Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The writing crew kept gushing about how awesome Hawke and the NPCs were, too. It's like the inverse of that guy who kept back pedalling to make Far Cry 3 as a deconstruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would be nice we had a game where said Jackbooted Thug can be loyal to his original employer, though. Goddammit I joined up with this corporation to prove I'm better than other people and make a shitload of money. I don't wanna be ethical. :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Metal Gear Rising is a fantastic game, but the camera is absolutely maddening. On the higher difficulties you live or die based on your ability to dodge and parry which is very well balanced...until the camera decides you really, really, really want to look at a wall or have a bout of sickness brought on by spinning out of control. It's annoying to lose half your health to that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

The Low Chaos ending goes on about a "golden age" and and how wonderful and enlightened Emily is while the high chaos ending harps about "mountains of corpses", so people can be forgiven for thinking it's a morality system when it comes off as something out of Fable.

One of the first tutorial messages is also a massive :siren: KILLING PEOPLE WILL LEAD TO A BAD ENDING :siren: pop-up. Coupled with the lack of consistency mentioned earlier and yeah, it comes across as a cheap morality system. The High Chaos ending is more thematically appropriate, but it feels kind of sour that the game tries to pretend there's any significant moral depth.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm not disputing the actual mechanics behind it, but people are trying to paint the distinction as something deeper than mass murderer/saint. If you're 'peaceful' the game bends over backwards to smother you with how awesome everything turns out and how great a person you are.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Saboteur automatically cleared your wanted level with certain hiding spots. You weren't crouched in a bush twiddling your thumbs. It's not evading the police, it's the tedium involved.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I loved Bioshock 2, but definitely think the way you were so agile and quick counted against it. If the game made a bigger deal out of you being a hulking machine cyborg human flesh monstrosity thing, rather than cobbling together quick bollocks about you being super special and fast, it would have been more satisfying I think. Design the combat around you being a Big Daddy (and having to compensate for the comparatively quicker and more agile enemies) rather than being a reskinned human.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Well you weren't a Big Daddy like in the first one, you were an Alpha Series. You are basically wearing a leather jumpsuit and an old diving helmet. Definitely not something that should be super fast, but nowhere near the hulking, armored monstrosity that the BS1 Big Daddies are. You actually fight a few in one of the levels and they go down pretty easy. I think one of the audio logs mentions how they decided to upgrafe the armor to iron, seeing as how the Alpha series went down fairly easily.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Wasn't too clear. :v:

I didn't like the 'alpha' aspect to make you stand out. Maybe a slow, bruising brawler dude wouldn't have leant itself to the experience very well, I dunno.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Verdugo even wags his finger at you, T-1000 style, if you miss with the rocket launcher.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Amana's a terrible slog that is completely trivalized by a single weapon you're never encouraged to use again. It's such a misstep.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

J-Spot posted:

I expected a nice little "quest failed" thing to pop up like it does in the Fallout games. Instead Boethia possesses the corpse of one of the cultists, chastises me for killing all of her followers, and proceeds to give me the quest to bring her a human sacrifice anyway.

Wrong thread. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That cracked me up about SW:TOR. There was a PCGamer UK article where Bioware reps were going on about how they saved 500k or so on the budget by reusing dialogue lines, but skimped over how much the entire budget was - reputedly around 200 million. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Electrocutioner being a joke is kind of the entire point of him being there. He's a D-lister, way in over his head. Even regular goons rip into him for that. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Weirdly enough, Inquisition's achievements won't even appear on screen despite playing that loud buzzer noise. Scared the poo poo out of me the first time as I thought it meant I'd chosen a lethal dialogue option or something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's such a petty thing to bug me, but in Alien Isolation Amanda Ripley has little noodle arms when using tools in first person. Dammit woman you're an engineer who works for a living, you should be buffer than that. :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Moon Monster posted:

Enemies in Dargon Age Inquisition become extremely hard to hit with melee weapons if they're lieing on the ground or floating two feet in the air (those awful demon ice mages!). You can hit them, it just seems like the game has a hard time realizing you're trying to attack that enemy rather than swinging your daggers through mid air.

Annoyingly this also applies to ranged attacks, as they're always aimed at the torso. If your target falls over then whoops bye bye to half your shots and attacks that hit the ground in front.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's not even offline bot murder fun time? gently caress.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

This only happens with the male gay characters too, they never have the female ones do this weird poo poo. Who wants to watch an awkward sex scene after the one guy cries about his dead husband in mass effect 3?

Haha, oh man, if you want awkward lesbian romances then DA:I has you covered. Why yes lets talk about how I shaved an animal into my pubic hair while you make crude innuendo a six year old would find hilarious. :shepface:

Sera's such a horrible character.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's not a joke by the way.

I appreciate Bioware is taking a more progressive slant with their characters, but holy poo poo it's heavy handed to the point of being embarrassing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a bunch of traps scattered around the village as well, including a couple that are infinite use.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Matthew Perry got the job because he gushed about his Fallout 3 character and really really really really wanted a part guys please hire me. :saddowns:

I find that kind of sweet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Maybe this changes at some point but I have no idea why I have all these options when they all functionally do the same thing which is "call the alien who just kills everything."

Which section of the game have you gotten up to? There's a surprising amount of variety, particularly in the second half of the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Elysiume posted:

That's why I said you can't do it after the fact. A large group of people likely don't even know charm tables exist, and a larger group probably didn't find out until they'd sunk a lot of time into the game.

That was the joke, you goof.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sardonik posted:

So Far Cry 4 is a very great game to be sure, and inarguably better than Far Cry 3 in its more nuanced storytelling and mostly improved gameplay, but it ends its story about 1-3 chapters too soon.

To be specific, the final three campaign missions of the game should have been you seizing control of The Golden Path by taking out the obviously corrupt leader still alive, and becoming capital K King of Kyrat. That they left that plot thread dangling seemed like such a drat shame. I will say they handled Pagan Min very well, especially in the ending though. A much more satisfying ending than 3, and many other games.

On this one if you spare Pagan Min he'll officially declare you King, or at least as officially as he can given the circumstances, and if you wander around in post game you can find the surviving Golden Path leader and kill them after a short cutscene. Sabal is hanging around the temple though I'm not sure where Amita is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ooooh, right, I get you now. I thought the complaint is that there wasn't any closure, not that it wasn't dramatic enough. :downs:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Replaying Hotline Miami and the semi-random AI and weapon drops irritates me. It's a game about reflexes and high speed, so when you can be killed in one shot and the same person can react in different ways and drop different stuff it can really throw off the game's otherwise fantastic rhythm.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Non-lethal fates are arguably far, far worse than death for the primary targets as well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Arkham Asylum sorta kinda missed the point of that part of her character. I don't really remember her part in Arkham City but I think they fixed it a little? Maybe?

When Joker's out of the picture she's shown to be deadlier and a far more tangible threat - she's no longer under someone's heel so working towards her own thing. Not necessarily better but I always under the impression her being kind of incompetent when working for Mr Jay was intentional.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Bombers" in Dying Light are your typical suicide zombie. Unlike, say, every single other bloody version of such an enemy in other games they're near silent (screaming only a half-second before they explode and sometimes not even then) without any distinct appearance except for easily missed blood boils.

They can kill you in one hit. :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
ModernWarfare2Boycott.jpg

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would you stop enabling him, jesus christ guys.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You joke but that's not too far from the actual truth. AJ is seen as something of a rallying call for the Golden Path and his presence spurs them on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The plot was never important - and nowhere near as deep as people made out - but it was structured well: it provided a neat reason to be doing what you were doing and connected the levels together in a way that gave you controlled moments of downtime between each slaughter.

HM2's plot has a lot more going on but it's all over the place with far more banter and it jumps all everywhere between roughly ten characters or so. Feels very much like they put more emphasis on the wrong things when it came to story.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DStecks posted:

I'm really not sure how people come away from Hotline Miami, a game about being a literally insane murderer on a chaotic killing spree, and say "this dumb game is too chaotic and unpredictable!" Sometimes you just get hosed by the RNG, which is why the game lets you reload immediately with no penalty or load time.

The game isn't about figuring out the one correct route, it's about zoning out and reacting moment to moment and just going for it. It's not Hitman.

Both games hammer it into you that "enemies are predictable". They are not. hth.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think the repetitive character model is a memory thing. As I understand it as the game goes on, or you have higher specs to play with, more and more varieties will be loaded on. It's purely anecdotal but I get a lot of generic white women zombies when I first start the game but then a lot more diverse crowd a couple hours after.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bloodborne's community seems a touch more accomodating than DS' so far, although Zaphod is doing his damndest to make sure Genocyber's contradictory spirit lives on in the SA thread.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

10 Beers posted:

Were you mean to Krem, Iron Bull's first officer or whatever? There's one chat option you can click, where you basicslly disparage Krem for being transgendered, and it will absolutely wreck your approval and ability to do personal quests for your teammates.

It's worth repeating this every single time it comes up: you get less approval for explicitly enslaving and forcing an entire group to work for you, at sword point. In fact some characters approve of you doing so.

The mean to transgender person = worse than actual genocide thing is cringey as hell.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure, actions and words have consequences but I just find it hilarious how ridiculously heavy handed and disproportionate it is next to the other stuff you can do in the game. I'm all for more representation of minorities but wrapping them in cotton wool to such an extent feels kind of patronizing.

I mean at the risk of derailing the thread, in Pillars of Eternity the "good" option for a quest is to snap the neck of a rape victim, but all outrage towards the game has been aimed at a limerick. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought Fallout would end with the vault dying off or mutants over-running the place if you took too long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, Diablo 3's loot system has come on leaps and bounds since release but it's getting irritating now that I'm at the end game and can't go higher in difficulty purely because none of the loot drops are improving my character's skills. :downs:

swamp waste posted:

I can't really talk poo poo because when game morality gets too close to reality, where being moral really IS disincentivized bigtime, it can be legit stressful. Like Papers Please or that conquistador game, where if you try to do the right thing the game is absolutely willing to go "OK cool, you lose then"

Oh don't get me wrong I perfectly understand why people would want this sort of stuff to come up in games, I'm just not convinced that developers such as Bioware handle it with the sort of skill it really needs. Doing everything short of staring at the camera and reciting THIS IS BAD just, to me, reeks as way too heavy handed to be taken seriously - especially in the context of orcs and goblins and dragons. I dunno, Krem was a fantastic character which is why I thought the politics surrounding him felt kinda weird. It was as if Bioware included the guy just so they could make a point rather than have an interesting character.