Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I had a similar problem with DQ11's protagonist, pretty sure I've posted in this thread about it. So much emotional stuff happens and he's central to a lot of it and he barely reacts while everyone else most certainly does. The worst part is (relatively early game spoilers when returning to your hometown) that in the past kid Protagonist actually is voiced and emotes like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cleretic posted:

Alyx, who mentions you're 'not much of a talker'

This is actually my major reason for hating silent protagonists because it seems script writers just cannot help themselves to add this dumb joke. Every time.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Alyxs corny rear end jokes are supposed to be endearing but I hated her and I hated having an entire episode of half-life dedicated to saving your video game waifu.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I cannot imagine playing FE:Three Houses and thinking “gosh I wish there was more dialogue”.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

IIRC, Owlboy has the exact same thing going on except it is literally text that your character is mute so it adds an extra nasty feeling to how much everyone shits on him.

Owlboy did, which is what killed it for me. Everyone shat on Otis so much that it turned into a chronic depression simulator, and I don't need a game for that.

I'm all for video game protagonists overcoming social and emotional adversity, but when it's handled poorly and every win is (sometimes literally) slapped away by everyone around the protagonist, it turns into pure misery.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can give Iconoclasts a pass because the characters in the game are all broken in a way - some of the literally - and Robin is like some uber-atheist in an extremely authoritarian theocratic world.

I would nominate Agent Black or maybe Elro as the ones that really get it rough, but the game never tries to pretend it is going to be a merry walk in the park. It's grim and pessimistic most of the time but with a little bit of hope at certain points that stop it from being just a misery simulator.

re: Silent Protags - Destiny 2 is weird about this. The PC is not mute, as they get one or two lines in the opening but, for some reason, for the rest(I have not played everything) of the game it's your companion cube that does all the talk which I thought was a bit weird. Maybe there's an explanation for it in some hidden log, I don't know.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just finished my second run through Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the story is awesome. Despite having a multitude of other things I want to play, I STILL felt compelled to start a third run through to see the other house's story. I did Black Eagles first, then Golden Deer (who I initially hated but grew on me a lot). The thing that really dragged by the end was the thing that makes it so novel in the beginning.. the Monastery system. I saw a newer player comment recently so I'll keep spoilers to a minimum (zero story spoilers here), but by the end of the game, your team is basically where you want them to be, you're swimming in gear and resources.. It was just a sea of menus and me rushing to farm and eat as much food with people as possible to get their motivation up. I didn't even do side battles other than Paralogues, which were all interesting and useful. So you end up with a major story battle, then the entire MONTH to "prepare", which by the end takes you all of one visit to the Battalion Guild to resupply, maybe patch up some weapons and buy some healing items. You're never allowed to take more than 12 actual units into battle (+ 3 secondaries) so once your team was established you don't really deal with half the people you could potentially recruit. My last 4-5 months of Golden Deer was just a slog to the end when I honestly could have done all the battles back to back. Now granted, I was playing on Normal/Casual because I'm a dad and I get like an hour to game a night so I'm not looking for my relaxation time to be stressful. My third/final run is going to be Hard, but still Casual because gently caress permadeath. I guess if you were doing a permadeath run all the extra people would make sense to fill in gaps.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Samuringa posted:

re: Silent Protags - Destiny 2 is weird about this. The PC is not mute, as they get one or two lines in the opening but, for some reason, for the rest(I have not played everything) of the game it's your companion cube that does all the talk which I thought was a bit weird. Maybe there's an explanation for it in some hidden log, I don't know.

The PC wasn't mute in Destiny 1. In Destiny 2 they changed this to save on voice actor costs better let you feel that you are the character. They gave you some lines again in the newest release, but I haven't played enough to know the extent.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

You get like 4 in the new expansion, but its only in prerendered cutscenes. You still don't talk to anyone talking to you ingame and its very lame.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I've played Destiny for years and don't give a poo poo if my character talks in the looter-shooter. The voice doesn't match the look I picked years ago and desperately wish I could change, so I just leave my helmet on and pretend like my ghost hosed up my voice when I was resurrected I'm embarrassed about how I sound.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I played a fair amount of both Destinies and I don't have a single memory of my character voice beyond the "oof ow ack" getting hit/jumping around noises changing a bit.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are other games are where it advantageous not to progress past a certain point because it'll only make things harder or annoying? Like never killing the first dragon in Skyrim so you can explore the world unmolested.

Basically all free-roaming games which have unsignaled point of no return to start hours long end-game sequence with no play-after-the-end feature, bonus points for not providing a separate auto save point just before starting.

Luckily this has become less of an issue and I don't even remember the last time I was trapped on one.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I played a fair amount of both Destinies and I don't have a single memory of my character voice beyond the "oof ow ack" getting hit/jumping around noises changing a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdMn3yFOdLc (Edited for better video)

That's the first one from Destiny 2 that comes to mind, from Forsaken. Very brief. Just "generic tough guy". They spoke more in D1 I think but it's been a while.

New Leaf has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Oct 7, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally got a switch, but had to send the controller in for repairs as I had the Joycon Drift issue, so in the mean time I'm trying again with Mario Galaxy 1. Not a fan of motion controls in general, and while some minigames like the surfing are fun in concept, they were better in Sunshine and other games with standard control schemes. That's something I like with Odyssey so far, it doesn't need you to use motion controls much, most stuff is done with the buttons and sticks. Way less frustrating.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

If you own a Switch you're doing yourself a major disservice by not using the Pro Controller. I know it kinda defeat's the purpose of portability but I treat the Switch like any other console and the Pro Controller feels fantastic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

New Leaf posted:

If you own a Switch you're doing yourself a major disservice by not using the Pro Controller. I know it kinda defeat's the purpose of portability but I treat the Switch like any other console and the Pro Controller feels fantastic.

Pro Controller is pretty much the best of all time, steals the basic Xbox layout but button position is slightly better and it has a nice heft. Also gently caress the joycons, they suck

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Iconoclasts suffers from a muddled plot and an extremely bitter tone. The worst part is you play a silent-protagonist who is constantly patronised, insulted, and debased by the entire cast. It really made me wish there was a "Punch NPC in the face" option during conversation.

iconoclasts sort of pulled it off (in contrast to owlboy, mentioned above) because the cast insulting the protagonist are mostly a gaggle of miserable shitheads, dropouts, and failures, and the protagonist powers through them all and keeps fixing their messes

most of them aren't even terrible in a very remarkable way, which ironically makes them more interesting. i haven't seen many video game characters who are as endlessly and deliberately unpleasant as Elro

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pro Controller is pretty much the best of all time, steals the basic Xbox layout but button position is slightly better and it has a nice heft. Also gently caress the joycons, they suck

I'll look that up tomorrow, see if I can find it in my local shops. Does the pro controller avoid the drift problem entirely?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll look that up tomorrow, see if I can find it in my local shops. Does the pro controller avoid the drift problem entirely?

Yes, the drift problem is a design defect in the Joycons. This is an entirely different beast. It's not cheap, but it's rock solid. https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/dp/B01NAWKYZ0?th=1

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Speaking of controllers, I've been giving quick tries to a bunch of PS3 games on Now since I stick with Nintendo that generation. Am I imagining it or did the default conventions for PS shoulder buttons swap between PS3 & 4?
I feel like I'm thrown off by every game assuming R1/L1 for the most common actions (e.g. aiming/shooting) when I'm expecting R2/L2. Those ones are more awkward to reach and make my fingers cramp up faster, I guess it's the controls dragging possibly every PS3 game down.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

If you don't want to shell out for the Switch Pro controller, I use an 8BitDo SN30 Pro as one, and it works just fine. They're cheaper, and also work as a PC controller.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oxxidation posted:

most of them aren't even terrible in a very remarkable way, which ironically makes them more interesting. i haven't seen many video game characters who are as endlessly and deliberately unpleasant as Elro

Well, Elro lost his wife and daughter. After that, he gets his arm torn off, quite literally. We're so used to media in which the person who suffers like that powers through it and recovers for the sake of everyone, but Elro's depression just consumes him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Switch thread rants about the Pro controller having a terrible dpad

But the Switch thread has brain worms so it might actually be a perfectly fine pad

Edit: joycons are garbage though and just don't work for me if I play disconnected

Len has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Oct 7, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Everybody has some degree of brain worms but hardcore nintendo folk have the worst brain worms.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW is it just me or has Mario's voice gotten a lot more high-pitched since Galaxy? Sunshine seems to have more of a bass to it when he says "Super Mario Sunshine!" but Galaxy onwards feel a lot tinnier sounding.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW is it just me or has Mario's voice gotten a lot more high-pitched since Galaxy? Sunshine seems to have more of a bass to it when he says "Super Mario Sunshine!" but Galaxy onwards feel a lot tinnier sounding.

Yeah, Mario's voice has gotten higher over the years. It's not even really obvious most of the time. It actually hit me in Mario Odyssey, where I noticed that while everything looks right in the Mario 64 throwbacks, it sure doesn't sound right.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's not a great dpad, but like, you've got a million other things to play dpad centric games on.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cleretic posted:

Okay, that's a... weird one. Because the only Fire Emblem I've actually played is one of the GBA ones, but I very distinctly remember the protagonist having a fair amount of lines in that game (granted, GBA, so nobody was voiced). So that's a relatively recent change.

It's especially weird when the protagonist of FE:Fates (the previous non-remake/rerelease Fire Emblem) had fully voiced dialog and conversations in cutscenes, along with gender choice and a customizable appearance that was reflected in their dialog-box sprite. :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

The Switch thread rants about the Pro controller having a terrible dpad

But the Switch thread has brain worms so it might actually be a perfectly fine pad

Edit: joycons are garbage though and just don't work for me if I play disconnected

Eh, the dpad's fine. It'll hit an accidental miscue once in a while if you're scrambling in Tetris or something, but not often enough to hate it, and it feels fine. Again, it's a million times better than the equivalent buttons on the joycon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ItBreathes posted:

It's not a great dpad, but like, you've got a million other things to play dpad centric games on.

I've been assured it's literally unusable unless you open the shell and put tape under it

Captain Hygiene posted:

Eh, the dpad's fine. It'll hit an accidental miscue once in a while if you're scrambling in Tetris or something, but not often enough to hate it, and it feels fine. Again, it's a million times better than the equivalent buttons on the joycon.

I mean sane people might feel that way. But the games part of this forum feels strongly about dpads to begin with add in the Nintendo brainworms and you get literally unusable

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think the Pro Controller's D-pad is any better than the Joy-con's, aside from being bigger, but I haven't found it to be any worse either.

My only real issue with the Pro, which I otherwise love, is that it's shaped exactly like an Xbox One controller except the A and B buttons are reversed, which is super fun when switching between the two consoles.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My only real issue with the Pro, which I otherwise love, is that it's shaped exactly like an Xbox One controller except the A and B buttons are reversed, which is super fun when switching between the two consoles.

Xbox is the backwards one :colbert:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Glukeose posted:

Re: silent protags, I just jumped into the Fire Emblem franchise with Three Houses and while I really love it so far, the mute protagonist is an absolute black hole for dramatic tension in the story.

It's not like you have any agency in the development of the character, so them being totally silent just serves to make them look like a weird robot when their father is killed or their mentor turns into a dragon. Given how the rest of the cast is fully voiced, it really stands out when all my PC can muster is a head nod, grunt noise, and single motion with their forearm. This is especially egregious in cases where the NPCs are having full-blown emotional breakdowns with the PC. It just feels like it clangs with the heightened emotional tone of this anime-rear end swordman game.

It's also bizarre when you level up and your PC does actually talk. So there is voice acting for them, but it's only in generic combat barks.

It doesn't help that 70% of the game's dialog is other characters gushing about how amazing the mute protagonist is.

New Leaf posted:

My last 4-5 months of Golden Deer was just a slog to the end when I honestly could have done all the battles back to back. Now granted, I was playing on Normal/Casual because I'm a dad and I get like an hour to game a night so I'm not looking for my relaxation time to be stressful. My third/final run is going to be Hard, but still Casual because gently caress permadeath. I guess if you were doing a permadeath run all the extra people would make sense to fill in gaps.[/spoiler]

I had the same experience on hard/classic fwiw. Permadeath is a complete non-factor with the super generous rewind mechanic, it pretty much just prevents you from sending guys on suicide missions.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Oct 7, 2019

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

It's super loving goofy. I'm already signed up for the abundance of anime dialogue, it would honestly make it better if the PC was a fully realized character.

Characters are constantly like "wow professor you've really inspired me, thanks for your sage counsel!" as the protag just stares into the middle distance and gestures vaguely.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't think the Pro Controller's D-pad is any better than the Joy-con's, aside from being bigger, but I haven't found it to be any worse either.

Uh, the Joy-con doesn't have a dpad.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Uh, the Joy-con doesn't have a dpad.

Whatever the directional buttons on the left joy-con are called. Pro controller’s D-pad doesn’t seem any better or worse than those to me

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Whatever the directional buttons on the left joy-con are called. Pro controller’s D-pad doesn’t seem any better or worse than those to me

The actual dpad is ten times better than the buttons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I don't like the feel of those, and they're situated such that it's tough to roll around between directions like with a continuous pad.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Len posted:

I've been assured it's literally unusable unless you open the shell and put tape under it

If you want a nice, meaty (S)NES style dpad, it ain't that, the thing's tiny. Pretty sure I played shovel Knight with the stick.

But they way people go on about it you'd think the switch is a 2D system.

Miles better than the joycon buttons, though with hands the size of mine the joycons are almost literally unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Either i'm incredibly stupid or Destiny 2 does not have a great new player experience.