Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Judge Tesla posted:

Hard Mode in Terraria really doesn't gently caress around, the very first night in hard mode I have a Blood Moon event and my house gets attacked by dozens of Wraiths, Unicorns and Werewolves, two ingame days later, a Pirate Invasion happens, and on the same day another Blood Moon happens!

I'm enjoying the new enemies and things to craft but, holy hell is it tough.

It's funny because after obtaining the high end gear and weapons, those blood moons and invasions become tedious as hell. No real threat to you, but you either have to build special housing to prevent your NPCs from dying or go hide for the duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

Really are any of the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games any good at all?

I really like Rune Factory 4 since it feels they finally got the formula right.

There's less town building, but the adventuring side is rather fun for a simpler action rpg.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Lap-Lem posted:

Mario Kart 8 screws my kids over

I had never really thought about the AI rubber banding having this effect- that's really unfortunate :(

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Really are any of the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games any good at all?

If you don't like the base parts of it (farming, bribing people into liking you, etc.), then no, there's probably not any one would consider good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: The fact the entire playerbase only fights on Indar. The only time people move off is to try and basically run unopposed to a base on the other continents during an alert before the owners of the base all move to the other continent, smack them back and push them back enough to promptly run back to Indar, or during another continent alert where quite literally the second the alert ends everyone immediately redeploys to Indar. I was in a queue to go to another continent during an alert, right when the alert ended I watched as my 60'th spot in queue immediately jumped to first.

EDIT: But god knows its the only place you can actually get a fight, if you go to the other continents to fight the players there they immediately run off and go to another continent (probably Indar)

Double edit: Its made even worse for the fact Indar has really lovely resource gain compared to the other 2 continents.

Leal has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Jun 7, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you don't like the base parts of it (farming, bribing people into liking you, etc.), then no, there's probably not any one would consider good.

I can see why they'd be fun but everything seems so linear in the farm building and really repetitive.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So a friend of mine really likes Call of Duty and is a little behind on the games, so we've been playing MW3 mostly.

I can't decide what makes the game worse, the lack of weapon balance, the bad maps or the perks.

You have one perk called Assassin pro, it literally protects you from anything in regards to being spotted as well as EMP's when you get the pro version, it provides so many benefits that you'd be a fool not to take it.

Gun wise there's the ACR and the MP7, though primarily the ACR, if I played a drinking game and take a shot every time I die to an ACR, I'd be dead by the end of my first game.

Map seems to run the gamut of looking either unfinished or over designed, the over designed ones suffer from really campy play styles from the community to.

MW2 was a massive broken clusterfuck, but in a good way, this one's just broken.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I can see why they'd be fun but everything seems so linear in the farm building and really repetitive.

It is, but that's also kind of why I like them. For some people it'd be super annoying, but for me it's the perfect sit down and chill series.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The Secret World is a cool game for an MMORPG. But in the new area/expansion pack/DLC thing they decided to add a completely unnecessary shield mechanic. Now you have a completely separate set of items to level and equip in order to do any real damage to enemies. Leveling this is extremely grindy, but you don't do it you can't kill anything, no matter how much time you spent getting every skill and amazing equipment before.

It's tedious. Every enemy has a shield that you have to deplete by grinding that system before you can fight them normally. There are three different types of shields (all of them are functionally identical) so you get to grind the system three times over. The mechanics of the game are not affected by this at all, other than pushing a button to switch your shieldbreaker to match their shields.

It's painfully obvious they're just trying to retain a playerbase by making everything take a painful amount of time, which is a shame, because I liked the game at some point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thoughtless posted:

The Secret World is a cool game for an MMORPG. But in the new area/expansion pack/DLC thing they decided to add a completely unnecessary shield mechanic. Now you have a completely separate set of items to level and equip in order to do any real damage to enemies. Leveling this is extremely grindy, but you don't do it you can't kill anything, no matter how much time you spent getting every skill and amazing equipment before.

It's tedious. Every enemy has a shield that you have to deplete by grinding that system before you can fight them normally. There are three different types of shields (all of them are functionally identical) so you get to grind the system three times over. The mechanics of the game are not affected by this at all, other than pushing a button to switch your shieldbreaker to match their shields.

It's painfully obvious they're just trying to retain a playerbase by making everything take a painful amount of time, which is a shame, because I liked the game at some point.

Man TSW could end up in this thread a lot. The previous content DLC killed the interest of most of us goons. It added "dynamic content for end game players" in the forum of augments. To get augments you had to enter a scenario which as of right now, seven months later, is still just three different wave defense levels. Sure those have three difficulties and some random events but they're still just slogs of fighting through enemies while a timer ticks down.

After each wave there's a boss. Each boss has a chance to drop an augment, or you might get nothing.

There's three waves.

It takes I think 15 minutes to be over.

So you could spend 15 minutes dealing with this tedious bullshit just to get absolutely nothing useful and being locked from doing the content again for x amount of hours.

I think after launch they realized that's loving idiotic and patched in a random augment bag as a quest reward but hell if I know. I did them once and never looked back.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Lap-Lem posted:

Mario Kart 8, Great game, really fun. But here's my sticking point. I have two daughters and they love playing the game. They are quite young. The two of them play together on 50cc with Easy Com and they both come in 1-5th place. Pretty good. So I pick up a controller to join them, and we keep it at 50cc with easy coms. But I jump into first place because Easy coms and 50cc is way to easy for me and the game just decides on the fly to ramp up the difficulty. If I play with my daughters they will always come in 11th and 12th place because the WiiU decides because I am good enough for harder racers then screw the kids. It's pretty lame, My daughters still love racing with me, but for Christ's sake why can't they just let me race way up front and let them have fun instead of slingshotting every com player 1 lap ahead of them? Or take 2-5th place and have them on my rear end and leave the rest in 50cc Easy land? If they absolutely must punish a guy for playing below his ability level. It gets to the point where I want my girls to hit a dude with a shell, so I have to stop playing. Boo, Nintento, Booooo.

Why don't you just take it easy on your kids and not blow way out in first?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lap-Lem posted:

Mario Kart 8, Great game, really fun. But here's my sticking point. I have two daughters and they love playing the game. They are quite young. The two of them play together on 50cc with Easy Com and they both come in 1-5th place. Pretty good. So I pick up a controller to join them, and we keep it at 50cc with easy coms. But I jump into first place because Easy coms and 50cc is way to easy for me and the game just decides on the fly to ramp up the difficulty. If I play with my daughters they will always come in 11th and 12th place because the WiiU decides because I am good enough for harder racers then screw the kids. It's pretty lame, My daughters still love racing with me, but for Christ's sake why can't they just let me race way up front and let them have fun instead of slingshotting every com player 1 lap ahead of them? Or take 2-5th place and have them on my rear end and leave the rest in 50cc Easy land? If they absolutely must punish a guy for playing below his ability level. It gets to the point where I want my girls to hit a dude with a shell, so I have to stop playing. Boo, Nintento, Booooo.

Back in the Mariokart 64 days, my dad sat idle for a lap before starting. He even did this when playing against the computer, because all the fun items were given to last-place as well. Might want to consider that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cleretic posted:

Back in the Mariokart 64 days, my dad sat idle for a lap before starting. He even did this when playing against the computer, because all the fun items were given to last-place as well. Might want to consider that.

My dad did that poo poo too. That or pull out my controller every so often. It got to the point where I just stashed a red shell in case he ever did that poo poo to me.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Alteisen posted:

MW2 was a massive broken clusterfuck, but in a good way, this one's just broken.

Spec Ops on MW2 with my roommate was the most fun I've ever had in any video game ever. MW3 hosed it up terribly by making the levels so long and difficult that we gave up after a week.

I miss games that you could play side by side on the couch.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

vainman posted:

Spec Ops on MW2 with my roommate was the most fun I've ever had in any video game ever. MW3 hosed it up terribly by making the levels so long and difficult that we gave up after a week.

I miss games that you could play side by side on the couch.

XBLA and PSN have a whole ton of co-op games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

That or pull out my controller every so often.

Your dad sounds like a real poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RyokoTK posted:

That's just Dad Gaming at its finest.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RyokoTK posted:

Nah bro it put hair on my chest *drags chest hair slider to the right in dark souls*

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
In GTA4, no matter how far away a mission is or how long the mission lasts, if you die it puts you all the way back at the place you picked the mission up. :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

In GTA4, no matter how far away a mission is or how long the mission lasts, if you die it puts you all the way back at the place you picked the mission up. :argh:

One of the endgame missions has you drive for 15 minutes to pick up some guy and drop him off at a wharf. In there you get ambushed and shot at from every conceivable angle while the enemies slowly surround you. At the same time the guy will move forward alone and get himself killed if you try to take it carefully. Him dying immediately fails the mission. Of course there's no checkpoint. I failed it 4 times and then I decided to never loving play that awful shitshow of a game ever again. :frogout:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

The best Mario Kart 64 move was to idle around last place on Wario Stadium until you get the Lightning Bolt, then unleash it on the last lap right as everyone is halfway up that giant jump. They would either get flattened or fall down the gap. Even if they regained their normal size they didn't have enough speed to make it over the jump.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I finished Lightning Returns, and started new game plus - which lets you upgrade weapons at forges, which you know, would have been useful before considering paying for the materials is pricey and shop/story weapons have better stats and I really don't see why they could have put that in a first playthrough.

Also, ability synthesis is pretty bland.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Finished all the Tricky Treasure levels in Rayman Origins, only to be rewarded with the Land of the Livid Dead :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7yPs0AvX8Q

I should of expected this, after the pure hell of the Tricky Treasure levels, and the game would have been far better with less collectibles to faff around with. Also, the penultimate level was pure hell and it took me 45 minutes to get right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exq_-OjXfIs

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Finished all the Tricky Treasure levels in Rayman Origins, only to be rewarded with the Land of the Livid Dead :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7yPs0AvX8Q

I should of expected this, after the pure hell of the Tricky Treasure levels, and the game would have been far better with less collectibles to faff around with. Also, the penultimate level was pure hell and it took me 45 minutes to get right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exq_-OjXfIs

I dunno, those levels look awesome in a way that pretty much just sold me on Rayman Origins. :shobon:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Yeah, Livid Dead is about on par with classic Rayman in terms of difficulty, need I remind anyone of the infamous music levels from Rayman 1? or the horrific mountain stages?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Judge Tesla posted:

Yeah, Livid Dead is about on par with classic Rayman in terms of difficulty, need I remind anyone of the infamous music levels from Rayman 1? or the horrific mountain stages?

Bongo Hills.
Also, Eat at Joes. Oh my God those loving fish.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jun 9, 2014

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Land of the Livid Dead is the best level in Rayman Origins, and the Tricky Treasures are the best levels before that. This is because you never have to wait a single second in them, just hold right and go, go, go. Rayman Origins is the best platformer.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lap-Lem posted:

It makes me wish the series had a handicap option like Smash Bros. It was great in Melee, because it made even someone just mashing the A button and the analogue stick a real challenge, because they'd just shrug off your attacks and anything they hit you with sent you flying. Brawl ruined it by just making you start off each life with a high damage %, so you'd also have to tweak the damage modifier so that the rounds aren't a lot shorter. It also meant that two players with a very high handicap would be able to kill each other very easily, rather than only the player with the low handicap being able to kill them easily.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Len posted:

Man TSW could end up in this thread a lot. The previous content DLC killed the interest of most of us goons. It added "dynamic content for end game players" in the forum of augments. To get augments you had to enter a scenario which as of right now, seven months later, is still just three different wave defense levels. Sure those have three difficulties and some random events but they're still just slogs of fighting through enemies while a timer ticks down.

After each wave there's a boss. Each boss has a chance to drop an augment, or you might get nothing.

There's three waves.

It takes I think 15 minutes to be over.

So you could spend 15 minutes dealing with this tedious bullshit just to get absolutely nothing useful and being locked from doing the content again for x amount of hours.

I think after launch they realized that's loving idiotic and patched in a random augment bag as a quest reward but hell if I know. I did them once and never looked back.

That system would've had potential if they had at least launched other modes than Protect the Chumps. If there's one thing I hate more than a painful grindy slog it's a painful grindy slog in which I have to protect NPCs.

Instead they just released it and then called it a day.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I've apparently had Deus Ex:HR for a long time from some Steam sale, but never played it. Started it this weekend and decided to be Mr. Ghost; stealthy and non-lethal. Oh, there are boss fights that require you to be a well-armed killing machine...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

I've apparently had Deus Ex:HR for a long time from some Steam sale, but never played it. Started it this weekend and decided to be Mr. Ghost; stealthy and non-lethal. Oh, there are boss fights that require you to be a well-armed killing machine...

Just get the typhoon ability maxed. It will deal with most of the bosses easily.

They fixed this somewhat in the directors cut by having stuff you can hack into in the boss areas but it's still not perfect.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Just get the typhoon ability maxed. It will deal with most of the bosses easily.

They fixed this somewhat in the directors cut by having stuff you can hack into in the boss areas but it's still not perfect.

Without restarting or replaying huge portions of the game, I can't do this as all my Praxis points are used up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can beat every boss with only the resources provided in the room and no augs. It's just annoying. Either way they're definitely the worst part of the game.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Oldstench posted:

Without restarting or replaying huge portions of the game, I can't do this as all my Praxis points are used up.

If you're stuck on the first boss, try throwing all the exploding barrels and gas canisters in the room at him.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Oldstench posted:

Yeah, they suck, but they are very cheesable.

1) Throw barrels at him, they stun him and you can unload on him
2) Have EMP protection and stungun her to death, I absolutely took the piss with this
3) Just have him chase you around and fire round corners. As soon as he starts hurting you, just retreat around the next corner, he will never change his tactics.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Yeah, they suck, but they are very cheesable.

2) Have EMP protection and stungun her to death, I absolutely took the piss with this

I beat 1 with few problems but am stuck on her. She 1-hits me with her Typhoon? blasts and I have no EMP protection available because I've been stealthing the entire game and haven't upgraded protection at all. Oh well, whatever - I'll keep hammering away.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Cheese them with the stun gun. If you get a headshot, you have just barely enough time to reload before the stun wears off. There is an exception to this rule, but you can
do a takedown when he's climbing a wall.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Oldstench posted:

I beat 1 with few problems but am stuck on her. She 1-hits me with her Typhoon? blasts and I have no EMP protection available because I've been stealthing the entire game and haven't upgraded protection at all. Oh well, whatever - I'll keep hammering away.

There's a weapon in the game that's more or less the stun gun as a shot gun. Use that to stop her in her tracks and follow up with your workhorse weapon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oldstench posted:

When she charges at you for her Typhoon? attack, run toward her and she'll slide right past you and the attack won't hit you. The boss fights in vanilla Deus Ex clash with the rest of the game but as time goes on I kind of like how they're hardcore old-school boss fights where it's all about learning their attacks and movement patterns and you die in a few hits. If you don't cheese them with stun guns and explosives, at least.

Also, you can get the Director's Cut of Human Revolution for $5 if you already own the base game and the DLC (and on steam sales it usually goes for that regardless) and they completely re-did the boss battles. They're huge Metal Gear Solid-style boss fights where you have open arenas to fight in and tons of tricks and methods of attack, including ones specifically for stealth and hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I'm pretty sick of pipe dream games as hacking in video games. It's so hackneyed and nothing like actual hacking. I can understand something like this when the hacking minigames are just an afterthought but it's especially lousy that they decided to do this with watch dogs since the game is about hackers / hacking.

Also the stupid deadmaus clone near the end of the game. I rolled my eyes so hard at that whole sequence.