Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The Darkness 2 is an overall pretty fun to play despite it's lackluster story, setting or characters. In combat you use your guns and your demonic shadow tentacles to rip apart your poor chanceless opposition. Unfortunately, the button for in-combat healing (eating hearts, you obviously have to be near your fresh murder victims) is also the same button you use to swap your weapon for whatever was lying on the ground. The result is that any slightly challenging combat quickly results in poor me having completely lost oversight to what weapon I am carrying or how many bullets I lucked into them. I prefer using pistols with high-damage accurate shots but instead I routinely found myself holding nothing but sub machine guns and with flashbangs and teleporting enemies it is not very easy to scour the battlefield for your long lost weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

So Sleeping Dogs got a lot of praise on SA and most of it is deserved. It has a fun environment, reasonable combat mechanics and the story seems to be going into the right direction.

It also has the hands-down worst controls I have ever seen. It was so bad that I was sure it was my computer, until I found out that it is apparently more common. Trying to steer the camera is an exercise in futility and aiming is literally impossible. Aimng with the gun or camera is inconsistent to the point where I just gave up, downloaded a trainer for infinite health and beat the gunmen to death. Unfortunately, I am now stuck in a car-chase mission where the infinite health does not work on the car. So these guys destroy my car and there is nothing I can do about it because I can't aim to kill them back.

Now this is obviously some Console->PC port issue and I assume it is not this bad for everyone but I am not running anything exotic, just a run-of-the-mill computer with a boring OS and the latest drivers.

It's a shame because I really want to like this game. Even if I take away the aiming issues the controls are still very, very bad. Enough to almost completely compensate for the fun.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Either you're terrible at shootgames or something is terribly wrong. I just beat Sleeping Dogs (PC) with 0 control issues using a 360 controller.

No trust me I'm plenty good at shooters and there was one mission where I actually could aim, but for most of the game the cursor doesn't respond to the mouse, or goes in the other direction or decides it doesn't feel like shooting today. It doesn't apply to everyone, but it is common enough that it is a known problem. It's also not going to get patched. Basically means I'm poo poo out of luck.

e. Found a fix. Pressing a sideways movement button after entering aiming but before shooting seems to temporarily work. However, the controls of the game in general are still terrible and I do think unfixed rather critical bugs count as things dragging the game down.

Namarrgon has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Aug 11, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Thoughtless posted:

1) I feel less like an assassin and more like an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction. Stealth isn't very good, but the combat is, and there's no real risk no matter how many guards gang up on you. I guess this isn't as much a bad thing as it is completely dissonant with the theme of the game.

2) Holy poo poo is this game repetitive, it feels like Groundhog Day. I'm doing the same thing over and over and over and unless the ending is the second coming of Christ, it won't be worth it.

The bad news is it won't really get better. The good news is that AC2 is pretty drat amazing (coming from AC1) and still a pretty good game otherwise.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Randalor posted:

Can... You give them their independence then immediately re-conquer them, subjugating them and putting them back under your immediate control?

Yes, but it would instantly become a colonial nation again. Still it is better than before: having to manually appoint a viceroy sounds fun, until you have to do so for all your colonies and the choice came with a small prestige hit that added up over time. Best would have been to simply give you the choice of course.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

One of the very first things I did in Dishonored was swap the left and right mouse buttons.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I figured they were more isolationist-oriented than straight up supremacist. "These aliens can exist or whatever but humanity's affairs should be governed by humans"-type.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

LoonShia posted:

A party where no one says anything, interacts with any one else or reacts to your presence.

Electrical engineers' frathouse.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Len posted:

"Skyrim is a big empty world with nothing to do."
Actively ignores quests.

That's what this thread reads like sometimes.

That's because what you should read it as is;

"Skyrim is a big world with nothing interesting to do."
Actively ignores repetitive low-effort quests.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

The AI in EU4 is pretty good at mostly only declaring war on you when they are confident they can take you. They are still pretty bad at being your lifelong friends for half the game and suddenly (slowly) turning hostile for no real good reason later on. I mean there is probably a good game-mechanic reason, but not an intuitive reason or one that a player would have done.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Probably "Competing Great Power". That's the one I usually see anyways, and it does feel a little weird when you've been best buds for long periods of time.

That and the AI having no qualms to pick you as a rival when the selection gets a bit limited, despite having been brothers in arms for 200 years.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

kazil posted:

It's 2015 and you dorks need to just accept using a controller for PC gaming.

I've never found a game I thought was easier to play with a controller than mouse and keyboard.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Never played dark souls eh?

Almost all 3rd person games are better on controller by far. Driving games too, unless you have an actual wheel.
Keyboard sucks for driving. Pedals should not be binary buttons.

No but i have played the Assassin's Creed games on both, for roughly equal duration. I still vastly prefer mouse and keyboard.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

KOTOR and Planescape Torment are the only games I can remember where the combat was so loving terrible I had to quit somewhere midgame, restart and make a character with the help of some guide to make sure it didn't get curbstomped in combat.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Morrowind sold 4 million copies while Skyrim sold over 20 million and then Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies in its first day, they've learned that the overwhelming majority of people love what they've been doing and want more of it.

And van Gogh never sold a painting while alive right? Popularity has never been nor will ever be a measurement for quality.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I never knew or expected that Jedi Academy was considered the better game until I found it on SA. I always took Jedi Outcast's charm, character and story over JA's slightly more polished gameplay but incoherent "HEY PROTAGONIST"-y mess.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Europa Universalis IV is a fun, complex grand strategy game set to span the entire world during the period of 1450ish - 1821. It's pretty drat cool, you have dozens of things to keep your mind occupied, from the more obvious military alliances to dynasty building (of other countries) to managing your colonial empire and inflation to deciding whether to give that freshy conquered province to the clergy or to the noble estates.

As a consequence, you get a lot of messages throughout the game. Many of them are "This happened somewhere!" messages that don't really concern you, so I disabled them. Others are "You need to make a decision" or "This happened and will probably need your attention", so I set these to give me a pop-up and PAUSE THE GAME automatically. That's all good and well.

Every once in a while your military ally will probably call you into a war. However, for some reason, the message for a call to arms is not customizable. Or at least not to the degree that I can set it to pause the game automatically. If you don't respond within a certain amount of time you automatically decline their call. This is a little bit of a problem. Refusing a call-to-arms from an ally severely damages relations with that ally and lowers your 'trust' level with ALL countries by a non-trivial amount. I often play this game by putting the speed slider to max during peace and go around doing small errands around the room; cleaning the tables, feeding the fish etc. I can do this because whenever anything of substance happens the game auto-pauses. EXCEPT for call-to-arms, which are arguably the worst to ignore.

I have no idea why they decided on this. Paradox is usually very good with fixing problems and releasing big-content patches, so I have no idea why they haven't changed this. I suspect it is for some reason hardcoded into the engine in what is probably the game's largest design flaw.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Just because it was done on purpose doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid decision.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

And as I recall, the physics engine is affected by framerate. Probably not as much of a problem nowadays, but when the game first came out you might not have even been able to do all those insane jumps because your computer sucked too much.

Back in the old days, I used to play the poo poo out of a game that was I think based on the quake 3 engine. The magic frame rates were 76, 125 and 333 for better jumping performance. In retrospect I wonder how much that actually mattered and was just improved by people practicing.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Maxed out force speed is essentially a button to win the current combat encounter.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

I can't see this at work, but it's that loving boat, isn't it?

Yes!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Even the trailer is far too much to handle for me.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

The third had all the 'base' pokemon, but you still needed to trade to trigger some evolutions.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I love Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4. But by God, why is it not possible for the game to auto-pause when an ally calls you to war? Missing the window to reply (and all the negative consequences that come with auto-declining) is very realistic if you have it running on the highest speed. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it either, you can customise every. single. other. message you get, except that one. Why? Why is this glaring design flaw there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Didn't most of the relationship stuff literally vanish from the game after you took her out on a date or something? I can't remember her being involved in the game at all anymore after that.

Yes exactly. There were supposed to be choices and romantic subplots that gave different benefits, but it was all scrapped to one-date-per-person due to time(/money?) constraints.