Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hand Knit posted:

Can someone explain Kevin Pelton's 'analytics big board' to me? I have no acquaintance with draft prospects beyond hype but this really seems like a, uh, ambitious ordering.

It uses WARP weighting previous seasons more than the current season so naturally Marcus Smart (who was really good last season) looks like a top prospect because it's only using statistical measures rather than incorporating them alongside physical measurements and observational data

Also WARP doesn't use linear weights in basketball which is stupid and dumb and retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I get that he's just ranking by statistical output but those seem like the sort of results where, if I was trying to construct a 'big board', I would conclude with "and there are some serious problems with my model."

e: With Smart and some Swiss guy at the top, and Wiggins way down at 19th, it reads like he's trying to provide a reductio of someone else's model.

My guess is that ESPN is trying to embrace debate

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The B_36 posted:

Just to be clear, I was responding to the people who were comparing Embiid to Olajuwon, specifically to whoever said that Embiid was going to become the next Olajuwon if he could avoid injury, and also specifically, I was saying the comparison was ridiculous. Don't want people to think I was comparing Embiid at all favourably to Olajuwon.

Don't worry no one will ever accuse you of thinking Embiid might be good

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

Count me on board for trading 3 and 10 for the first overall...

This would be a stupid move and if the Sixers did it they would deserve all the bad poo poo that happened to them afterwards, especially considering that the Cavs are high on Exum as well and the #2 pick on the Bucks' board after Embiid is Parker. If you want Wiggins he might still drop to you and if not oh no you have your choice of phenomenal high upside prospects

Trading up when you're that shallow at every position is a bad call, especially trading two lottery picks in a stacked draft

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

chunkles posted:

Remember when people were saying Cavs promising to draft Dion Waiters was some kind of smokescreen.

Waiters got a promise from the Suns and then parlayed that into not working out for anyone which caused the Cavs to freak out and grab him in a panic

Funny poo poo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Inside Outside posted:

Hoops Rumors posted a mock draft that has Embiid falling to the Celtics oh my god it's happening No it isn't they're just a rumors site with no sources

The Celtics are probably getting a better player than they should be (hint it's Vonleh, Exum, or Randle) and will be annoyingly good again soon enough

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

EMC posted:

I understand the answer to this is 'because it is Cleveland' but why are they not (seemingly) keen on Wiggins?

They are a tire fire at SF at the moment assuming Deng leaves, and they already have several guys that play PG/SG. Is Exum insurance for when Kyrie leaves? Or do they seriously believe Lebron is going to come back and fill that void?

They might think Deng is coming back or they might think that Bennett is the long term solution at the 3 or they might just be going "BPA figure it out later"

Alternatively, acute mental retardation

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Kevin Pelton wrote an article for ESPN that talks about it and the big men who've had it and says he's basically hosed.

Kevin Pelton isn't a doctor.

quote:

With appropriate physiotherapy management, most patients with a stress fracture of the navicular can make a full recovery (return to sport or full activities) in a period of 3 - 9 months. In more severe cases, recovery may take 1 year, or longer, depending on the intervention required and a range of other factors. In rare cases, some patients may experience ongoing symptoms or complications which may require further management.

That last part is important because given how tall Embiid is, the risk of complications with his feet goes up, but there's no reason he can't make a full recovery.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

No poo poo. I don't think teams are reading the Pelton article to debate whether they pick him or not. It's insider so I haven't read it but I'm in the camp that it isn't worth it to pass up on him past number 3 or 4. A lot of people seem to be overreacting though and bringing up how he is going to turn into Yao or Big Z.

I should hope not. I just don't like guys presenting themselves as authorities on injuries when they aren't medical professionals. I don't claim to know a ton about feet injuries but everything I've read would suggest that it's something he can recover from, which might be at odds with Kevin Pelton's anecdotal evidence but probably has more weight to it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'd like a second opinion from Randy Rand if you don't mind

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

Thanks swickles.

RE: Shaq. Most of his injuries seemed to be due to over or under training off the court. The only time he really hurt himself on the court until his last season was the torn abdomen muscle. Which must have been pretty awful,I have had a few abdomen strains and thought I was going to die, I can't imagine tearing it.

Most of Shaq's injuries had nothing to do with being tall and everything to do with weight/conditioning which is exceedingly rare. The only other center I can think of who never had any back/knee related stuff was Hakeem (only missed significant time due to Bill Cartwright's Elbow)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

cisneros posted:

Hakeem avoided the injury plague of 7 footers by being actually 6'9".

I looked it up and Dikembe was actually pretty healthy with no significant injuries until he blew his knee out in '09 and retired

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

@Probballdraft
Hearing the Cavs and Jazz have discussed a swap of picks. Jazz would move up to take Parker and Cavs would likely get Favors and 5.

Well that is...why would Utah do that?!

Because Kanter is the future, obvs

E: Also because the Jazz have sneaky bad management

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

haha what

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

That's where Chad Ford has him going.

Shut up Chad Ford I want him to somehow fall to the Spurs

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Pretty sure the Cavs are going to draft Exum, pretty sure we are all going to laugh at them, pretty sure he'll be okay at worst

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

Also, a decent non lovely PG is basically the biggest need for the Heat at the moment, aside from keeping the Big 3 together.

ooh probably don't want napier then

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

These anonymous GM/Scout articles always come off like bullshit, but it's funny how little these guys know about Exum

Apparently he has the same agent as Dion Waiters, lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

Best draft in years and CLE is desperately trying to get out of it.

Nah that doesn't sound like Competently Run Franchise The Cleveland Cavaliers (in their defense, the perception of how good this draft is lets them deal those picks or actual players, and they're still convinced they're in Win Now mode)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

OK guys, who would be the best pick for the Cavs at #1, who will they actually pick, and what spot would that guy have gone if smarter teams had the top spot?

Wiggins, Exum, anywhere from 3-7

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Randle has a foot injury, which is why he's sliding.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Randle also has a 7'0 wingspan which isn't amazing but is perfectly acceptable for an NBA PF. He Is A Four

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

He's not some potential perennial top 5 all star but he should be a good presence on any team. My real issue with him is I don't believe he passes much once the ball hits his hands.

He does not and that's my biggest knock on him. If you pass the ball to Randle it's either a shot, a turnover, or free throws. Not necessarily the worst thing in the world (Kevin McHale was the same way) but definitely something to be aware of.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'd say wait them out and dare them to draft Wiggins

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If Philly stands pat Cleveland might draft Exum and Wiggins falls to them anyways or they might draft Wiggins and Milwaukee takes Parker and you end up with Embiid or Exum or Vonleh if you're feeling frisky, none of which would be a bad consolation prize for a team who is not contending next season, especially when you consider that you have an early second round pick as well as the #10

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

He's way way way better on a per possession basis, but his usage isn't nearly as high. Vonleh knocked down jumpers at a good rate but he really didn't shoot very many so there's some sample size worries there.

He only shot 41, to be exact. Not 41 threes, but 41 jump shots. I like his overall projection as a shooter better than, say, Victor Oladipo, but it's a big mystery

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

How do you become less impressed with Exum when you haven't seen anymore of him than the miniscule amount available?

well team scouts keep anonymously leaking negative things because their teams instruct them to do so and everyone is talking up people that they just watched so

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

Exum not wanting to work out for people has dropped my consideration of him, but I still think he goes top-5.

Eh, not working out either means he got a promise from someone or he's trying to trick a team into thinking he got a promise from someone. No harm in gaming the system a bit

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm really disappointed that there's no one obviously as terrible as Jan Vesely to go in the lottery this year.

Aaron Gordon reminds me a lot of Vesely so when Philly panics and picks him at 3 I will telepathically send you my laughter

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Someone make a GDT yo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Actually I'll do it since I'm still here for now but I'll link it in here and then lock this thread because it's draft night baby woooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

get your rear end to mars quaid

• Locked thread