Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Something I don't like about Miles Morales, and this applies to a lot of media really, is that the Tinkerer is so good at fighting.

Like, yeah, they have super tech that can make them jump high, run fast, punch real strong, basically give them super powers. Buy unless they also have some sort of brain drugs or something, there's absolutely no way they'd be able to take on someone with superhuman strength, agility, and reflexes.

The ability to fight is a skill, not something that can be grafted on with tech. Just because you can punch hard doesn't mean you can punch well, and it certainly doesn't mean you can react to someone punching you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, if you choose a starting point other than the train station you just have to kill the two targets and escape.

It's a good system that the game does not explain properly.

:aaaaa: well that changes things considerably, it's a really cool map but I was kind of dreading playing more of it just because of that nonsense. Thanks for the tip!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Crusader Kings 2 is one of those games I should love, as I loved the diplomacy and historical aspects of Medieval Total War back in the day and I was really intrigued by all the funny screenshots people have posted here on SA. But I just kind of don't get it, it's overwhelming at every turn, and this is after I've looked through the tutorial LP thread for advice. There's an in-game tutorial, but it doesn't really direct you how to do what it wants you to do. Getting troops on and off of boats in particular seems overly complicated. I'll keep having a go because it's probably just me being an idiot, but overall it's just too much right now. At least it's free.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Morpheus posted:

Something I don't like about Miles Morales, and this applies to a lot of media really, is that the Tinkerer is so good at fighting.

Like, yeah, they have super tech that can make them jump high, run fast, punch real strong, basically give them super powers. Buy unless they also have some sort of brain drugs or something, there's absolutely no way they'd be able to take on someone with superhuman strength, agility, and reflexes.

The ability to fight is a skill, not something that can be grafted on with tech. Just because you can punch hard doesn't mean you can punch well, and it certainly doesn't mean you can react to someone punching you.

What if he has tech that punches well for him? Think about THAT ONE.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

What if he has tech that punches well for him? Think about THAT ONE.

That's a universal problem for superhero stuff, and this is my universal handwave for it. Every superhero reality has quietly undergone an AI revolution.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Like a Dragon has a final boss who goes with zero-effort, which is justified since they spend the first half of their life in a wheelchair and the latter as a politician.

The actual challenge is the dude fought immediately before him, who looks like Wario with realistic textures slapped on, and he can kill you in one hit because of course you lose in this JRPG if the leader falls.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

:aaaaa: well that changes things considerably, it's a really cool map but I was kind of dreading playing more of it just because of that nonsense. Thanks for the tip!

They also changed the Colorado map from Hitman 1 when you play it in 3, escaping by the bunker is optional on repeat playthroughs. Not sure if that requires a different start point though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To continue my gripes about being a gunner in PSO2: Now that I'm fighting things that have parts that don't break when I hit it 10 times, now I get the joy of tagging a part and then the boss constantly.loving.moving. I'll try and build my combo and they're spinning around and flipping and dashing to the other side of the arena at mach 5. Even worse when I try to use my finisher, the most damaging finisher for gunner is this slow mo matrix front dive while shooting your gun then spinning around. So of course the slow leap towards my target gives the boss ample time to just turn around or gently caress off to the other side of the area. Then if the boss has different phases then them going between phases will just remove your chain, even if the change is just an arena change but the boss is completely the same. gently caress you, wait another minute before trying again.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Crusader Kings 2 is one of those games I should love, as I loved the diplomacy and historical aspects of Medieval Total War back in the day and I was really intrigued by all the funny screenshots people have posted here on SA. But I just kind of don't get it, it's overwhelming at every turn, and this is after I've looked through the tutorial LP thread for advice. There's an in-game tutorial, but it doesn't really direct you how to do what it wants you to do. Getting troops on and off of boats in particular seems overly complicated. I'll keep having a go because it's probably just me being an idiot, but overall it's just too much right now. At least it's free.

If the setting interests you, switch to Crusader Kings 3 as soon it is economically viable to you. CK3 does almost everything CK2 in its final form did right out the box, and is much more streamlined both in UI and mechanics wise. Only the secret socities, optional alt-history events like Mayan invasion, and playing as a merchant republic are completely missing from base-CK3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Veotax posted:

They also changed the Colorado map from Hitman 1 when you play it in 3, escaping by the bunker is optional on repeat playthroughs. Not sure if that requires a different start point though.

They fixed that in 2 (as well as adding in foliage to hide in) and it carried over to 3. I think the only requirement is that you have to escape through the bunker on your first time.

It's still one of the weaker maps in the series but it's measurably better than it was on release.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

If the setting interests you, switch to Crusader Kings 3 as soon it is economically viable to you. CK3 does almost everything CK2 in its final form did right out the box, and is much more streamlined both in UI and mechanics wise. Only the secret socities, optional alt-history events like Mayan invasion, and playing as a merchant republic are completely missing from base-CK3.

Yeah, I was going to post the same thing, CK3 is probably easier to get into than 2. Of course you might want to keep your eye on the clock and refund it if you're still not feeling it after an hour and 45 minutes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Like a Dragon has a final boss who goes with zero-effort, which is justified since they spend the first half of their life in a wheelchair and the latter as a politician.

The actual challenge is the dude fought immediately before him, who looks like Wario with realistic textures slapped on, and he can kill you in one hit because of course you lose in this JRPG if the leader falls.

The leader has a skill that lets them survive a one-hit kill, probably exactly for this reason

There are also items you can equip that do the same in case you want to save a turn using the skill

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I was going to post the same thing, CK3 is probably easier to get into than 2. Of course you might want to keep your eye on the clock and refund it if you're still not feeling it after an hour and 45 minutes.

CK3 is also on Gamepass, if you have that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gort posted:

The leader has a skill that lets them survive a one-hit kill, probably exactly for this reason

There are also items you can equip that do the same in case you want to save a turn using the skill

That fight is the one time I really needed that skill so o naturally forgot it existed and met the same fate as the other guy. Outside of the OHKO thing it was a pretty good boss fight though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Every time I start Horizon Zero Dawn, it does a shader cache optimization thing which takes a bit over 2 minutes at 100% CPU. A rational person would expect this shader cache data to be saved somewhere, but I guess the people who ported the game were not loving rational.

Seems to be a very common gripe about the game, from checking steam discussions and the internet.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Leal posted:

To continue my gripes about being a gunner in PSO2: Now that I'm fighting things that have parts that don't break when I hit it 10 times, now I get the joy of tagging a part and then the boss constantly.loving.moving. I'll try and build my combo and they're spinning around and flipping and dashing to the other side of the arena at mach 5. Even worse when I try to use my finisher, the most damaging finisher for gunner is this slow mo matrix front dive while shooting your gun then spinning around. So of course the slow leap towards my target gives the boss ample time to just turn around or gently caress off to the other side of the area. Then if the boss has different phases then them going between phases will just remove your chain, even if the change is just an arena change but the boss is completely the same. gently caress you, wait another minute before trying again.

Really, both of the fully ranged classes feel like they really struggle and got left behind by the game it actually became, ranger just has a ton of very useless trap skills for some reason and a bunch of weird stuff, plus the fact that they are meant to stay still and shoot while everyone else is just flipping around and super mobile. I genuinely feel like starting the game as anything other than bouncer, braver, or maybe summoner is a bad idea.

Thank god new genesis is maybe going to overhaul the default classes, I like the idea of playing fighter but man I just see no point when successor classes and bouncer and braver exist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

Every time I start Horizon Zero Dawn, it does a shader cache optimization thing which takes a bit over 2 minutes at 100% CPU. A rational person would expect this shader cache data to be saved somewhere, but I guess the people who ported the game were not loving rational.

Seems to be a very common gripe about the game, from checking steam discussions and the internet.

It’s only supposed to do that once unless it updates.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

The thing that dragged HZD the most for me was the game not having an inventory sort option. So when I found a weapon I'd missed in an earlier part of the game after already getting the best (purple maybe?) versions it stayed at the top of the list forever taunting me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The last time I played HZD was before I got into all the AssCreeds and such, and one little thing I'm noticing in retrospect is that it'd be nice to be able to manually switch the time of day. Not a huge problem, but sometimes I get tired of squinting around at night, especially in the DLC where you sometimes get heavy snowstorms. PC folks are saying to quicksave 10 or 15 times to incrementally advance the time, but that doesn't seem to do anything on Playstation.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Captain Hygiene posted:

The last time I played HZD was before I got into all the AssCreeds and such, and one little thing I'm noticing in retrospect is that it'd be nice to be able to manually switch the time of day. Not a huge problem, but sometimes I get tired of squinting around at night, especially in the DLC where you sometimes get heavy snowstorms. PC folks are saying to quicksave 10 or 15 times to incrementally advance the time, but that doesn't seem to do anything on Playstation.

Can't you save at a campfire to advance time an arbitrary number of hours?

EDIT: That's what the internet is saying to do 15 or so times. I could have sworn it was literally "saving advances time 6-8 hours automatically", but apparently I'm wrong.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
God that annoyed me for years in WoW - the game used a real-time day-night cycle based off server time, so if you played at the same time each day you were seeing the same light levels - depending on your timezone and play hours you might never see daylight.

Eventually they added a consumable to set the game to visually daytime, but it was painful for years and years.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I don't like it when you arrive into a new RPG city and it's massive and everything is open immediately, so you have six different boroughs and 30 buildings you can visit (+ sewer) and eighty npcs with a dialogue tree and it takes at least five hours to get to know the place, before you can continue with the story missions.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kennel posted:

I don't like it when you arrive into a new RPG city and it's massive and everything is open immediately, so you have six different boroughs and 30 buildings you can visit (+ sewer) and eighty npcs with a dialogue tree and it takes at least five hours to get to know the place, before you can continue with the story missions.

Yeah this completely killed progression for me in early elder scrolls games. There was just not enough direction.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kennel posted:

Watch Dogs: Legion isn't that bad!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kennel posted:

I've always been a big fan* of the jrpg staple "here's a town you've never been in find the progress flag"

*Not at all

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kennel posted:

hard disagree, its way worse when you go to new awesome massive city and you can't actually walk around and explore like you want until 6 hours later

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Kennel posted:

I was thinking about this the other day with Pillars of eternity, when you enter a new city there's a constant feeling that you might be missing something or doing things in the wrong order and it makes me anxious.

I don't really know what the solution is, but what I do know is some games make me feel that way and some games don't. I love to explore in rpgs so there's some subtle difference between being overwhelming and being curiosity inspiring and I don't know what it is.

What also annoys me about PoE is that 1/4 of the NPCs have useful information and the other 3/4 let you look into their souls for some irrelevant flavour text. Found that way more frustrating than world building.

RGX has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Apr 11, 2021

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

RGX posted:

What also annoys me about PoE is that 1/4 of the NPCs have useful information and the other 3/4 let you look into their souls for some irrelevant flavour text. Found that way more frustrating than world building.

Those are Kickstarter Backers

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MotU posted:

I'm sorry, I also wish I hadn't backed

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

MotU posted:

Oh really? I thought you just got your name on those stupid plaques on the walls of crypts etc.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RGX posted:

Oh really? I thought you just got your name on those stupid plaques on the walls of crypts etc.

If you shelled out enough Dosh you got to add your own terrible OC do not steal to the game, It was a terrible idea. Luckily I'm just a name on a wall

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

All in all you're just another name on the wall.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RGX posted:

One guy even paid to have a transphobic joke added into the game

https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/10/8383627/pillars-of-eternity-transphobic-kickstarter-hate-feargus-urquhart

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Except that it's not transphobic or even hateful. It was completely blown out of proportion by reactionary idiots.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Even if it's not a transphobic joke (and it's definitely offensive to trans people even if it's not intended that way), it's not a good joke. I prefer the thing they changed it to.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's pretty transphobic, yeah. It calls back to classic Hollywood transphobic twists like Ace Ventura and The Crying Game

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Except that it's not transphobic or even hateful. It was completely blown out of proportion by reactionary idiots.

it's insanely transphobic, what are you on about

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bony tony posted:

That's pretty transphobic, yeah. It calls back to classic Hollywood transphobic twists like Ace Ventura and The Crying Game

I would rate POE much higher if the Main climbed out of a rhino's rear end

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The kickstarter backers have a gold name plate so you can easily identify them without talking to them once you know what they are. The only good thing about them is the meta-joke of the expansion adding a soulbound crossbow you need to level up by shooting them lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There's a new Ratchet and Clank on the horizon, so I figured I should go back and try to finish up the Ps3 trilogy that I missed out on back in the day. I played two of them a few years ago, but I still had to look the series up on Wikipedia to figure out which one on PSNow was the final one and not one of the weird little portable spin-offs that nobody liked because Insomniac hates putting numbers in their titles.

Just number your games, dammit! You can put your subtitles after the number. Rachet & Clank 6: Into the Nexus, there I fixed it. I don't care what dipshit marketing weirdos say about consumers getting intimidated by numbered sequels, it just makes everything easier. DooM (2016) is DooM 4, God of War (2016) is God of War...five, I guess? Six? Whatever. At least the remake of FF7 is named Final Fantasy 7 Remake, thank you.