries of racial oppression to fat girls not getting dates?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 14, 2014

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

The point is that people are treated like poo poo because of who they are, and arguing that they should change that to fit in is a damaging, stupid narrative.

No one is arguing that she should change, but that she can and that's why her whole speech is a waste of time. If she's so unhappy about it she can change. It's what makes it completely different than race, gender, handicap, sexual preference, etc. You are focusing way too much on SOCIETY bullshit and ignoring the simple fact that it's her life and hers alone. Some things you don't have the power to change, some you do. I wouldn't unload on some poor woman because I hated the town I was currently living in when I had the power to move somewhere else.

And to point it out yet again, no one was treating her badly. One guy who she liked didn't find her physically attractive. That was the extent of her tragedy.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I will never, at any point and under any circumstances barring causing others harm, agree that it's better to change yourself than to argue for acceptance and fair treatment.

You complained endlessly about how they should "tone down" Craig in Parks & Rec because he gave a negative stereotype to gays on tv even though he was just being himself. Why don't you accept him for who he is? Some gays are flamboyant and loud, just like his character and the actor in real life, but you don't like it. Why should they change him to fit what you think gays should look and act like?

I don't care that Louie tried to relay a message and be serious. I don't disagree that people should be more accepting of others, but having a fat woman go on and on like she's the most oppressed person on the planet wore out it's welcome. It was just done in the most mind-numbingly awful way. It's like that Bobcat Goldthwait movie about the guy who goes on a killing spree because he's pissed off at what America has become. Even if you agree with what he's saying by the end of the movie he's given so many long-winded speeches you just want him to die already.

Edit: VVV But I love you just the way you are!

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 14, 2014

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Please have mercy, the horse died hours ago.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Thanks for those responses No Wave and Darko, that sort of mindset gone wrong actually helps explain a whole hell of relationships my friends have started in their college years. It also explains how social pressures would lead them to try to maintain relationships which were clearly terrible, I guess the lines between fuckbuddies and serious relationships are more blurred than I thought.

Well you're almost there. I would say there's minimal social pressure. Guys will put up with a lot of poo poo from a girl if she's hot and puts out. Sure their guy friends may comment a lot about how hot she is and pat him on the back but trust me the guy is a willing participant.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah! I mean, look at what getting in shape did for Wayne Knight's career!

We all certainly remember that prolific post-Seinfeld/pre-weight loss portion of Wayne Knight's career.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Pomp posted:

First posts I've ever read in a Louie thread have been pages of people not getting the incredibly loving obvious point of the fat woman's monologue, but it's still not as bad as people saying that Cersei deserved to get raped.

Not agreeing doesn't mean people didn't get it. Get over yourself.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

fspades posted:

You wrote she sounded like being one step away from jumping a bridge when that was literally one of the complaints she had;

Geniasis posted:

There is a difference between not agreeing and not getting it. Your posts in this thread, particularly the "one jump away from bridge, etc." one indicates the latter.

If she said she was skinny does that mean she is? My point is I disagree with her, including the part about not being depressed or unhappy with herself.

I like the last two episodes even though they weren't very funny. I just hope the whole season isn't like this. It's better than most of what's on tv I guess.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Geniasis posted:

But isn't that the point? She's complaining in that moment of the rant that no matter what she says, people are going to assume she's depressed and suicidal. You are literally proving the character's point.

I'm saying unreliable narrator. I didn't mean literally that her character was suicidal and going to jump off a bridge, just used that expression to relay that I think she's unhappy and frustrated with herself and is making it society's problem.

Frostwerks posted:

For the love of gay christ could we please move on past the fat bitch? It wasn't even a good episode.

Sorry for discussing the show in the show thread. I guess I should have just called her a fat bitch and moved on. For future reference what is the post limit on a given topic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

BrownThunder posted:

Considering your only posts in this thread have been about the fat girl episode that was weeks ago, I think you've had enough, personally.

Consider that I didn't realize the new season started until the second week (which was just last week) so I watched the first four episodes together. Also, people are allowed to not love every episode and discuss it in the discussion thread. Go make a Louie hugbox thread if you can't handle it. Or there's an ignore button if you want to take the cowards way out.

A MIRACLE posted:

Whoever compared this season to the White Album was on point. It's louie being 'artsy' with some hits but mostly misses, a disregard for whatever the pop equivalent is for comedy, and knowing that FX isn't going to cancel him

Agree 100%. Even a Louie miss is better than 75% of what's on TV so it's still worth watching. I'm just curious how it's going to wrap up with two potential women in his life now.

• Locked thread