Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Really? Most people complain about the quest markers making thins too easy. Which they do. That particular spot is bitch though, because unless you've done another quest, you really have no idea that there would/should be anything over there. The Strip and Freeside are laid out really awkwardly, between the engine/console limitations.

E: there is sort of a problem wherein without it you generally don't have the clues to find the objectives in your journal.

SpookyLizard has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Thats probably because the only reason to go to westside is a companion quest.

And i hate you for not helping arcade until your third playthrough.

You monster.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's also some NCR sidequests in that area but yeah that area can be a little anemic for reasons to be there.

And they're fairly minor NCR sidequests at that. you basically have to go talking/opening/reading everything in McCarran to find it. Arcade's quest directly goes there, and since he's the best (human) companion, why wouldn't you do his quest?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ammo is the bit of it that throws me, because it's one of the few real constraints on you and there aren't any pickups for it- you have to go and recharge everything.

Fortunately there is the auto-cache generation upgrade.

Why are you guys using guns? You have super powers. I never remember ammo ever being a concern in that game. Because literal super powers.

And the dubstep gun. Why arent you using the dubstep gun?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I would've really liked for the Wardens to be either new gangs or take on the personas of the old gang/bosses and/or an amalgamation of both. You'd alternate between doing missions to free your lieutenants, and then do missions to defeat the various gangs and the wardens to get more super powers, find out where your dudes are, and free them, etc etc. It would be much more fitting for the Boss to be tortured by the horrible poo poo that happened, and their past failures to bite them in rear end, or for their successes to be like 'nope that didn't happen.'

Only for those same things to be sodomized with a hadoken and beat to death with their own, weaponized, genitalia.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The biggest thing holding down Watch_Dogs is uplay.

The invasions and etc all belong in the good version of this thread, because they are good.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The car works in Fallout 2 because it just makes the over map travel faster. It wouldn't work in FNV/FO3 for the exact same reason. If they had broad expanses of wasteland connected by an overmap, it might work, but as it is, it's pointless.

There is a mod that gives you a driveable car. it's powered via explosions. There's another mod that gives you a sorta beat up old van you can fix up. While it has no manual controls, you can have it fast travel to a couple of different locations if you've been there before.

Personally, I like wandering around the wastes as fast or as slow as my feet will carry me. Reminded me of doing the same thing in STALKER.

(and that dart gun is for chumps)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Thats the mod i was talking about. Powered by explosions.

Tomb Raider does suffer from jank controls. The dodge button especially. Sometimes you can press it on its own and Lara will deftly dodge out of the way. Sometimes she just stands there and gets stabbed in the face.

Also guys who have nothing but sharp sticks charging the PC equipped with a machinegun. Why the gently caress do games need melee focused enemies? Its doubly tiresome in this because i have no hipfiring options. I would buy that they don't have no bullets, but every other guy has a bow, machine gun, or infinite molotovz. So i don't buy it. Double on the guys with ballistic shields. Because that is still s thing for some reason.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Give me a grappling hook too, make it first person Just Cause 2.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That Dynamic stuff was present to some degree in the original one, right? I know the Director placed/moved various items and spawns based on your progress and ability, but I don't remember for certain if it did other poo poo too. It certainly sounds like a fun as gently caress feature, though.

Also you also have issues with these spergs and their meta game, and their need for consistency. That the game needs to be balanced to their needs, so they can have the optimal run with the best time and the most efficient weapon.

Payday 2 has similar issues with it's higher difficulties. The game becomes bland and uniteresting, despite the high amounts of cop murder, because you need the exact right built with the right weapons with the right guns to even be able to complete the mission.

Which is loving stupid.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
People give you free money and you get mad? Free skill points and money to actually use them? You payday people are loving weird. No you just cant have fun! You have to earn it!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Pidmon posted:

Getting your account banned is real fuckin fun.
Having to wait months for the company to reverse the hacked cash on your account (while keeping a close eye on your money so you don't spend any of it until they fix it in case you get penalised) is fun too.

Wow, overkill sounds pretty lovely. How dare people not play their co-op only video game anyway but they intended. Those jerks!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Red Dead Redemption had a feature where holding the gallop button on a horse would let it become tethered to NPCs riding with you. So you didnt have to like do poo poo to follow someone. Was smart.

And NPCs should totally rubber and to you. Or atleast match speed with you.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bilperkins2 posted:

I never understand people who play console-centric games on PC and don't have a controller. Many console games are designed solely with controller in mind, some are downright unplayable on K&M. A wired Xbox controller is like $20.

It's probably because the xbox gamepad works great out of the box, but has weird ergonomics and it's unpleasant to use to begin with. The DS3 is better designed and has an actual dpad, but it's got those weird squishy triggers and was designed for a small child's hands. Also it's not all fancy plug and play and poo poo like the xbox gamepad is.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What weird hands do you have that the 360 pad doesn't fit perfectly.

Normal ones that don't like it's asymmetric design or that squishy, so called dpad.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 2.

The Lord of Bones won't talk to you until you prove yourself in the Arena by killing the Champion. Okay, you head to the Arena.

The Champion won't come out to fight you until you find three MacGuffins nearby. Whatever. Find the MacGuffins, kill the Champion, go back to talk to the Lord of Bones.

Well, he'll talk to you, but you can't get what you need until you find and return his three Dread Lords spread around the rest of the realm.

You head out, two of them are straightforward enough, but the third one won't submit until you find three different MacGuffins for him! Like, what the gently caress, this is Padding: The Game. At least the game is mechanically fun as hell, otherwise I would have tossed it a while ago.

Also, once you do bring back the Dread Lords to the dude, he just kills them on the spot anyway. What an rear end in a top hat!

Also, a ton of the sidequests are collectathons with no map markers. I have one to find various specters that I can't even see unless I'm wearing a certain amulet, another one to find four pieces of a giant golem, and several for finding various generic tokens that I can turn in for rewards. gently caress that, I'm not wasting my time without even some clues. Darksiders 2 is a fine game, but it's got so much of this filler, especially compared to the first game that was so tightly made and overall better.

This is basically what started killing my interest in Bioshock Infinite.

You start in some area, you have the option to go left or right. You go left and there isn't much there, you go right, then you find out you have to go left to be able to go right, and now you can go all the way left, to be able to come back and go right.

It's really, really, really lame.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I have thirty one minutes in BI because of this. It was utterly tedious bullshit and I knew I regretted my purchase, however discounted, right then.

The combat is pretty okay and fun until you find out you can only have two weapons, and on the higher difficulties, enemies who aren't mooks are nigh indestructible meat-sacks. Especially the clockwork patriots.

Gamepad chat:

Except they suck for shooters, RTS games, 4X's, RPGs, TBS, and using all of your buttons without losing access to the ability to look around.

The PSX had a solid gamepad to begin with, but they added the sticks, and then didn't move the other face buttons to somewhere where you could use them AND retain use of the only really good thing about gamepads (the sticks).

Maybe like platformer type games would be better on a gamepad, but I've been playing tomb raider fairly easily on kb/m.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bilperkins2 posted:

You joke but with certain games, using mouse with your right hand and this:

In your left hand actually is pretty awesome. Best of both worlds.

What is that? Because that seems like a good idea.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

swamp waste posted:

Face buttons and thumbsticks are both operated with your thumbs though. You only got so many thumbs. That's what the triggers are for.

Thats my point. It is dumb that they changed the design to include something youd always want (joysticks!), and then still have a bunch buttons that you cant use while using the sticks.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Do you mean your only opposable digit? I dont find my thumbs integral to my gaming with my mouse hand. I have a bunch of thumb buttons i use basically only when web browsing and in the occasional game when i remember they exist.

I also wouldnt consider a mouse thumb buttons a speciality mouse. Not that there arent mice with thumb buttons that are speciality mice , just that they arent mutually inclusive. For gaming, flexible and customizable DPI settings are more important than a couple of extra buttons on the mouse.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

DStecks posted:

I have two thumbs, and am right handed. Your thumbs have got the most fine control of your fingers, and K+M leaves the right thumb totally unused. Like, imagine if you had to steer your car with your elbows, and nobody questioned this.

Except you dont use your fingers at all to control the mouse, just to hold it. Its all on your arm and wrist to move it. Unless youre one of those weirdos who use a crazy strange grip to use a mouse. Theres no substitute for mouselook.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Doesnt make it not weird.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I have no sympathy for people who need markers and I hate developers who don't design things to be found without them. Fable did this; you had a big glowy trail you could follow any/everywhere, but you got nothing beyond vague directions of "over there" from NPCs.

The issue with TES games and people referring to your progess or whatever is that you have SO MANY options for where they could be referring to you by, that it inevitably picks the dumb ones. But ultimately, no one really treats you differently, despite being the world-famous hero of kvatch and slayer of dragons and literally incharge of every major political body in the area (legal, and illegal) and are on a first name basis with all actual governing bodies as well.

Despite all you accrue, most no one really gives a gently caress.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I'm playing Skyrim right now, and obviously there's just a huge host of problems with the game, everything from the terrible UI, the bad attempt at rebinding controls, stilted dialogue, unbalanced skill system, etc. But what really bugs me, and what shouldn't be allowed to be in any game, is when enemies cry out stuff like "Mercy!" as they get hit to the crowd, and start feebly crawling away. Because they're going to stand up and keep attacking you. So when someone says "No! Please, not like this, not like this!" and starts cowering in fear, I'm forced to either wait for them to attack or just murder the cowering figure in front of me, which makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat. Have them flee or something, not just immediately get up and start attacking again.

SKSE an SkyUI are pretty much immediately required for playing skyrim, much like the 4gb executable. At least they kinda unfucked the save system, so it's slightly better, so you don't need something like CASM. Of course they also made them extremely susceptible to save bloat, so new mods almost always require a new game.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

Ha, look a this guy who's never seen what happens when goon sperginess meets with a "branching" story line.

Its probably because its not a branching storyline

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The issue with is that instead of Shepards Continued Campaign Against the reapers, you go deal with a bunch of new guys you know like nothing about and who are more or less concluded within the game. It Harbinger had played a larger, more direct role in things, maybe it wouldve made more sense, but i was more or less disinterested in dealing with the colectors, especially with cerberus and dead shepard and etc.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think that despite very much enjoying the Mass Effect games when they came out, but now desiring to never ever play them again, stands out as a pretty decent criticism.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1, it had a pretty neat Sci-Fi Space Opera plot, a neat-ish twist, where you've only tangentally connected the dude to being a bad guy. The twist ended up being somewhat promising, and I had been faced with a series of decisions that seemed to have some degree of promise in the sequels. The combat was pretty mediocre, especially in boss fights, but it's told well enough, even though you have to do quite a few "exhaust all exposition options" conversations which are pretty lame. The non-shooty powers were pretty neat, and the shooty powers seemed fairly pointless because they had absurd cool downs.

ME2 had a really cool at-first but then also pretty dumb intro. You sorta get introduced to bad guys, but not really at all and then you get to do a murder time fun time tutorial where you meet Cerberus who were these semi-nameless/faceless bad guys in the first game. Who are now crazy-pro-human group and no longer a spec-ops uni that went off the reservation. You get some new bad guys to fight, and there's an okay twist that was kinda obvious by the time it happens. Ultimately instead of really dealing with the big bads of the trilogy from the get go, you're sort of tangentally beating up their minions

You sorta have this neat suicide mission thing but it's kinda self-defeating because the game gives you no sense of urgency until the very end and if you do it any earlier you're only skipping content of the game. They also wait until the last minute to give you the best companion.

The gun play was dramatically improved, but the non-gunplay super powers really sucked, what with them feeling weak as poo poo and having one single cooldown.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think the thing that drags a lot of games down when people talk about story telling is that most people don't have a loving grasp on interactive story telling. A lot of people apparently think that instead of watching someone else shoot the man, you shoot the man.

Which it isn't.

Good video game stories should let you have no small amount of control over things that happen. it doesn't have to be every single action. The story can even be pretty linear. You have to get the Water Chip, you have to defeat the BBEG, you have to save the world. That's fine. That's how stories work.

The issue is that you usually have little to no choice in other things to do or places to go. This is a complete waste, because the main point of having an interactive story, is that you, y'know, interact with it. Preferably by a means other than violence and murder. Multiple solutions are important, but that's not even what I'm talking about.

What I mean is that games that are open world can be linear in their main story, because when you have a properly done open world game, the other things you do that aren't directly the main quest, the side quests help you progress the main quest. The Fallout games are a great example of this. Especially 1/2, which had the clever trick of placing neat things between where you are and where you're going. You step out of Vault 13 with the directions to Vault 15, and half way there you stumble into Shady Sands, where you're free (and more or less encouraged to faff about in Shady Sands. Learn about the wasteland, meet new people, become friends, solve problems, shoot bugs, blow poo poo up.

Quests you're given frequently lead you to other places or along the critical path that ultimately progress you to your goal. New Vegas is fantastic for this. Each quest along the critical path leads you to finding out more information about Benny, or to provide direction for where to go. The critical path is in fact so good at guiding you to Vegas that many people are unaware that are other ways to Vegas.

This is good. It allows the player to carry on with the original design, or gently caress off it and wind up at Vegas of their own accord. Where things carry on as normal because Benny is already there. You can go back and do all the other quests because they still exist and won't resolve on their own. Which is good.

Once you've reached Vegas, and entered the 38 and recovered the chip, the game starts to open up proper. Everyone wants you to work for them, and you're, in essence, given a series of quests in parallel. There are a number of things that everyone wants you to do, which lets you play everyone against the middle well for a bit, until you hit a breaking point where you must pick a side. Of course, the pacing still (more or less) allows you run around and explore and do different things. The Second Battle of Hoover Dam will (somewhat conveniently) wait for you to be ready to commence. It's on the horizon, but far enough away that you're not worried about being late because you're exploring a vault or Zion or whatever.

This is good. The main story of the game is still there. You can't "finish" the game without it. The story shifts from just "the main story" to "All the things the courier did in, during, and around chasing benny/getting the chip/taking over the worldregion".

This is a thing more games need, instead of being focused on making cinematic action setpieces where you get to be Jason Statham or Bruce Willis or whatever.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And those folks and their strokes are wrong <:mad:>

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

One thing that always bugs me about games is when people market them by saying stuff like "It's got x km in it! That's x times the size of <recently-released-large-open-world-game>!"

Doesn't matter how big a world is if it has a ton of open space with nothing in it. Heck, did you know that Daggerfall is still by and large the largest landmass ever in a video game?

And the size and amount of content has nothing on the quality of content. So theres that too.

Personally I found Skyrim to just be more polished oblivion, and oblivion filled me up on TES games for basically ever.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Not every game can be New Vegas and I am okay with that. :unsmith:

I would be okay with it if people would be more aware of why and how it's good instead of it getting glossed over for other, less good video games.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

kazil posted:

Yeah, Fallout New Vegas sure is a game that didn't have a lot of success...

That is not what I said nor what I meant and your sarcasm is only helping you to miss the point.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

kazil posted:

FO:NV is the perfect game for story telling and all other games should aspire to be just like it we get it.

indeed please go the polar extreme ah yes exactly what i wanted and meant

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

swamp waste posted:

Spooky Lizard I don't think a single person here disagrees with, or even doesn't already know, what you said about New Vegas. The contentious part is "more games should be like this instead of action set-pieces" and it's like, why, in what way are these things competing with each other, why shouldn't they be able to coexist

my name doesnt have a space in it

the point im trying to make is that is sad/disappointing/horrible that instead of trying to do new or interesting or otherwise different things many many games are just trying to be movies

which is dumb

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Use mods, you pleb.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If there's one thing Fallout needs, it's trees. FO2 had the same murky-brown graphics as FO1, but adding trees gave the setting a little diversity. The addition of some flora to the ecosystem would really give the next game an aesthetic edge.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39856/

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Esroc posted:

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall is a huge step up from the original campaign, but christ the story party members are the most useless loving scrubs I've ever had to carry through an RPG. I'm currently on the last mission and while my character consistently crits 30+ damage with every shot and almost never misses, these assholes miss four out of five shots and only do around 15 damage on average when they do bother to hit their target. Especially loving Dietrich, who can't get through a simple milkrun without two trauma kits and platinum med unit.

Dietrich isnt a combat troop, you idiot. His whole job is casting haste on glory.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is basically what Saints Row, especially SR2, did right straight out of the gate. The first game you're a silent protagonist who makes a couple of jokes and just nods and goes out and kills tons of people. Then you play SR2 and the game goes "Did the PC kill everyone last game? YUP. Make him a psychopath" and then you're blood crazed lunatic and surround yourself, more or less, with more blood crazed lunatics. Well Gat, Shaundi and Pierce, but Gat counts as five or six lunatics on his own.

"There's no statute of limitations on murder"
"Why the gently caress not!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Metal Gear has the same problem. It gives you a bazillion neat guns, all intricately and lovingly modeled, and then smacks you on the knuckles for using them.