Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Radio Show, then Okosan and Anghel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

ChorpSaway posted:

I agree!

Here you all go!

Awesome, thanks! Gonna buy that Okosan av whenever I can come up with a good title.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

M'birdie

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

:psyduck: Wait a minute. How the hell can Nageki have a shrine visit when he's :ghost:?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

ChorpSaway posted:

I agree!

Here you all go!

Refuse-To-Choose Puuuuunch!!!

Also, Radio show first, and Oko-san and Anghel.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
And an avatar was had that day!

Also, Radio Show, but when we get to shrine visits, Anghel and Yuuya

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
^^^Excellent title :3:

I don't mind starting with the Randio show, followed by dates with Kazuaki and Shuu

DaniDaniDanica
Dec 25, 2012
Radio Show! But if we go on dates I'd prefer Nageki and Anghel.

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012
Radio show

And let's go with Sakuya and Shuu.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

ChorpSaway posted:

Not to get off topic, but if Shuu really did have some kind of unrequited romantic crush on Ryouta's dad like is maybe suggested in Hurtful Boyfriend/BBL then it may actually make twisted yandere sense for him to have tormented Ryouta for reasons beyond, "Shuu is evil and likes to hurt people" but also because Ryouta may actually represent to Shuu that life he could never have with Ryuji.

That's assuming it was a romantic thing and not just friendly co-worker affection. It seems almost touching that Shuu will still clean up/take care of Ryuji's messes.

Edit: Serious talkin' about birdgames, this is the height of my life.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Jenner posted:

Not to get off topic, but if Shuu really did have some kind of unrequited romantic crush on Ryouta's dad like is maybe suggested in Hurtful Boyfriend/BBL then it may actually make twisted yandere sense for him to have tormented Ryouta for reasons beyond, "Shuu is evil and likes to hurt people" but also because Ryouta may actually represent to Shuu that life he could never have with Ryuji.

That's assuming it was a romantic thing and not just friendly co-worker affection. It seems almost touching that Shuu will still clean up/take care of Ryuji's messes.

Edit: Serious talkin' about birdgames, this is the height of my life.
This could actually be a really positive portrayal of Shuu taking in the Christmas Thieves as the kids he and Ryuuji could never have, and loving them as much as he would said children.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
It could also be the attempt of someone without a grasp of human emotions and socially appropriate behavior to imitate someone he admires professionally in an attempt to catch up to him in the silliest, most misguided way.

I don't think Shuu is even capable of having romantic feelings towards anything but science.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CHiRAL posted:

I don't think Shuu is even capable of having romantic feelings towards anything but science.

Do severed body parts in glass jars count as science?
  • Yes
  • Yes

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.
I think the radio show should come first, and as husbandoves go, it's all about Anghel and Yuuya!

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Radio show first, then Okosan and Anghel

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Do the Radio show, then shrine visit with Nageki and Kazuaki

I really want to get that Anghel av, but I can't decide which of his lines to use as a title, they're all too perfect!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The little icons for our husbandoves are just adorable.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, I'm back from a convention and mad tired, but it was lots of fun. No Hatoful cosplayers this year, but I wasn't hopeful anyways. Well, this is a perfect time to check out...

THE RESULTS
I don't even need to count the votes for the first one, since there was only one vote for the shrine visits.
We'll be doing the radio show first, followed by the shrine visits in this order:
Anghel x x x x x x x x x x
Okosan x x x x x x x x x
Yuuya x x x x x x x x
Nageki x x x x x
Shuu x x x x x
Kazuaki x x x x
Sakuya x
Ryouta

Pretty decent spread, IMO, though a little sad to see that Ryouta didn't end up with any votes. Ah well. Radio show should be up tomorrow. Hope y'all are ready to learn about "Living with Birds"!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Poor Bad Love Boys aren't getting any love.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Look, between the guy who gets sick all the time and the guy who has hallucinogenic properties that make you believe your life is a Super Sentai / JPRG, I think we all know which of those two is going to have the more interesting date picking up fortunes on New Years.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Part 1: Living With Birds

Hi, everybirdie! I’m Kawara Ryouta, a rock dove from 2-3. I seem to be in charge of the questions corner.
I think you all can tell what we’re doing here just from the name, but… since it’s the first time, I’ll explain.
In the How and Why Question Box, I’ll be answering letters you’ve all sent in.

It’ll be pretty relaxed. Bear with us!
Because this is the first time, I’ve made sure to pick things which don’t spoil any of the BBL route from the full version.
If you haven’t finished yet, spoiler landmines can be scary! But don’t worry, there won’t be any of those here.
Let’s get started, then!

Now, for our very first letter, from one “Aviophile”. This is a historic moment, everybirdie!

…Y-you seem awfully sure about this…!
Ummm… Actually, Hiyoko told me a little about her dream wedding a long time ago.

If she still wants to have a bungee wedding, a dress would be risky for either of us… It would be nice if we could wear our streetclothes.
Anyway, next letter!

I don’t know what life expectancies were like before, but some have increased over the past 100 years or so.

…Doves still have much shorter lives than humans, though. That’s just how it is.
Oh, sorry! We’re getting gloomy already. Let me change course a little!
Let’s regroup and move on to the next letter.

I was told to answer anything for Hiyoko as best I could. Umm…
Hiyoko’s really something. She’s been wild and rugged ever since we were very young… I’ve always admired her, too.
She never really complains, so I’m not sure I know of anything that’s really given her trouble.
The one time I can think of would be the time her den got hijacked.

It looked really tough. As long as there are living creatures, there will always be turf wars.
She said the fight with the boss jackal lent an entirely new meaning to the phrase “domestic violence”, so maybe that’s a good example of a quarry which gave her trouble, as well.

…The next letter is addressed to Nageki.

I think we should have him answer this himself.
Nageki! Nageki, are you here?

Oh, good! I was worried I’d have to call you on the announcer.
……
Is that microphone on?
Yup! We’re on the air right now.
……
W-wait! Don’t leave yet!

Just answer one question! Please?
……Fine. But once I’ve answered, I’m leaving.
Thank you! This letter was asking if you make wishes on Tanabata. I’d like to know what you wish for, too…
I don’t. Wishes are for superstitious children.
Dr. Iwamine always makes one…
Oh! Did you make them when you were younger?
…Yes.
What sort of things did you wish for back then?
……

I’m always hoping for the same thing… I know how it is.
…Are we done? I’m leaving.
Oh, yes. Sorry for holding you up. See you!
…Right.

The next one is for San! It isn’t signed. It’s a little long, but I’ll try to read it in one go.

“Hif-hif” is the Japanese onomatopoeia for sniffing.

“Mofu-mofu” is the Japanese onomatopoeia for feeling something fluffy.

“Ha-ha” is the Japanese onomatopoeia for me feeling glad that I don’t have to transcribe this mess.

Coo, coo! (Your love has been delivered!)
Cooooooo! (Will you accompany Okosan on a journey? True Pudding awaits!)

On that note, the last letter here is for San, as well. From one “Ori”!

Umm, I think I should start by talking about San’s actor. This will get a bit meta.

In reality, he isn’t interested in pudding at all. Please don’t try to feed a dove pudding!
Doves aren’t particularly hard to care for. Anyone who’s kept a budgie or sparrow or anything should find it pretty easy.
A racing bird would be a little more difficult, but for a fantail or the like a fairly small cage is fine. A rabbit cage works very well.
However, doves aren’t very common pets, so there aren’t many veterinarians who know how to treat them.
Doves are usually very healthy, and rarely get sick, but you might want to make sure there’s a clinic nearby which will receive them just in case.
They’re not common in general pet stores, but there’s usually a section for doves in places that specialize in birds. Have a look around!

Broadcast End

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 27, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

When Ryouta is answering Kanako Mikan's letter he says "Ryouta's really something." Is that an error?

Also :allears: Hiyoko is the best. Honorary jackal, heh.

And :stare: that letter to Okosan.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
That letter to Okosan was something, alright. :stare:

But at least now we all know some responsible dove-keeping tips!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

When Ryouta is answering Kanako Mikan's letter he says "Ryouta's really something." Is that an error?

Why yes it was. That has now been fixed, thanks for catching that!
Also, I should be able to get the first shrine visit up on Thursday, so be on the lookout for that.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

ChorpSaway posted:

I’m always hoping for the same thing… I know how it is.

...Ouch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the Nageki interaction really hurt. Coming after Hiyoko becoming an honorary jackal was such tone whiplash.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the Nageki interaction really hurt. Coming after Hiyoko becoming an honorary jackal was such tone whiplash.

Hatoful Boyfriend everyone.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Shrine Visit 1: Anghel

An interesting feature about the shrine visits is that there are two versions of the events: one with the bird pictures we’ve all come to love, and one with unique human character graphics, much like a more typical visual novel.
I will be showing off the humanized art, as I feel that it’s worth showing off the work that was put into making these character graphics.

Isn’t he really Catholic, though? I hadn’t expected to be invited out for something like this!
Maybe it’ll turn out that he lives in the shrine!

That is incorrect, Edel Blau.
Oh, Anghel! Happy New Year!

With no windows around to jump through, Anghel approached me surprisingly quietly.

Silver beings? What are those?

So, they’re not shrinekeepers… How do people usually refer to their job?
…Fishmongery.
Oh! I see!

I see but I can’t imagine Anghel going home every day to a fish store!

We must not let time slip by, Edel Blau.
We must obtain the Legendary Sacred Bow, Holy Slasher, before it falls into the hands of the other side!
But weren’t we going to visit the shrine?

As I asked him this, I saw a look of pain flash across Anghel’s face.
The music stops.

Agh…!

I only need a blade. Let us go, Edel Blau.

Anghel bravely enters the shrine precincts.
I guess I’ll be in for another year of having no idea what Mr. Eccentric Filipino Dove is talking about…

……

Anghel silently rummages around in the shrine office.

What are you looking for?
Did I not tell you? I seek the Legendary Sacred Bow, Holy Slasher.

Sacred bow? Shrines aren’t weapon shops… They probably don’t have anything like that.
Actually, in a shrine office, maybe…

You mean a hamaya?

I’m a person of this world too, Anghel! Just call it that from the start! And maybe next time bring me a dictionary, and have subtitles!

Umm, hamaya… They usually sell them here.

I went to ask the clerk at the shrine gift shop about their stock.

Oh!
They’re sold out, Anghel…
……

No… This cannot be…! The Sacred Bow has fallen into their hands…?

Anghel stands still, looking terribly shocked.
Are hamaya that popular? I don’t think I’ve ever bought anything from a shrine aside from charms and the occasional votive picture.

It’s okay, Anghel! Maybe they’ll be back in stock tomorrow.

I don’t mind. You invited me because you’d be lonely on your own, right?
I’ll come looking for hamaya with you whenever, if you want!

He seems relieved.
So this is what it means to rescue a soul from an eternity of painful solitude!

It was nothing, Anghel! I hope we can find a hamaya for you tomorrow.
…Indeed.
See you tomorrow, then! Bye-bye!
…Wait, Edel Blau.

The music stops.
?

Do you not feel something?
Something? Umm… like, the winter cold…?

A light?

The sky is the same winter sky as always, and the lights from the shop windows don’t look any different. What’s he talking about?

A world is but the light reflected from a fragment of the broken mirror. The fragments write out the destiny of every star in the heavens.
Is your Azure Soul satisfied with the world and the fate you see before you now?
Or perhaps it has been charmed by the fate written by a different shard of the mirror. If that is the case, then I shall…

As so I spent the rest of the day listening to Anghel ramble on about whatever crazy delusions he was having. He certainly knows how to make a conversation interesting!

And so concludes Anghel’s shrine visit event.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So I actually had to google up what a hamaya was. Sure as hell sounds like something Anghel would be into even if he wasn't a little crazy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How uncomfortable would it be to have a belt that big around your neck?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I have to admit, the humanized art makes it difficult to read this in public transport. Before it was just pictures of birds, now my screen is full of bishonen.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I can't wait to see the rest of the shrine dates, although it's weird not going out with birds.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

CherryCat posted:

I can't wait to see the rest of the shrine dates, although it's weird not going out with birds.

I want this recorded for posterity's sake. This is what going through Hatoful Boyfriend does to you, people.

Speaking of which, I'm probably one of the crazy people who actually likes seeing the humanized forms of the husbandoves. It seemed to me like a lot of effort was put into designs like Anghel's, and it's nice to see them get used.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I had absolutely no idea the human forms have alternate artwork, that's some attention to detail. :stare: I did what any decent person would do and went through the dates in bird form only.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

How uncomfortable would it be to have a belt that big around your neck?
These are the sorts of important questions I want people discussing the thread.
That said, having seen the questionable fashion choices of many RPG characters, what appears to be a semi-loose large belt around the neck seems on par. I think it might be something that comes with the hero gene.

CherryCat posted:

it's weird not going out with birds.
This is going straight on to my OKCupid profile.

Tonfa posted:

I had absolutely no idea the human forms have alternate artwork, that's some attention to detail. :stare: I did what any decent person would do and went through the dates in bird form only.
They're not all great, since a lot of them fall into pretty standard visual novel stuff, but there are a few of these scenes that are enhanced by the use of human sprites.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

They're not all great, since a lot of them fall into pretty standard visual novel stuff, but there are a few of these scenes that are enhanced by the use of human sprites.

When did you become such a deviant human-liker? That's so gross and unnatural!

:regd08:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ChorpSaway posted:

These are the sorts of important questions I want people discussing the thread.
That said, having seen the questionable fashion choices of many RPG characters, what appears to be a semi-loose large belt around the neck seems on par. I think it might be something that comes with the hero gene.

Really, it just looks like a choker that's thicker than normal, and, yeah, maybe a little looser than normal. It shouldn't be all that heavy.

More importantly, it takes a very bird-like neck to allow a double-thick belt to fit with room to spare. Ostrich, in particular.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I wonder what human-Anghel has to say about the bloodstain on his shirt. Custom dye job?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Glazius posted:

...I wonder what human-Anghel has to say about the bloodstain on his shirt. Custom dye job?

His "shirt" is actually bandages. Chuunibyo to the max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
See, it kind of looks like he's got a jacket, then a shirt under it, then he's unbuttoned both of them to show off his cool edgy bandages. Because he's just that completely pretentious.

• Locked thread