Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

1/4 cup rice, plus 1 cup beans.

3 cups water, split amongst them.

Soak overnight.

Next morning.

Drain.

Curry leaves, red chiles, coconut, salt, cumin, black peppercorns.

Grind seasonings with rice + 1/3 cup of water. Add the rest of the drained beans. Add 2/3 cup of water when it gets too thick to grind.

You end up with 2 1/2 cups of batter (give or take). You might need to add more liquid to your batter to grind it down. You don't need a smooth batter. Slightly chunky is normal, and to be expected.

See? It's relatively thick.

Make small ones, if you wish. FRY ON MEDIUM HEAT. If the pan is too hot, it'll burn before cooking.

See how they change colour? That's how you know it's time to flip.

Unf.

Or, make 'em big.

Eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Variations:

Some people just use those multi bean soup mix thingies that you can buy in the store. It works great. Just keep the ratios the same.

Ginger is your friend. Feel free to add lots of grated ginger with the seasonings. I had none, so I didn't add any. Also, onion is great. Feel free to add onion in with the seasoning if you like, and it'll be soooo good omg. I didn't have onion. Garlic is allowed, but not common. Also, feel free to add any finely chopped veg. You can add sliced onion, or finely grated carrot, or whatever else you have lying about. It's good with all the things.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
And now I know how to use up the miscellaneous dry beans in my pantry. Does the type of rice matter much? I think I have brown and basmati in stock.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Dimloep posted:

And now I know how to use up the miscellaneous dry beans in my pantry. Does the type of rice matter much? I think I have brown and basmati in stock.

I've used both, and they come out fine. For the brown rice, start the soak with hot (tap) water, and you'll be fine.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
This looks amazing. Is it served as a starter or with a main? Is there something you'd usually serve alongside like raita?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Loved the dosa I made with your instructions, going to have to try this some time too. :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Beep Street posted:

This looks amazing. Is it served as a starter or with a main? Is there something you'd usually serve alongside like raita?

Geeeeeenerally coconut chatni, or sambhar or rasam. I made the little mini ones to get the pan greased up properly, because otherwise the large ones like to stick like hell. But generally, it's a main dish.

@Miche: Adai is a lot less finicky than dosa. This thing requires no fermentation of the batter. You just soak your things, grind it all, and fry it up.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Dino, your posts now get a "when are you making that?" response when I mention Indian food to Mrs Creature instead of a face that says "Ew not again." Thanks for the recipe, I am happy to say my beans and rice are soaking now. I can't wait to make these. Even her 8 year old daughter has really opened up to a lot of the stuff you post.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Whoa. Thanks for the kind words, Creature. I hope that they turn out great for you. :)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Holy poo poo I have nearly all of these ingredients, including frozen curry leaves - the only thing missing is toor daal. It's okay to just make this with channa daal, moong daal, masoor daal and rice, right?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sjurygg posted:

Holy poo poo I have nearly all of these ingredients, including frozen curry leaves - the only thing missing is toor daal. It's okay to just make this with channa daal, moong daal, masoor daal and rice, right?

Absolutely. You can even just use those multi bean mixes you get in the store to make soup from. You can use any combination of beans that you have.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Would ground fresh turmeric be too bold here? I have so much fresh turmeric and I need to find ways to spend it :shobon:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sjurygg posted:

Would ground fresh turmeric be too bold here? I have so much fresh turmeric and I need to find ways to spend it :shobon:

Not at all. It tends to need a fair bit of seasoning. Notice that for like 1 cup of beans total, and 1/4 cup of rice, I'm using like three red chiles, and black pepper to boot. You'll get an extremely lovely aroma from it. It'll be lovely. You should, however, add some ginger to counterbalance the strength of fresh turmeric. Ever thought of drying some of the fresh turmeric, and growing the rest? It apparently grows a treat, and provides you with all the turmeric you'll ever need.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot, for sure. Both the adai and growing turmeric :D

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bump to show this thread some love because I've made these twice and can't ever find this thread.

I threw some onions in these because I had them around in the fridge. I probably could have browned them more but I didn't know how fast they'd cook. These things are delicious to make for any meal in my opinion.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Whoa. Those look lovely. Now that you have the basics down, you can tweak it to your liking. For example, sometimes I like to make the adai thinner, and have it be like a more hearty dosa. You can shred up and add any veg you have lying about. If it's a hard vegetable, like potatoes, it'll take too long to cook, but carrots, onions, bell peppers, chili peppers, and other such things go great in adai.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Would this work with an immersion blender? I have a feeling it wouldn't get smooth enough.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Invisible Ted posted:

Would this work with an immersion blender? I have a feeling it wouldn't get smooth enough.

You don't need it as smooth as dosa. It just needs to be ground to a thick batter.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I'm gonna try fermenting it, any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wachepti posted:

I'm gonna try fermenting it, any tips?

It ferments after grinding. To facilitate fermenting, add a few fenugreek seeds to the rice before you soak.

• Locked thread