Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Can we kibitz in the draft thread? (Not giving advice on upcoming picks, of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
HAL9100 is clearly Dave Littlefield, the Pirates are doomed.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

tadashi posted:

The one good thing about being auto'd may be that, when it comes time to sim, you'll have the player ootp thinks is the best talent.

You can set OOTP GMs to ignore potential for short-term quality, right? If so, and if you really plan to sim only one season, doing that would give the "best" picks.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Feel like Max Scherzer is the first big reach.

Also I would've first-picked Tulo, so good job on that IcePhoenix.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

No I had Trout, I was just wondering if anyone didn't. I worded my sentence poorly.

Like I said earlier, I have Tulo #1 because of ~positional scarcity~.

Prozach posted:

I'm surprised injury-free Gonzalez fell as much as he did. Sure, OF isn't a premium position, but he's up there with McCutchen and Stanton in that group just below Trout.

Sorry dude, but I don't think he is a top-10 OF.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

mks5000 posted:

Don't worry, it could have been way worse. You could have drafted Carlos Gomez :v:

Carlos Gomez put up a 130 wRC+ last season and was a top-tier defensive CF, and this season his wRC+ is up to 154. I keep waiting for him to regress hard, but until he does he absolutely deserves a high pick.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

At this point I'd guess the question for you would be how much OOTP balances career #s vs recent #s vs recent trend.

If it favors recent history and his trend, Gomez is a solid pick. If it doesn't, it's a big reach, even for one of the best defensive CFs.

Good luck :)

It also gives a whole extra layer to the question of how valuable defense is, though if Tadashi's right and it rates him at maximum OF range that seems pretty nice.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I can't believe Bats went later than loving E5.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Gerrit Cole is a big reach here, though OOTP might bail you out.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

IcePhoenix posted:

Gerrit Cole is one of the best pitchers on the board.

Well, was.

Gerrit Cole is a #3 starter, if that's the best left on the board in round 3 then you don't bother taking an SP.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

angrygodofjebus posted:

I am literally on vacation in a cabin this week so I apologize if I'm stinking this up or something, but I think it was a reasonable choice. Or I could be really dumb!

I think he will do fine in OOTP because the game can't really understand a pitcher with elite stuff that nevertheless doesn't miss bats.

Neither do I. :smith:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
tbh I think the goal should be to build a good real-life team, with OOTP just being a fun way to try to show who succeeded.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Monicro posted:

At the risk of turning this into a thing, I'll be gone until about 6PM CT today so please don't skip me!

Unless anyone objects, I'd happily pick for you if you Twitter DM me instructions.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
There's a dude on the board that has already fallen far enough that I expect him to be the best value in the entire draft.

e: In real baseball, I don't know or care about OOTP.

e2: Miguel Sano is a Real Bad Draft Pick no offense

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 19, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Harlock posted:

Why is he a bad draft pick if you know nothing about OOTP?

He's a bad pick because he hasn't played an inning above AA and his K rate there was 30%, the dude is not ready for MLB. The point of the thread is to draft the best baseball team, not to game OOTP's rating system.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

tatankatonk posted:

Lucroy was the dude I was going to pick one pick later, good job and drat you

Lucroy is the guy who I was talking about being the best pick of the draft, he's amazing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

Does OOTP care about pitch framing?

Yeah, that's why I added that edit that it might not show up in the game. He's elite defensively even without it, but he'll probably be undervalued in the sim.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
cot for choice

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
With Yordano Ventura coming off the board, the AL West is now the only division where every team has a starter (every team in the ALC has a pitcher, but Detroit drafted Kimbrel), and contains half of the teams who have 3/5 of their rotation filled (Texas, Anaheim, Milwaukee, Miami).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Poor Jurickson Profar, directly from being blocked by Elvis Andrus to being blocked by Jose Reyes. :smith:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

IcePhoenix posted:

Because this is roughly the range he should have been taken (maybe a bit on the high side but not much) and you're letting his performance from this year cloud your judgement.

I think Samardzija compares pretty favorably to several other recent SP picks, but on the other hand I think pitching has been fairly over-represented thus far. So he probably shouldn't have been taken so high in an objective sense, but relative to the other players at his position being picked he's pretty good value.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The Cubs now have 75% of their infield staffed by third basemen. e: And a 1B playing catcher.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Screen Door Slams posted:

e: And I think this makes my Yanks the first team to fill up their IF.

Detroit beat you to it by 3 picks, unless you are counting C.

Also, Neil Walker is a good pick, especially in this league since his primary weakness is being injury-prone. In the NLE, I like him better than Ian Kinsler for Washington and he was taken a cool 106 picks later (though I think that says more about Kinsler than Walker).

e: Bonus infielder-drafting factoid, the only division to be full up at an everyday position is ALE second basemen.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 24, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Laderhan posted:

hmmm... this gives me an idea.

Sicnarf Loopstok will be terrible, even on the bench.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

seiferguy posted:

Noooo I was hoping Rasmus would fall some more

It's no surprise, he's a future All-Star

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

kensei posted:

But it's 1-20 in OOTP you jerk t:saddowns:

Only if you play with scrub-level settings. :smugdog:

Also I keep reading this thread title as "Major League Bugaboo", well, thansk for reading

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
.330 is like league-average OBP now, Billy Hamilton is not gonna sniff it.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
200 picks down

550 to go :getin:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Not to be nitpicky, but it would be really nice if people would post their team when they make a pick. Since I'm not drafting, I'm planning to write up some "season previews" and to make a long story short I've got my own spreadsheet I'm filling in as we go along. Most people are doing this, but occasionally some jerk like FairGame ( ;) ) doesn't and I have to go searching for what team they run. Anyway, I'd appreciate it.

e: If y'all wanna make my life really easy, you could also include the pick number, but I'm certainly not demanding it. (The next pick will be #206.)

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 27, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Jubs posted:

Why did it take so long for Rizzo to get selected?

I have him as the 4th-best 1B in his own division thus far. He'd have been a lot better if we were looking at more than one year.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Houston is having the most interesting draft so far, imo. I really hate their Mauer pick, I really love Norris and Peralta, and their pitching could be either horrific or great value.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Really dislike the Aoki pick for you positionally. Marte is a natural CF with an outstanding arm; he shouldn't be in LF even in Pittsburgh, and NYS doesn't have the North Side Notch. I'm not convinced that Marte/Polanco/Aoki is a better OF than Moss/Marte/Polanco, and I suspect that there are still all-bat-no-glove guys out there to fill in your DH.

As it is, your 4th- and 5th-round picks are both primarily defensive players who you've blocked from playing at their natural defensive positions.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I couldn't care less about OOTP ratings, but that's not my point anyway. The defense is clearly better with Aoki, because Moss is a bad defender, but left field is not a valuable defensive position so the actual marginal value of the improvement is decreased.

e: ^^^ Boooo don't game OOTP draft to reality

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

seiferguy posted:

I'm curious what people think of my team so far. I think I reached with my first pick but overall I think it's going pretty well.

All your picks so far are good players. I agree that Machado was a reach, but I like Masterson a lot (more than Holland, in fact).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Prozach posted:

Masterson was picked before Holland so how is that relevant?

And I have a feeling I know what Punto is getting referred to. I'm not worried. Holland is a safe reliever choice, and I like his value here in comparison to some of the other late rotation picks being made.

Derek Holland, who went to Seattle 101 picks prior to Masterson.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Laderhan posted:

What do you guys think was best and worst pick value wise so far?

Mine are:

Best Value: Ian Desmond in the 4th
Worst Value: Brian Dozier in the 5th

Best pick so far is Jonathan Lucroy (by San Diego). He's arguably the 2nd-best catcher in baseball and he fell to the bottom of the 4th as the TWELFTH C off the board.

Worst pick is Miguel Sano (by the White Sox). Dude has never played above AA and he was rocking a 30% K rate in his half a season there. Came out to a whopping .236 batting average. He went before Lucroy. Kevin Youkilis is also completely unable to play at a Major League level, but he went 104 picks later so he's not so bad.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 2, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Politicalrancor posted:

what are the rules on picking after a non kosher pick?

I think it's fairest to give the offending team their full pick clock to fix it.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Tim Hudson was taken with pick 176.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Screen Door Slams posted:

Aw godDAMMIT. Fixed.

That pick was so good that I had to double-check how it could be possible. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

What do you mean "this end"? We're not even halfway through!

He means this end of the draft order is a bunch of slow pickers.

• Locked thread