Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gatts posted:

I've been saying that for a while, man. Brock is the perfect guy to TAKE it from Bryan and the WWE and them having to scramble to throw everything at him.

Yeah except for that tiny detail of having like no dates to actually work and thus any run with it being incredibly short with, at maximum with a full contract, 4 opponents or so? Also the fact that he would eventually have to lose, due to being a massive part timer, and when he does the entire 1 in 21-1 thing goes with it.

But sure, take the belt off the guy with the injury to give it to the interim champion Brock Lesnar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blasmeister posted:

Yes, Cena going over again would be so good for Bray right now.

The sad part is I can totally see them wrapping up the feud quickly and decisively to free up Cena for the title picture if Bryan's out for more than 1 PPV

2 feuds in a row where Kane wins by disappearing his opponent

Blas, shock and horror, Cena was always going to go over again at Payback. If Extreme Rules had been a better match Wyatt would have been really strong going into Payback. It just turns out someone decided to go full retard on the booking and thus everyone came out of ER looking like a loving tool. If it makes you feel better, think of it like this.

Wyatt looked a tonne better coming off a loss at Wrestlemania than a win at Extreme Rules. He will probably leave a Last Man Standing match looking like a god, because the lowest rated LMS that Cena had was with Ryback and that was 3.5 and mostly because of the No Contest ending.

Every other LMS he's been in is 4 or above, so more than likely, Wyatt/Cena is going to most likely end in a 4 star + match where Bray looks like a god drat monster anyway. If we are even really lucky, we'll see something like the Umaga ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZslMWuUbNIE&t=171s

If we are unlucky, this feud will continue past Payback. And the longer they have the more likely they are to royally gently caress it up worse than at ER.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

I've been running under the assumption that Cena will win the feud for a while because idk how you can sell Cena losing the feud and not switch up his character, but I've spoken to a fair few people who think WWE has big plans for Bray and might well have him win the feud. As the weeks of confusing promos and unclear motivations move on and the booking of the feud and the booking of the matches drift further and further apart in terms of narrative, believing that gets more appealing as something to cling on to. Bray is a wonderful promo and can deliver the material like few can but this entire feud is a mess and it's getting less and less clear what this is all about apart from 'we are having a LMS match soon', and the idea of this feud delivering something that would help Wyatt long term would be something salvageable. Otherwise a 3-match series where Cena wins 2 clean and loses one clusterfuck between them that made everyone look really stupid, but especially Wyatt is what we're left with, and that's just sad. Bray Wyatt, most promising new heel in years, and the only dude in the past ~9 months to beat Bryan clean, leader of a stable that can beat even The Shield reduced to Cena fodder of the week and unable to do poo poo to him even 3 vs. 1.

I get what you're saying about looking good in defeat, but wins and losses do matter - they protected Ryback for the longest time but he kept losing and it killed him.

Listen, I'm not arguing that the writing has gone 6 ways loving retarded, I've spoken at length about how the writing has gone 6 ways loving retarded. I could not even begin to tell you what Wyatts end-game is or what Cena's End-Game is beyond "win next match" In a smart world, ER wouldn't have been a clusterfuck of a match that made no sense, and the plot wouldn't have taken a turn down retard lane instead of focusing on the very basic story the first match was built around.

Thing is... if Wyatts entire goal is still turn Cena evil, he's not going to accomplish that in this LMS. Which means that in the end the entire feud will have essentially been for nothing, and will have wasted everyones time. That's if they intend to still end it at Payback, last I heard there's talks to KEEP IT GOING. And I have no loving idea where you go from here, I thought the Three-PPV arc of Victory, Defeat, Victory or Defeat, Victory, Victory was a good idea. Provided they kept the story on the rails.

What's the logical end to this feud? Either Cena beats Wyatt to the point where he thinks it isn't worth it anymore, or Wyatt turns him. The latter ain't happening, DOUBLE since Bryan has the neck thing. at the very least Wyatt can say "I have a victory (lovely match, but victory none the less) and two really good matches that'll make me look like a crazed monster" This is way more than Ryback can say.

He was going to job to Cena from the beginning, that was always the end-result of the feud. So at this point, best look to the positives. It's probably going to be a really good match, and even if he loses Wyatt'll probably look really good.

And hey, maybe they decide to go to 4+ PPVs (God loving forbid) Cena is 2-2-1 in LMS matches (the 1 being the Ryback no contest, and the only LMS he's ever had to get below 4 stars) He's essentially got a 50/50 chance of losing.

Now if this was an I quit match (and this is why I want it to end here, because if it goes longer and into an I quit match. This is all hosed, even if Bray WINS LMS and then goes to I quit) then Bray is completely hosed up, because even winning LMS is not going to negate "Cena made him say he quits"

So I'm looking on thje bright side, I'm hoping this ends it, and that Bray looks good coming out of it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

I think the best we can hope for in that case is a 'Harper & Rowan barred from the arena' stip, because otherwise we're getting a pile of interference and I can't see Bray looking good in defeat after that.

Yeah, unless, god loving forbid, Faces interfere on the behalf of the overwhelmed babyface. I KNOW IT'S A SHOCKING CONCEPT but maybe have some of the guys come out to save the baby face and even the odds.

Otherwise, Harper and Rowan face the Uso's for the belts and get destroyed or something to explain their absence. This really needs to be a one on one affair that makes Wyatt looks strong (which isn't hard in an LMS match) so that even if he loses, he can take something from it. Cause as much as he says "I don't care if I die" let alone win, a win still matters.

The other good (but unlikely) thing is that Cena just wails on him endlessly with chair/stair/stick whatever weapon of choosing and Bray goes down, but Cena succumbed to the dark side and let the monster loose. So even though he beat Wyatt, he lost the original reason for this feud, Wyatt wanted to prove he was a monster.

And you end the feud there and move Cena into a new opponent with that mindset, and Wyatt gets to gloat that in defeat he won, and then move on to his next target.

That's probably one of the best case scenarios, because Bray wins the mind games then.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Psycho Mantits posted:

I realize this is from a page back, but if Wyatt was always destined to job, why even do the loving feud in the first place? Why take a guy who could be a top heel, someone you're ostensibly trying to build up, and feed him to Cena? It's not like the feud has been especially compelling or anything, since the writing has been awful and outside of some drat good promos Wyatt has looked utterly incompetent in every single match. Regardless of how competitive the matches have been, Cena has proven he can fend off the entire Family singlehandedly and has shown he can do so multiple times in multiple different situations. "Looking good in a loss" (which even then I think is a dubious claim when talking about Cena - look how well that worked out for Sandow) is kinda' impossible when you and your stable can't get a single legitimate win over one loving guy.

You know I had about 4 paragraphs of answer and I decided to keep this short and sweet. Because he's the heel, it's the job of the evil heel to lose and if he runs over Cena he's literally got no competition left because he beat the 4 other top faces in the company. He did sort of beat The Shield and Bryan decisively. There's no could about this, Bray is ALREADY a top heel, when he loses the LMS, he will remain a top heel.

EDIT: And Sandow was a loving joke from the moment he got the briefcase, just like basically every other MITB holder, fact was he looked better losing to One-Arm Cena than he had since getting the case, and they did intend to do something with him until they decided to unite the titles for... whatever reason. Fact is they aren't even comparable.

I actually changed my mind, Bray should totally win, so at the next PPV they can have an I quit match and Bray Wyatt has to say "I quit" and utterly kill his character. Even if he won 10 straight matches against Cena, the end result if this keeps going is I quit, and I get giddy now thinking about it. All that suffering...

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 13, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Psycho Mantits posted:

See, I don't agree that Bray is already the top heel. He's one of my favorite guys but he's not nearly established enough for that to be true. He's only had 2 bullshit-free, legitimate wins over anyone important since his debut, and in terms of card position the Wyatts are still trumped by the Authority.

I know it's the heel's job to lose, but for that to mean anything the heel also needs to be a threat. Ever since this Cena feud started Wyatt has looked totally inept; at this point, when Cena wins it won't matter, because he'll have beaten someone who couldn't win even with a three-on-one advantage.

If Cena were a more likable character, and if the Wyatts could actually gain something from feuding with him even if they didn't win, I'd be fine with the feud. But ever since the word go it's been the standard Cena Mary Sue bullshit and I'm just really, really frustrated with that fact.

See but that's just you being wrong. He IS the top heel, because the only people higher than him is Triple H, who's a part timer, and Brock Lesnar, who's a part timer. Who's left? Orton? Orton's a jobby little bitch. Bray ran rough over the entire roster and beat the Numbers 2-5 faces in a matter of months. Now he's going against the No.1 face, who you don't like because you don't like his character, and you don't think Wyatt will gain anything from FACING THE NO.1 BABY FACE IN A MATCH THAT HE'S NEVER HAD BAD.

You can talk about how the second match of the feud was lovely and how the build to it made no sense, I have at length, but to go "Bray isn't a top heel, the top heel who's there on a permanent basis, and he'll get nothing out of having one of the best matches of his career with the No.1 Baby Face In the Company, Nay in WRESTLING RIGHT NOW. And by losing this match he's going to be buried as a character" You're delusional at that point.

Also "Mary Sue Bullshit" I would tell you to actually watch what happened in the build to wrestlemania and the actual wrestlemania match but I know you couldn't oh so possibly stomach that again. So instead, feel free to wallow in your hate.

Sanguinia posted:

Ug, don't say the wordS Bray and I Quit Match in the same sentence, I've been dreading the possibility of people suggesting it because they think Bray should be THE MAN WHO MADE CENA QUIT.

I seriously think that if PSP was booking wwe the heels would win every match because they can't seem to stand faces winning other than The Shield and they constantly want their favorite to turn heel even when it makes no sense.

No, a Bray/Cena I Quit match will always end with Bray quitting, and as JBL once famously said "Making a man say I quit means you own his soul" And if Bray wins the LMS they are most certainly going to go to I Quit. And again, Bray could beat Cena clean in 10 straight matches he moment he says I Quit it will do more damage to him than if the feud simply ended at Payback.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 13, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

Best case scenario is Bray won't quit unless Cena goes completely apeshit and beats him within an inch of his life with a chair or something, Cena wins the match but loses the moral victory; that makes them both look strong, since it was the original point of this feud, and you could build that to a kind of "Cena is shaken by his darkness and needs to find the light" storyline where he's still technically a face but he's dealing with some poo poo. Maybe have him perpetually on the edge of turning heel in this period, and then he redeems himself by beating Wyatt clean without compromising his ideals at the next pay per view or something.

I don't see how you can end the feud here logically, as retarded as it's become. If they just end it with either Cena defying the odds or Bray somehow making Cena quit it really does nothing for either character and makes the whole thing seem pointless.

By doing the ending you just said for I Quit but with Last Man Standing, which works better because it's Bray being unable to go down for 10, so Cena just wails on him until he's dead, finally keeping Bray down for a 10 but in winning the battle he loses the war AND Bray doesn't have to say "I Quit"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tato posted:

All of those people are idiots to think the WWE ever has plans. When they do have plans, they're awful and change daily. Daniel Bryan's success has never been something they planned for or helped, so him loving up their plans probably only helps him.

They have plans, just as someone famous once said "No plan survives contact with the enemy" the enemy being reality.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Man, why did Dump Matsumoto keep beating up the Crush Gals? It's a heel's job to put over the face, she should have lost all of her matches against them.

Yeah more companies should desire to follow the TNA model of always getting the heat on the heels, over and over again before attempting to do anything with the babyfaces. I honestly don't see why more don't.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mayo and Catsup posted:

In case you aren't watching or can't watch Main Event, Alicia Fox just flipped her poo poo again after losing to Emma. Shoved papers in Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton's mouths and demanded their lunch money.

Please tell me she actually demanded their lunch money.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sigma posted:

A couple times!

Be a Star Alicia...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MotU posted:

With Payback looking like its gonna be poo poo, I hope MITB goes better. In my ~*~heart of hearts~*~ I want Cesaro to win the case, have it create tensions with Heyman-Cesaro-Brock, have Brock take the title off Bryan at Summerslam (if they keep him with the title), then have Cesaro cash in on him at Summerslam after a hard fought match. Heyman can try to stop him, Cesaro will swing Heyman, instantly turning face, then beat Brock. Brock only loses by virtue of having the poo poo kicked out of him beforehand, Cesaro goes face, instant program for Cesaro, Championship not hindered by a limited appearance holder and everything works out fine forever the end

Slight problem, now we're down another heel. It will also mean that Bryans entire championship run was beating Kane once, getting injured, coming back for a month or two and then losing to Lesnar.

Also I don't see how it would cause tension, Heyman's had other clients before, so far Cesaro has been entirely loyal, unless Brock is the clingy boyfriend I don't really see that causing tension.

I can see there being no tension and Cesaro doing it anyway.

EDIT: Can I also say it's annoying listening to some people say stuff like "Crowds cheering Barrett, turn him face" while I agree that Barrett is an entertaining guy, We are down quite a number of heels, we should really be trying to elevate some guys as heels.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Nah she is going to join up with Damien Sandow as a whole rib on AJ/Punk

but AJ is coming back?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr. Baker posted:

Instead of doing another 6 man tag they should pad out the card for Payback with 3 singles matches between Evolution and Shield. Any permutation you'd get out of that would be an acceptable main event for a B ppv.

Okay I agree BUT

The idea was going to be for the Shield to go over, clearly, so do all 3 members go over? doesn't that mean Triple H has to job, which he was going to do for Reigns at Summerslam supposedly, but I would think if they continue wanting that at SS it wont happen at Payback.

So if not Reigns/Hunter, is it Rollins or Ambrose. Rollins would make the most sense since he's constantly "SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER"ing Trips whenever he's doing anything. If they want to save to Reigns/Hunter would Rollins go over? I can imagine a best-of-three series essentially where the overall winner is who wins 2/3 matches.

I dunno, it's a little bit more complex to work through than the former "Batista eats the pin because he's going away."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's probably them covering their bases if Thursdays surgery comes back and it's really bad. If it's bad, then they can vacate the titles, if it isn't, then they can try to and get interrupted by Brie or something. And we can get Brie vs Stephanie for Bryans right to keep the title. Or they'll bring up Sami Zayn to defend the title on behalf of Bryan. Or get Devitt in there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The_Rob posted:

Hopefully with D Bry having to be out for a small amount of time WWE might have to do something interesting. The worst part is that the card for Payback is pretty much the exact same card as Extreme Rules, so maybe now with no Daniel Bryan and Kane match maybe they will do a better one instead.

You're very naive you know that?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

"Whenever Brock Lesnar isn't on screen, everyone should be asking "Where's Brock Lesnar?""

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This has me wondering, no one here thinks of Bray or any of the Shield as WWE champion right now. It can't be because they feel they aren't talented, so is it a feeling that they just haven't been in the WWE long enough?

I mean, push comes to shove if they have to strip him of it, do so after Payback (so we can wrap feuds) and then schedule a tournament. Bitches love tournaments.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Vince is probably just loving furious right now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

I certainly wouldn't cry. :colbert:

That's cause you're a horrible human being.

Seriously though, we're down to like... 2 main event heels who aren't part timers and 4 main event faces. Unless they do something drastic like try to push the IC/US title as a big deal and have it main event house shows or something, if Orton and Reigns took each other out the only ME heel left would be Bray... I guess Kane but I'm not counting him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Its crazy that we talk about lack of depth with the sheer amount of talent WWE has at its disposal.

I'm sure Miz or Big Show will hit the main event soon.

Lack of depth that they've built up. which is attributed to their inability to do anything with anyone not the main eventers. So non-main eventers have to hope they get a ME program. Cause even if you formerly were an ME like Shaemus or Del Rio, you wont be doing anything in the future once you're not there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I literally don't know if this is a joke or if Impact is actually doing this. I would not be surprised by either answer.

No they'll have him do a neck injury spot and then come back stronger, because their bearded world champ is better than the WWE's bearded world champ.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hope he won't rush it, but that's good.

I think he'll maybe make Payback, if he can, but I bet he's going to stop with the Flying Headbutt, which basically everyones been wishing he would do anyway. I don't think the match will necessarily be a good one if he does make it back, since they'll probably play it safe anyway. but hell, I'll take him squashing Kane in 2 minutes while keeping from taking a potentially bad bump.

But still, ya know, if he can't who cares, they wont strip him if it's just a month and a bit he'll be out.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

If you are Chris Benoit you just crash head first onto the body or a steel chair. Bryan lands more on his side so he's not really hitting head first. There are many other reasons for him to have neck problems.

Like? Not sarcasm, actual curiosity.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well Devitt would have needed a very special deal to be tempted from the money he was earning in NJPW

Also here's the latest observer rounds

quote:

WWE champion Daniel Bryan is expected out of action six to eight weeks, if not less. Bryan will be off the company’s next major event, Payback, on 6/1 in Chicago.
Most of the details surrounding the surgery have been kept quiet.
What is known is that Bryan was examined during the past week for neck problems that were believed to be the result of wear and tear of 15 years of hard hitting and high flying pro wrestling and told to have minor surgery before it gets worse.
While six to eight weeks has been used as the timetable, we’re told that time frame right now is considered a worst-case scenario and he could be back in just a few weeks. A lot more would be known once he has the surgery.

The 5/17 Korakuen Hall show, with KENTA’s final appearance, sold out about ten days in advance, which is no surprise. It was reported in Tokyo Sports, using Takashi Sugiura as the source, that KENTA will debut with WWE in Orlando over the summer.

Several New Japan wrestlers including Jushin Liger and Ryusuke Taguchi are mad that Kota Ibushi declined doing the Best of the Super Juniors tournament this year. Ibushi, as noted last week, claimed exhaustion in trying to keep up with a full-time DDT schedule as well as work the major shows for New Japan.

Not that this was a surprise, since it had been known by New Japan for a long time that Prince Devitt was leaving when he didn’t sign a new deal in January (and wrestlers with the promotion were aware of it earlier than that), but he wrote on Twitter, “Thank you New Japan for the most wonderful eight years. I will never forget you.”

There is a lot of internal concern regarding the G-1 finals on 8/10 at the Seibu Dome in Tokorazawa. This is insane, but apparently they built a 34,000 seat baseball stadium without air conditioning. It was noted that in that city at that time of the year, it can get to 104 degrees and the humidity is brutal. I’ve been to Japan several times in August and if you’re outside for five minutes, you feel like you need a shower, it’s that humid and hot. The show starts at 2:40 p.m. local time. New Japan is looking at some air conditioning specialists to put temporary cooling into the building for the show.

From people who spent time with the New Japan guys this past week, the message to me was that what I’ve been writing about Hiroshi Tanahashi only scratches the surface. It was basically to enjoy watching Tanahashi and Shinsuke Nakamura in big-time singles main events while you can, because their backs are thrashed and when fans aren’t around they move around like old men.

In ROH, Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian at this point are the only newcomers we’re aware of scheduled for the 6/22 PPV debut from Nashville.

Kurt Angle may be almost done with TNA. He just had another knee operation, this time a reconstructive surgery as opposed to the arthroscopic surgery that he was just coming back from. This will keep him out for five months, so he says, which is mid-October. His contract expires in September.

TNA, which had more than 60 performers under contract two years ago, is down to 33 performers after three more departures this past week, Chris Sabin, Frankie Kazarian and Hernandez.

With the first round of network subscriptions coming due on 9/2, the WWE is looking to load up the 9/21 Night of Champions show in Nashville. Lesnar is to return for a two-show program, starting at SummerSlam and continuing at NOC.

The $1 rise in price of Netflix is something to watch regarding the WWE network. A $1 price range, if the company should do it, brings in $7 million or more per year in revenue.

The reason a lot of WCW theme music is now being used on the network instead of dubbed over is settling some deals as well as the settlement of a lawsuit by Jimmy Papa, who had produced music for both WCW and World Class.

It’s been noted to us what an impossible position Paul Levesque has been put in when it comes to talent relations, because Vince McMahon is still the guy making all the final calls, and he changes his mind frequently. It’s become a big frustration of talent that they are told a certain direction by Levesque, and then Levesque is put in the position of having to get with the talent again and explain that what he told them before isn’t happening. Either he’s really good, or he’s in a bad position, because talent for the most part sees him as one of them and that he’s frustrated from above when things change.

Regarding Punk, from a source very close to the situation, he’s had no contact with WWE in some time.

We’ve heard more pay grumbling from referees, noting that they are having troubles making it due to road expenses. Because they are paid less than talent, but paid the same way, based on how the business is doing, they get hurt the worst when payoffs are down at the house shows because they’ve got the same road expenses, which are not going down, and in many cases increasing.

Right now the Payback show only has two matches announced, with Evolution vs. The Shield and Cena vs. Wyatt last man standing. There were hints of Evolution vs,. Shield being an elimination match based on promos, but that could be reading more into the promos than need be. The match has been announced thus far without stipulations. Usos vs. Harper & Rowan for the tag titles was scheduled a week ago, and everything on television is still going in that direction. Swagger vs Adam Rose was talked about last week and things are still going in that direction. Barrett won the IC title and wasn’t even on any TV this week.

The expectation for the arrival of Fergal Devitt is the late summer, tentatively August.

The San Francisco Giants have adopted the Bryan “Yes” chant.

Annie Kruger, who had been with Showtime in the sports communications department (public relations) working with media for the past six years, will be starting soon as the Senior Manager of Network public relations for WWE.

Among those who were Rosebuds on TV this week, they included former WCW star Norman Smiley (NXT trainer), and NXT wrestlers Braun Stowman (the big strongman dude), Simon Gotch (the little guy), Becky Lynch (formerly Rebecca Knox) and Ryan Katz, an associate producer at NXT. The three wrestlers are among those regularly used in his ring entrance in Orlando. In Orlando, most of the people in the entrance are developmental wrestlers who haven’t been given a character on television.

The former Drake Younger, under his real name of Drake Wuertz, was refereeing NXT house shows over the weekend, which seems to confirm rumors that he was going in to be a referee rather than a wrestler. We’re told that when he heard back from his tryout, he was told that they weren’t looking at anymore cruiserweight sized guys (there always going to be exceptions to every rule but that’s the general rule right now) because they have enough in the system, which led to him making a deal to get in as a referee.

When they do tryouts nowadays, they tell everyone to be careful what you write in social media and not say anything to get you into trouble. The most notable situation there was with Mark & Jay Briscoe, who were in when their ROH contracts expired, but when Jay wrote the wrong thing on Twitter, about not wanting someone gay teaching his kid, which he immediately apologized for, WWE wouldn’t touch him or his brother.

Layla and Summer Rae are going to do a program when Rae returns to TV since they’ve been doing a storyline feud back-and-forth on Twitter based on the idea Layla got Fandango away from her.

Yoshi Tatsu suffered a smashed and deeply cut finger and is out of action when he dropped a weight on it while working out.

There was a really cool deal that aired over the weekend on the Japanese TV show “Knight Scoop,” a variety show. The segment was about a 97-year-old woman who has loved pro wrestling dating back to the days of Rikidozan. She’s now in Hospice Care and she passes the time watching pro wrestling DVDs. Her favorite stuff now is the comedy Dragon Gate matches, particularly Gamma and Yosuke Santa Maria (who dresses up like a woman). Even though she’s been a fan for 60 years, she had never attended a live match. There are times when they think she is going to go into a coma, but the nurses put in a wrestling DVD and she opens her eyes and starts watching. The segment then showed Santa Maria and Gamma dressed up like doctors coming to the Hospice care facility, but at first she didn’t recognize them. Eventually she did. Then they opened the blinds and showed in the back yard, a wrestling ring was set up. They wheeled her and the other people living there to the ring and several of the wrestlers did a tag match, mostly comedy spots, but they did dives. They also gave her a whip to whip Gamma, who sold it big. They showed her all thrilled touching the ring post and the ring for the first time and reacting to near falls and such.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well he's still able to La Mistica into a Yes Lock.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

quote:

The Daily Beast has an article up about WWE using Vladimir Putin's image in the promos of Lana and Alexander Rusev. A WWE spokesman issued the following comments to the website: "WWE programming, like Hollywood movies and television shows, is an exciting blend of action, characters and fictional storylines of good versus evil that are often inspired by pop culture and current events. Russian President Vladimir Putin has given us good material to work with to create strong characters in Rusev and Lana, who are perceived as either protagonists or antagonists depending on where in the world you are watching WWE programming."

I'm pretty sure Rusev isn't a protagonist, even in Russia.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also, Wrestling Superstar Virgil was featured in a wwe video by name in the year of our lord 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpASIkSZDM

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Counterpoint:

I dunno, I think dating Lana for realsys makes him the greatest heel of all time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gatts posted:

I don't see why we can't have a Brie Bella goes after Kane storyline pissed off at him for hurting Bryan. Let's subvert.

If only she could wrestle like Bryan. :( maybe she can hire Seth Rollins from the Shield since there is no APA. Or Barrett bare knuckle fighter.

I said she could go after Steph to stop her from stripping the title, since she's been perceived as the load in the feud and what the Stephanie has used Kane to go after to gently caress with Bryan. It would be nice for her to turn it around and challenge the boss with whether or not the title would be stripped on the line.

I know it wont be a great match, and Steph would need a body guard Kharma but it would also solve the "Steph needs to get her comeuppance" stuff people threw around.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think as Dave noted, the WWE is basically what keeps USA as the No.1 network, they NEED them. And the point of contention with Soccer being offered a similar deal for significantly less ratings, the WWE really is undervalued, but then ad revenue is also to be considered.

But yeah, I didn't expect double but if they GOT double (which I think is what they told the stock holders they expected to get) would be a ray of good news.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well their TV deal didn't turn out to be the big money bonanza that McMahon et al were hyping it up to be. As far as I can tell it's about the same as it was before, not double like some people were saying.

72 million dollars more is nowhere close to "the same as it was before" which was 108 Million.

It's just not the $260 million that some were expecting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Thauros posted:

Yeah, they'd probably be better off right now if they had managed their stockholders' expectations better instead of talking about doubling their rights which simply wasn't going to happen.

Pretty much, it's not unreasonable to expect they get a big rights increase because they alone let USA remain the No.1 channel and as Dave was talking about the Soccer gets way more than WWE does for nowhere near the same ratings.

But the thing is, the WWE has spent the better part of a decade trying to sell themselves as not sport, but entertainment, because Vince is Crazy and Dunn hates the fact he works in Wrestling. But as it turns out, all the rights money is in sport. So now they're trying to undo 10 years+ of entertainment conditioning and sell themselves as sport, for all that sweet sports rights money.

Did they do poorly? absolutely not it's a very nice increase from what they were making. But it's not what people expected, and it's not what they could have brought in, if not for the fact they've basically assassinated themselves for 10+ years.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Thauros posted:

It not just their own marketing stratetgy until very recently, it's also that networks can't get ad money for wrestling anywhere close to sports with similar (or lower) ratings since advertisers view wrestling fans as primarily falling into undesirable demos.

Which is ridiculous for its own reasons, and one of the key facets of Vince being loving looney about how his product is perceived, unfortunately no matter what they do that perception is never going to change, even at its highest point people looked down negatively at Wrestling.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gatts posted:

Wrestling is better than most "sports" when it fires on all cylinders. The dudes are all athlete performers and a complete package. Any dumbass can get into the best shape and go punch a dude. Who cares. But to craft a story and to make it look good while not actually trying to hit the other guy takes skill brains and control.

Unless you are Ali. He got it. Entertained hyped and backed it all up. He's the protoype.

Doesn't matter, all that matters is a bunch of people who are important enough to matter see Wrestling as that thing from the Carnivals that was made for hicks with 8 kids who live in the sticks. Associate MY product with that degenerate garbage? how uncouth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay you wanna know why the WWE will never be able to make the bucks?

Because people like the people in the comments here still exist.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/16/investing/wwe-cable-deal/index.html

This is what they think of Wrestling fans, this is how, after everything wrestling has gone through, it is still seen by the public.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Freebird Rule that belt. I want to see flippydos.

I was actually thinking that before. Have them Freebird the belt, thus averting the usual jealousy of the title belt. Which leads to the authority scheduling a Triple Threat to determine who gets to keep the belt in an effort to break them up, however the shield bond is too strong and they still all celebrate with the winner.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

Tonight's Smackdown had Cena at his Cena-est. How did you people survive the years when this poo poo was the main event?

Because it was way better in 06/07?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ThePariah posted:

Wrestling in general or Cena's booking?

Little bitta column A, little bitta column B. Stories were different, he was at the height of his good feuds, won Wrestler of the Year in 07 which was well deserved. Had Edge, Michaels, Umaga, Booker, and Orton which was new at the time and Orton was just turning psychotic. I mean... he's probably a better wrestler now than he was then, but his booking was arguably better even if this was a time when he was basically champion for a year.

Wrestling had its problems, his booking had its problems, but it was a good time for Cena, and he could still pretty easily get the crowd on his side with a promo back then.

Now his booking is much worse, despite his talent being better, and he was only 3-4 years into the face run by 07 and it was very much different from how he was now.

Again if you need to really see the big jump in change between was/is watch his interactions with JBL in 05, and then watch them in 09.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

omgomgomg posted:

Let's hope that in addition to Bryan's and punk's and possibly reign's absence; Cena, HHH, Batista and Orton leave. So, that, with the stock going down, and Vince's steak diet, the wwe implodes.

Why would we hope that?

• Locked thread