Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

From soft games are all about tension and risks. The highs and sense of accomplishment wouldn't be as good without any risk.

I agree with you, but I think it's only half the story. Soulbourne games are about Impatience:

Impatience leads to Frustration
Frustration leads to Carelessness
Carelessness leads to Failure
Failure leads to Repetition
Repetition leads to Impatience

The main impact of boss runs (at least for me) is that it reinforces this loop. By forcing the player to do something which is clearly pointless busywork with every attempt, you try their patience and set them on the road to failure. You trap the player in an emotional vicious circle which they need to escape from if they are to have a reasonable chance of success (hence advice like "Go play something else for a while, then try again later"). Also, it's that built up frustration that leads to the cathartic sense of joy when you finally succeed in killing the boss for the first time.

I have a love/hate relationship with boss runs, since by nature I'm an impatient person. On a primal level, I can't stand them, I hate feeling frustrated, and I hate feeling like I've wasted my whole evening fighting the same boss over and over and not achieving anything concrete. On the other hand though, and this is probably going to sound pretty lame, I appreciate the fact that they're training me to try and overcome my sense of impatience and keep a cool head when really I just want to smash by controller through my monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ArtIsResistance posted:

Um, I just like the combat and how fun the game is. Your reasons for liking blourne are cool too

I've had an awful lot of time during Boss runs to stew on this :shobon:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Actual hardest fight for me is probably the spider, I'm pretty bad at fights that summon adds.

Carry a torch, then the baby spiders won't attack you.

And the worse boss for me in DS2 is the Gargoyles, even alone they're assholes and fighting 3 or 4 at once is horrible. I'm playing DS2 again now and I've walked through every boss except them, where I had to do like 12 attempts.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Rangpur posted:

e: in reference to Nier:Automata

Gives you one of the endings, though! (Which I got like 3 times until I figured out you could just continuously i-frame your way through most attacks.)

So, uh, out of curiosity, is the point of no return after fighting the Gradius boss? Because I just saw several quest markers disappear.

Points of no return (that I remember):

1) Helping defend the big ship with the missile on it in the flooded city
2) Getting a philosophy book for pascal

There's a bit earlier than (1) where it looks like all the quests have been cancelled, but they come back a little bit later and you can keep doing them. It happens After you speak to Pascal, and the Goliaths attack and make a big hole in the ground. The quest markers come back at the same time you unlock fast travel

Also, Nier is a loving incredible game, but the save system is a pain, and losing progress because you die and hadn't saved for god knows how long is awful.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The lock on system in dark souls is really bad though. It's not clear what distance I need to be to lock on, and when a lock on fails due to being too far away/too dark/whatever, it recenters the camera, which can be disorienting and annoying.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The pacing is both long-winded and rushed. You spend three chapters playing as Roxas in Twilight Town before getting to play the guy on the box.

Wait, are you talking about AssCreed 3 here, or Kingdom Hearts 2? :confused:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

Dammit, Persona 5, if you're not going to let me do anything at night, just send me straight to bed!

Let's not do this tonight.

loving cat :argh:

Oxxidation posted:

Persona 5 does actually give you nearly enough time to do everything in the first go, but it requires you to exploit mechanics you'd have no idea existed without a guide. The Fortune and Temperance links are crucial for freeing up your schedule and you probably can't complete the dungeons in a timely manner without the goodies from the Death link's SP-boosting accessories. Then there's the fact that nearly half the links boost your stats as well, so if you spent all your time grinding up a particular stat on the side-activities instead then that's wasted points. And over it all, the face of That loving Cat and its demands for excessive slumber looms large.

I'm actually doing it now using a walkthrough I found on GameFAQs. I actually think it's quite chill, since I can just sit back and watch the animes without having to worry about whether seeing Waifu 1 instead of Waifu 2 wil mean I runout of time in the future. Also, I'm not sure I'll ever do a 2nd playthrough since most Persona games take 100+ hours to clear.

Clearing the dungeons in a single run was initially pretty brutal, since I did the first 2 just with consumables, but now I have the 50k invigorate 3 thing from Dr Death it's actually fairly doable too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I only get confused when I need to eject the disc, but then I just sort of poke it all over the place until it comes out :shobon:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Wapole Languray posted:

This doesn't happen. You can't talk to your buddy in Automata, and you have to hold B to enter their AI config thing. Just tapping B doesn't do anything if you aren't near a thing to interact with.

It happened to me frequently.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
In Mass Effect Andromeda some idiot put the dev console on the ~ key, which is right next to the 1 key (use primary ability) and the tab key (open weapon select wheel). So, you'll be in a big fight, and you fat finger it, and all of a sudden none of the keys work and you die. The last thing you see is wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwadwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww1111wwww11ww in the dev console, mocking you as the screen fades to black.

You can't disable it or rebind it either, I've read about people physically removing the ~ key from their keyboard to get round the issue. I ended up downloading some special program that convinces the OS that the ~ key doesn't exist.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Some idiot bound the console to the key that consoles are normally bound to in games?

It's lovely the game doesn't pause when you open the console but, uh, that's the key that's supposed to open it.

It's more that the whole situation is idiotic, and moving the Console key somewhere else is one of the easiest ways to fix it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorry for your poor hand eye coordination i guess.

What does that have to do with anything, you don't look at the keyboard while playing the game :confused:

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Jun 1, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, "the" webcomic about super edgy post-apocalyptic rape zombies.

He also wrote Preacher, which is an amazing comic that I love. Everything else I've read by him has been pretty disappointing though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

Someone gave me the first volume and I've yet to read it.

I liked the Pro as a gently caress off to cape stories. It's dumb but it goes for throats and I like Amanda Connor's style.

It's pretty cool, though it really is "Edginess dialed up to 11", especially the first one, if that puts you off. I'll check out the Pro and Hitman sometime, it's been ages since I bought I comic book.

Edit: I didn't realise, he also wrote The Boys, which is also amazing, especially if you want something that mocks Superhero comics.

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Jun 7, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

Royal Rat Authority is similar to Capra but because there's so much more room to move it's way less punishing. It's also much later in the game so it comes as less of a shock.

RRA is also right near a bonfire too, while the Capra demon involves running past all those dogs and thieves every attempt. Trying to kill the Capra demon with a spear was one of the low points of my Dark Souls career.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
On a related note, I made a stealth character in Pillars of Eternity so I could scout ahead, find traps and lay ambushes and things, but the game has an annoying habit of forcing you into a conversation before fights, so all my careful sneaking and position gets ruined by some stupid cutscene teleport nonsense :mad:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I'm in the same boat as Cythereal. I've played through the first area 3 or 4 times, but each time I stop because the whole setting just bores me. I don't really enjoy the gameplay either, but I think that's more the frame rate issues it has. I suspect if it was ported to PC and I could play at a stable 60fps, I'd enjoy it a lot more. I can't play the PS4 version of Dark Souls 3 for the same reason.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

The first area is boring as gently caress and it is after that area that Cythereal quit, e.g., right when the game gets interesting.

Yeah, my girlfriend's cleared the game like 3 times and she says the same thing. What I've read about the story seems actually interesting too, it's just I don't feel it when I'm playing.

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you have a PS4 pro they patched it to run at 60. It's an improvement, but I was pretty used to DS1's 30 fps anyway.

It's not so much the low frame rate, it's more than the frame rate feels very unstable, with weird hitches and things. It's subtle, and I'd probably be able to ignore it if I didn't have 200+ hours in DS2/3 on PC. As it stands though, everything feels sticky and my dodge timing is all screwy, which really spoils the combat for me.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So Vampire Bloodlines turns to utter poo poo at the end. For the whole game you have all these tightly designed areas where you can approach problems from multiple directions and do all this cool role play stuff, then the last 2 areas are an endless slog through hundreds of bad guys where all you can do is spam attack until everything's dead. Also, you can't drink the blood of most of the enemies, so using powers suddenly stops being an option too. I ended up switching on God Mode because I just couldn't be bothered anymore. Then I kept getting lost in the endless, identical looking corridors in the skyscraper, so I turned on noclip, then I just said gently caress it and uninstalled the game.

It's a pity, because I really enjoyed it up until the boss in chinatown :( I guess I'll just look up the ending on youtube.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Nooo stay with it! the ending is great! yeah the gameplay gets bad but just wait and see what happens to the bad guy.

Yeah, maybe some other time. I stuck with it because I really wanted to get to the end, but my patience is totally spent. It was the 9 failed attempts to kill the chinese demon woman with umpteen gazillion hit points that broke me, and now the thought of playing again just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I actually managed to complete it like 10 years ago, I think. I have no idea how, though I believe it involved obfuscate spam.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Fallout 4's premise might have worked if the rest of the game didnt fail at being interesting. Someone else used witcher 3 as an example of what is essentially the same plot, a parent trying to find their child. But nobody gives it poo poo for that because the story hinges on an established character of literature. Fallout 4 doesnt have that to back it up and isnt nearly as compelling for it.

I actually really enjoyed the main story of Fallout 4, right up until you first meet the Minutemen in the museum. I felt really drawn in, and was all ready to go off and find my son as a vengeful house-mom with a pistol and a scrounged breadknife. But yeah, that kind of story really needs a tight narrative to draw you along without wasting too much time on irrelevent nonsense, otherwise the gameplay and story clash horribly, and Fallout 4 is 95% irrelevent nonsense.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

It's some pretty loving terrible design and basically encourages you to shelf a character unless you just happened to max out that stat anyway. I don't want to read a guide on my first playthrough just to get a basic combat that everyone else can get easily, without spending a ton of time leveling up a stat. The stat system in general is pretty bad because there's no real rhyme or reason to what stats you need to progress some links. One character needs good knowledge to unlock (which makes sense given the character) and then...charm to progress past rank 5. Maxed out charm. You have to be the most suave motherfucker in the city to be best friends with her. it's dumb

What annoys me about the stat system in P5 is how going to school is apparently utterly worthless. I can spend 8 hours a day in school for a year and apparently learn nothing, yet if I start spending time in some cafe drinking tea and reading, all of a sudden I become some kind of genius. Acadamagia does the same thing, it's more effective to skip lessons and read a book than go to them and actually be taught.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So I just did a playthrough of Fallout 4, and I tried to play it to character the way the plot seems to suggest. I skipped all side content, told Garvey to go gently caress himself (I still had to talk to him in the museum to unlock the Diamond City quest) and just beelined towards Shaun. It was actually pretty enjoyable, the plot feels a lot more believable and cohesive simply from the urgency you see in the script actually matching how you play. Being underleveled and underequipped made the gameplay more interesting too. I found the baby after about 10 hours, and I was level 12.

I'm not saying that this negates anyone's criticisms at all, just that it's a viable possiblity if the whole "WHERE'S MY BABY???:byodame:" schtick is messing with you. gently caress trying to roleplay as a lawyer though, you need some serious firepower to clear the main quest. I just had to pretend that "Lawyer" was a cover for my secret CIA SpecOps training or something.

Tunicate posted:

What I hate about Academagia is the awful skill system.

Yeah, I couldn't get into it either. There are so many skills that it feels like even if you dedicate a whole week to training something up, that you haven't gotten anywhere, since none of the skills you trained have turned up in your adventures.

I also could not for the life of me figure out why you'd want to cast spells on other students. Like, I could put a misfortune curse on someone for afew days, but what's the point? There didn't seem to be any actual benefit to doing so...

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Jul 9, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

So does Grim Dawn pick up after the first section? Slogging through very samey :spooky: swamps for hours isn't really that fun.

Depends what you don't like. There's a lot more variety in areas as you go on, enemies get a bit more interesting and there are some neat gimmicks like weird distortion fields and stuff, but on the other hand, the areas are all pretty huge and all start feeling samey after a while.

I've tried a few times to get into Grim Dawn, but each time I get bored about halfway through because I end up feeling bored of using the same 4 or 5 abilities over and over for hours on end. I know you can respec, but you're still stuck using the same classes, and typically all your gear and stuff will be set to work with certain skills. There's no point in respeccing from Fire abilities into Ice abilities if all your gear gives +X% Fire damage bonuses.

What I really liked about Diablo 3 is that if I got bored of using an ability, I could fairly painlessly just swap it for another one, so I never felt stuck in a particular build. With end-game gear sets, it stops working so well since you're gear pushes you hard into using particular skills, but that really only felt like a problem at the very end stages of the game.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

I didn't have those problems, bye!

The DOS combat isn't the most polished thing ever, but I don't remember having problems with lack of indicated information.

Nah, he's right. The game doesn't warn you at all if you're going to move your character over dangerous terrain, it's very easy to accidentally walk over something like Ice or Electrified Water and have your character lose a turn, especially when there's a ton of particle effects everywhere from steam/smoke/fire/whatever.

Crafting 9 inch nails into your shoes really helps, since then you won't slip over on ice. There's also a skill in the Rogue skills tree that lets you walk over terrain hazards, and is extremely useful for all your melee guys. Otherwise, it's just kind of adjusting to things, and trying to be more careful. Still, even after many, many hours of play, I would still occasionally do things like paralyze my own guys with lightning because I didn't realize they were stood in a puddle.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Well I really suck at Nier Automata - just died right at the start, to the two digging machines and got ending W. Guess I'll try again later :v: Never even learned how to save :P BTW I've just got it and know little about it.

The game starts you off using a special Auto Heal chip, which automatically uses a heal item if your HP drops below a certain value (20% I think). This is all fine until the big end boss thing, who can do more than 20% of your damage in a single blow, killing you before the auto-heal triggers. If you use the DPAD you can heal manually, which makes staying alive much easier.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

It's a non-mechanic until the second you forget about it.

Divinity Original Sin had the strangest implementation. Weapons would wear out as you used them, but any character with a special hammer and a particular skill could repair it. What was weird was that you could actually repair items from a distance, during combat. So if Bob's sword broke halfway through a fight, then Joe could fix it from across the battlefield, without spending any action points, even when it wasn't Joe's turn. So assuming you had someone like Joe, the whole thing became "Every so often click here to fix it", with no mechanical consequences whatsoever.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Hit crystal bugs? I might just suck though

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

There's the monitor right behind the shitter. If you're making GBS threads, you won't be able to see it. Now, I know your objection; "He stands to pee, most men do." You know that's the men's room because there are urinals. But if he just had to take a piss, he'd go to the urinal.

If I was trying to watch TV while taking a piss, I would pee all over the floor. This poo poo requires concentration, yo.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

DS2, on the other hand, makes it near impossible to run past foes because when you aggro an enemy they will never stop coming after you.

Removing the immunity when you go through a fog door was by far the most annoying design decision in DS2. Thank gently caress they revoked it in 3.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Final edit: And when it wasn't, they went back and patched it. Things that frustrate players were changed - the curse system in DS1, the dragon butts, some stuff in the DS3 DLC IIRC. The games aren't designed as impossible challenges. They're just fun games with a very personal sensibility. That's why they're so popular.

The last time I got cursed in DS1, I had to backtrack all the way to the start of the game from that stupid hollow tree stump, and buy a cure from the dead woman behind the grate. I could also have gone through the ghost place to get cured. There was no real way to know I had to do this, I had to google it. It was a tremendous pain in the rear end, how on earth did it used to be worse?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Ouch. Well that answers that question I guess! I think it's telling that DS2 and DS3 replaced curses with instadeath, since that whole mechanic was just plain awful regardless. I wonder if the curse system was the inspiration for reducing your health in DS2, since they work in similar ways.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

It genuinely isn't an exaggeration. I one shot a few bosses on my first miracle play through. I can't remember if it was greater lightning spear or sunlight spear that did it. I agree it's better to have an OP build available than an underpowered one but whatever. Last time I played Dark Souls 2, shortly before 3's release, doing a lightning spear build was still viable. Just not as ridiculous.

The issue with lightning spear et al now is just how few casts you get. Sorcery and Pyromancy offensive spells get 10-20 casts per rest, while lightning gets 2 or 3, which means you can only really use them for occasional supplemental damage.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Literally half the games industry uses Y instead of Z for up in 3D engines. It’s one of those dumb programmer arguments, like whether { should be on a new line in code.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It depends on what you’re doing, and how you think which you think is better. Many coders started in 2D and many others work in rendering, both of which prefer to use Z as distance from a camera looking at the horizon. Level Designers and gameplay coders usually think in terms of maps, which are top down, and prefer Z to be upwards.

In the end it’s just a convention, and the choice you make is utterly arbitrary.

Fake edit: beaten

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

It's not inconsequential because as I said you have to navigate that poo poo using a debug console. But yeah gently caress logic when I move my mouse up it's Y axis so...

Half the planet has the exact same problem as you, the other half has that problem when Z is up. You seem to think your way is inherently correct in some way, and it simply isn’t. We can argue about it all day, but in the end there’s no right answer here, just a replay of a silly argument that’s been going on since 3D software was first developed.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

After I defeated Seath I realized it would be easy to farm those clamshell enemies and fully upgrade the black iron armor. It was apparently a big mistake because the game gets really boring when you don't have to bother not getting hit. I didn't even know what the 4 Kings gimmick was until I watched a video of someone else doing the fight. All the games in the series seem to be front loaded with difficulty. There's always a point where you can start just leaning on having good gear instead of figuring out how to defeat a boss.

The 4 kings is a weird fight, I usually run with little to no armor, and most of the 4K attacks just do hardly any damage. There are one of two attacks that can take off like 75% of your health in one go, but mostly I just heal through them and keep attacking. Maybe it's me, but it seems like the one boss in the game you can just face tank through quite easily if you want to.

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Feb 8, 2018

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

Ah it's a pretty big deal considering you end Kingdom Hearts I having saved everything and in II you start off as someone totally different being approached by robed figures you have no idea about and then you find out Sora was in stasis and had been fighting these baddies since the first game ended. The GBA game has a bunch of critical plot stuff in it that no one ended up playing. The phone games do this too :allears:

KH2 has the worst opening of any game I've ever played. 4 hours of tedious, inane conversations between teenagers eating ice-cream which suddenly end when it turns out the person you've been controlling the whole time doesn't actually exist.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

A bit of an update on Secret of Mana - Tried it again after a patch and didn't notice anything wrong except again slow damage registered when the enemy is debuffed.

Also man, the difficulty really picks up once you reach the Upper Lands!

Do you know if they changed targeting at all? I was trying to play the game on an emulator a few years ago and I remember getting really annoyed about how hard it was to hit enemies with the boomerang. Like, I'd always be slightly to high or too low on screen, so I'd miss all the time.

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

CordlessPen posted:

True, but in addition to the bonfire, isn't there also a really cool shortcut behind the breakable wall?

There's a lift you can unlock that lets you skip the fortress, but you need to find the key for it. They key is past the merchant, who you need to do a difficult jump to get to, so it's not exactly easy to find either. Also, when you're looking for both the bonfire or the key, the giant is throwing bombs at you.

I mean, just like most of DS1, once you know how to do it Sen's Fortress isn't that hard to do, but the odds are very heavily stacked against you the first time you try it.