Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I love RPG games. I love JRPG games, even if they're anime as gently caress. You know what I don't like? Playing through like 3/4ths of a game only to find out I've gimped myself by putting my skill points in poo poo that apparently doesn't have any effect on the game. I shouldn't have to research games before I play them just to make sure I'm not going to make the game unplayable for myself if I choose the wrong skill tree to want to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Which is a shame, because I loving love thief builds. One of the worst games for that was Dragon Age. If you didn't build your rogue or mage exactly right, you were pretty much hosed.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I thought this was very interesting and well put. Have you ever seen that one egoraptor video where he goes into classic Zelda and current Zelda and the implications of plot vs gameplay? I'm on my phone, so I can't link it right now, but I'll link it in later. Give it a watch if you get a moment.

Content: the current trend in games where it sends like game designers are more concerned with making their games pretty than actually making it fun or engaging to play. I'm not saying I don't like beautiful games- I do. I'm mostly just tired of games that are more about "look what we can do with the graphics engine! " than actual fun.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I've started playing through Last Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's got some pretty good parts to it so far, but there are a few things that bug me. For the side bracer quests, half the time it's not clear where to find the people you need to talk to in order to start/complete them. Some, like exterminating monsters, are relying on the monsters actually spawning and half the time it takes running back and forth over the area they're supposed to be in like six times before they finally spawn. Also, there are not enough rest points. I just went through six floors of monsters, can you please give me a rest point? No? Okay, then, gently caress you, game. Blegh.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know where you are in the game, but I'm about halfway through the game and none of the exterminate sidequests required a random monster. They're stationary and generally kinda obvious, unless you're looking at a weird angle.

What does drag the game down is the slothlike pace of the combat. It takes so goddamn long to murder trash mobs, and they sometimes just run right for you instead of being cool and letting me walk around them. If this game had Earthbound's "You win!" mechanic, it would be like 10x as great, especially since said trash mobs give you like, 1 xp each. I also wouldn't say no to a way to change generally useless money to septium, either.

Maybe I'm not looking right, then. I'm in Bose, and it's the mission on the way Bose highway. I'm only finding trash mobs. And yeah, agreed on the slowness of combat. I like the strategy part of the system, but holy drat does it take a long time to kill poo poo

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So I just picked up State of Decay, and while I'm really enjoying it, the AI is so loving dumb that it's really throwing me off. My allies just cannot figure out basic pathing. At all. It's like, dude you just watched how I climbed up this thing, get up here. But instead they run back and forth like idiots.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Lotish posted:

I don't know if they've changed it, but when Lifeline came out they made survivors so fragile that often they'd drop as soon as a zombie came near them, which honestly turns them into a serious liability.

Playing Vanilla, thank god. At least my survivors can take a little bit of a beating.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Len posted:

This is such a common feature in RPGs and it's easily my least favorite. The party enters this big city and goes "Let's go talk to X" and then you have to wander around this place you've never been to until you find the NPC to talk to. Alternatively cutscene magic puts you in the kings chambers and then you have to go talk to all your party members that have scattered trough the town.

Or those really lovely "you must talk to literally everyone in the town" quests. Just so... you know how to talk to people? I dunno, these just always struck me as goddamn stupid. Why do I have to talk to this rear end in a top hat NPC kid that has nothing of value to tell me? Why not just talk to the townsfolk that matter, like the blacksmith, potions dealer, magic seller and whoever that really obvious weirdo looking guy in the tavern is.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I got Mario Sticker Star for Christmas. Goddamn, this game is tedious as gently caress.

The worst thing right now is that goddamn crown sticker popping up every three seconds to tell me poo poo I already have figured out. Piss off, you Navi wannabe.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Pretty much, yeah. I think my mom got it because I used to play Super Mario RPG when I was a kid. It's a nice thought, but goddamn this game is not very fun.

On the plus side, I got a bunch of other games that are amazing, so all's well.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

God drat the camera in Shin Megami Tensie IV is rear end. Why yes I love having to constantly tap b just to make sure I'm not gonna get shanked by some demons I can't even see because the camera wants to just chill facing the last wall I was running towards why do you ask?

Seriously, I'm loving the game so far but the camera is just so bad. Why couldn't they have at least mapped the L/R keys to camera movement? WHY?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

This is something that happens in a bunch of games that just bothers me- I hate hand holding tutorials that don't allow you to skip them. I know how to do the thing, just give me an option that says "yup, know what I'm doing" so I can get on with the game itself. Is it really so hard to do? gently caress sakes, I shouldn't have to make a save file after I begin the game just so I can skip the tutorial the next time I want to start a new game.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

That is awful. Right now I'm having a problem with restarting Persona 3. YES I GET ALL THE poo poo THANK YOU CAN I PLEASE JUST GET ON WITH EXPLORING TARTARUS NOW?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So since I actually have cause to play my 3DS again, there's something dragging down all my games.

Nintendo, how long has it been since the GBA? Why can we still not get a handheld with a screen that works in natural light. I live in a place that's sunny as hell, and any time it's not overcast, if I'm outside I can not see anything on screen. It kind of defeats the purpose of using a hand held system.

Uuuugh thank you. I like to sit outside in the garden when it's warm and play games but gently caress if I can see anything.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I love the Harvest Moon series, but I always hate how early game is basically just waiting around for things to happen.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

On the topic of parents playing video games...

When I was really really little, like, 3, my mom got a SNES with Final Fantasy and Super Mario World. I used to say I'd want to play, so she'd give me a controller that wasn't plugged in and then I'd think I was playing while she was kicking rear end and taking names.

She still loves Mario to this day.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

WOULD YOU GUYS ALL SHUT UP JESUS loving CHRIST

A THING DRAGGING A GAME DOWN: I HAVE TO WAIT FOR GRACIE TO SHOW UP IN MY TOWN IN ANIMAL CROSSING AND IT ANNOYS ME

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Len posted:

These dark aeons in FFX remaster can go gently caress themselves. I'll be exploring and BOOM suddenly I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by an optional boss that gets an ambush and hits for 99,999.

have you hit dark Yoshimitsu yet. That guy can go eat all the dicks. ALL OF THEM.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Len posted:

I ran into a dark Yojimbo. He wasn't as poo poo as the Magus Sisters. First killed Lulu, second Auron, and then the third did their overdrive on Wakka who was the only person standing. He ate 7 hits at 99,999 each. Wasted a shitload of my time too because I only needed one hit to game over me but I had to watch the whole thing.

It's been ages since I played just because of this bullshit. Iirc, though, if you can manage to kill off at least one of the sisters, they can't delta attack you and wreck your poo poo.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Contrecoup posted:

I love the concept, the feel of combat, and most of the features in Monster Hunter 4, but the controls are the absolute worst loving garbage I have ever experienced. The game is completely unplayable without melee and a drat struggle with it. They were either intentionally designed to be godawful or made for someone not human.

This is why I had to take Shin Megami Tensei 4 back to the store and trade it in. The camera controls were the worst loving controls for a camera. Why not jsut bind left rotation to the left trigger and vice versa for the right? No, let's have the camera control be a single button that you pretty much have to mash constantly to keep demons from jumping right up your bunghole because you're busy trying to get the camera to a position you can see in. gently caress.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I also enjoyed FO3 more than FNV. I spent way more time just loving about in the wilderness and exploring and actually feeling like a wasteland wanderer than in FNV. It seemed like I couldn't do much exploring in FNV.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing dragging New Vegas, and the post-apocalyptic genre in general, down for me is the LP I'm watching where the LPer is acting pretty much like a snarky person would if transported into the game: relentlessly mocking the setting, characters, and game mechanics and just about crapping his pants any time anything actually threatening happens. It's a very funny LP, but it makes any attempt at earnest sincerity in a game where people have the technology to maintain powered armor suits but have lost the ability to repair fences like the world's most hosed-up Civ tech tree, well, laughable.

What LP is this? It sounds amazing.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

The Secret World is a fun game and it's got a lot of charm.

That said, it's absolutely schizo in it's difficulty areas. In the first area, there's literally only a few feet between trash mobs and one that can completely wreck your poo poo in one of the more heavily trafficked areas of the game. It's like that for missions, too. Sometimes you'll take a mission rated "Normal" and get your rear end handed to you, and other times you'll take one rated "Very Hard" and breeze right through. I wish it was more consistent with it's difficulty.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

oh god, I'm terrified my build isn't sustainable. I do okay soloing most of the time, but you never really know until later if the build you've picked is crippled or not.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tried to get into the Witcher series- hated the controls in one, so gave up on it. My friend was like "just skip to two you won't miss much and the controls are way better!" So I did. The controls are... just as awful, tbh. I'll just resign myself to watching LPs.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

why does every single video game 1.) have to have a jungle level 2.) have the jungle level be the most tedious, repetitive, longest poo poo ever

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Path of Exile has been so fun so far but this loving jungle bullshit will not end

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Attestant posted:

Could be worse, could be a jungle expansion.

I legitimately made a pained groan

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

It’s funny you bring up Path of Exile because it’s the only D2-style ARPG that doesn’t have a lovely garbage desert in its second act.

Torchlight 2 has it, Sacred has it, Titan Quest has it, Grim Dawn has it.

Yup, and path of exile decided to replace it with a lovely jungle instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

major complaint of neir automata: too easy to not do the main quest because I'm busy fuckign around looking at the scenery and riding moose