Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I would have taken Stanton, because I would want to see what happens with Stanton in Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I dunno, Trout going 50/50 will be pretty boss too.

What's with the other tabs in the picks spreadsheet, IP? Why are there repeats of each position?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

I dunno, Trout going 50/50 will be pretty boss too.

What's with the other tabs in the picks spreadsheet, IP? Why are there repeats of each position?

because a lot of dudes are gonna get drafted. When we're 15 rounds deep you'll appreciate not having to scroll down to see everyone that's off the board.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Where did we land when it comes to DH in the NL?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

no funDH in the NL

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

IcePhoenix posted:

because a lot of dudes are gonna get drafted. When we're 15 rounds deep you'll appreciate not having to scroll down to see everyone that's off the board.

Gotcha. Any reason to separate OF into 6 rather than 2 each for LF/CF/RF?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lots of guys can play two or three OF positions and their in game position may be different than their real world listing, or where someone plans to play them.

There's a similar problem with utility infielders but that's not as big of a deal, I think.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Is Seattle fifteen minutes late on their pick? Theoretically, could the Yankees jump in and grab a pick at this point if they wanted to be...well, the loving Yankees?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, Seattle ran out of time as of 2PM Eastern and the Yankees are 23 minute in to their clock.

I won't be home for a few hours so Seattle can still pick whenever they want to jump in until I get the chance to auto them.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

is there any spreadsheet online that has the OOTP ratings and stuff. I've been looking this morning, because I only have 14 and I'm sure some positional stuff has changed (e.g. is Joe Mauer still a catcher in the game?)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

is there any spreadsheet online that has the OOTP ratings and stuff. I've been looking this morning, because I only have 14 and I'm sure some positional stuff has changed (e.g. is Joe Mauer still a catcher in the game?)

He is not, I don't think he even has a rating at Catcher anymore. I don't know about the ratings spreadsheet, if anyone can provide me a place to put it I could see about uploading the league so people can look, though I'm not sure if it will be sortable.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sorry I was late on my pick. It's a little annoying when your pick comes up at work :sweatdrop:

Just so we're clear - Machado's injury this year won't affect him in game, right?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, Seattle ran out of time as of 2PM Eastern and the Yankees are 23 minute in to their clock.

I won't be home for a few hours so Seattle can still pick whenever they want to jump in until I get the chance to auto them.

I'm using OOTP 15 to track the draft. If you wanted, I could do the autodraft if it comes up in the morning, since I work mostly 2nd shifts.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Sorry I was late on my pick. It's a little annoying when your pick comes up at work :sweatdrop:

Just so we're clear - Machado's injury this year won't affect him in game, right?

Understandable. And yes, all injuries have been wiped.

Infidel Castro posted:

I'm using OOTP 15 to track the draft. If you wanted, I could do the autodraft if it comes up in the morning, since I work mostly 2nd shifts.

I like giving people a bit of buffer if they run out of time for the reason above. Sometimes you just might hit a patch during the day where you aren't able to pick.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Screen Door Slams posted:

New York selects Adrian Beltre, 3B.
And the Yankees' run on aging veterans begins!

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Pander posted:

And the Yankees' run on aging veterans begins!

:shrug: There's a run on third basemen, Beltre has elite defense and an underrated bat.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I guess that's one way to see it. I'd probably rather have Donaldson than Beltre at this point, but it's a philosophical difference I guess.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Hey Pander its kind of frowned upon to bring up undrafted guys.

edit- BTW now that Yadi's off the board, I was really thinking about getting him at 11, but wasn't sure how good the sim is at recreating the entire Yadi package.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 12, 2014

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Zythrst posted:

Pretty sure it's always fine to make mention of the many-splendored Nick Puntos of the world. Also there's guys like Nick Punto who are sort of so up-front in peoples' consciousnesses that you just have to expect that everyone's already thinking of them. Also, it's not like there's anything to be ventured or lost if you're just going to mention a non-guy like Nick Punto.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Zythrst posted:

edit- BTW now that Yadi's off the board, I was really thinking about getting him at 11, but wasn't sure how good the sim is at recreating the entire Yadi package.
I had the same concern, but a 6WAR player became excellent value at 20 irrespective of the other stuff.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zythrst posted:

Oh. Wasn't aware that was bad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not going to make a big deal about it if you do, but yeah, if you've got a guy who you think is a steal for whatever reason, it's really frustrating if people start talking about him and then he goes right before your pick.

Also, Molina is really good and I would have taken him ahead of Posey. He was the other guy I was sort of considering at six, but I decided there was a minor chance he would fall through whereas Tulo had zero of falling out of the top ten.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I'm surprised injury-free Gonzalez fell as much as he did. Sure, OF isn't a premium position, but he's up there with McCutchen and Stanton in that group just below Trout.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pander posted:

Did anyone else not have Mike Trout as #1?

Also: Chicago White Sox getting Chris Sale = :3:
Depending on how the ratings flesh out, Sale is a top 5-10 starter with random distribution. My last OOTP15 file he was a 10/8/8. With injuries off, he should be great.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Harlock posted:

Depending on how the ratings flesh out, Sale is a top 5-10 starter with random distribution. My last OOTP15 file he was a 10/8/8. With injuries off, he should be great.

I don't care about ratings or if he was a good pick I'm just happy he went to the Sox.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Prozach posted:

I'm surprised injury-free Gonzalez fell as much as he did. Sure, OF isn't a premium position, but he's up there with McCutchen and Stanton in that group just below Trout.

He is a 120-ish career OPS+ left fielder with shoddy defense. I don't think too many people are kicking themselves here.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Gomez has like a 100 outfield range rating in the version of OOTP 15 I just opened up. I don't know if the game rolls ratings every time you start a new game or if IcePhoenix and I have the same version but I just thought that was kind of cool.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

No I had Trout, I was just wondering if anyone didn't. I worded my sentence poorly.

Like I said earlier, I have Tulo #1 because of ~positional scarcity~.

Prozach posted:

Sorry dude, but I don't think he is a top-10 OF.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Really? I don't want to shill the $40 to get a better picture of how good they are in the simulation, but I don't want to get screwed over every time I pick either just because I'm not familiar with how the system values players.

He has his flaws, but those are mostly tied to his injury history, and if that isn't a problem, then I'm not seeing where we differ so strongly on our evaluation of him. Out of the top 10 in his position seems really low to me.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Prozach posted:

Really? I don't want to shill the $40 to get a better picture of how good they are in the simulation, but I don't want to get screwed over every time I pick either just because I'm not familiar with how the system values players.

He has his flaws, but those are mostly tied to his injury history, and if that isn't a problem, then I'm not seeing where we differ so strongly on our evaluation of him. Out of the top 10 in his position seems really low to me.

You don't even need OOTP to know he isn't top-10. Look at his OPS+ and his home/away splits next time you're on baseball-reference. His raw numbers are top-10, but when you account for Coors...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

You can just look at his baseball-reference page. Note that his career slash is something like .298/.350/.500 or so. The power is nice, but he just doesn't take a crazy amount of walks or hit enough dingers for guy hitting at Coors half his games to be super-elite. He's won a couple GGs, but again he's not elite defensively.

He's a great piece to have and if I had him when my pick comes up in the second round I'd jump on him. But for round one you want a slam dunk superstar, not a 'pretty darn good hitter'.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Prozach posted:

It's not related to OOTP. There's an argument to be made that his numbers are inflated by Coors and he doesn't provide value as a fielder.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Prozach posted:

Don't worry, it could have been way worse. You could have drafted Carlos Gomez :v:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

mks5000 posted:

Don't worry, it could have been way worse. You could have drafted Carlos Gomez :v:

Carlos Gomez put up a 130 wRC+ last season and was a top-tier defensive CF, and this season his wRC+ is up to 154. I keep waiting for him to regress hard, but until he does he absolutely deserves a high pick.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Laderhan posted:

With the 23rd pick, the New York Mets select Carlos Gomez's IRL teammate Ryan Braun to piss off the New York Media.

The San Fransico Giants are up next.

This was the biggest reason why selecting Carlos Gonzales was really dumb, by the way.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

mks5000 posted:

t:mad:

Mornacale posted:

Carlos Gomez put up a 130 wRC+ last season and was a top-tier defensive CF, and this season his wRC+ is up to 154. I keep waiting for him to regress hard, but until he does he absolutely deserves a high pick.

:glomp:

I'm new enough to fantasy spreadsheeting that I didn't just want numbers for my first pick. I wanted someone I've seen play. Gomie's totally a homer pick, no question about it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

At this point I'd guess the question for you would be how much OOTP balances career #s vs recent #s vs recent trend.

If it favors recent history and his trend, Gomez is a solid pick. If it doesn't, it's a big reach, even for one of the best defensive CFs.

Good luck :)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

At this point I'd guess the question for you would be how much OOTP balances career #s vs recent #s vs recent trend.

If it favors recent history and his trend, Gomez is a solid pick. If it doesn't, it's a big reach, even for one of the best defensive CFs.

Good luck :)

It also gives a whole extra layer to the question of how valuable defense is, though if Tadashi's right and it rates him at maximum OF range that seems pretty nice.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OOTP ratings are heavily influenced by PECOTA. They tweak here and there but if you know how that system rates a player then you're probably not going to find enough variation for it to matter a huge amount.

Also this roster set does not take into account anything that happened this season so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Surprised Waino lasted this long, and apologies for taking a few hours to make my pick. Next ones should be faster.

• Locked thread